Once the current arc is over, would you like the manga to cover Daima?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Once the current arc is over, would you like the manga to cover Daima?

Post by Yuji » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:36 pm

For the sake of completeness, or is that a moot point by now considering two movies have already been skipped?

For those that say yes, if Daima takes place chronologically in a different time period (before the events of Superhero/the current arc), would you still want it to be adapted, or is the idea of jumping back and forth on the timeline in the same continuity too confusing?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Once the current arc is over, would you like the manga to cover Daima?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 pm

I would actually just like to see them diverge. Let the manga do its thing and let the anime do it's a thing.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Not for the sake of completeness (the manga will never be complete as Broly movie is missing from it), but for the sake of adapting a storyline crafted by Toriyama himself.

Just like the Destroyer saga, Zamasu saga, and Tournament of Power saga, Daima is 1000% Toriyama's Creation. And like the aforementioned arcs, the Toriyama storylines are adapted in both Anime and Manga. Why the Manga shouldn't adapt Daima?

So, it is only logical that Toyotaro will make his own adaptation of Toriyama's creation.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:51 pm

Sure, and if it turns out to be in an earlier period of the main storyline, that's no obstacle at all - for me, Dragon Ball is manga first and foremost, particularly where Toriyama is involved, so I think all mainline content ought to exist in manga format as a matter of principle.

Moreover, I think it'd also be nice if it were a vehicle for some talented but under-utilised artist to cut their teeth on official content, irrespective of what may be going on with the Super manga (particularly if it is set in an earlier period). I don't think it needs to be specifically associated with the Super manga's creative team in any way, really. It can plough its own furrow.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:07 pm

Not particularly, no. As long as the work feels in keeping with Toriyama's style and quality, I'll never have a strong format preference for any part of supplemental/sequel DB. It can stay exclusively animated as far as I'm concerned.

I feel the same about Super Hero. Was the manga's adaptation pretty good? Sure. Was it necessary? Not really.

I prefer the Super manga mainly because I think it's a vastly better written, vastly more DB-esque alternative to the 131 meandering TV episodes.
Last edited by Mr Baggins on Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 pm I would actually just like to see them diverge. Let the manga do its thing and let the anime do it's a thing.
Pretty much this. Based on what we have seen so far, Daima is likely set before Super happening. Not to mention, it's own brand. Mixing it into Super would sound confusing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:20 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:36 pm For the sake of completeness, or is that a moot point by now considering two movies have already been skipped?

For those that say yes, if Daima takes place chronologically in a different time period (before the events of Superhero/the current arc), would you still want it to be adapted, or is the idea of jumping back and forth on the timeline in the same continuity too confusing?
DAIMA is not part of DBS, so it won't be adapted within Toyotaro's release.
If a manga version is made (something that I doubt can be more than a few promotional pages) it will be something totally independent.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:24 pm

I kind of have to wonder if Toyo-tarou will either cover the arcs that he didn't cover before, or perhaps try creating a new arc ala Moro. I guess it depends on what they feel like doing?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:15 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:36 pm For the sake of completeness, or is that a moot point by now considering two movies have already been skipped?

No, not at all, and I don't think it will.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:19 am

God, please no.

We already have too much of covering the same story many times in Super.
I mean we have 3 versions of BoG
2.5 versions of RoF?
And now Super Hero was again made into a saga.
For me it's too much of retellings. Let the movie stay as movies. And let anime spinnofs be spinnofs.

Back in the day we also had anime and manga, I know, but all in all it felt like one property. Now it feels like 3 or more.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:42 pm

Not really, unless it it turns out to be a major section of the Super era story that influences future arcs and whatnot. Otherwise, it really doesn't fit plus it's would be another massive drag on the actual Super manga story which already took upon the Super Hero adaptation that took forever so yeah... I wouldn't keep pushing the fanbase like this lol

Fine if it's done by another artist separately, ain't like only Toyo can draw DB
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 pm Pretty much this. Based on what we have seen so far, Daima is likely set before Super happening. Not to mention, it's own brand. Mixing it into Super would sound confusing.
Well, there's Kibitoshin defusing which didn't happen till sometimes after ROF so kinda can't be pre-Super IF we go by how it played out in the movies, manga and anime.

But that's assuming Toriyama even remembered/bothered to check when he separated them so wouldn't be shocked at all if it's set pre-Super yet Kibitoshin is already defused lol

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:00 pm

They way how they react to each other shows that maybe the magical spell did de-fuse them if it's set in the four year time skip between Buu and Beerus. Not to mention, we don't see Beerus and Whis on Earth with the others who are known to be on Earth for food.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:00 pm They way how they react to each other shows that maybe the magical spell did de-fuse them if it's set in the four year time skip between Buu and Beerus. Not to mention, we don't see Beerus and Whis on Earth with the others who are known to be on Earth for food.
Ohhh yaas that excuse works for me very much! Plus it would give them some additional motivation/background to difuse again post-ROF (assuming they're back to fused after the spell is broken at the end of Daima). I definitely preferred Daima to be set pre-Super/Beerus but the Kibitoshin issue made me wonder

Now let's watch Toei & Tori NOT coming up with your idea and instead just retconing the defusion because Tori forogot :lol:

Also - Super 1 + let's say about 24 eps od Daima + about 100 eps of Super 2 = almost Z lenght of modern DB anime revival. Sucha peaceful 10 year gap :P

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:41 pm

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:42 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 pm Pretty much this. Based on what we have seen so far, Daima is likely set before Super happening. Not to mention, it's own brand. Mixing it into Super would sound confusing.
Well, there's Kibitoshin defusing which didn't happen till sometimes after ROF so kinda can't be pre-Super IF we go by how it played out in the movies, manga and anime.

