Dragon Ball Without Its Creator

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Without Its Creator

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:18 pm So basically the problem with the Super anime is that it was just so popular and successful that it overshadowed every other product?

I can't say I'm surprised.
I'm not sure if that's a reason. I don't know how licensing works exactly but OP and JJK are also owned by Shuiesha and had movies grossing almost as much as the two Super movies combined but their animes are still going. The rumor was that Shuiesha wanted Toei to wait for the manga. It could also be that Toei never attempted to continue the anime since there weren't any new Toriyama outlines to adapt.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm

I wonder if this hypothetical next Dragon Ball series would adapt the two movies that released since the end of Super... Much like how Dragon Ball Super adapted Battle of Gods and Revival of F before going on to new material. That would mean that there are two arcs to animate before or after the end of the Super Manga.

And I can easily imagine Toyotaro having discussed the next part of the story with Toriyama, having something planned out much farther in advance than we know.

Or it could not be! That's just as likely with Dragon Ball. It's kinda the style of the narrative to always be moving without a ton of planning or preparation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:07 pm

I do hope that they do episode adaptions of the movies for the next series. I think that would be a fun way to flesh those out and tell them differently.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:07 pm I do hope that they do episode adaptions of the movies for the next series. I think that would be a fun way to flesh those out and tell them differently.
Not to mention getting a proper 2D animated adaptation of Super Hero...

Watch the whole series be in 3D now...

Hypothetically....

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:19 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:10 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:07 pm I do hope that they do episode adaptions of the movies for the next series. I think that would be a fun way to flesh those out and tell them differently.
Not to mention getting a proper 2D animated adaptation of Super Hero...

Watch the whole series be in 3D now...

Hypothetically....
I doubt they will do a full series in 3DCG because of the expense and the difficulty of it, lest they go the route of Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac, but I feel like that's not as likely because it would inherently mean doing smaller seasons and Toei tends to prefer to do long-running series for their timeslots. I'd hate to see them try and turn the Broli, Moro, Granola and Super Hero arcs into four 26 episode story arcs, unless they buffered them with original storylines, though.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 pm

I feel like Super Hero could easily be stretched out. It was already pretty long as-is and much more detailed plot-wise than Broly.

But yeah, the rest of the arcs as they are do not feel like they would benefit by being stretched out. Unless there was a lot of additional plot elements.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:55 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm I wonder if this hypothetical next Dragon Ball series would adapt the two movies that released since the end of Super... Much like how Dragon Ball Super adapted Battle of Gods and Revival of F before going on to new material. That would mean that there are two arcs to animate before or after the end of the Super Manga.

And I can easily imagine Toyotaro having discussed the next part of the story with Toriyama, having something planned out much farther in advance than we know.

Or it could not be! That's just as likely with Dragon Ball. It's kinda the style of the narrative to always be moving without a ton of planning or preparation.
For starters I hope they animate the Dragon Ball Super manga that hasn't been animated. Then, I hope Toyataro, if he will continue, gets to work with someone really talented that knows Dragon Ball very well to continue the story past end of Z.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:09 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 pm I feel like Super Hero could easily be stretched out. It was already pretty long as-is and much more detailed plot-wise than Broly.

But yeah, the rest of the arcs as they are do not feel like they would benefit by being stretched out. Unless there was a lot of additional plot elements.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FinalPilaf

Post by FinalPilaf » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm

Yeah, I also hope they animate the rest of the DBS manga. Those parts at least had some amount of input from Toriyama. And while I'm sure we will get plenty of new animated DB content for years and decades to come, it would feel weird to have manga content that the man himself was involved with never get the animated treatment.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 pm

I want Toei to animate at least the Moro saga, because Moro is one of the more memorable characters from Super. With how much Super recycles nostalgic DBZ villains like Frieza for the nostalgia bait, original villains like Zamasu and Moro stand out all the more.

Also, it will be welcomed to finally have Moro in Xenoverse 2/Fighterz.

But I am also not interested in just a copy-paste of the manga. I want Toei to put its own unique spin on it.

The scenery was mentioned in this thread: I agree. Super's "Season 1" had very original and unique settings, whether it be a fossilized, planet-sized Dragon Ball, the gloomy and apocalyptic future of a destroyed Earth, or a sprawling, battle royal arena in the emptiness of the Void.

The plot of the Moro arc is fine, and can easily be fit in a 20-epidodes-long arc based on the format of the Zamasu arc.

The scenery, however, is boring and unimpressive. Namek? How original. Random wasteland on Earth? Boring!

Since Moro is supposed to be a Warlock/Sorcerer/Mage, I want Toei to go all out with the magic. Have Moro twist and shape the landscape into a magical and colourful setting, with almost surreal shapes and landscape (like we have seen in Super "Season 1", pictured above).

