Will DBS end with the End of Z?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

darkpit06

Will DBS end with the End of Z?

Post by darkpit06 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:45 pm

As a fan of Dragon Ball Super, I'm very much looking forward to what the future holds for this manga, especially with the adaptation of Super Hero having wrapped up.

That being said, there is one thing that I'm concerned about: the End of Z.

As we all know, Super takes place after the events of the Majin Buu Saga, but before the final chapters of DBZ, where Goku meets and begins to train Uub. And now, we're nearing Goku and Uub's fated meeting, making me wonder what could happen to Super as a whole.

Which is to say, do you think Super could ultimately end with Goku meeting Uub and beginning to train him, just as in Z?

For me, I do not want that happening. If anything, with all of the changes Super did to certain characters before Goku and Uub's meeting (Bulma is still looking youthful compared to her appearance in the End of Z), it's possible that they'll overwrite the original ending altogether.

And I want that to happen. Overwrite the End of Z, and create a truly limitless future for Dragon Ball. Instead, they could include a whole arc centred around Goku training Uub, them continue Super with more adventures.

Besides, there are other stories that DBS is teasing besides Goku meeting Uub. After all, Black Frieza's still out there, and Vegeta is still waiting to go the Planet Sadala. So after Goku meets Uub, those two plot points could be the next big goalposts for Super as a whole.

I just don't want Super to end just because Goku is this close to meeting Uub. But what do you think? Could Super end with the End of Z? Or will it go well beyond it?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Will DBS end with the End of Z?

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 pm

From both the storytelling and marketing POV it would make the most sense to me to 'end' Super at EOZ and then just have a new series continue further, under a new brand label. That would keep Super strictly as Z's interquel/midquel and separate from the true post-EOZ sequel series, if that ever happens.

Esp if you think about Super's lenght - it's already at 131 episodes and if they decide to do part 2 with adapting manga material and movies (Broly, Moro, Granolah, SuperHero, upcoming 3rd manga act) that would easily add another ~100 anime episodes. So 230+ in total is a lot IMO for a Z "suplement" series, compared to original's 291 eps or Kai's 160+.

And I don't see the need to retcon/overwrite EOZ. It's so small and self contained that it still fits and they've been setting up Uub throughout Super multiple times already. Just leave it as it is.

But that's just my personal preferences, in the end stuff like names/brand mostly get decided by thr marketing departaments based on whatever they feel will bring the most $$$. So it may still be called Super for the next 50 years or something completly different.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:21 pm

darkpit06 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:45 pm

Besides, there are other stories that DBS is teasing besides Goku meeting Uub. After all, Black Frieza's still out there, and Vegeta is still waiting to go the Planet Sadala. So after Goku meets Uub, those two plot points could be the next big goalposts for Super as a whole.

I just don't want Super to end just because Goku is this close to meeting Uub. But what do you think? Could Super end with the End of Z? Or will it go well beyond it?
As someone who does like Dragon Ball quite a bit: Sometimes it is absolutely a good thing to let things die a dignified death. As far as I'm concerned, DBZ ended in the best way it could and I don't see the point in "overwriting EoZ to have limitless stories." DBZ has an ending and I would rather they stuck with that because there's absolutely no way anything they come up with would be as good as Z anyways.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:43 pm

Basaku wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 pm And I don't see the need to retcon/overwrite EOZ. It's so small and self contained that it still fits and they've been setting up Uub throughout Super multiple times already. Just leave it as it is.
Honestly so many major details about EoZ have been retconned that it'd be kinda goofy for it to happen the same way lol.

Would be hilarious if Bulma ages like 20 years in just one year though :lol:.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:46 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:43 pm
Basaku wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 pm And I don't see the need to retcon/overwrite EOZ. It's so small and self contained that it still fits and they've been setting up Uub throughout Super multiple times already. Just leave it as it is.
Honestly so many major details about EoZ have been retconned that it'd be kinda goofy for it to happen the same way lol.

Would be hilarious if Bulma ages like 20 years in just one year though :lol:.
It will be yeah, but in the end it's still minor/lesser details. Easier to brush aside that Bulma's facelift """wore off""" than forget about an entire panteon of gods, saiyan transformations, fusions, techniques, characters, events, timelines to make GT work for example ;)