Justin Chatwin apologizes for Dragonball Evolution

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Justin Chatwin apologizes for Dragonball Evolution

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:53 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm
PowerPhantom245 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pmIt's not everyday you get to see apology coming from writer and actor.
I dunno: reportedly for many, many years after the movie came out, anytime a fan told George Clooney that they saw Batman & Robin in theaters, he would actually refund them their ticket money out of his own pocket. :lol:

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 pmHonestly, this movie gets too much hate. Sure, it's bad, but I don't think it was the even the worst film of 2009 when you had shit like Legend of Chun Li, Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, 2012, etc that year.
C'mon, DBE is at least equally as bad as Legend of Chun Li. They're both right in the same ballpark next to one another.

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 pmI don't like the film, but I can get enjoyment out of it for being bad. It has a cheesy martial arts direct to video 90s vibe to it. Feels right at home next to the 90s Fist of the North Star live action film.
As a lover of cheesy, schlocky B action and martial arts movies, I really can't agree with this. DBE has none of the charm or idiosyncrasies of those kinds of movies whatsoever. If it resembles anything at all, its just a 5th rate wannabe knockoff of Spider-Man-esque superhero tentpole summer blockbuster movies. Its just a soulless, empty nothing of a movie. The cinematic equivalent of trying to eat air. In one eyeball and out the other, leaving no lasting impression whatsoever. Easy to forget it even existed. Which to me is among the worst kinds of bad movies.

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmI've worked on Total Recall as a background actor before so I've had first hand experience in how Hollyweird works.
For a split nanosecond my mind immediately went to the original Verhoeven Total Recall out of sheer reflexive instinct and I thought "Oh that's so cool!" Then I remembered there was that godawful Colin Farrell remake of it in the 2010s and was immediately like "Oh... right. That also happened. Never mind." :lol:

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmTheir excuses in the whitewashing and misrepresenting Asian culture has always been "no one will notice". I go into set and I see what is obviously misused Google translations and I just feel nothing but disgust over the inaccuracies. At least, Guillermo del Toro paid the extra effort to get proper Hong Kong taxi cars and double decker buses on set for Pacific Rim.

What's also funny about Total Recall is, I actually checked the movie official website and it clearly stated that the country getting to see this at the earliest is HONG KONG. "No one will notice", what a load of boloney!
Worth reiterating stories like this for all the people who keep insisting "racism doesn't exist/is a thing of the past".
Yes, I was in that Len Wiseman remake of Total Recall. Never really met the director myself. I was mainly working on second unit shots and I've honestly only seen the guy like once at a bird's eye view. Colin Ferrell seemed like a nice guy though. As for Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro was fucking awesome. He even confirmed to me face to face that he is a fan of Doraemon. Even debated how Nobita is a useless character.

I wished Chow Yun Fat would come out and say a few words but he doesn't really have any social media. He's still using an old flip phone from what I've heard.
The world is your's.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:53 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:53 amAs for Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro was fucking awesome. He even confirmed to me face to face that he is a fan of Doraemon. Even debated how Nobita is a useless character.
Doesn't even remotely surprise me to hear that: Del Toro has by all accounts always been an incredibly down to earth, genuinely warm, all around normal guy with minimal to no ego whatsoever, and with a completely sincere, no bullshit love and passion for the source material of stuff that he's adapting or paying homage to in his work. Very approachable and like any regular guy you'd talk to on the street, kind of like the Keanu Reeves of directors.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:23 pm Whitewashing aside
To be fair Goku isn't Asian, he's an alien, although I've always imagined him as Japanese.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:34 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:17 pm
To be fair Goku isn't Asian, he's an alien, although I've always imagined him as Japanese.
To be even more fair, yes he is. At least in the same way we can understand Superman is an alien who just happens to look like a white guy. Goku is an alien who just happens to resemble an East Asian guy.

And not saying this applies to you, but many of the same people going "he's not Asian, he's an alien" to justify Goku being played by a white guy would throw an absolute bitch fit temper tantrum if Superman was played by a non-white actor.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:47 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm
PowerPhantom245 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pmIt's not everyday you get to see apology coming from writer and actor.
I dunno: reportedly for many, many years after the movie came out, anytime a fan told George Clooney that they saw Batman & Robin in theaters, he would actually refund them their ticket money out of his own pocket. :lol:

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 pmHonestly, this movie gets too much hate. Sure, it's bad, but I don't think it was the even the worst film of 2009 when you had shit like Legend of Chun Li, Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, 2012, etc that year.
C'mon, DBE is at least equally as bad as Legend of Chun Li. They're both right in the same ballpark next to one another.

