Do you like fusions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Do you like fusions?

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:22 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:50 pmThat's what happened yes, but Gogeta was just being a moron for even bothering, since it's established multiple times that if you kill the shadow dragon, the negative energy goes away with him, so Gogeta waiting for One Star to use that negative energy ball to them kick it away with positive energy to dissipate the negative energy surrounding the planet is less effective than just killing him.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:34 pmGT Gogeta played around way too much, and it was odd that after beating the other dragons and seeing how their demise also meant the dissipation of negative energy, he never thought that killing Omega once and for all would've also cleared up the planet.
Okay, this is fair I'd forgotten about that. Been a few years since I watched GT.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:04 pm

I like the concept of merging two characters into one and the many implications this could have narratively, but in practice, Fusion is just a tool to make stronger characters without having to come up with anything else, which also means that fusions is only useful as long as the writer can't come up with any other new type of power up at the moment. Most fused characters barely feel like a combination of their fusees and also aren't that interesting as characters by themselves. Gotenks was fun the first time and Zamasu actually worked pretty well, other than that, I prefer characters to not fuse
she/they.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43 pm

Great for comic relief! Sorta predictable or boring for "serious high stakes" drama, I guess.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:52 am

Yes. As long as they fuse right, of course.

Don't get me wrong I know they're for comical relief but the failed fusions joke is getting old for me.

I was expecting for DBS Broly to be the last time where they wasted time in trying to get the fusion dance right... but well, we've got failed Gotenks in Super HERO.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 am

I love fusion in concept because it's such a creative idea, and I like what the fusions themselves bring to the table as comic relief characters (that occasionally move the plot forward). Ditto what NeoZ Duwang said about Zamasu. They played around with the idea in an interesting way by having the fusion be two of the same character with different levels of mortality.

And I love Vegetto's design, if only because his outfit is actually a fusion of his component characters' outfits, unlike the fusion dance's magic vest and pants.

Though I wish Vegetto and Gogeta stuck around long enough for us to get to know them as characters since they're just the same character with different names at this point, which does make sense logistically since they're both fusions of the same two characters, but it would be nice for them to have more distinct characterization (GT kinda helped here by making SSJ4 Gogeta an Adult Gotenks of sorts, though that's just making him less like Vegetto and more like Gotenks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 am it would be nice for them to have more distinct characterization (GT kinda helped here by making SSJ4 Gogeta an Adult Gotenks of sorts, though that's just making him less like Vegetto and more like Gotenks.
In Z, there was some difference, Vegito was more cocky and prideful while Gogeta was more stoic and assertive. You don't fuck around with Z Gogeta, he even stared down at the teenage oni with the earphones like this ain't over.
Yes, that was Toei giving characteristics to Gogeta that I'm not sure his fusees have(aside from Movie Goku), but at least it made Vegito not Gogeta. Then Toei itself turned Gogeta into Adult Gotenks like you said, and DBS fused Gito and Geta together.

Too bad DBS didn't follow through with the outfit fusion for Vegito.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:41 pm

Trouser wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:14 pm I like them but I'm bored of Gotenks (or rather the ways he's been used in the series that made me dislike him now).
Oh god, I don't know why but Gotenks might be the most boring Dragon Ball character. It's always a chore getting through a rewatch when I get to the Buu arc because of him.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm

I do.

They have however overstayed their welcome. The main problem being character suppression. Trunks and Goten are the main victims, always being connected to Gotenks.
Gogeta and Vegetto were overused in Super with the latter even forcing a plot rewrite "btw the earrings are temporary as well", removing the original tension the Boo arc plot created.

Like transformations, it was interesting and useful when introduced. With ever diminishing returns to the point it's just a shiny thing to use with very little care for the plot.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm I do.

They have however overstayed their welcome. The main problem being character suppression. Trunks and Goten are the main victims, always being connected to Gotenks.
Gogeta and Vegetto were overused in Super with the latter even forcing a plot rewrite "btw the earrings are temporary as well", removing the original tension the Boo arc plot created.

Like transformations, it was interesting and useful when introduced. With ever diminishing returns to the point it's just a shiny thing to use with very little care for the plot.
Overused meaning....they appeared each once in Super? Or did the post-anime manga use Gogeta and Vegetto a lot more?

Gotenks appeared like what twice in Super? Once for 5 seconds against Beerus and again against Copy Vegeta. Goten and Trunks definitely got way more solo stuff, however superfluous fluff it was, than fusing with Gotenks. Even Gotenks grand return in Super Dee Duper Hero was Toriyama trolling fans.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 pm
LightBing wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm I do.

Overused meaning....they appeared each once in Super? Or did the post-anime manga use Gogeta and Vegetto a lot more?

Gotenks appeared like what twice in Super? Once for 5 seconds against Beerus and again against Copy Vegeta. Goten and Trunks definitely got way more solo stuff, however superfluous fluff it was, than fusing with Gotenks. Even Gotenks grand return in Super Dee Duper Hero was Toriyama trolling fans.
The Zamasu arc heavily relies on fusions, both Heroes and villains. Broly movie closes with Gogeta. Kefla plays an essential rule in the ToP arc.
Gotenks, wasn't really thinking about it because it's mostly a repeating trend. It falls more on the suppression of Trunks and Goten. Although the recent manga arc gladly went the other way.

That's a lot to me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Who doesn't love fujoshi?

EDIT: Oh shit, I misread the title. Yeah, I love Kefla and and Zamasu, but that's about it. Fusion is tedious otherwise. Kefla and Zamasu felt like substantial character arcs culimnating.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:04 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:58 pm Who doesn't love fujoshi?

EDIT: Oh shit, I misread the title.
I know nothing about fujoshi so I thought you were doing a clever innuendo until you edited the post :lol: .

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:46 am

I've always liked them.

Gotenks is a fun character with some cool techniques and funny moments.

Vegito and Gogeta are both in the running for most badass character in the franchise.

Vegito gives Buuhan what may be the most humiliating beatdown of the series, which felt so satisfying after watching Buu be dominant for so long. His brief appearance in Super was also a highlight.

Gogeta has 3 different iterations, and I mostly like them all. His Movie 12 appearance is legendary, where he instantly glides towards Janemba and kicks his ass, before using the iconic Soul Punisher.

SS4 Gogeta in GT was cool too, although he was much less serious and managed to screw things up by messing around.

Gogeta Blue in DBS Broly was awesome, and basically made the movie for me.

Fusions are awesome if saved for special occasions. I wouldn't want them all the time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:54 am

EDIT: Oh shit, I misread the title. Yeah, I love Kefla and and Zamasu, but that's about it. Fusion is tedious otherwise. Kefla and Zamasu felt like substantial character arcs culimnating.
I love fujoshi!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 am

Majin Buu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:04 am

EDIT: Oh shit, I misread the title.
I know nothing about fujoshi so I thought you were doing a clever innuendo until you edited the post :lol: .
Fujoshi are women who ship male characters and enjoy reading, watching and creating Boy's Love/Yaoi. The male equivalent is fudanshi and the non-binary equivalent is fujin.

That being said, I was actually just making a joke about how similar the two terms sound, and also on how Zamasu and Gokuu Black are a popular yaoi ship.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am In Z, there was some difference, Vegito was more cocky and prideful while Gogeta was more stoic and assertive. You don't fuck around with Z Gogeta, he even stared down at the teenage oni with the earphones like this ain't over.
I used to think the same thing: Vegetto is the cocky one that doesn't take things seriously (or at least pretends not to) and Gogeta is the no-nonsense one that cuts right to the chase, but Z Gogeta only existed for 5 minutes of screentime and that's not enough time to determine what he's like as a character; so claiming that Z Gogeta is the fusion that doesn't screw around is an assumption based on only circumstantial evidence.

Yeah, it could be that Z Gogeta just doesn't fuck around in general, but It's just as plausible that he cut right to the chase there simply because his component characters were thoroughly over dealing with Janemba at that point as Janemba had been a pain in their asses for the entire film. That one scene provides so little to go off of in terms of his characterization that either scenario is plausible. It could be that he's more likely to fuck around when his component characters haven't been persistently antagonized by their opponent for the entire story.

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 am Fujoshi are women who ship male characters and enjoy reading, watching and creating Boy's Love/Yaoi. The male equivalent is fudanshi and the non-binary equivalent is fujin.
Ah, good to know.
That being said, I was actually just making a joke about how similar the two terms sound, and also on how Zamasu and Gokuu Black are a popular yaoi ship.
So I was kinda on the right track despite my ignorance :lol: .

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:43 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm Gogeta and Vegetto were overused in Super with the latter even forcing a plot rewrite "btw the earrings are temporary as well", removing the original tension the Boo arc plot created.
Zamasu is the one who caused the retcon, Toriyama's notes mentioned the potara time limit with him even though Toriyama didn't write Vegetto in the arc.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... alk-vol-2/

"Zamasu actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft. "

The manga decided to use the time limit, while the anime ignored it.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:34 am

I watched Totally Not Mark's two-part review of the Buu arc over the weekend (wound up enjoying it more than I expected to) and his thoughts on Vegetto got me to turn around a bit on my previous criticisms on his and Gogeta's lack of characterization.

What I realized is that Vegetto and Gogeta are like Janemba. Janemba is similarly lacking in characterization but he makes up for it by having amazing abilities and has the excuse of being literally made of evil.

Vegetto and Gogeta have something similar going on: They kinda don't need much characterization to work as characters because of what they are and what that represents- A joining of two rivals whose rivalry has defined how they engage with each other (which is even more meaningful in the context of the Buu arc as said rivalry played a critical role in Buu's revival).

I still wish they stuck around long enough for us to get to know them as characters since there's untapped comedic potential there (the idea of Vegetto/Gogeta trying to fit into a world of peace is ripe for comedy considering all the chaos that would cause), but they work as characters regardless.