But that's assuming Toriyama even remembered/bothered to check when he separated them so wouldn't be shocked at all if it's set pre-Super yet Kibitoshin is already defused lol
Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:26 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:00 pm They way how they react to each other shows that maybe the magical spell did de-fuse them if it's set in the four year time skip between Buu and Beerus. Not to mention, we don't see Beerus and Whis on Earth with the others who are known to be on Earth for food.
Ohhh yaas that excuse works for me very much! Plus it would give them some additional motivation/background to difuse again post-ROF (assuming they're back to fused after the spell is broken at the end of Daima). I definitely preferred Daima to be set pre-Super/Beerus but the Kibitoshin issue made me wonder

Now let's watch Toei & Tori NOT coming up with your idea and instead just retconing the defusion because Tori forogot :lol:
Kaioshin and Kibito could be reacting the way they do because the other person in front of them is inexplicably now a small child. Also, why would a de-aging spell de-fuse someone? Some people might be thinking that there was no "Kid Kibitoshin", and so there's no body to de-age to, but I don't think the spell is returning people to their younger bodies, else Goku and Vegeta would have their tails back.

One detail I don't see brought up as often when speculating on timeline placement is the fact that Goku and Vegeta are sparring together when the spell takes effect. They sure weren't sparring partners between the Boo arc and Battle of Gods. When the latter begins, Goku is training with Kaio. Them becoming sparring partners didn't happen until Resurrection F.

Of course, as said, this could also be reading too far into things. Toriyama and Toei could, just as well, not remember this detail about when they were and were not sparring partners, and be placing this prior to Battle of Gods regardless. So I'm generally hesitant to try and read much of anything into the details of the trailer, because they could actually mean fuck-all.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:59 am

Zephyr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:41 pm Kaioshin and Kibito could be reacting the way they do because the other person in front of them is inexplicably now a small child. Also, why would a de-aging spell de-fuse someone? Some people might be thinking that there was no "Kid Kibitoshin", and so there's no body to de-age to, but I don't think the spell is returning people to their younger bodies, else Goku and Vegeta would have their tails back.

One detail I don't see brought up as often when speculating on timeline placement is the fact that Goku and Vegeta are sparring together when the spell takes effect. They sure weren't sparring partners between the Boo arc and Battle of Gods. When the latter begins, Goku is training with Kaio. Them becoming sparring partners didn't happen until Resurrection F.

Of course, as said, this could also be reading too far into things. Toriyama and Toei could, just as well, not remember this detail about when they were and were not sparring partners, and be placing this prior to Battle of Gods regardless. So I'm generally hesitant to try and read much of anything into the details of the trailer, because they could actually mean fuck-all.
Definitely not taking anything for granted and the way you describe it may very well turn out to be the case too. Was just agreeing that Hellspawn's idea for an explanation could work, doesn't mean they will do it this way. Or any way at all. Like you said - all our speculation could mean jack squat and they may just as likely roll out whatever timeline they feel like/remember, disregarding any conflicting details whatsoever

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:59 am

Basaku wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:59 amWas just agreeing that Hellspawn's idea for an explanation could work
Fair enough. Definitely could turn out to be the case.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:46 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:41 pm
Kaioshin and Kibito could be reacting the way they do because the other person in front of them is inexplicably now a small child. Also, why would a de-aging spell de-fuse someone? Some people might be thinking that there was no "Kid Kibitoshin", and so there's no body to de-age to, but I don't think the spell is returning people to their younger bodies, else Goku and Vegeta would have their tails back.
I concur it definitely seems more of a chibification spell than a de-aging/time reversal spell. Given what we saw of Goku and the others I think Kibitoshin would just look smaller and younger than split back in two.

But Shueisha and Toei seem dead set on pretending nothing before Raditz coming to earth matters, and Toriyama seems committed to never drawing the monkey tails again. It wouldn't be too surprising if it was intended to be a proper de-aging spell and we're supposed to ignore characters don't look like their og Dragon Ball selves and Goku and Vegeta should have tails

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:46 pmBut Shueisha and Toei seem dead set on pretending nothing before Raditz coming to earth matters, and Toriyama seems committed to never drawing the monkey tails again. It wouldn't be too surprising if it was intended to be a proper de-aging spell and we're supposed to ignore characters don't look like their og Dragon Ball selves and Goku and Vegeta should have tails
I mean, while there is a general tendency to neglect pre-Raditz material, having Kid Goku wielding the nyoibo feels like it's very unambiguously mining pre-Raditz nostalgia. So I don't think the lack of tails is the result of that section of the story being slighted. It's also not as if Toriyama would have to draw the monkey tails himself for Toei to be able to include them on their character design sheets and for the animators to draw them. Would be very on brand for him to write a note saying "also, they have tails, but I couldn't be bothered to draw them (laughs)".

But yeah, it's still possible that what you suggest is the case, and it could be an actual de-aging spell, yet they just don't have tails for some reason (either the reasons you listed, or some other one).

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:22 pm

Lack of a tail may just be Toriyama's stylistic preference nowadays, just like his stick-figures physique infatuation is. I don't agree with either but not surprised to see it happening again really at this point, it is what it is :| :problem:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:36 pm

For whatever it might be worth, he gave Shallot a tail in his character design:

Being an ancient Saiyan, it makes sense that he'd have a tail. So I guess there's precedent for modern Toriyama sucking it up and drawing a tail on a character design if it would make sense for them to have the tail, stylistic preferences be damned.