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 pmI don't like the film, but I can get enjoyment out of it for being bad. It has a cheesy martial arts direct to video 90s vibe to it. Feels right at home next to the 90s Fist of the North Star live action film.
As a lover of cheesy, schlocky B action and martial arts movies, I really can't agree with this. DBE has none of the charm or idiosyncrasies of those kinds of movies whatsoever. If it resembles anything at all, its just a 5th rate wannabe knockoff of Spider-Man-esque superhero tentpole summer blockbuster movies. Its just a soulless, empty nothing of a movie. The cinematic equivalent of trying to eat air. In one eyeball and out the other, leaving no lasting impression whatsoever. Easy to forget it even existed. Which to me is among the worst kinds of bad movies.

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmI've worked on Total Recall as a background actor before so I've had first hand experience in how Hollyweird works.
For a split nanosecond my mind immediately went to the original Verhoeven Total Recall out of sheer reflexive instinct and I thought "Oh that's so cool!" Then I remembered there was that godawful Colin Farrell remake of it in the 2010s and was immediately like "Oh... right. That also happened. Never mind." :lol:

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pmTheir excuses in the whitewashing and misrepresenting Asian culture has always been "no one will notice". I go into set and I see what is obviously misused Google translations and I just feel nothing but disgust over the inaccuracies. At least, Guillermo del Toro paid the extra effort to get proper Hong Kong taxi cars and double decker buses on set for Pacific Rim.

What's also funny about Total Recall is, I actually checked the movie official website and it clearly stated that the country getting to see this at the earliest is HONG KONG. "No one will notice", what a load of boloney!
Worth reiterating stories like this for all the people who keep insisting "racism doesn't exist/is a thing of the past".
I think it has plenty of charm and isn't soulless at all and it actually did leave a lasting impression on me personally(which is more then I can say for those last two godawful Robin Hood movies).

I saw the Total Recall remake in theaters and thought it was pretty good overall.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:18 pm

Some could argue that without the awfulness of DBE Toriyama wouldn't have been as fired up when rewriting the BoG script and thus launching the Dragon Ball revival era we're still in today.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:34 pm And not saying this applies to you, but many of the same people going "he's not Asian, he's an alien" to justify Goku being played by a white guy would throw an absolute bitch fit temper tantrum if Superman was played by a non-white actor.
200% agreed! Goku is so Chinese-coded it hurts.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:23 pm

https://youtu.be/r2E7DJEIDsY?t=870 Ben Ramsey also apologised, and wow, just thinking about George Lucas making this movie... (2:50 :o )
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:10 pm

coola wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:23 pm https://youtu.be/r2E7DJEIDsY?t=870 Ben Ramsey also apologised, and wow, just thinking about George Lucas making this movie... (2:50 :o )
I'm pretty sure someone has suggested here the source of the rumour George Lucas was asked to direct Dragonball Evolution was a conflation of the reports of Industrial Light and Magic doing the special effects and Lucas setting up an animation facility in Singapore to try his hand at anime, both of which were news stories around the early stages of the movies development.

It's also unknown whether George Lucas is aware of Dragon Ball, although given its massive popularity and his interest in animation it could be assumed he's at least vaguely knows of it. I don't imagine he would be familiar enough with the series to be comfortable in the director's seat though, he doesn't even like directing his own movies. There's a reason Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand directed Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and other directors were asked to do the prequels initially.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:34 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:17 pm
To be even more fair, yes he is. At least in the same way we can understand Superman is an alien who just happens to look like a white guy. Goku is an alien who just happens to resemble an East Asian guy.

