Is Super on its way out?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Is Super on its way out?

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:01 pm

This is all pure speculation on my part, but is the Super brand being phased out moving forward? With Daima releasing this fall Toei/Shueisha would want to put their focus on promoting the new brand. Also since its run finishing in 2018 the Super anime never returning to Television. Most likely in favor of developing Daima if the reports of Daima's 5 years of development are true.
On the U.S. side (this is probably coincidental) we saw Toei/Shueisha/Bandai (whoever would be in charge of brand tie-ins) revert to the Z moniker for the Dragon Ball Z Reese's Puffs brand tie-in.
What do you think? Is there evidence that points to Super being phased out, do you think the Super branding will have a comeback after Daima finishes airing? Let's speculate together.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Is Super on its way out?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:07 pm

No.

Considering how Toriyama's name is still on the Moro and Granolah arcs and he designed the Heeters, I find it nigh-impossible for the Super Anime to never animate the Moro and Granolah arcs. Impossible. They are amongst the last of Toriyama-approved works.

Also, Iyoku, President of Capsule Corporation Tokyo, stated that he will continue to make animated content for the next 10 years to convey Toriyama's vision. Since Toriyama's name is on the Moro and Granolah arcs, I find it nigh-impossible that Capsule Corporation Tokyo will not animate the Moro and Granolah arcs eventually, and they will naturally be part of the Super Anime, not Daima. And he stated this BEFORE Toriyama's passing.

If the Animated Moro and Granolah arcs follow the format of the Zamasu arc, a 21-episodes-long arc divided roughly in three major segments (the ideal format), we can easily get up to 42 episodes of Anime adaptation, filler notwithstanding, and 9.5 months of Weekly Super content, breaks notwithstanding.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:27 pm

Like SupremeKai25 said, it's almost certain they will animate at least Moro and Granola eventually, I would also assume they'd make a television retelling of the Broli and Superhero movies. The "Super" brand is not going anywhere soon I think.

However, there is something to be said about how Superhero timeskips to only a year or so before the EoZ... I mean, sure, they can still cram some stories in that time period, but it is very weird to me that they changed the status quo when they could just... keep the timeline somewhat vague and milk the 10 year gap as much as possible. I want to say that it feels like the "Super" storyline is getting closer and closer to end... but why would they do this when Dragon Ball makes so much money? I also doubt that they will get past EoZ, especially after Toriyama's passing.

I don't think it's impossible for Dragon Ball Super to keep going, but as much as I appreciate the work of many other artists involved with the series, the main guy is now gone, and the future of the series is uncertain, particularly on the creative side. I assume that the brand will phase as soon as they get to the point where they can no longer keep Super going, assuming that it will happen, and then they will either just go back to the Z branding, because that's what's iconic, or they will just use a generic "Dragon Ball" branding
she/they.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:46 pm

I don't think so, anime is meant to promote manga in Japan, so since the former still has the 'Dragon Ball Super' name it would be unwise to rebrand it.

The Battle of Gods and Resurrection F storylines were rebranded, likely because Super wasn't a thing when they were being made, but once Super was announced those arcs were retold for them to be integrated into the new brand.

My guess is Daima will be it's own self-contained story that will start when Goku and friends are turned into kids and ends when they are reverted back to their normal ages. It would be wiser and help brand consistency if the kid characters with Daima designs were Daima-branded and Super/Z was kept for the designs we've seen for those respective series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:46 pm I don't think so, anime is meant to promote manga in Japan, so since the former still has the 'Dragon Ball Super' name it would be unwise to rebrand it.

The Battle of Gods and Resurrection F storylines were rebranded, likely because Super wasn't a thing when they were being made, but once Super was announced those arcs were retold for them to be integrated into the new brand.

My guess is Daima will be it's own self-contained story that will start when Goku and friends are turned into kids and ends when they are reverted back to their normal ages. It would be wiser and help brand consistency if the kid characters with Daima designs were Daima-branded and Super/Z was kept for the designs we've seen for those respective series.
Makes sense, but the one thing that I'm confused about is wasn't the Super manga originally meant to advertise the anime? It would make sense for it to be the opposite now given that Super hasn't aired a new episode since ending in 2018, but the Super manga is, and always has been published in V Jump. Which the guys on the Kanzenshuu podcast have pointed out is mainly a side book for sequels to legacy manga, and video/card game tie-in manga. While stuff like One Piece gets published in the mainline Shonen Jump.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:06 pm

NeoZ Duwang wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:27 pm Like SupremeKai25 said, it's almost certain they will animate at least Moro and Granola eventually, I would also assume they'd make a television retelling of the Broli and Superhero movies. The "Super" brand is not going anywhere soon I think.

