Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:36 pm

They try to use a gun against Gohan which feels a dumb thing to do.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:52 pm

Well what the fuck do you know? This was actually a pretty decent chapter. Fun character moments! Plot progression! A year late? Sure, but it’s something.

And hey Black Freeza mention! I’m actually interested to see what happens next chapter. Good Job DBS!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:30 pm

It's a bit odd we're already one chapter into this new arc or whatever this is and we have no indication of what it is. The Moro arc presented Moro in promotional material right away, the Granolah arc presented Granolah right away and the Superhero arc showcased the mini Goten and Trunks arc in the first chapter, and I believe it was advertised also before the chapter was released.

Yet this chapter has been released and not only do we not have a main antagonist or deuteragonist, we have no indication of the premise and we have no confirmation this is an "arc" at all. There's been zero promotion of this as a continuation of the story. Even though it's most likely setting something up, you wouldn't be charged for thinking this is an epilogue to the Superhero arc.

I hope we're not in for 11 months of "filler" and dilly-dallying until it's time to adapt Daima.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm

Hmmm, there's too much positivity in this thread, it's time for me to nitpick!

Toyotarou's Goku looks way too young, his face is so round and his neck is too thin:

We're one year away from EoZ where he's supposed to look like this.

But I suppose this goes for Krillin and Bulma too, they look way too young.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:30 pm It's a bit odd we're already one chapter into this new arc or whatever this is and we have no indication of what it is. The Moro arc presented Moro in promotional material right away, the Granolah arc presented Granolah right away and the Superhero arc showcased the mini Goten and Trunks arc in the first chapter, and I believe it was advertised also before the chapter was released.

Yet this chapter has been released and not only do we not have a main antagonist or deuteragonist, we have no indication of the premise and we have no confirmation this is an "arc" at all. There's been zero promotion of this as a continuation of the story. Even though it's most likely setting something up, you wouldn't be charged for thinking this is an epilogue to the Superhero arc.

I hope we're not in for 11 months of "filler" and dilly-dallying until it's time to adapt Daima.
I thought about this too, it's weird. Perhaps it's because it's gonna be the final Super saga and they're setting up the announcement bit longer/later for but honestly, who knows anymore. None of the Shueisha's decisions since like 2022 made much sense really :wtf:
The Monkey King wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm But I suppose this goes for Krillin and Bulma too, they look way too young.
That + modern Toriyama style of drawing everyone young and stick-figure thin which Toyo has to honor to some degree. At least he adds some muscules despite Toriyama protesting

Let's be glad they aged Trunks and Goten 1 year before EOZ and not just a day before :lolno:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:15 pm

The first chapter worth reading in about a year.. Feels good to be actively engaged again.. let’s just see where this goes. I have no high hopes for anything, just take what they throw at us as it comes and go from there.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:30 pmI hope we're not in for 11 months of "filler" and dilly-dallying until it's time to adapt Daima.
Goku is about to embark on an 11 month sparring match with Gohan right in front of the latter's house.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm Hmmm, there's too much positivity in this thread, it's time for me to nitpick!

Toyotarou's Goku looks way too young, his face is so round and his neck is too thin:

We're one year away from EoZ where he's supposed to look like this.

But I suppose this goes for Krillin and Bulma too, they look way too young.
Also Chi-Chi and Bulma are supposed to have wrinkles lol

