Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 103 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 103 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:27 pm

Good chapter, actually. The fighting scenes were very well paced and enjoyable, the jokes were funny (except for that one about Pan) and the ending sequence was fittingly melancholic given the recent passing of Toriyama.

Very wholesome read, would absolutely take stuff like this over the Granolah arc any day.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:10 pm It's a bit of a 'whatever' chapter, but I felt like the ending silent montage was done well and captured a good mood. Gokuu forgetting who Pan is is such a bad and pointless moment, it doesn't really do or say anything and isn't even funny.

Hopefully everyone on Toyo-tarou's team gets to rest for a while.
I feel like that montage would be a great way to end the manga. They've well past the point of explaining how any of this lines up with EOZ so if it stopped now, that would be a good way to do it (if they didn't delay the whole Frieza thing).
That's actually how I felt. That silent montage felt like the final scene to an anime.

Yeah, if they did announce that Super is done, it wouldnt' be a bad way to end things.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:07 pm

I think the best thing about this chapter is the strong sense of connection to Toyotaro through the page. It feels like the whole world is currently united in grief at Toriyama's passing and everyone is processing how they feel and what this news will mean for the future. For Toyotaro, I can't imagine how devastated he must be. He worshipped Toriyama and they seemed to have a really positive working relationship. Now, the Super manga is in a more uncertain state than ever. One could see this chapter as a functional finale to the whole manga, if a fairly half-baked one, but there will surely be more to come after the Dragon Room take time to regroup.

It's interesting that there is no serious conflict to be found in the last few chapters. For once, everyone's getting on swimmingly, even the supposed villains. Goku finally gives Gohan full approval and respect, and all the Saiyans get to enjoy a royal rumble. An overdue nod to Goku's secret desire to find someone strong enough to protect Earth in his stead was a treat, as was Whis briefly considering Gohan God of Destruction material. I was expecting something to come of Carmine and #15's sojourn to Beerus's planet, but the bait-and-switch of them knowing when to fold their cards and turning Red Pharmaceuticals into a legit business was funny. Broly managing to control his Super Saiyan form was very abrupt, and Goku outright forgetting Pan was fairly eye-roll inducing, though nothing we aren't trained to expect at this point.

Also, all the pre-release drama about Vegeta using Evolved Blue instead of Ultra Ego... and it only appears for two panels :roll: If that somehow means Ultra Ego is gone for good, then by the same logic, Goten and Trunks must be abandoning Super Saiyan as they take on Broly in their base forms.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:26 pm

10/10 chapter.

No notes.

Felt really cathartic reading it given Toriyama's passing. It feels like this chapter was geared to just going "This is what Toriyama left us and the world. Enjoy what his brain have given us." Just the characters doing what they've always done, with the classic Dragonball party vibe. Even the bad guys got in on it and turned their lives around, in typical casual Dragonball-style.

This chapter just felt like Dragonball.

But the last few pages... that wasn't Toriyama; that was Toyotaro adding his own flourishes. The choice to leave the final few pages textless was a good one and a VERY unique one for Dragonball, and especially for Super (which has often been very text-heavy). Fill it in yourselves.

And I haven't laughed harder at a dragonball joke in recent memory than this:
Another character moment I enjoyed was this one:
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 pm

I really liked the more slice of life stuff(aside from the Goku forgetting Pan thing), I feel they could have cut the fight scenes all together and just focused on that.

I dont know if we're retconning Gohan power set though, the way they describe his anger in this chapter is not the way it was ever portrayed in the past. Gohans anger is just him tapping into his hidden power reserve, he doesnt lose lucidity or go beserk like Broly. It feels like a contrived reason to get him to train Broly but logically these characters shouldnt have much in common.

The ending was very touching

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:22 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:26 pm But the last few pages... that wasn't Toriyama; that was Toyotaro adding his own flourishes. The choice to leave the final few pages textless was a good one and a VERY unique one for Dragonball, and especially for Super (which has often been very text-heavy).
I was actually somewhat reminded of the Boo arc, as its final four pages are also a textless montage.

It's a lot more touching here given the circumstances, though. When everyone flew off at the end, I felt that. Makes me wonder if those pages were drawn after Toriyama's passing, even though these chapters usually tend to be drafted well in advance.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:35 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:22 pm
TKA wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:26 pm But the last few pages... that wasn't Toriyama; that was Toyotaro adding his own flourishes. The choice to leave the final few pages textless was a good one and a VERY unique one for Dragonball, and especially for Super (which has often been very text-heavy).
I was actually somewhat reminded of the Boo arc, as its final four pages are also a textless montage.
Yeah, it is reminiscent of that, but I can't say I think it's a reference to that sequence. Those were just flashes of people looking at each other. Less a sequential story being told during the textless portion and more just characters smiling. To put it another way, Toriyama captured a moment in time, while Toyotaro is recording.

That's why I said Toyotaro is putting his own flourishes in. And, honestly, that's all he can do now given Toriyama is gone.

And yeah, the emotions are still raw. I'm still in shock, tbh.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:29 am

I would be comfortable with this being the last chapter of Super, were it such.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 am

Toyotaro confirms that Toriyama sensei himself is responsible for the script of chapters 101-103.

https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/stat ... Xhcng&s=19

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:47 am

Here's the original article for those who might want a link to the source.

