Once the current arc is over, would you like the manga to cover Daima?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Once the current arc is over, would you like the manga to cover Daima?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:58 pm

Shallot's armor looks like a bigger pain in the neck to draw than just his tail, so I kind of imagine he was a case of "Well, I only have to draw it once." With Daima I could easily see Series Director Yashima Yoshitaka simply asking not to have them so that nobody has to animate them.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:53 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:36 pm For whatever it might be worth, he gave Shallot a tail in his character design:

Being an ancient Saiyan, it makes sense that he'd have a tail. So I guess there's precedent for modern Toriyama sucking it up and drawing a tail on a character design if it would make sense for them to have the tail, stylistic preferences be damned.
True, tough since it's suppoused to be a historial character, he didn't really have much choice but to go with the tail. How ridiculous it would be to come up with another excuse why some character lacked it even in the past of U7

With Shallot, I'm actually more surprised with the muscular look and... The ass-window for the tail lol. I mean, is this like the first time Toriyama designed something... sexy for a male character? He's evolving! :D :wink:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:53 pmTrue, tough since it's suppoused to be a historial character, he didn't really have much choice but to go with the tail. How ridiculous it would be to come up with another excuse why some character lacked it even in the past of U7
I guess tying this all back to the "chibification vs. de-aging/time reversal" spell convo from last page, one could also say he wouldn't have a choice but to give the Saiyans back their tails if the spell was of the latter variety. And yet, they lack them. Granted, as said, that could be the result of an inconsistency, or something else, still gotta wait and see.

It's fun to imagine the sort of excuse he might come up with for not giving Shallot one, if he indeed had a hardline anti-tail agenda.
"Shallot lost his tail in battle. This depicts him before it grew back. (laughs)"

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm It's fun to imagine the sort of excuse he might come up with for not giving Shallot one, if he indeed had a hardline anti-tail agenda.
"Shallot lost his tail in battle. This depicts him before it grew back. (laughs)"
We need to turn this into a spinoff doujinshi "101 ways to not draw lose the tail, Saiyan Edition"

I'll also add that the lack of a tail removes a lot of charm from Goku to me in that Daima trailer. If they're alfeady going for the nostalgia/kawaii/younger audience angle, why remove the aspect that was so endearing about kid Goku/Gohan chara design...

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:17 am

Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:36 pm For whatever it might be worth, he gave Shallot a tail in his character design:

Being an ancient Saiyan, it makes sense that he'd have a tail. So I guess there's precedent for modern Toriyama sucking it up and drawing a tail on a character design if it would make sense for them to have the tail, stylistic preferences be damned.
Keep in mind he also knew he didn't have to keep drawing shallot on an ongoing basis so he could be more wild with no consequence to himself.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:52 am

TobyS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:17 am Keep in mind he also knew he didn't have to keep drawing shallot on an ongoing basis so he could be more wild with no consequence to himself.
Yeah, but that'd be the case with Daima, too, wouldn't it? Bang out a few character sheets, and let the animators do the rest.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:34 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:52 am
TobyS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:17 am Keep in mind he also knew he didn't have to keep drawing shallot on an ongoing basis so he could be more wild with no consequence to himself.
Yeah, but that'd be the case with Daima, too, wouldn't it? Bang out a few character sheets, and let the animators do the rest.
Yeah exactly I was just saying it's not weird that Shallot is detailed he knew he'd probably never draw him again.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:50 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:34 pm Yeah exactly I was just saying it's not weird that Shallot is detailed he knew he'd probably never draw him again.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's basically my point as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:00 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:52 am
It's possible that that was a request from Yashima or Nakatsuru so as to avoid having to animate tails on a consistent basis.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:00 pm It's possible that that was a request from Yashima or Nakatsuru so as to avoid having to animate tails on a consistent basis.
Yeah, that's also a possibility.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:24 am

Considering Toriyama got rid of the tail to begin with because he couldn't figure out how it logistically worked with clothing, between this and Beerus' own "ass window", I think he just said "fuck it, I'll just make some kind of hole back there for it." With Beerus, it's an outright hole in the back of his pants, with Shallot, he had the pants sag slightly in the back to accommodate the tail. It's very noticeable on both characters though so it does feel like a design compromise on his part.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:24 amConsidering Toriyama got rid of the tail to begin with because he couldn't figure out how it logistically worked with clothing, between this and Beerus' own "ass window", I think he just said "fuck it, I'll just make some kind of hole back there for it." With Beerus, it's an outright hole in the back of his pants, with Shallot, he had the pants sag slightly in the back to accommodate the tail. It's very noticeable on both characters though so it does feel like a design compromise on his part.
Yeah, I think the sagging pants look dumb as hell, so I guess I can understand Toriyama's dilemma from back then. :lol: