Another Shady Artist

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Another Shady Artist

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:15 am

It seems that another Shady Artist "bought the rights" of Dragon Ball soundtracks again, as always, it's again the same 2006 BGM Collection featuring Shunsuke Kikuchi's music from Dragon Ball Z TV Series & Movies (it never changes???)
I believe this is the worst case so far, check out the artist's "name"
"[Merlin] Revelator" may sound a actual artistic name at first, but if you google it you'll find this website with this description:

"Merlin is a digital rights music licensing partner for independent record labels, distributors, and other music rights holders around the world."

I believe I don't even need to go any further on it, it's self explanatory.
The person (or persons) behind the copyright claim didn't even bother to hide it, it simply used the site's name as an unaltered generic placeholder to appear as the content owner.

Awesome :v
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Another Shady Artist

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:06 am

Someone (really not sure if it's the same person from the post above) is uploadind songs from the Hit Song Collections to Youtube this week, all of these uploads only say "Nippon", all of them mention Shunsuke Kikuchi not only as the composer but also as the lyricist? Wtf? This is new for me, of course, it's all wrong
And obviously, as always, none of these uploads have the correct release dates for these soundtracks, but the dates the songs were uploaded to Youtube instead.

https://youtu.be/D9mu05NwjSw?si=zbUWKZ_AkC5JvGB9
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Yellow Dragon

Post by Yellow Dragon » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:48 pm

It's automatically generated by YouTube.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Of course it's used a bot, what I like to point out is the differences between these new uploads when compared to previous ones, as far as I remember none of the previous uploads credited Kikuchi as lyricist, most of previous ones also gave wrong labels for the collections, while these ones are mostly correct (at least as far as I saw, plus, they use the correct cover art for all of them)
And I don't need to mention how the copyright claims are all incosistent.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:46 pm

Yellow Dragon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:48 pm It's automatically generated by YouTube.
Looks like you've got some homework to do on how these services operate in general.
YouTube itself can't do this on their own unless a label of some sort is directly providing the material (as well as accompanying metadata). And in this case, the one behind these uploads isn't even Nippon Columbia themselves, and they're cycling between uploading, taking down, and uploading again.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:40 pm

Youtube is just a tool, that's why in the descriptions (not only for these but for everything music related) you'll always find the "provided to Youtube by...", it is always mandatory to offer at least the name of the recording label, in these cases they just mention "Nippon", as Ghost said, there is no way that the real Nippon Columbia is responsible given the messy nature these uploads always seem to have, also, not only on Youtube, but also on other platforms (Spotify for example)

I think the artist name of the content owner in my main post was the biggest red alert so far, I also checked recently a copyright claim in Solid State Scouter and there is this Frankenstein:
(If you google Interstreet Recordings and Audio Salad you'll find the same thing as [Merlin] Revelator)
Honestly I actually thought there could be a chance that the person or people behind these copyright claims and uploads could actually be from Japan, since in the description of a few uploads the date is not the day the uploads were made, but the day after, and the possibility that they are using a bot just made me think more about it.
But now, lol, George??