Is Super on its way out?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Is Super on its way out?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:00 pm

I won't mind seeing a retelling of the 28th Tenkachi Budokai as a way to end the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 pm

So apparently the Super manga is taking a break in lieu of Toriyama's passing. The wording didn't make it clear if it is just for the next month or indefinite. We'll see where the manga's production goes from here.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:00 pm I won't mind seeing a retelling of the 28th Tenkachi Budokai as a way to end the series.
Well, part of the reason why this idea of ending it at 28th Tournament is superior, is because that is the original ending Toriyama planned for the story. Super is supposed to be part of Toriyama's original story. It is not a sequel, it is not a continuation of the original story; it is retroactively part of the original story, going in-depth into the 10-years time gap present in the original story.

Therefore, it only makes sense for Super to share the ending of the original story.

Anything beyond the 28th tournament does not fall within Super's realm of interests. Super from its inception was not interested in continuing the original story, that still ended with Goku leaving with Uub at the tournament. Super from the beginning was interested in exploring this long time gap of 10 years that the original story just glossed over without any care.

Timeline-wise, Super is retroactively part of the original story and should thereby share its ending (Goku leaving with Uub).

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:00 pm I won't mind seeing a retelling of the 28th Tenkachi Budokai as a way to end the series.
Well, part of the reason why this idea of ending it at 28th Tournament is superior, is because that is the original ending Toriyama planned for the story. Super is supposed to be part of Toriyama's original story. It is not a sequel, it is not a continuation of the original story; it is retroactively part of the original story, going in-depth into the 10-years time gap present in the original story.

Therefore, it only makes sense for Super to share the ending of the original story.

Anything beyond the 28th tournament does not fall within Super's realm of interests. Super from its inception was not interested in continuing the original story, that still ended with Goku leaving with Uub at the tournament. Super from the beginning was interested in exploring this long time gap of 10 years that the original story just glossed over without any care.

Timeline-wise, Super is retroactively part of the original story and should thereby share its ending (Goku leaving with Uub).
These are the things that DBS contradicts EOZ:

- Goku not meeting Bulma for 5 years, when they were all together in ToP and Moro chapter. (Both Pan and Bra were born and aged). Pan is 4 years old in EOZ.
- Goten and Trunk being lazy. We see Goten and Trunks are heroes in DBS Super Heroes and now the latest chapter they want to train to have the power to protect.
- Gohan not fighting in the EOZ tournament since he retired. In DBS we see Gohan does train and improved his Beast form.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:40 pm

Like I always say:

Super will never go past EoZ, and I most certainly don't want Super to recontextualize EoZ to fit in any of its bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, EoZ is fine the way it is. "Updating" EoZ feels like a slap in the face to Z's legacy, and it will absolutely be worse for it. Just leave it alone.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:49 pm

super michael wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm

These are the things that DBS contradicts EOZ:

- Goku not meeting Bulma for 5 years, when they were all together in ToP and Moro chapter. (Both Pan and Bra were born and aged). Pan is 4 years old in EOZ.
- Goten and Trunk being lazy. We see Goten and Trunks are heroes in DBS Super Heroes and now the latest chapter they want to train to have the power to protect.
- Gohan not fighting in the EOZ tournament since he retired. In DBS we see Gohan does train and improved his Beast form.
Pretty much none of these are contradictions.

- Goku is established to be forgetful in both mediums. In just the latest chapter, he forgot about Pan's existence (in case you wanted to just put all the blame on Toei as usual). It is not unreasonable for Goku to forget that he met Bulma before.

- There's still at least 1 year between Super Hero and End of Z and people can change in 1 year. How many hard-working people became lazy during the Lockdown year, for instance? How is it a contradiction if Goten and Trunks simply changed over the course of 1 year of peace?

- Again, Gohan could have lost interest in fighting during the time gap between Super Hero and EoZ.
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:40 pm Like I always say:

Super will never go past EoZ, and I most certainly don't want Super to recontextualize EoZ to fit in any of its bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, EoZ is fine the way it is. "Updating" EoZ feels like a slap in the face to Z's legacy, and it will absolutely be worse for it. Just leave it alone.
Posts like these are funny, because they are so melodramatic and over-the-top.

Relax, the EoZ that you loved as a kid back in the 1990s is not going away just because some minor references to Beerus or Ultra Instinct are added or some other minor addition like that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm

Bulma was the one who mentioned that she hadn’t seen Goku in five years.

Speaking of which, another contradiction between DBS and EoZ is that the Broly movie and SH establish that Bulma has been using the Dragon Balls to keep herself young, and yet EoZ makes a point of showing that she’s visibly aged.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 am

Seems Super is not on the way out yet: Dragon Ball Super chapter 104 has been annoucned for the 20th of may: https://youtu.be/WjoyZ3qnV9M?t=210
Next chapter has been confirmed for the 20th of may, 2024.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 am Seems Super is not on the way out yet: Dragon Ball Super chapter 104 has been annoucned for the 20th of may: https://youtu.be/WjoyZ3qnV9M?t=210
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100012

The text that says 20th May 2024 is no longer there in the website. There is no release date for chapter 104.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am

super michael wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 am Seems Super is not on the way out yet: Dragon Ball Super chapter 104 has been annoucned for the 20th of may: https://youtu.be/WjoyZ3qnV9M?t=210

The text that says 20th May 2024 is no longer there in the website. There is no release date for chapter 104.
And the video I linked to have been put in private... I really, really hope this doesn't mean Toyotaro won't be drawing more Dragon Ball Super.

