Male or female characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Male or female characters?

Post by Kappa » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm

I like both.
Last edited by Kappa on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Male or female characters?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:31 pm

I like well written characters.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:42 pm

I like female characters. They're relatable and I get to gush over their cute outfits. I'm attracted to men, though, so I like it when a male character has an attractive personality (and design). I'm also a fujoshi (Boy's Love fan) and himejoshi (Girl's Love fan), so I like it when a story or series taps into those elements. The Tournament of Power featuring a Girl's Love-esque story with Kale and Caulifla was so cool, too. Like, I could understand Kale's pent-up feelings for Caulifla that she felt too incapable of properly expressing, but I also really enjoyed seeing a character like Ribrianne get to have a bigger-than-life personality.

I also really liked the cute Cheelai with a lot of moxy sticking up for Broli and making friends with him. Those scenes tapped into those sort of "wanting to protect your boyfriend" feelings that I've experienced before, and I also just really liked her dynamic with Broli and wish that she had more scenes to be further fleshed out.

With Super Hero, I loved Piccolo's dynamic with Gamma #2. There's some cute shipping tension between the two! As a female viewer who likes BL, I really enjoyed those scenes and wished there was more of them.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:04 pm

Depends on the anime and manga to be honest, normally I like both male and female character.

However if I must choose one, then I will have to go with male characters.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:31 pm I like well written characters.
I like this answer.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm

I like relatable characters, and in Dragon Ball's case, most of the good ones are female.
Doesn't help that most male characters act like, "I want to be stronger to the detriment of everyone around me! :D"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:27 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm I like relatable characters, and in Dragon Ball's case, most of the good ones are female.
Doesn't help that most male characters act like, "I want to be stronger to the detriment of everyone around me! :D"
Damn, this is just like so many of the most powerful men IRL, too lol
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm I like relatable characters, and in Dragon Ball's case, most of the good ones are female.
There are many bad female characters such as these below:

DBS Chi Chi
DBS Ribrianne
Kaguya (Naruto)
Sakura (Naruto)

I am aware there are bad male characters, such as these below:

DBS Goku
Bakugo (My Hero Academia) although he develops later on
Boruto (Boruto) although he develops later on

In Naruto he wanted power to protect his friends and rescue Sasuke. He didn't want Sasuke to get killed or turn evil.
Naruto wanted for there to be no war and no conflict, even tried to negotiate with Raikage with words and not brute force.
This is were "Talk No Jutsu" comes from.

Ichigo from Bleach didn't mind losing his powers, however when he saw he couldn't protect anyone, that is when he wanted to gain powers.

Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa wants to be the best footballer in the world and go to Brazil. Don't know if he accomplish that goal or not, I haven't read the manga.

Gorō Shigeno in Major goal is to become the best Baseball player in the world.

Edward Eric from Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood goal isn't to become the strongest, but for his brother to regain his body back and his own body. I can't say much since it is major spoilers.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:10 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 am There are many bad female characters such as these below:

DBS Chi Chi
DBS Ribrianne
Yes, I do hate how Chi-chi seemingly went from overbearing about studies to being chill about martial arts in the Boo Saga to going straight back to complaining about them all the time in Super. Ribrianne is kinda... eh? "Look at me, I'm a Magical Girl parody!" (repeat that to the point of annoyance)

Just because I usually prefer the female characters in Dragon Ball, doesn't mean I like all of them. Off the top of my list, Bulma, Lunch, #18, Videl and Pan are all good in my book.
I am aware there are bad male characters, such as these below:

DBS Goku
In Naruto he wanted power to protect his friends and rescue Sasuke. He didn't want Sasuke to get killed or turn evil.
Naruto wanted for there to be no war and no conflict, even tried to negotiate with Raikage with words and not brute force.
This is were "Talk No Jutsu" comes from.

Ichigo from Bleach didn't mind losing his powers, however when he saw he couldn't protect anyone, that is when he wanted to gain powers.

Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa wants to be the best footballer in the world and go to Brazil. Don't know if he accomplish that goal or not, I haven't read the manga.

Gorō Shigeno in Major goal is to become the best Baseball player in the world.

Edward Eric from Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood goal isn't to become the strongest, but for his brother to regain his body back and his own body. I can't say much since it is major spoilers.
I'm not saying I don't like male characters, I just don't like the male characters of Dragon Ball.
Goku was interesting as a clueless child with no concept of gender or social norms, before he became a fighting-obsessed idiot to the point he doesn't care about multiversal genocide. A lot of other characters suffer the same transformation. I was all Team!Trunks before he casually reveals after Cell becomes perfect that he could have stopped both Cell and Vegeta if he wanted to, but he chose not to, because he was afraid of hurting his daddy's pride.
"Okay, Trunks. Let me get this straight. You just done explaining the other episode that the damages to a timeline are irreversible, that you can't just go back and fix things. And even after all of the suffering you've endured, even after your mother went through all the trouble of creating that damn machine so one timeline could be peaceful, you chose to doom us all anyway, because you didn't want to hurt your daddy's feelings?!"
All of that being said, I am a big fan of Piccolo, Gohan, Yamcha and Whis.
And if it counts, GT pretty much redeems Goku, Trunks and Vegeta for me.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:37 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:31 pm I like well written characters.
Best answer

Although i mostly like female characters more in shows, games etc.
In case of games this is sometimes also because of gameplay reasons. In action games girls usually are weaker but faster. In RPG games they're more likely to be classes like rogue, mage, archer etc. which i like more than barbarians and warriors and so on.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:57 pm

Gender does not matter for me when it comes to liking someone's personality or not. As the guy above epically said best is when the characters are well written.

In dragon ball specifically my faves are Bulma and Vegeta so it is a 50-50 really I got no preferece.

I often wonder how did it happen that Toriyama became good at creating characters because, lets face it, one of the reasons people gets invested into the dragon ball story is because they have a favorite character. We have DBS super heroe movie as an example because they needed to make Gohan cool again because the fans were upset about his downfall since the Cell Games.