However, there is something to be said about how Superhero timeskips to only a year or so before the EoZ... I mean, sure, they can still cram some stories in that time period, but it is very weird to me that they changed the status quo when they could just... keep the timeline somewhat vague and milk the 10 year gap as much as possible. I want to say that it feels like the "Super" storyline is getting closer and closer to end... but why would they do this when Dragon Ball makes so much money? I also doubt that they will get past EoZ, especially after Toriyama's passing.

I don't think it's impossible for Dragon Ball Super to keep going, but as much as I appreciate the work of many other artists involved with the series, the main guy is now gone, and the future of the series is uncertain, particularly on the creative side. I assume that the brand will phase as soon as they get to the point where they can no longer keep Super going, assuming that it will happen, and then they will either just go back to the Z branding, because that's what's iconic, or they will just use a generic "Dragon Ball" branding
Dragon Ball will surely get pass EoZ but it won't be under the Super name.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:20 pmwasn't the Super manga originally meant to advertise the anime?
It was, that's the ironic thing. The Super manga carried on and effectively defeated its own purpose. Conversely the Super anime went on indefinite hiatus and now it will have to go back to tradition if Moro and Granolah are adapted (which they will very likely be, Granolah especially because it had more involvement from Toriyama, but if TOEI do his arc they may as well do Moro too).
ZombieVito wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:06 pm Dragon Ball will surely get pass EoZ but it won't be under the Super name.
I'm not sure about going past End of Z, people have been anticipating that for years and they always find a way to squeeze more content into that 10-year gap. It will all depend on what Toriyama's wishes were for his son and everyone else that would be inheriting the franchise, if he didn't want to go past the end of the manga (which we have a lot of reasons to suspect was the case considering how much has been squeezed out of those 10 years) I could see Toyotaro and TOEI respecting that.

Toriyama gave GT his blessing, but it wasn't his story so the powers that be may not want to move towards that period, especially because it was something he would be happy to watch and enjoy with the viewer. It also might be risky invalidating GT's existence even more because things like Super Saiyan 4 are still a huge selling point.

Maybe we could see a remake of GT though reworked to make it fit with Super.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:52 pm

I think Super should end with whatever Toriyama left in his notes.

If they want to milk the franchise some more (but without Toriyama for obvious reasons) they should've change the name and start something new - a "non canon" continuation.

It's the best way to avoid even bigger mess (because three versions of Super is... already too much).

I'd call it Dragon Ball Beyond, so we'd get stories after the last chapter of the original manga. A typical what-if stories, or spin-off or whatever you want to call it.
Last edited by Trouser on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 pm It also might be risky invalidating GT's existence even more because things like Super Saiyan 4 are still a huge selling point.
The story can go post EoZ and still be "before GT" since it happens a whole 5 years after EoZ. I doubt Super will go THAT far anytime soon :lol:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 pm
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:20 pmwasn't the Super manga originally meant to advertise the anime?
It was, that's the ironic thing. The Super manga carried on and effectively defeated its own purpose. Conversely the Super anime went on indefinite hiatus and now it will have to go back to tradition if Moro and Granolah are adapted (which they will very likely be, Granolah especially because it had more involvement from Toriyama, but if TOEI do his arc they may as well do Moro too).
Not to dump on anyone who enjoys the manga, but to be honest it feels like the manga has outlived its purpose. The manga seems more like it's a curiosity to most people that I've interacted with online and people I know personally haven't even read more than a couple chapters if at all.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:36 am

Trouser wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:52 pm I think Super should end with whatever Toriyama left in his notes.

If they want to milk the franchise some more (but without Toriyama for obvious reasons) they should've change the name and start something new - a "non canon" continuation.

It's the best way to avoid even bigger mess (because three versions of Super is... already too much).