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:48 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am

And the video I linked to have been put in private... I really, really hope this doesn't mean Toyotaro won't be drawing more Dragon Ball Super.
Toyotaro had a good relationship with Toriyama and a lot of respect for the man, he's also now got to carry the "legacy" of Dragon Ball through the Super manga without Toriyama's supervision, so taking a few months off to process the event and grieve doesn't seem off to me, and I definitely don't think this spells an end for Super. Let's not jump the gun and go to the worst case scenario, I'd say just wait a few months until there's an official announcement on the status of the manga.
Go over time and space...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:11 pm

CodeOfMe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:48 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am

Toyotaro had a good relationship with Toriyama and a lot of respect for the man, he's also now got to carry the "legacy" of Dragon Ball through the Super manga without Toriyama's supervision, so taking a few months off to process the event and grieve doesn't seem off to me, and I definitely don't think this spells an end for Super. Let's not jump the gun and go to the worst case scenario, I'd say just wait a few months until there's an official announcement on the status of the manga.
Could be precisely the reason why he doesn't think he's up for it. It's odd they first had a date then changed it to no date..

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 pm

Really hope a fight between companies over the rights of the series doesn't happen, we just got last year the rumours about Akio Iyoku having disagreements with Shueisha and resigning to found Capsule Corp Tokyo, in the current scenario we would have CCT vs Shueisha vs maybe Toei, maybe even Toyotaro would join the fight but I have no idea how big his position is in there, he could get his ass kicked out of the chair, since Toriyama's trust in him may have been what kept him working on the manga all this time.

Whatever happens can lead to each one deciding to take their own paths, I will not be surprised if the Super brand continues in the manga but CCT and Toei drop it (or the opposite, or if all of them decides to drop it)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:31 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 pm Really hope a fight between companies over the rights of the series doesn't happen, we just got last year the rumours about Akio Iyoku having disagreements with Shueisha and resigning to found Capsule Corp Tokyo, in the current scenario we would have CCT vs Shueisha vs maybe Toei, maybe even Toyotaro would join the fight but I have no idea how big his position is in there, he could get his ass kicked out of the chair, since Toriyama's trust in him may have been what kept him working on the manga all this time.

Whatever happens can lead to each one deciding to take their own paths, I will not be surprised if the Super brand continues in the manga but CCT and Toei drop it (or the opposite, or if all of them decides to drop it)
Let's hope there is no legal issue. When Michael Jackson died, there was legal issues with some games using their music.

That is why there was trouble with remastering Sonic 3 & Knuckles and never got a rerelase.
That is why Sonic Origins the remake has different music for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 pm

Interestingly enough, the new sparking game uses the name Dragon ball: Sparking Meteor. Not Z, not Super

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:22 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 pm Interestingly enough, the new sparking game uses the name Dragon ball: Sparking Meteor. Not Z, not Super
The last Sparking name was called "DBZ Sparking Meteor" for what it's worth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:23 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to make the next arc the beginning of a new series, simply because they wouldn't be able to call those arcs overseen by Toriyama. It'll be interesting to see how the production committee members handle stuff moving forward.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:54 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:23 pm Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to make the next arc the beginning of a new series, simply because they wouldn't be able to call those arcs overseen by Toriyama. It'll be interesting to see how the production committee members handle stuff moving forward.
And if they continue - they might just stop the manga here, who knows? - I'm wondering if Toyotaro has the mental strength to carry the expectations of being the main man behind Dragon Ball. His twitter post after Toriyama's passing seemed very depressive-like: "I drew manga because I wanted to be praised by Toriyama-sensei. It was everything to me. ( https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 9923222751 )" And he's gotten so much criticism online. If they make a new series, maybe someone else would continue it? I wonder why Toriyama chose him. Gotta also wonder how many people he was presented with (or how many doujinshi's he was presented with).

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 am

While I rather don't believe Daima will be the new brand of Dragon Ball, I also am not sure what the future of Super is supposed to look like.

Sure, we got a promise about milking the franchise for many years but for one, it was before Toriyama's passing and also never was it stated that Super anime is making a comeback.
I don't think the last happenings will stop DB from continuing but a slight change of course may occur. Also in an era where we get new games, new anime series like Daima or Heroes, manga really milking the frabchise doesn't mean we'll get a Super animr anytime soon.

And truthfully I don't really understand people who are so sure we are going to see Moro and Granolah animated. I mean this was never ever stated and there is no proof they ever would want to do that.
On the contrary, if they wanted to, why not do it already? There is a lot of material to work with and it's a lot cheaper and easier to produce 3 arcs based on manga instead of coming up with the original story. They could even make Granolah into a movie if they wanted to.

The fact they didn't touch it to this day, means for me that for some reason they don't want to touch it. I am also pretty sure they are scared of doing anything regarding EoZ so for me DB future is a big black hole.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:52 am

I don't think they'll go past EoZ, they don't want to "overwrite" GT I think. Plus, the characters are at their strongest now.

To me, I think that going the yearly movie route for a few years would be a good idea. A new series isn't "needed", from a financial POV and a yearly movie can still generate hype and sell merchandise. To add to it, make those movies non-canon or even let them take place in different eras. Kinda like how the original movies were sort of alternate takes from the main storyline. It would feel fresh and with the entirety of DB, Z, GT and Super at their disposal, they could do A lot with the creative freedom it provides.

As a side project, they could of course keep animating SDBH.