Justin Chatwin apologizes for Dragonball Evolution

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PowerPhantom245

Justin Chatwin apologizes for Dragonball Evolution

Post by PowerPhantom245 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pm

In 2016, Ben Ramsey, the screenwriter of Dragonball Evolution, apologized to fans.
viewtopic.php?t=33935

Few days after Toriyama passed away, Justin Chatwin, who played Goku, paid tribute and apologized.
https://movieweb.com/dragonball-evoluti ... a-tribute/

It's not everyday you get to see apology coming from writer and actor.
It takes a lot of courage to make an apology statement like this from anyone, which something I wish to see more from movie industries in general.

I mentioned this briefly on other thread, but I want share my take on this statement here.

It was generally nice and heartwarming for Justin pay tribute to Toriyama and apologize to the movie, even though apology wasn't necessary.
Justin was fan of manga and anime, since he's the age where the series was in its prime, and grew up with it.
I can tell that he was heartbroken how terrible Goku was written and portrayed in that movie.
Even though I haven't seen much of Justin's performance, beside his role as Robbie from War of the Worlds 2005 (which I HATE), I thought he did serviceable job with character he portrayed, doing his best of what he can, despite weak writing and direction.
I don't blame for his performance and I NEVER blamed him for the quality of the movie.
In fact, he's not the worst part of the movie IMO.
It didn't matter who portrayed Goku, especially with the writing we got; even if we got someone popular at the time like Zac Efron or Shia LaBeouf, it would have been the same thing.
I personally think Justin would have worked better as villain, such as Android 17.
I would even go far to say, he would have worked better as duo with Eriko Tamura (Mai) as 18, but that's just me.

So what are your thoughts?

Please feel free to discuss.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Justin Chatwin apologizes for Dragonball Evolution

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:36 pm

I understand Justin Chatwin feels responsible for being part of a movie that didn't respect Dragon Ball but there's no need for him to apologize as it was not his fault.

He's an actor, not the screenwriter or director, he had no control over the artistic vision of the product and could only do the job he was paid to do.

We can of course debate how good his performance was, but the character he was asked to play was not Goku, it was a generic high school guy with a crush on a girl masquerading as Goku.

Fox should have given Toriyama the respect he deserved by consulting him on Evolution so they knew how to write Goku properly, because as the script for that movie showed they clearly didn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:23 pm

Whitewashing aside he made a decent Boo saga era Gohan, shame that wasn't the character he was supposed to be playing, but that's not his fault just the way the character was written

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:10 pm

He has nothing to apologize for. He was just an actor who needed a paycheck. It’s still nice that he paid his condolences though.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:34 pm

Respect to Chatwin for the apology, even though he didn't need to do it; he was just making a film that everyone could see (me included) was rushed into production and given a lousy script. Having watched the film, I think he was adequate and did as much as he could with the script.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 pm

Honestly, this movie gets too much hate. Sure, it's bad, but I don't think it was the even the worst film of 2009 when you had shit like Legend of Chun Li, Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, 2012, etc that year.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 pm

As probably the only person who likes DB E I don't feel either Justin or the writer had to say sorry to such a degree. Justin's "sorry" is short and sweet and I can nod my head and move on. The writer didn't need a paragraph though. He went into it for a paycheck and it came out as a bad film.
It's okay, don't let it bug you. But to get hate mail for it? Fans at their best clearly. Anyway life moves on.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 pm

I don't like the film, but I can get enjoyment out of it for being bad. It has a cheesy martial arts direct to video 90s vibe to it. Feels right at home next to the 90s Fist of the North Star live action film.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:09 pm

I thought Evolution was a perfectly fine movie for what it was, and honestly I feel like this apology was partially made due to the critical drubbing Madame Web(which got a lot of comparisons to Evolution)got.
GTx10 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 pm As probably the only person who likes DB E I don't feel either Justin or the writer had to say sorry to such a degree. Justin's "sorry" is short and sweet and I can nod my head and move on. The writer didn't need a paragraph though. He went into it for a paycheck and it came out as a bad film.
It's okay, don't let it bug you. But to get hate mail for it? Fans at their best clearly. Anyway life moves on.
I like it too, never understood the hatedom for it myself. Like VegettoEX I think it's fine for a silly kids film.