Fuck. This hits even harder now.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:56 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:47 am Here's the original article for those who might want a link to the source.

Fuck. This hits even harder now.
I don't want to sound rude, but for that panel with Goku forgetting Pan, Toyotaro was hit the hardest. Now that it is known that Toriyama is responsible for the epilogue, no one will criticize him anymore because of the known circumstance.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:59 am

Honestly, makes sense. Goku forgetting who Pan is is definitely a joke I don't feel like Toyotaro would feel comfortable coming up with himself :P

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am

About Goku forgetting Pan:

Much like Beerus forgetting who Gohan was, I thought it was pretty funny and in-character. Maybe what people should do is recognize that we're talking about the same guy who's been training offworld for years to the point of neglecting his own family; no shit he'd have a momentary lapse in thought about a kid he's barely spent any time with in the few years she's been alive. That is very much in line with DB's humor.

Vegeta then lecturing him was even better, because it shows how much these two have changed over the years.

Goku and Pan end up growing close anyway.

It's time to stop overanalyzing Dragon Ball being Dragon Ball.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:56 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am About Goku forgetting Pan:

Much like Beerus forgetting who Gohan was, I thought it was pretty funny and in-character. Maybe what people should do is recognize that we're talking about the same guy who's been training offworld for years to the point of neglecting his own family; no shit he'd have a momentary lapse in thought about a kid he's barely spent any time with in the few years she's been alive. That is very much in line with DB's humor.

Vegeta then lecturing him was even better, because it shows how much these two have changed over the years.

Goku and Pan end up growing close anyway.

It's time to stop overanalyzing Dragon Ball being Dragon Ball.
Bread in Spanish is called pan, maybe that is the joke. Maybe Goku thought Piccolo was going to get bread.

Sometimes a joke is lost in some translation or doesn't make sense in some languages.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:04 am

I don’t think that was intended though. It’s just Goku forgetting who is Pan, as he had to be reminded (:facepalm:).

I can understand the reason behind it, since Goku has that character, I only wouldn’t imagine to such extent, granted he fixes that afterwards, and I had a feeling Toriyama was responsible for it.

Given the circumstances, I don’t want to sound harsh, but this joke only doesn’t sit well with me and my wife, even coming from the man himself. I wonder how many other people feel uncomfortable with it as well.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:00 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am About Goku forgetting Pan
I don’t feel like all this even needs to be said. Pan being locked into Goku’s memory because she sparred with him is so much more in-character for him than him suddenly deciding to be responsible and adopting the role of grandfather. He can’t even comprehend being a father.

This is something that didn’t need to be explained, but I’m glad Toriyama decided that sparring with Goku is what started their relationship that we see hinted at in EoZ.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:09 pm

TKA wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:00 pm
Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am About Goku forgetting Pan
I don’t feel like all this even needs to be said. Pan being locked into Goku’s memory because she sparred with him is so much more in-character for him than him suddenly deciding to be responsible and adopting the role of grandfather. He can’t even comprehend being a father.

This is something that didn’t need to be explained, but I’m glad Toriyama decided that sparring with Goku is what started their relationship that we see hinted at in EoZ.
Goku has never shown to forget anyone in Dragon Ball manga, he even remembered #18 someone he never met before.
Goku even knew Piccolo and Kami merged, even though he was sick the entire time.

So Goku forgetting Pan, even though he was with Pan after Moro defeat isn't in character for him.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:09 pm Goku has never shown to forget anyone in Dragon Ball manga, he even remembered #18 someone he never met before.
Thinking of it, yeah, the closest thing to him meeting 18 was seeing Cell puking her.
Goku even knew Piccolo and Kami merged, even though he was sick the entire time.
He somehow knew everything that was going on there, it was weird.
So Goku forgetting Pan, even though he was with Pan after Moro defeat isn't in character for him.
Well unfortunately it is for the modern Goku, who's more of a Japanese Homer Simpson than, Goku.

Like the closest thing I can remember of Goku having a bad memory in the original manga was Goku not really remembering that turtle's name, and him not recognizing Chi-Chi, but even in that case no one else aside from Oolong did... And he remembered her once she said her name anyways.

Anyways, this was just a very okay chapter for me, had some decent moments but that is all.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:09 pm
Goku has never shown to forget anyone in Dragon Ball manga, he even remembered #18 someone he never met before.

Think more critically about Goku’s character and what the story was doing there.

All the people you listed were people who engaged with the major thing in Goku’s life: fighting. Of course he remembers them because he is interested in them.

Goku would have no interest in Pan up until this chapter, where she engages with the thing he cares most about. That’s what the story is conveying to you. She is now someone he will be invested in, and it’s a great foundation for the closeness we see the two display in the last 2 chapters of the original manga.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:54 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:56 am Bread in Spanish is called pan, maybe that is the joke. Maybe Goku thought Piccolo was going to get bread.
No, the joke is that he forgot his granddaughter's name because he's been an absentee grandfather since her birth and has always prioritized his personal hobby (fighting, training) over doing anything else.

It's that hobby that brings them together and forges their bond, as was explained to you above and as you can plainly tell from reading EoZ.

This gag is so innocuous that Goku, instead of continuing to be confused, nervously responds with "oh yeah!" the moment Vegeta reminds him.

Y'all are comically overblowing this.