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 pm

I really don't know what to expect, I can only be sure that the next arc will not have RR
Actually, going back to a joke I made, even if Carmine awakens a android to fight both Goku and Gohan, I still think it would only be made to serve as a bridge, Gohan shows his new beast form to Goku, Goku uses UI and the two defeat this villain, that's it, I really don't think they want anymore RR.
The only other feeling I have is that this next arc could be the finale of Super, and it's not because of Daima, I mean, Daima contributed to it, but I've been thinking about it for a while, I personally never expected the new arc to be Black Freeza arc/Freeza 3, for me since Black Freeza's reveal it always more likely a ToP 2, this "reunion" made it even more plausible for me along with all the new characters introduced in U7 after ToP 1 ended. I think it would be a good way to end Super, just like the ToP was a good finale for the anime imo, and of course, all Dragon Balls so far ended with a Tournament.
if it's not ToP 2 then I really don't know, I'm open to anything as long it's not a retelling.
The Monkey King wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm
Honestly I think Goku only looks older in that EoZ page because of Toriyama's art style changing towards the end of the manga, just look at many of his arts in the manga from late 94 and 95, the chapter where Vegeta sacrifices against Boo even has a cover art where Toriyama redrawn Vegeta from Saiyajin Saga and there he seems much "older" when compared to the way he was drawn in the actual saga in 89.
There are as well some classic arts by Toriyama from 95 where he drew non-EoZ Goku with the same face as that from the second image. Plus there are many EoZ panels where Goku don't look old, and the extra pages made for the kanzenban release makes that change in art style even more clear.

Toyotaro's Goku unlike Toriyama's Goku never changes simply because his art style had little to no changes in almost a decade (I'm just talking about the way he draws the characters, I'm not talking about if he improved anatomy over time or anything like that)

So there is a reason why in the anime for example, Goku's face in EoZ is the same as in late Boo arc. Even the thick neck is art related, some artists as Yamamuro and Kubota seem to like it but others as Nakatsuru not so much, specially Shintani, they do it when they think it looks cool.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:09 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:15 pm The first chapter worth reading in about a year.. Feels good to be actively engaged again.. let’s just see where this goes. I have no high hopes for anything, just take what they throw at us as it comes and go from there.
Agreed. I loved this chapter so much, and I can't figure out if its because its that good or just because it's new. Either way I'm excited again.

And even though its funny, its also kind of f'd up that Goku only shows up because Gohans stronger and he can try to whoop his ass now. What a dad.

I like the idea of Broly training to the point where he's the only one who can defeat Freeza. Great character and power arc for him.

Gohan's beast form was FANTASTIC in this chapter too. AT really killed the art there, it looked like it was almost too powerful for this dimension. Such great pages.

Very interested in the obvious spar between Goku and Gohan next chapter. My guess is Gohan will be more powerful, but Goku's control of his TUI form and experience will land him on top. Meanwhile, Broly and Vegeta keep at it and as Broly more slowly but more permanently gains control of his power, Vegeta is forced to level up to compete.

I see the scene of Vegeta taking Broly's fist to the forehead happening again, but in Ultra Ego, and Vegeta saying this time all he did was give him more power.

Just have a REALLY good feeling about this arc. Think its gonna make up for the last year being a retell.
Planet Namek Bred

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:35 pm

This chapter is the perfect example of "Don't judge a book by its cover".
The title and drafts made it seem like it would be a boring chapter and turned out to be a great one. Just like the other 3 prequel Super Hero chapters.

DBS slice of life content really is the best of the franchise and I can also feel how comfortable Toyotaro feels doing this.
It's cool to see Gohan going beast mode easily as opposite to the stupid idea that he wasn't sure he could still use SSJ in ROF, because he had been slacking.

Will Gohan help Broly controlling his anger? Didn't thought about that before, but makes sense if they go that way.
It's good to be excited for DBS manga. Last year was a nightmare.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 pm

A really cute and fun bridging Chapter, but it seems like it's setting up another bridging Chapter in 102. A lot of elements got brought together here, and 102 probably needs to either pare them down again or, if we're running with multiple strands, organise them so it's clearer as to where the story might go from there.

I like how it carried forward some elements of the Super Hero 'A' Plot to keep the narrative continuity, but brought its hitherto aimless and incongruous 'B' Plot to the fore and has made this a legitimate focus for what comes next (or so it seems). It makes the extra effort Toyotarou spent on re-introducing Broly in #93 narratively intelligible and worthwhile, rather than just being a digression that more fully accounts for the events of Broly for manga readers and just otherwise re-treads the Super Hero movie. Coming back to him at this point makes sense, as his Catch-22 of not wielding his power properly when he snaps, but not being able to bring it forward fully if he doesn't snap, gels well with Gohan just now becoming the strongest and wielding all his power through snapping into a new transformation that embodies his true power, a la SSj2 - maybe Broly will work towards a special transformation of his own that can permit him to do the same? :)