Anyone sending the writer hate mail over that film needs to get a life, reminds me of all the people that harassed Ahmed Best over his role as Jar-Jar Binks to the point where he contemplated suicide.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 pm Honestly, this movie gets too much hate. Sure, it's bad, but I don't think it was the even the worst film of 2009 when you had shit like Legend of Chun Li, Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, 2012, etc that year.
I enjoyed Chun Li and T2. For my money there are Oscar Bait films that are leagues worse then Evolution like Green Book, don't get me started on that rancid piece of revisionist history trash.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:40 am

I also liked how Stephen Chow, producer of Dragon Ball Evolution, didn't even mention Dragon Ball Evolution and simply reposted the Japanese promotional movie poster for his movie "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons" which is actually designed and sketched by Toriyama himself. You can probably Google that if you want.
The world is your's.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 am

KingVegetto wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:09 pm I thought Evolution was a perfectly fine movie for what it was, and honestly I feel like this apology was partially made due to the critical drubbing Madame Web(which got a lot of comparisons to Evolution)got.
GTx10 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 pm As probably the only person who likes DB E I don't feel either Justin or the writer had to say sorry to such a degree. Justin's "sorry" is short and sweet and I can nod my head and move on. The writer didn't need a paragraph though. He went into it for a paycheck and it came out as a bad film.
I like it too, never understood the hatedom for it myself. Like VegettoEX I think it's fine for a silly kids film.

Anyone sending the writer hate mail over that film needs to get a life, reminds me of all the people that harassed Ahmed Best over his role as Jar-Jar Binks to the point where he contemplated suicide.

Wow A fan of DB E? A man of culture I see. But overall you are correct. The writer getting hate mail is unacceptable.

Also if you want a silver lining in this then thanks to BD E we got Battle of Gods and etc out of it. So yeah.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 am

Nothing to apologize for, really. I wouldn't expect him, or anybody, to be fucking Marlon Brando and take the movie to wherever they felt like, he was actually ok, all things considered. But the sentiment is appreciated.
At least he has more decency than the director.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am

Yeah, as others have said, there's really no need to apologize. This was a project that just didn't work out. It's really hard to pin down exactly what went wrong because it just looked like a bad combination of things. Anyway, it's okay, life goes on. It's just a bad movie--already mostly forgotten on my end.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 amIt's really hard to pin down exactly what went wrong because it just looked like a bad combination of things. Anyway, it's okay, life goes on. It's just a bad movie--already mostly forgotten on my end.
From what I've heard the original draft was terrible but more in a "so bad its good" kind of way, like Tommy Wiseau on cocaine trying to write an epic fantasy kung fu film with sequences of Steven King-inspired horror, but still better than the final movie.

It was reported 20th Century Fox had Akira Toriyama as a "Creative Consultant" during the initial development of Dragonball Evolution. Why they didn't accept his ideas we may never know, sadly it was probably a case that executives thought his ideas were too eastern or goofy and they thought a movie catering to American audiences would work better, which it obviously didn't because people wanted to see a Dragon Ball movie, not a generic action flick.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:22 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am Yeah, as others have said, there's really no need to apologize. This was a project that just didn't work out. It's really hard to pin down exactly what went wrong because it just looked like a bad combination of things. Anyway, it's okay, life goes on. It's just a bad movie--already mostly forgotten on my end.
Mostly I think what went wrong was that it was a pretty boiler plate studio movie using the Dragon Ball IP

Chosen one narrative complete with prophecy and beginning of movie exposition dump? Check

White Guy Lead written to be "relatable"? Check

Love interest and uninspired romance? Check.

Goku can't be Goku because he has to be every generic Hollywood lead ever. Dragon Ball can't be Dragon Ball because it has to stick to Hollywood's idea of how an action-fantasy movie works.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 pm
From what I've heard the original draft was terrible but more in a "so bad its good" kind of way, like Tommy Wiseau on cocaine trying to write an epic fantasy kung fu film with sequences of Steven King-inspired horror, but still better than the final movie.

It was reported 20th Century Fox had Akira Toriyama as a "Creative Consultant" during the initial development of Dragonball Evolution. Why they didn't accept his ideas we may never know, sadly it was probably a case that executives thought his ideas were too eastern or goofy and they thought a movie catering to American audiences would work better, which it obviously didn't because people wanted to see a Dragon Ball movie, not a generic action flick.
I don't know. I can't imagine it falling into a "it's so bad, it's good" category. It was just all around bad. But that's the thing: it wasn't just one issue that you can point to. The writing was horrible, the directing was terrible, the costume design was abysmal, the special effects were laughable. And yes, the acting was cringy. It's like everyone who worked on this set out to make the worst movie anybody's ever seen using one of the most popular IPs in the world. And because of that, you really can't pinpoint exactly why it's so bad because... everything is bad. It's not like fixing the script would help any of those other areas. If the script was top-notch, the entire movie would still look like garbage and the acting would still look like a Mr. Simmons's 4th grade class presents: Dragon Ball.

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:22 pm
Mostly I think what went wrong was that it was a pretty boiler plate studio movie using the Dragon Ball IP

Chosen one narrative complete with prophecy and beginning of movie exposition dump? Check

White Guy Lead written to be "relatable"? Check

Love interest and uninspired romance? Check.