And not saying this applies to you, but many of the same people going "he's not Asian, he's an alien" to justify Goku being played by a white guy would throw an absolute bitch fit temper tantrum if Superman was played by a non-white actor.
I think most people wouldn't care the race of the actor as long they look roughly the same as the comic character, so they could be white, Japanese, Korean, ect and pass. In fact, the actor who played Superman during the 90s TV series was half Japanese, and it was a very successful show.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:03 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:53 pm
tinlunlau wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:53 amAs for Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro was fucking awesome. He even confirmed to me face to face that he is a fan of Doraemon. Even debated how Nobita is a useless character.
Doesn't even remotely surprise me to hear that: Del Toro has by all accounts always been an incredibly down to earth, genuinely warm, all around normal guy with minimal to no ego whatsoever, and with a completely sincere, no bullshit love and passion for the source material of stuff that he's adapting or paying homage to in his work. Very approachable and like any regular guy you'd talk to on the street, kind of like the Keanu Reeves of directors.

He's still a ball buster. Never had one moment where Guillermo hasn't cracked a joke about me. I tried to dispute this with the stunt crew and realized it's futile.
The world is your's.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:11 pm

Guillermo Del Toro expressed support for Roman Polanski in the past. Just thought I’d put that out there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:41 am

So a request for Justin Chatwin to play Granolah has gotten 217 retweets, so maybe if that manga arc is adapted and Chatwin does a good job we will be able to pretend his portrayal as the Goku in name only character never happened.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SquadronGOD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:55 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:23 pm Whitewashing aside he made a decent Boo saga era Gohan, shame that wasn't the character he was supposed to be playing, but that's not his fault just the way the character was written
Goku isn't white?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 am

Perhaps naming a white character Son Gokuu, based on Sun Wukong, is ill-conceived.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:24 am

SquadronGOD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:55 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:23 pm Whitewashing aside he made a decent Boo saga era Gohan, shame that wasn't the character he was supposed to be playing, but that's not his fault just the way the character was written
Goku isn't white?
Oh he's super white. Based on the super caucasian Jackie Chan and the Monkey King from the very white Journey to the West. It's genuinely a surprise we didn't get a scene of him going feral when Don't Stop Believin plays at the bar.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:24 am
SquadronGOD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:55 am
Goku isn't white?
Oh he's super white. Based on the super caucasian Jackie Chan and the Monkey King from the very white Journey to the West. It's genuinely a surprise we didn't get a scene of him going feral when Don't Stop Believin plays at the bar.
Hmmmm yes I agree, I wonder what European country inspired the appearance of the saiyan race... maybe Sweden?

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am

Goku has to be Asian/Chinese, it's practically in his DNA as a character. But even if he wasn't explicitly Asian, people would still complain about whitewashing in the film. Practically any Hollywood adaptation of an anime, even if they completely change the setting and even if the character isn't explicitly said to be Japanese, gets accused of whitewashing if the lead is white. You simply can't take another non-white nation's character, or even parts of their culture, and repurpose it for your own white nation's culture, even though the opposite is true. It has very little to do with "he's supposed to be Chinese"; that's missing the big picture. There are much bigger, more systemic issues at play here.

It reminds me of when Iron Fist premiered on Netflix and how controversial it was that Danny Rand was white with people saying it should have an Asian lead since everything around his mythology, development, and superpowers is Chinese...even though the character is white in the comics.
Last edited by DefinitiveDubs on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:36 am

If he read the script and then took the money and went on to star in that turd he should apologize.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 am

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am . You simply can't take another non-white nation's character, or even parts of their culture, and repurpose it for your own white nation's culture, even though the opposite is true
I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and ask you to elaborate because otherwise fucking yikes
. It has very little to do with "he's supposed to be Chinese"; that's missing the big picture. There are much bigger, more systemic issues at play here.
I mean no it has everything to do with that. Bulma being played by a white woman wasn't a problem because despite being a character from a Japanese manga who's written with a Japanese mindset nothing really specifies her race and she's coded as being American (girl from the west) so color blind casting is a non-issue. It's not a problem for Piccolo to be played by a white guy because he actually is an alien with no specific race l.

One Piece's live action adaptation was diverse because that was the intent of the author.

Detective Pikachu is based on a Japanese IP and had a half black/half white male lead and a white female lead and that wasn't a problem because the series went international in its setting by the 5th gen anyways.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 am
DefinitiveDubs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am . You simply can't take another non-white nation's character, or even parts of their culture, and repurpose it for your own white nation's culture, even though the opposite is true
I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and ask you to elaborate because otherwise fucking yikes
What the fuck was I supposed to say? Majority white then. Western. Whatever. You know what I meant. Don't pretend I somehow implied the USA belongs to white people or some shit.