Does the Viatnamese dub of Kai use the Nicktoons cut?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Does the Viatnamese dub of Kai use the Nicktoons cut?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:29 pm

As of lately some fans I've spoken to in Discord have toyed with the idea of recreating the Nicktoons version of Kai (as edited by Ocean Productions) using colour corrected Dragon Box footage.

That got me thinking, as I'm aware many international dubs are based off existing dubs as a budgetary measure. The Latin Spanish and Brazillian Portuguese dubs of Kai use the same edit seen on Nicktoons, so if anyone were to put together a new master using a different video source like the Dragon Boxes, recreating the cuts faithfully it would theoretically possible for these two dubs to be synced as additional audio tracks. This is of course another reason Ocean Kai has to get out, because, it was Ocean who created the edits so their dub (assuming it has no additional edits like the Westwood dub) should be prime candidate, and of course there's Funimation's dub, as aired on Nicktoons, giving us four tracks at least. Realizing this, I asked around to see if anyone knew of other dubs that used the same video track - the one other possibility suggested was the Viatnamese dub of Kai.

I was shown these comparison images:

Uncut

Nicktoons

Viatnamese

This is of course just one shot, and not having the time to spot check through the whole dub I was wondering if anyone who watched Kai in Viatnamese can confirm if its the same master aired on Nicktoons.

Keep in mind while some dubs or airings of Kai may share similarities to Nicktoons they're not necessarily identical as cuts can vary. For example when Funimation's dub of Kai aired on Kix the farmers death was retained and extra scenes cut from Nicktoons were reinstated, such as:
  • Goku's friends collecting Yamcha, Tien and Piccolo's corpses
  • Piccolo telling Gohan Goku has died
  • Kami saying he will die within a year
Can any fans, perhaps Vietnam-based or understand the language themselves confirm?

Alternatively is anyone aware of any other foreign dubs that imported the edit seen on Nicktoons and Latin America?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Does the Viatnamese dub of Kai use the Nicktoons cut?

Post by Tian » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:29 pm That got me thinking, as I'm aware many international dubs are based off existing dubs as a budgetary measure. The Latin Spanish and Brazillian Portuguese dubs of Kai use the same edit seen on Nicktoons, so if anyone were to put together a new master using a different video source like the Dragon Boxes, recreating the cuts faithfully it would theoretically possible for these two dubs to be synced as additional audio tracks.
I'm not someone who usually syncs audio with videos but I've heard (or read?) that the BR Portuguese dub of Kai didn't really have the best audio mixing.

There were several problems with the mixing:
- Reacts like grunts were sometimes left in English audio.
- Some dialogues were accidentally muted.
- And the worst of all, there were times where the dubbed audio was heard before or after its intended time.

No wonder why our Brazilian siblings despise their Kai dub (more justifiable than us) and BKS (the dubbing studio that recorded the dub.)