Dragon Ball Theme Park

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Theme Park

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:53 pm

To this day I think The Nameless Namekian saw war in the Dragon Ball Equivalent of the Middle East and this gave birth to Piccolo Daimaoh.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Galactic Specter

Post by Galactic Specter » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 pm

I totally get why Saudi Arabia is where this theme park is happening (the diversification of the economy beyond oil) but I'm cautious to whether they'll actually see it to completion. I've heard news of many proposed tourist attractions in the country going up in smoke before so this could be another one.

I do hope they actually pull it off because I would love to visit it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:12 pm

The idea of an amusement park is great and all, but SA doesn’t seem like a good location. I guess I’ll have to pass.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:09 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:32 pm They couldn't even wait a month before Toriyama passed before selling the rights to a Dragon Ball theme park, to Saudi Arabia of all places? Disgusting.
They probably had the rights to this before Toriyama died. Things like this was in the works for a while.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:57 pm Yeah, but it's not very safe for people who are LGBTQ+, women, and other religions as SA can hostile towards them.
Exactly, while I'd love to go to a Dragon Ball theme park and I welcome any efforts to embrace nerd culture Saudi Arabia has far bigger problems than a lack of either that should probably be sorted out first. For a franchise with such wide appeal the last thing any park managers would want to do is limit who they can allow in.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm Dragon Ball does evoke Middle Eastern imagery from time to time. I do remember reading that the Arabic dub of DBZ was heavily censored and tried to downplay the references to Eastern religion and mythology, but I don’t typically hear about Muslim countries having some taboo against fantasy elements in movies and television.
Yeah, a story Sean Schemmel told Derek Padula (which I assume Schemmel learned from travelling around the world doing cons and meeting fans from everywhere) is that because many Arabic countries are opposed to Darwin's theory of evolution and consider it sacrilege, lines in the Arabic dub about saiyans "changing" into Oozarus were revised to imply they "summoned" an Oozaru. The Arabic dub is also edited in a way that during the last few seconds before a saiyan shows any signs of transformation it cuts to show a fully grown Oozaru and the remaining seconds before the transformation are intercut to make it appear like the saiyans were mentally controlling the Oozarus. Additionally instead of being Goku's brother Raditz was just random space alien since fratricide is forbidden in Islam. Some fascinating stories around some of these dubs when you look into the culture they were created within, for better or for worse.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:57 pm Yeah, but it's not very safe for people who are LGBTQ+, women, and other religions as SA can hostile towards them.
Exactly, while I'd love to go to a Dragon Ball theme park and I welcome any efforts to embrace nerd culture Saudi Arabia has far bigger problems than a lack of either that should probably be sorted out first. For a franchise with such wide appeal the last thing any park managers would want to do is limit who they can allow in.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm Dragon Ball does evoke Middle Eastern imagery from time to time. I do remember reading that the Arabic dub of DBZ was heavily censored and tried to downplay the references to Eastern religion and mythology, but I don’t typically hear about Muslim countries having some taboo against fantasy elements in movies and television.
Yeah, a story Sean Schemmel told Derek Padula (which I assume Schemmel learned from travelling around the world doing cons and meeting fans from everywhere) is that because many Arabic countries are opposed to Darwin's theory of evolution and consider it sacrilege, lines in the Arabic dub about saiyans "changing" into Oozarus were revised to imply they "summoned" an Oozaru. The Arabic dub is also edited in a way that during the last few seconds before a saiyan shows any signs of transformation it cuts to show a fully grown Oozaru and the remaining seconds before the transformation are intercut to make it appear like the saiyans were mentally controlling the Oozarus. Additionally instead of being Goku's brother Raditz was just random space alien since fratricide is forbidden in Islam. Some fascinating stories around some of these dubs when you look into the culture they were created within, for better or for worse.
Ironically, I think the Kai and Super dubs MIGHT have lightened up with some of these restrictions. I am not sure, but I think they might have.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:18 pm

I just wonder...How long it will to take for this to be completed?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Galactic Specter

Post by Galactic Specter » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:36 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:18 pm I just wonder...How long it will to take for this to be completed?

