Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:47 pm

TechExpert2021 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pmI don't understand why those who hated FUNimation's 1999-2003 DBZ dub (or their Ultimate Uncut dub from 2005) don't want a redub of the entire DBZ series.
I'm sure they do, but they're in the minority, I'd go as far as to say the vast minority. I think the fact we've had so many threads about a redub tells us there are certainly fans that want it. The question is are there enough of those fans for companies like Crunchyroll to care, and I think the answer is no. Us here in our little Kanzenshuu bubble don't represent the majority of Dragon Ball fans worldwide.

Most English-speaking Dragon Ball fans are happy with the 1999-2003 Texas dub and 2005 redub. Many of them are of course casual fans and it's easy to think because they don't engage in online Dragon Ball discourse that we outnumber them, but make no mistake we don't. Our voices are just heard more because we're more passionate about this franchise, but by and large we are still just a vocal minority.

Why have the orange bricks been the best selling Dragon Ball home release for so long despite the endless criticisms they've got on these forums? Because most fans were satisfied with them. Hell people were satisfied with the 2013/14 Blu-Rays even though they received almost as much backlash on Kanzenshuu and other places where hardcore fans congregate. And again thats because companies like Funimation don't care about what we say on websites your average Joe who buys the season sets in Walmart doesn't use or is aware of. Unless that large majority of casual fans make the same noise about wanting better home releases, wanting a redub, etc that we make the powers that be are never going to hear it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:42 pm

TechExpert2021 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am It wouldn't be necessary, because, as stated unlike the Sailor Moon example Dragon Ball Z has a complete, uncut English dub. Even with its flaws it satisfies what the vast majority of fans want in an English dub, that much is clear because its so adamantly defended to this day.
I don't like bumping this thread, but...

I don't understand why those who hated FUNimation's 1999-2003 DBZ dub (or their Ultimate Uncut dub from 2005) don't want a redub of the entire DBZ series. But it is understandable since we got DBZ Kai with a more accurate English dub.
Because at this point those people are sub only. For an example Vegetto EX used to care at least a bit and criticized the dub because he desired for it to be better and even became friends with one of the more sympathetic Funimation cast members to the "Lets improve the dub cause" but eventually, he just went sub only for good.

I actually do want a newer more faithful redub, I think there is an audience for it, as vocal as the Funi purist and "We Are Sub Only, we dont need any dub period" people are. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see this new redub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm

TechExpert2021 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 pm Honestly, no. Because the word "trunks" is an English name, pronouncing it in the Japanese way would sound completely weird and dumb to me.

The Latin American Spanish dub (as well as the French dub) of DBZ calls Frieza "Freezer". For the other names, there is in-anime text (such as on banners used by the Tenkaichi Budokai audience) that spells the characters' names in English but often incorrectly (e.g. "Beedel" instead of "Videl", "Piccoro" instead of "Piccolo"). However, some are spelled correctly in English (e.g. Mr. Satan). But overall, you're right on this.
Yep, I am right on this.

Let me tell you why the argument of other dubs using those pronunciations doesn't work for the English dub, though. The English dub tends to make names as closely as possible to the Japanese pronunciations for their scripts. However, there ARE at least 2 names that got a bit mixed up in translation, that being "Tenshinhan" as "Tien Shinhan" & "Kurrirrin" to "Krillin." Tien Shinhan is, from what I've seen, the way you'd spell the name through the original Chinese pronunciation of the Japanese letters used for it since they took their alphabet from Chinese while Krillin is a shortening of his Japanese name (I assume) for easier pronunciation purposes. They're far from the last characters to have their names a bit mangled, as Jeice lost the name pun on "cheese" for example, but largely most names are pretty close to the Japanese pronunciations. Or else Beerus would be rendered as "Bills" in the dub like it was in early fansubs of Battle of Gods before it got dubbed, which would later be weird because as shown with Champa, the Gods of Destruction have name puns on different alcoholic drinks.
To show why using the in-universe spellings is wrong a decent portion of the time, "Bulma" is the romanized spelling Toriyama himself put into the first chapter of the manga right on her shirt. However, that's a bad romanization because her name in Japanese is "Buruma," which as shown with her family is a pun on clothes, mainly underwear; "bloomers." Thus, as MistareFusion stated years ago in his Dragon Ball Dissection series, her name should be romanized as "Bluma." Toriyama had the right idea, he just had 2 of the letters in the wrong place. "Videl" is also a really bad example for this reason. Being the daughter of Mr. Satan (real name "Mark"/"Maku" a rearranging of "Akuma," the Japanese word for "the devil") is a rearranging of the letters in the word "devil." Whether her name should be pronounced the way it is in Japanese is an argument you can make (though FUNi wasn't wrong with the one they chose, since it's pronouncing the letters closer to how they are in the original word), but romanizing her name like it is in the dub is not a wrong way to do it because of the name pun.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:47 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am Why has Funimation consistently refused to include the more faithful, better acted and produced uncut Pioneer dubs of Z movies 1-3 since the original singles despite wholly owning them? Because most fans think the redub is "good enough".
This actually reminded me on the Akira 25th anniversary Blu-ray that Funimation released in 2013 they actually included the original Streamline dub and the better received Pioneer/Animaze redub from 2001. And like, yeah, why doesn't Funimation just release the first 3 Z movies with the Ocean dub as an option alongside the Japanese mono and their in-house redub?

