Is Super on its way out?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is Super on its way out?

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:43 am

Jord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:52 am I don't think they'll go past EoZ, they don't want to "overwrite" GT I think. Plus, the characters are at their strongest now.

To me, I think that going the yearly movie route for a few years would be a good idea. A new series isn't "needed", from a financial POV and a yearly movie can still generate hype and sell merchandise. To add to it, make those movies non-canon or even let them take place in different eras. Kinda like how the original movies were sort of alternate takes from the main storyline. It would feel fresh and with the entirety of DB, Z, GT and Super at their disposal, they could do A lot with the creative freedom it provides.

As a side project, they could of course keep animating SDBH.
I'd rather have spin offs anime series with fresh takes than a yearly movie. Or OVAs.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:49 pm
super michael wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm

Well, part of the reason why this idea of ending it at 28th Tournament is superior, is because that is the original ending Toriyama planned for the story. Super is supposed to be part of Toriyama's original story. It is not a sequel, it is not a continuation of the original story; it is retroactively part of the original story, going in-depth into the 10-years time gap present in the original story.

Therefore, it only makes sense for Super to share the ending of the original story.

Anything beyond the 28th tournament does not fall within Super's realm of interests. Super from its inception was not interested in continuing the original story, that still ended with Goku leaving with Uub at the tournament. Super from the beginning was interested in exploring this long time gap of 10 years that the original story just glossed over without any care.

Timeline-wise, Super is retroactively part of the original story and should thereby share its ending (Goku leaving with Uub).
These are the things that DBS contradicts EOZ:

- Goku not meeting Bulma for 5 years, when they were all together in ToP and Moro chapter. (Both Pan and Bra were born and aged). Pan is 4 years old in EOZ.
- Goten and Trunk being lazy. We see Goten and Trunks are heroes in DBS Super Heroes and now the latest chapter they want to train to have the power to protect.
- Gohan not fighting in the EOZ tournament since he retired. In DBS we see Gohan does train and improved his Beast form.
Pretty much none of these are contradictions.

- Goku is established to be forgetful in both mediums. In just the latest chapter, he forgot about Pan's existence (in case you wanted to just put all the blame on Toei as usual). It is not unreasonable for Goku to forget that he met Bulma before.

- There's still at least 1 year between Super Hero and End of Z and people can change in 1 year. How many hard-working people became lazy during the Lockdown year, for instance? How is it a contradiction if Goten and Trunks simply changed over the course of 1 year of peace?

- Again, Gohan could have lost interest in fighting during the time gap between Super Hero and EoZ.
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:40 pm Like I always say:

Super will never go past EoZ, and I most certainly don't want Super to recontextualize EoZ to fit in any of its bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, EoZ is fine the way it is. "Updating" EoZ feels like a slap in the face to Z's legacy, and it will absolutely be worse for it. Just leave it alone.
Posts like these are funny, because they are so melodramatic and over-the-top.

Relax, the EoZ that you loved as a kid back in the 1990s is not going away just because some minor references to Beerus or Ultra Instinct are added or some other minor addition like that.
I’d argue that any minor addition exactly proves how pointless it would be. If the only purpose is to have Goku name drop Beerus, then that’s kind of lame. The way I see it is this: DBZ has a pretty solid ending already, and just adding Super references due to some misguided notion of “completion” doesn’t do anything for the story or fans.

Just leave it alone. It’s as simple as that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm Just leave it alone. It’s as simple as that.
Actually, it's not as "simple" as that.

With the Super revelation that Uub/Buu had God ki from absorbing the Dai Kaioshin, it seems obvious that the concept of God ki will be brought up in a conversation with Uub.

As was established in the Moro arc, where you had the Dai Kaioshin teaching Uub how to give his God energy to help Goku.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm

I'm starting to wonder if I'd prefer a telegraphed "this is definitely the end for real" finale or the more inauspicious kind of sayonara that Chapter 103 may serve as (especially in light of the news that Toriyama added that last shot of Piccolo waving farewell to us). While I don't really think it's the end just yet, I'd honestly be quite satisfied if this was it, as far as serialised stories go. Black Freeza is the only narratively important loose end (trivial fluff like "Vegeta visiting Sadala" is really low on the list of priorities in comparison), but if Neko Majin Z is anything to go by, the prospects of Freeza still knocking around in space and possibly forcing Vegeta back under his thumb may still be on the cards. Maybe after Goku left to train Uub (and Neko Majin Z), Vegeta went out to challenge Freeza again, got his ass beat, and reluctantly accepted that offer of becoming commander (the 'supreme' part being knocked off for his previous insubordination) of the Freeza Force.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:46 pm

Ever the bingo dancing negotiator, Vegeta decides to work again under Freeza part-time as a bargain to keep his home untouched by the Freeza Force. His goons are still allowed to visit as tourists though. :wink:
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):