It would probably take more than five years assuming they've actually finalized the plans to commence construction as the official article states on the Dragon Ball website. An entire theme park like this is a massive undertaking and incredibly ambitious, this isn't like Super Nintendo World which was one themed area of a much larger theme park.

I'll believe it when I see the actual construction of this park happening.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:50 am

Galactic Specter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 pm I totally get why Saudi Arabia is where this theme park is happening (the diversification of the economy beyond oil) but I'm cautious to whether they'll actually see it to completion. I've heard news of many proposed tourist attractions in the country going up in smoke before so this could be another one.

Can you give examples of projects that were cancelled?

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:02 am

About the location, it's not just about the Dragon Ball theme park - they are building a huge entertainment city in Qiddiya.
Other theme parks, stadiums, even a new Formula One track and much more... something huge is happening there.
The plan is to have everything completed by 2030.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8hKbFM59w

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:02 pm Ironically, I think the Kai and Super dubs MIGHT have lightened up with some of these restrictions. I am not sure, but I think they might have.
That's interesting, I wonder why Venus Centre toned it down for Kai and Super?

Maybe there was complaints about Darwin's theory being undermined too much, or maybe it caused too much confusion for kids that watched Z on Spacetoon and later learned how things actually planned out on the Internet?

Another good thing about Super is its the one series that got a complete Arabic dub, and they actually toned down the episode Roshi tries to rape Yurin by using digital paint edits and rearranging scenes whenever Roshi isn't being respectful (which is odd but good as its the one thing you'd expect them to cut). Everything else stopped at around 50-100 episodes, and GT was never aired, although promotional art was shown in magazines and such.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Galactic Specter

Post by Galactic Specter » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:50 am
Galactic Specter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 pm I totally get why Saudi Arabia is where this theme park is happening (the diversification of the economy beyond oil) but I'm cautious to whether they'll actually see it to completion. I've heard news of many proposed tourist attractions in the country going up in smoke before so this could be another one.

Can you give examples of projects that were cancelled?

I've probably consumed too much propaganda because I misconstrued delays and privately owned buildings as cancelled projects.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... et-delayed
Qiddiyah City is actually making good on its progress so far and their Six Flags and Water Park are expected to open in 2025-2026.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:18 pm

Still, Saudi Arabia is a pretty terrible place to go for a vacation. Even China would be preferable.
China is a better spot for a vacation. Disneyland in Shanghai and Hong Kong, good spot for shopping and especially for Hong Kong, it's an even better spot to shop for video games. Golden Computer Arcade has all sorts of console and PC gaming goods. And best part of it all, no taxes when shopping.
The world is your's.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Re-reading super and just came across this from Vol.8 lol

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:02 pm

I think that running joke on twitter about DB fans being one of the dumbest anime fanbases might hold some merit. There are actually People (even in this thread) that have this conspiracy theory that because they annouced this after Toriyamas demise this was some evil scheme by Shueisha/Toei to make money etc etc(Knowing damn well they werent just gonna drop/stop evrything dragonball just cause he died). You know this theme park was in the work for some years before they announced it you just dont announce things this massive like this without pre planning or approvals.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:09 pm

The Islamophobia is palpable. :lol: :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:38 pm

This isnt Islamophobia, I like Muslim people but its sadly true that Saudi Arabia is a very strict and discriminatory place. I think it will improve, they already removed the ban on Women Drivers. This ban was NOT religious, Muslim women driving its not such a big deal outside Saudi Arabia, the ban was just to diminish women's freedom. I think Arab territories didnt use to be so strict and I hope they chill again.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:09 am

Of course, countries are only "good" whenever they conform to our Western believes.
When you choose to visit a country you (hopefully) adapt a bit to it's culture. If you don't like the culture, don't visit it. It will safe you al lot of headaches.

Back on topic, I'm curious to see how this will turn out. I believe it's a pull to draw international customers but I'm wondering if character voices will be English, Arabic, Japanese or another language. A lot of countries didn't get the English dub so it's an interesting to see where they'll go with this.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:20 am

Jord wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:09 am Of course, countries are only "good" whenever they conform to our Western believes.
If thinking women should be allowed to drive and journalists should be allowed to walk around without being dismembered by their government is “conforming to Western beliefs”, then for once I’m quite happy to conform. Agree to disagree I guess?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.