I guess the Red Ribbon elements are well and truly getting phased out, and that's fine; there's probably no great reader appetite to get another full go-round with them, unless we're flipping the plots so the 'Super Hero' stuff we've had so far moves from an Action 'A' plot to a tapering comedy 'B' plot (it would be a bit strange to leave Carmine dangling, though) - but I do hope some place can continue to be found for Goten and Trunks in the arc and that they're not done after the next Chapter; their involvement since #88 has been a tonne of fun and the goofy Superheroing schtick has been a good vehicle for them getting involved and doing fun stuff - this Chapter was no exception, with the finger flick into the atmosphere, followed by the Terminal Velocity Recantation and the actual clean-up scene. It would be a pity if the two get left behind after this.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 pm

They're finally teasing something with Broly. Thank fuck. Dude's been on the backburner for 5 years. Let this man be involved in a story arc and grow as a character. I want to see him learn to control his power and have a presence in whatever this next arc will be.

There's a lot to like here. I have no clue where exactly it's going, but judging by the Black Freeza mention, it's gotta involve him somehow, right? Maybe this arc can involve all these new/stronger characters that have been established since the ToP.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:49 am

I enjoyed the chapter but what happened to Toyotaro’s art. The panelling in this is dire. So stilted an uninspired.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:31 am

At the end I had the feeling that this wasn't an epilogue to an arc, but that a new arc was beginning here. It would be really good if the new arc builds on the old one. I bet Goku invites either Gohan, or Gohan, Goten and Trunks to come to Beerus' planet so he can see for himself how strong his son/s have become. And Beerus will probably think that's pretty rubbish - although he couldn't even remember Gohan. And maybe we'll get a Gohan vs Broly fight? I'm curious, there are definitely many ways to spin this further!
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:52 am

Pretty cool chapter.

Loved the bits of character growth for everyone.

1. Trunks freely admitting he’s doing this so Mai thinks he’s cool without some drawn out panels of him blushing and trying to brush it off.

2. Vegeta training someone he doesn’t have to baby is a nice change of pace. I especially liked the bit about directing your anger rather than trying to suppress it. Really emphasizes the difference between him and Goku’s training methods.

3. Laughed pretty hard at Beerus forgetting that Goku’s a father. Works on the levels that nothing about Goku shows he even understands himself that he’s a parent and that Gohan’s role in Super until the movie was pretty much nonexistent.

Interested to see where this goes, especially with no teases as to what the direction is going to be going forward.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:30 am

Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm Freeza brought Broly to the scene, so it'd be fitting if Broly takes care of him.
Yup could see that happening.

Speaking of - they're obviously hinting that Broly will get some new form/powerup/transformation to utilize his full strenght so whaddya all think it's gonna be? New design, canon repurpoused SSJ4 or Beast like Gohan?
Well technically we already saw it with Kale when she did this same thing but I hope they go in a different direction. Also forgive me if it didn't happen the same way in the manga. Did not go back and read them

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:41 am

Toyotaro truly understand how to write a good story, he know why people are fans of Dragon Ball.
I wish Toei learns a few things from Toyotaro.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am

Brettjr25 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:30 am
Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm Freeza brought Broly to the scene, so it'd be fitting if Broly takes care of him.
Yup could see that happening.

Speaking of - they're obviously hinting that Broly will get some new form/powerup/transformation to utilize his full strenght so whaddya all think it's gonna be? New design, canon repurpoused SSJ4 or Beast like Gohan?
Well technically we already saw it with Kale when she did this same thing but I hope they go in a different direction. Also forgive me if it didn't happen the same way in the manga. Did not go back and read them
Yeah, that never happened in the manga, unfortunately.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:21 pm

I don't think Broly will get a new form, being the LSS, he should be good to go with just SS, like Toriyama envisioned for the movie, even though Toei went with the green-haired form, and also for Goku with the concept of mastering SS in order to use the FP of all of its variants.

A SS4-esque form wouldn't be bad, perhaps there will be a reference to GT, but I doubt there will be more than what we've seen for Bro.