SS3 Vegeta

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

SS3 Vegeta

Post by Kappa » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:59 am

Would you like it if Vegeta got Super Saiyan 3? (In the Buu arc)

I think it would have been pretty cool.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: SS3 Vegeta

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm

As a kid I would have liked it, as an adult I find the idea Vegeta learned Super Saiyan 3 but never used it in battle because he learned the hard way it was too draining on the body a far more compelling story. This is of course not a fact but it is a theory that makes sense.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:07 pm

Not in Majin Buu saga, but by the time Movie 14 happens, sure. It would have made a lot more sense Super Saiyan 3 than a randomly powered-up Super Saiyan 2, even if it's "rage-boosted", it shouldn't be enough to close the gap between its multiplier and Super Saiyan 3's (and the same goes for Trunks and his also random powered-up Super Saiyan 2 in the manga). This is coming from someone who prefers Super Saiyan 2, I must add. Some sense of logic should be preserved, but I know I'm asking too much here.
The only scenario where it makes sense for a user of Super Saiyan 2 to be above a user of Super Saiyan 3 is if the former's power level astronomically higher than the latter's in base form, to the point that, upon transforming into Super Saiyan 3, it still isn't enough to catch up. Which I don't think it was the case with Goku and Vegeta in Movie 14.

It would probably even be the only time we would see Vegeta as Super Saiyan 3, since in the very next year (in-universe) he would attain Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. So no harm would've caused. But you know... status quo/safe zone...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:22 pm

I want to believe he did transform once (off-screen like he initially was in SSJ) but found the transformation not worthy because of the extreme Ki taxing and not suitable for his battle style.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:42 pm

I don't see a good reason for it other than to please Vegeta fans.

It's something I think GT could have done in the Baby saga though.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 pm

Oh, certainly not in the Boo arc. I liked that it was at least kind of exclusive... I mean, yeah, Gotenks got it too, but at least it's not like every Saiyan started getting it. I also really like that Gohan was brought up to Super Saiyan 3 power without actually achieving Super Saiyan 3. And quite honestly, I never saw a need for Vegeta to obtain the form after Boo. Super Saiyan 4 was a thing early on in GT (even if Vegeta took a little extra time to get it, though to be fair, he was kind of MIA in the first arc as Baby took over his body) and obviously, he achieved Super Saiyan Blue quickly in Super.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:39 pm

That ship has long sailed.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:26 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 pm Oh, certainly not in the Boo arc. I liked that it was at least kind of exclusive... I mean, yeah, Gotenks got it too, but at least it's not like every Saiyan started getting it. I also really like that Gohan was brought up to Super Saiyan 3 power without actually achieving Super Saiyan 3. And quite honestly, I never saw a need for Vegeta to obtain the form after Boo. Super Saiyan 4 was a thing early on in GT (even if Vegeta took a little extra time to get it, though to be fair, he was kind of MIA in the first arc as Baby took over his body) and obviously, he achieved Super Saiyan Blue quickly in Super.
With Gotenks, it was forgivable because it was an easy cheat to explain how these rugrats could stand toe to toe with Super Buu." Oh they got fusion and on top of that fusing helped them unlock Super Saiyan 3.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 pm

Absolutely yes. Do not care if it isn't that useful or something. Genkidama and Kaioken were used as well and I don't think a single short burst of doing so would be bad. Think the perfect moment would be against Beerus during BoG or later flashing it off to Trunks.

But no... With Moro arc it officially is dead and with Akira gone we never will get it canon

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:59 am

There is no evidence that Vegeta gained SSJ3, he never uses that form at all in the anime or manga.

Goten and Trunks trained hard for 1 or 2 weeks in the ROSAT as individuals and fusion, something no one has ever done before. No one trains as a fusion.
Goten and Trunks managed to level up their fusion and themselves by a lot, along with learning and mastering many skills and transformation.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:05 pm

I never understood the desire to see SS3 Vegeta. He'd look awful, that mane doesn't work with his design, not with that huge forehead and short body. A muscular midget with a giant head and long hair.

Besides, it's a flawed form, it's too taxating on the body, it has a timer basically and it's not thaaaat powerful either, it was still far from Super Buu-level characters even though Goku had trained for 7 years in the afterlife.
I'm glad Toriyama thought up a way to correct the power beyond SS2 by improving said form, instead of improving SS3. Less is more.

I see it as an anomaly unlocked unnaturally (being dead, being fused), something that wasn't supposed to happen because it doesn't work, like some bad/useless/imperfect evolution type of thing.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:40 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:05 pm I never understood the desire to see SS3 Vegeta. He'd look awful, that mane doesn't work with his design, not with that huge forehead and short body. A muscular midget with a giant head and long hair.