I'm not interested in the same boring wasteland that I already saw in the Saiyan saga, Cell saga, and Majin Buu saga.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:58 pm

That's one thing that Movie 12 had in spades. The scenery and environment was one of a kind and the battle effects were outstanding. I'd love to see more psychedelic environments.

On that note, the Broly movie was such a trip, specifically the second part of the battle. I literally felt like I was coming off of an acid trip when I got out of the theater. It was a visual spectacle. By far the best Dragon Ball animation I had ever seen. I don't even mind the 3D animation in parts because it blended extremely well.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:07 pm

I'm not sure Toei will now diverge from Toriyama's stories. Probably, out of respect they'll keep it as it is, with minor tweaks or filler scenes, like Moro's rampage, the one eons ago and prior to his arrival on Earth, were his magical powers could stretch its legs. Also the perfect chance to explore other worlds.
The same DBZ treatment should entail, it's easier, cheaper and the best way to pay respects to the author: tell the story as he chose to in the first place.

There's plenty of time and opportunities for Toei to go nuts with their own material. In fact, after Black Freeza, that's all they can do.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:19 pm I have seen people say that Toriyama's family member should carry on DB, but I doubt that will happen.
Hasn't Sasuke Toriyama been overseeing Dragon Ball Daima for his father long before he passed?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 pm

I doubt he will be writing and drawing any new DB stuff. From what I've seen, he is not a writer or artist.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:32 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:19 pm I have seen people say that Toriyama's family member should carry on DB, but I doubt that will happen.
Hasn't Sasuke Toriyama been overseeing Dragon Ball Daima for his father long before he passed?
Could you please elaborate on Sasuke?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 am

Skar wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:17 pmI imagine future volumes won't sell as much since it'll be all Toyotaro and no longer any supervision from Toriyama.
I might be wrong, but I read that manga artists are usually required to always have three chapters ready in advance, as a buffer in case problems arise, not sure if that only applies to weekly series, or if that's entirely false, though there might be two more Toriyama-approved chapters in store at this time.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:46 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread but was the last time Goku showed up in a Toriyama-drawn manga Jaco?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:46 pm Didn't want to start a new thread but was the last time Goku showed up in a Toriyama-drawn manga Jaco?
Yes. Jako was the last comic that Toriyama drew himself, too.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:34 pm It's going to feel odd without him around. However, the series will move on without him. Bandai and Shueisha still have plenty of stuff to milk the series with. Series like Kamen Rider as an example, was able to do new stuff without the original creator alive.
Sorry for the late reply, but the example you used fills me with dread. Post-Ishinomori Kamen Rider (Kuuga) started really well, keeping his essence, but evolved to something that doesn't even remotely reminds me of Ishinomori Rider series. I don't want Dragon Ball to go on and on if this is what it would turn out.

I hope Toei/Shueisha would end the canon for good. If there is any new content to be produced (which most likely will), I hope they do something with a totally new cast of characters. Something like Universal Century Gundam does, I guess...
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Acetona wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:09 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:34 pm It's going to feel odd without him around. However, the series will move on without him. Bandai and Shueisha still have plenty of stuff to milk the series with. Series like Kamen Rider as an example, was able to do new stuff without the original creator alive.
Sorry for the late reply, but the example you used fills me with dread. Post-Ishinomori Kamen Rider (Kuuga) started really well, keeping his essence, but evolved to something that doesn't even remotely reminds me of Ishinomori Rider series. I don't want Dragon Ball to go on and on if this is what it would turn out.

I hope Toei/Shueisha would end the canon for good. If there is any new content to be produced (which most likely will), I hope they do something with a totally new cast of characters. Something like Universal Century Gundam does, I guess...
Speaking as a big fan of Inoue Toshiki's Kamen Rider 555 (and the little bits I've seen of his non-555 and non-DonBrothers stuff), I think this ties back into needing these big franchises needing strong creative minds being allowed to break rules. I've found that a lot of the modern Super Sentai and Rider that I've seen tends to fall apart because as projects they're written too corporately. Kamen Rider Black Sun and Shin Kamen Rider are two projects that I've seen lately where it doesn't feel like any normal producer would allow someone to make them (more so Kamen Rider Black Sun, which is insanely left-wing in ways that nobody could have foreseen coming).

I agree with the idea of doing something like the alternate realities in Gundam, though. A Dragon Ball series that takes the core tenants like G Gundam did and then spun them off in new ways would be a great way to breathe new life into the series. Such a thing probably wouldn't quite work the same way for Dragon Ball, though.
She/Her
bisexual milf