I'd call it Dragon Ball Beyond, so we'd get stories after the last chapter of the original manga. A typical what-if stories, or spin-off or whatever you want to call it.
I like to think Toriyama left instructions on how to end DBS once he found out about his brain tumor. Wasn't it confirmed that another movie was in development after Super Hero released? Maybe he deals with Black Freeza there, who knows.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:42 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:34 pm Not to dump on anyone who enjoys the manga, but to be honest it feels like the manga has outlived its purpose. The manga seems more like it's a curiosity to most people that I've interacted with online and people I know personally haven't even read more than a couple chapters if at all.
That's actually surprising. Here on Kanzenshuu it's very common to find people who follow the manga, not to mention many that prefer the manga over the anime... especially in regards to art and characterization.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:46 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:42 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:34 pm Not to dump on anyone who enjoys the manga, but to be honest it feels like the manga has outlived its purpose. The manga seems more like it's a curiosity to most people that I've interacted with online and people I know personally haven't even read more than a couple chapters if at all.
That's actually surprising. Here on Kanzenshuu it's very common to find people who follow the manga, not to mention many that prefer the manga over the anime... especially in regards to art and characterization.
I like both. But I haven't read past the Goku Black/Zamasu arc because I wanted to continue watching the anime.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:42 pm

Most of the people that I've interacted with outside Kanzenshuu are anime only's and have had very little experience with the manga. Personally I wasn't a fan of either version of Super. There were bits and pieces I liked, (with some aspects being done better in the manga, and others being done better in the anime) but as a whole product Super didn't do much for me outside the movies. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was more keen on Super, but I don't know.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:56 am

I mean, the Manga has been the only running medium of Super for 6 years, so... of course? Naturally many of the people who preferred the Anime are no longer as active as they were in the 2010s, with the absence of any new content and whatnot. I don't know what your point is supposed to be.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 am

Nah, the manga has at least 2 more years left, and one could assume Toei won't let the last few stories Toriyama was involved in fade away without being animated. I'd say it'll run for half a decade more.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:19 pm

As a brand that makes money, Super will never end. The GT anime ended in 1997 and is still getting milked to this day via games, toys, etc. – and being the bread winner that it is, Super isn't going anywhere from a merchandising perspective. I'm sure they'll also animate the manga arcs at some point.

As a story, the manga should 100% be on its way out. It's already close to where Toriyama wanted Dragon Ball to end, it was creatively running on fumes even before Toriyama's passing, and there's only one loose end remaining anyway. I'm not Shueisha, but if I were, I wouldn't let it go past one more arc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:21 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:42 pm
Most of the people that I've interacted with outside Kanzenshuu are anime only's and have had very little experience with the manga. Personally I wasn't a fan of either version of Super. There were bits and pieces I liked, (with some aspects being done better in the manga, and others being done better in the anime) but as a whole product Super didn't do much for me outside the movies. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was more keen on Super, but I don't know.
But that's most anime/manga. With very few exceptions, the anime is going to be the more popular option for most casual viewers precisely because they'd rather see animation rather than still images.

But even if Super does come back as anime--it will absolutely come back as an adaptation of the manga as opposed to a continuation of the 2015 anime.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:52 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 pm It also might be risky invalidating GT's existence even more because things like Super Saiyan 4 are still a huge selling point.
The story can go post EoZ and still be "before GT" since it happens a whole 5 years after EoZ. I doubt Super will go THAT far anytime soon :lol:
They probably will. GT and Super are in their own thing that don't follow each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:40 pm

I certainly hope Super ends with Goku leaving with Uub, as DBZ did. An ending like GT looks good only for the sentimental and emotional AMVs with the sad music, but it does not fit Dragon Ball.

The ending of DBZ, which is the ending that Super should respect and revisit, is the perfect ending to Dragon Ball. A definitive ending, a passing of the torch to the next generation, the student becoming the master and imparting his wisdom to the next generation, while also keeping in line with the funny and light-hearted atmosphere of the entire series.

The ending of GT does not fit Dragon Ball. Therefore, I certainly hope DBS never tries to go beyond the End of Z and end on such a melodramatic and corny note like GT did.

Ideally, the final arc of Super should revisit the 28th Tournament by applying some modifications (like references to Beerus and the Angels), to keep in line with all the revelations from Super: but it should also be respectful of the original ending that Toriyama chose for his series, which is Goku leaving with Uub.

Anything beyond that - it's just milking the franchise. Toriyama chose to insert Super in that DBZ 10-year timegap for a reason.