Goku can't be Goku because he has to be every generic Hollywood lead ever. Dragon Ball can't be Dragon Ball because it has to stick to Hollywood's idea of how an action-fantasy movie works.
Yeah, can't argue that. But it's just a bad movie inside and out. So, it's like, Justin... don't even worry about it, my man. You were not even all that bad compared to how badly everyone else dropped the ball on their end. This was like the perfect storm of a bad movie.

Honestly, I'm not being funny or sarcastic or exaggerating in any way when I say that I can happily watch Street Fighter (not the Chun-li one), Mortal Kombat (including Annihilation), and Batman & Robin, but I never want to see this movie again. I don't know why, that's just how I feel lol

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pm

I've worked on Total Recall as a background actor before so I've had first hand experience in how Hollyweird works. Their excuses in the whitewashing and misrepresenting Asian culture has always been "no one will notice". I go into set and I see what is obviously misused Google translations and I just feel nothing but disgust over the inaccuracies. At least, Guillermo del Toro paid the extra effort to get proper Hong Kong taxi cars and double decker buses on set for Pacific Rim.

What's also funny about Total Recall is, I actually checked the movie official website and it clearly stated that the country getting to see this at the earliest is HONG KONG. "No one will notice", what a load of boloney!
The world is your's.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm

PowerPhantom245 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pmIt's not everyday you get to see apology coming from writer and actor.
I dunno: reportedly for many, many years after the movie came out, anytime a fan told George Clooney that they saw Batman & Robin in theaters, he would actually refund them their ticket money out of his own pocket. :lol:

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 pmHonestly, this movie gets too much hate. Sure, it's bad, but I don't think it was the even the worst film of 2009 when you had shit like Legend of Chun Li, Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, 2012, etc that year.
C'mon, DBE is at least equally as bad as Legend of Chun Li. They're both right in the same ballpark next to one another.

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 pmI don't like the film, but I can get enjoyment out of it for being bad. It has a cheesy martial arts direct to video 90s vibe to it. Feels right at home next to the 90s Fist of the North Star live action film.
As a lover of cheesy, schlocky B action and martial arts movies, I really can't agree with this. DBE has none of the charm or idiosyncrasies of those kinds of movies whatsoever. If it resembles anything at all, its just a 5th rate wannabe knockoff of Spider-Man-esque superhero tentpole summer blockbuster movies. Its just a soulless, empty nothing of a movie. The cinematic equivalent of trying to eat air. In one eyeball and out the other, leaving no lasting impression whatsoever. Easy to forget it even existed. Which to me is among the worst kinds of bad movies.

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmI've worked on Total Recall as a background actor before so I've had first hand experience in how Hollyweird works.
For a split nanosecond my mind immediately went to the original Verhoeven Total Recall out of sheer reflexive instinct and I thought "Oh that's so cool!" Then I remembered there was that godawful Colin Farrell remake of it in the 2010s and was immediately like "Oh... right. That also happened. Never mind." :lol:

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmTheir excuses in the whitewashing and misrepresenting Asian culture has always been "no one will notice". I go into set and I see what is obviously misused Google translations and I just feel nothing but disgust over the inaccuracies. At least, Guillermo del Toro paid the extra effort to get proper Hong Kong taxi cars and double decker buses on set for Pacific Rim.

What's also funny about Total Recall is, I actually checked the movie official website and it clearly stated that the country getting to see this at the earliest is HONG KONG. "No one will notice", what a load of boloney!
Worth reiterating stories like this for all the people who keep insisting "racism doesn't exist/is a thing of the past".
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:26 pm

I would not remember that this film exists if the cast and crew would just stop trying to aplogize for it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PowerPhantom245

Post by PowerPhantom245 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 pm It was reported 20th Century Fox had Akira Toriyama as a "Creative Consultant" during the initial development of Dragonball Evolution. Why they didn't accept his ideas we may never know, sadly it was probably a case that executives thought his ideas were too eastern or goofy and they thought a movie catering to American audiences would work better, which it obviously didn't because people wanted to see a Dragon Ball movie, not a generic action flick.
There was also numerous other factors, such writer strike (2007~2008), several years of delay in production (it was first announced back in 2002), 20th century Fox reputation for interfering the projects, management under Tom Rothman, etc.
The movie was produced under so many bad circumstances.
It practically destined to fail.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm I dunno: reportedly for many, many years after the movie came out, anytime a fan told George Clooney that they saw Batman & Robin in theaters, he would actually refund them their ticket money out of his own pocket. :lol:
Even then, that's just one of the rare examples.
It's not always the rule.
Can you name any other actors who apologize for the movie?
If I was in bad movie and got the hate even if I wasn't writer nor director, I probably would have done the same thing.

Speaking of apology, Ben Ramsey, paid tribute and apologized (again) for the movie.
Image'

Another heartwarming statement.
It would have been interesting how Toriyama felt about his apology and how they would have interact.
I'm pretty sure Toriyama would have forgiven and had friendly conversation.