New 35mm and 16mm scans found

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

New 35mm and 16mm scans found

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:59 am

So recently Kineko a film real finder with the help of others found the 16mm scan of Goku's Traffic safety and Romantic Ageru Yo. And the hole 35mm scan of Dragon Ball Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
For Goku's Traffic Safety the quality is not the best but now we got 16mm Opening 2 creditless.
The quality of Romantic Ageru Yo and Sleeping Princess Is amazing. Movie 2 is color corrected and the audio is perfect
If you want to see the films then here's the links Movie 2 might get removed possibly

Movie 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGgS-C-mKY

Romantic Ageru Yo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IawuHxVZYWE

Goku's Traffic Safety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0hMZmCqI0

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Re: New 35mm and 16mm scans found

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:43 pm

According to the comments the uploader has taken Movie 2's scan without Kineko's permission. And good job uploading on youtube of all places, some real geniuses among these "preservationists".

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:04 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:43 pm good job uploading on youtube of all places, some real geniuses among these "preservationists".
Yeah, I know right.They put it to the best place possible. Thank God they didn't upload it to the worst place internet Archive or something :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 am

Interestingly, if you display this at 1:1 scale, you can see pixelisation which suggests this was mastered at 1080p and then upscaled to 4K.

Still, at least we now have an actually good open-matte/HD transfer of this movie. And don't get me wrong – it's a good transfer. It looks very good, and it contains what is probably the best-quality copy we've ever seen of the first DB opening. Don't let my willingness to issue a criticism lead you to believe I don't like this transfer. (And anyway, it may be a rendering or colourspace error on my end rather than an inherent problem. 4K playback on Windows is far from perfect. I encourage others to look into this, don't take my word for it. We have quite enough "this guy said something once therefore it's true" in this fandom as it is!)

Apparently there are a few missing frames in one sequence, so the screen goes black; I actually don't see this as a flaw. It's nice that they've left it semi-unrestored. I imagine, with time, the missing frames could be restored using the other available sources. It would take time to make it look good though.
Vorige Waffe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:43 pm According to the comments the uploader has taken Movie 2's scan without Kineko's permission. And good job uploading on youtube of all places, some real geniuses among these "preservationists".
oh no what a terrible shame that this copyrighted material that none of these people have any legitimate right to, which Kineko is using to drive Patreon subscriptions, has ended up available to the general public...

(Except, it's actually available on public torrent trackers anyway, and Kineko is credited in the description...)

I would like to take this opportunity (this rare opportunity of me signing into Kanzenshuu. Don't expect this to be a regular thing!) to remind everyone that one of the senior contributors to Kineko Video is the notorious troll Enigmo, known for doxxing people, bullying folks out of the fandom, and generally being a toxic shithead who actively hindered preservation efforts regarding the Japanese broadcast audio. Let's not pretend Kineko is some paragon of good in the world of preservation.
Their members have the time and money to acquire film prints and do some basic colour correction, and they're using that position to do some stuff we like. That's nice, but let's not pretend they're all saints. (That said, I do appreciate their work, and I'm happy we have this particular transfer available now. Sounds like a paradox for me to criticise and praise them, but I assure you there is no paradox here. A group that includes someone terrible can still do good. Vegeta was still an unrepentant, murderous war criminal when Freeza touched down on Earth.)

Apologies if this post is a bit of a downer, but I felt these things needed to be said.

Bottom line: Yay, we have a good transfer of DB movie 2. I wish its provenance wasn't so problematic, but who knows, maybe Kineko will weed out their toxic members in future. That aside, I wish Toei or Funimation would give us transfers even half as good as this. No green tint, no ridiculous cropping, no overzealous degraining, and no shitty auto-cleanup. Just an honest presentation of what's on those film masters, with the best-available audio.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:57 am

One really has to wonder how things got to the point of a fanbase ripping itself apart over the original license holder being cringe and leaving everyone to scrounge for scraps everywhere.
None of which would have happened if not for the aforementioned key factor (seriously, look at any anime studio who's doing proper restorations for all of their own pre-Y2K properties, not a peep).
Wasn't there for any of it at all, doesn't even seem like all those involved were necessarily completely bad guys (even though a few of them made enemies on here or elsewhere), but with this kind of property... no telling what happens.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:17 pm

Kineko literally put it on the cat website before anywhere else but yeah go off about Patreon as if you know something was leaked when nothing was far as anyone can tell. Not like the people complaining about kineko have any actual skills, connections, or teams or they would have been doing this way before kineko did.

Gotta give them props for doing what no one else cares to and working with people because of skills and not excluding because of internet drama that may or may not have been proven false.

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:17 pm Kineko literally put it on the cat website before anywhere else but yeah go off about Patreon as if you know something was leaked when nothing was far as anyone can tell. Not like the people complaining about kineko have any actual skills, connections, or teams or they would have been doing this way before kineko did.

Gotta give them props for doing what no one else cares to and working with people because of skills and not excluding because of internet drama that may or may not have been proven false.
Ignore robo, this is like his 400th delusional unhinged drama-fuelled essay he's randomly inserted into ordinary kanzenshuu threads

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm

Inkei9001 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 pm Ignore robo, this is like his 400th delusional unhinged drama-fuelled essay he's randomly inserted into ordinary kanzenshuu threads
Nope, he's seen the worst in this fandom and how many snakes there are. I encourage everyone to heed his advice and be wary of the wrong kind of people who these circles have attracted.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm
Inkei9001 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 pm Ignore robo, this is like his 400th delusional unhinged drama-fuelled essay he's randomly inserted into ordinary kanzenshuu threads
Nope, he's seen the worst in this fandom and how many snakes there are. I encourage everyone to heed his advice and be wary of the wrong kind of people who these circles have attracted.
Well yeah, he probably has seen the worst in this fandom because he worked with the worst in the fandom. His best bud, Arian, who he was working with to "preserve broadcast audio" (that apparently got hindered by le señor enigmo) is literally responsible for the initial BA torrent leak since he sold it for $200 to Puto.

Then if that's not bad enough, robo's best bud Arian literally robbed a guy (Echoes) of thousands and that's why Arian left the community after being caught red handed... well documented: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I36 ... HOWyk/edit

You won't catch Robo writing essays about this of course. Instead he'll make up fanfiction and spread bs about how le señor enigmo found Kei17's phone number and harassed him through the phone when both literally work together in Kineko... lmfao truly unhinged lunacy

also all this nonsense about "don't treat kineko like saints" lmao...who even is treating them like saints? feels like my mans fantasizes about himself being some kind of hero in online nerd world and needs to make sure Kineko don't take his spot or something

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 pm

It really doesn't seem wise to revive this whole thing after so long, nothing is going to change, Toei will never shape up unless some complete change of staff happens.
May as well enjoy what others in the same space have put out to see what the standard for restorations really is. It's not DB or anything in the Toei catalogue, but only then will you get an idea of what their various big IP's have been robbed of (like early 90's FGPX Cyber Formula as opposed to Sailor Moon from the same time period).