Besides, it's a flawed form, it's too taxating on the body, it has a timer basically and it's not thaaaat powerful either, it was still far from Super Buu-level characters even though Goku had trained for 7 years in the afterlife.
I'm glad Toriyama thought up a way to correct the power beyond SS2 by improving said form, instead of improving SS3. Less is more.

I see it as an anomaly unlocked unnaturally (being dead, being fused), something that wasn't supposed to happen because it doesn't work, like some bad/useless/imperfect evolution type of thing.
Only Future Trunks in the manga has taken SSJ2 to the next level, something no one else has done. Vegeta hasn't done it, he only got a temporary power boost from rage, which isn't permanent.
Anyone can get a powerboost when they get rage, no matter what form they are in, unless it is UI.

Using SSJ3 on earth is more taxing than using it on Otherworld. So it is no surprise Goku could get tired, when he never used it on earth before, when he battles Fat Buu.

Goku using SSJ3 against Kid Buu was the first time using it in a living body, it is no surprise that Goku didn't know the drawbacks and was more tiring than usual, even though they were in Otherworld.

In BoG and DBS Goku doesn't look like he has any trouble using SSJ3 at all, indicating that he gained experience and reduced the drawbacks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:21 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:40 pm Only Future Trunks in the manga has taken SSJ2 to the next level, something no one else has done. Vegeta hasn't done it, he only got a temporary power boost from rage, which isn't permanent.
Anyone can get a powerboost when they get rage, no matter what form they are in, unless it is UI.
Nah, Vegeta has the same amped SS2 form Trunks has. He destroys SS Black who was implied to be above SS3 Goku (who was even with FPSS2 Trunks who had been losing to Black for a year). It was permanent in the manga.

The other part I left out, you are right. Goku managed to correct some of the form's shortcomings (even though in the anime it's implied it is still not 100% safe) but again, the power up isn't that great after all to justify a new form.
Trunks can reach that level without using that much energy, and Vegeta has shown twice he can go even beyond SS3 Goku's power just by powering up his SS2.
If SS3 is 8x SS2, Vegeta's FPSS2 multiplies his power beyond that, considering Goku and Vegeta are heavily implied to be even in base at the beginning of their training in DBS and also by SH.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:47 pm

That form has long since been rendered obsolete.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 am

During the Cell arc, during the training at ROSAT, Vegeta stopped at SSJ grade 2, knowing that there was another step and knowing its limitations. This is why I believe that he didn't pursue SSJ3, seeing what the transformation did to Goku.
To add, Goku achieved SSJ3 in the afterlife, where the transformation itself much less taxing (which is why Goku's time on Earth was ultimately limited in the real world). Correct me if I'm mistaken though.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:57 pm

No because it wouldn't be all that in character for him. SSJ3 is designed to be a flawed form that was only possible via a more durable dead body or a fused character. It's meant to be so over the top in terms of energy drain that it's only worth it if you have some unnatural state of being that can supplement it.

Vegeta is too strategic a fighter to waste his time on that. Once the god forms became accessible and then Ultra Ego, SSJ3 is pretty much worthless to him. Even if he found an opponent where the boost to SSJ3 would be more appropriate it, he would still just be putting a handicap on himself in terms of the energy cost and would use some other form that wouldn't have the drawbacks.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm

I always found it peculiar when the implication is made that Vegeta was never able to achieve SSJ3 at some point. SSJB made it completely obsolete, does anyone genuinely think he couldn't do it if he chose to? He's obviously leagues beyond where Goku was when he transformed into SSJ3.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 pm

I wouldn't be against it, but I like that it remains unique to Goku and Gotenks.
lancerman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:57 pm No because it wouldn't be all that in character for him. SSJ3 is designed to be a flawed form that was only possible via a more durable dead body or a fused character. It's meant to be so over the top in terms of energy drain that it's only worth it if you have some unnatural state of being that can supplement it.
You know, it would have been interesting to see SSJ3 be used with God ki in Super. God ki fits that criteria exactly. Smart guy Vegeta could be smart enough to make that combination work.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 pm

Thanos wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm I always found it peculiar when the implication is made that Vegeta was never able to achieve SSJ3 at some point. SSJB made it completely obsolete, does anyone genuinely think he couldn't do it if he chose to? He's obviously leagues beyond where Goku was when he transformed into SSJ3.
It’s been theorized by fans that SS3 is more or less an “unnatural” transformation that Saiyans aren’t really meant to use, which is why Goku unlocked it when he was dead, and Goten and Trunks were only able to use it when they were fused.