I mean, I know WHY, because Funimation wants to make sure people only hear their in-house dub and they have no such favoritism to either Akira dub because they didn't record either of those dubs. But still even Funimation can do something cool when their biases don't get in the way.
So, basically, they were going to release their BR of Akira with only the 2001 dub on it because that's all they had to work with from the Japanese studio. However, a fan who'd heard about that came up to Sabat at a convention & offered him a recording of the 1989 dub to use for the release. Sabat accepted it, then they threw it on the discs for those who wanted it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have included that dub on it at all.
TechExpert2021 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am It wouldn't be necessary, because, as stated unlike the Sailor Moon example Dragon Ball Z has a complete, uncut English dub. Even with its flaws it satisfies what the vast majority of fans want in an English dub, that much is clear because its so adamantly defended to this day.
I don't like bumping this thread, but...

I don't understand why those who hated FUNimation's 1999-2003 DBZ dub (or their Ultimate Uncut dub from 2005) don't want a redub of the entire DBZ series. But it is understandable since we got DBZ Kai with a more accurate English dub.
IMO, in a perfect world, FUNimation would've redubbed the entire show years ago with a more faithful script adaptation for the Ultimate Uncut or Orange Brick releases for the English dub with Japanese music audio track & left the shitty old dub on the track with the US music. Most people I see who love that dub watch it with the Falconer score anyways, or tend to use clips with that music anyways, so I don't see why they decided to try to appeal to fans who don't mind the dub's dialogue or cast, but don't like the Falconer score. My ideal release of Z would have: Japanese broadcast stereo audio, English dub with JP music (redubbed), & English dub with US music (original/cleaned up dub). Even doing that with the current cast wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do. Kai, I think, proved that there's an audience for a better dub in that quality, so it'd make sense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pmJapanese broadcast stereo audio
However the original DB/Z series was always mono, for the entire run up till Movie 13.
(Of course, others in the same time bracket were already adopting stereo as well as keeping their own masters.)
Although you did say "in a perfect world/my ideal release", which implies that Toei would have adopted all the right standards from the beginning.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm

However the original DB/Z series was always mono, for the entire run up till Movie 13.
(Of course, others in the same time bracket were already adopting stereo as well as keeping their own masters.)
Although you did say "in a perfect world/my ideal release", which implies that Toei would have adopted all the right standards from the beginning.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am

I think that for better or worse (mostly worse), the Funimation dub has anchored itself into the hearts and minds of fans who grew up with those voices. Many people do enjoy the dub and even the replacement score for Z.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with the modem day Funimation dub. Plus in today's world, who would the redub serve? The series existed for decades. People either got over their dislike for the Funimation dub or watched the Japanese version.

I would rather they put the resources into a great release.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 pm

I'd be satisfied with just a redub of the original Dragon Ball, but that will never happen unless there's a Kai recut. As for Z, Kai has it covered. I do think it would be interesting if they experimented with grafting the raw Kai dub performances onto Z and having the current cast come in to fill in the blanks, but even that might be too much to justify. Nobody cares enough about GT to redub the whole thing, though at least the Blue Water dub is a solid enough alternative. I have my nitpicks with Super's dub (the handful of weird meme lines and a couple of decisions on deliveries), but it's pretty much fine as it is.

Also, we can forget about correcting the terms; many of the dubisms are far too ingrained in the English-speaking fandom to really do much about now. The best we can hope for these days are well-performed dubs with solid scripting that still happen to use the old terms. I think I can live with that, especially since most of the character names at least resemble what they're supposed to be, even if some of them are kinda poor romanizations. DB is far from a case of Katsuya Jonouchi and Anzu Mazaki becoming Joey Wheeler and Téa Gardner.

Don't get me wrong; having Makankosappo, Kienzan, and Taiyoken were REALLY nice while we had them. But it's clear that these days they want to toe the line of being faithful while not alienating people who grew up on the older dubs. Hell, that's even what Toei wants based on at their Super subtitles and insisting on dub spellings in the Broly movie subs (thank Christ they let Makankosappo and Kienzan through in the Superhero subs).

Sure, this philosophy has resulted in the aforementioned meme lines in Super's dub, but we're still in an overall great spot compared to where we were during the OG dub run. The Kai and Super dubs are still pretty much the same shows in both English and Japanese despite a few nitpicks, and the same goes for the last four films. And even if we lost some of the attack names, we at least get to keep the correct pronunciations for Kamehameha and Kaioken. Hell, they even fixed their Vegetto spelling in the shows (the games are another story, but they can't even decide if they want Mr. Satan or Hercule). Of course I'd like things to be even better, but I think it's worth counting our blessings. Everything is available subbed, the current dubs are solid, and we have alternative dubs for the absolute worst stuff.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 pm

Dragon Ball truly does "deserve" an actual, front-to-back, consistent and accurate dub, but I'm sure that is not profitable to the extent that it would be worth it for anyone to do. Funimation had their chance with Kai, but they truly could not make up their minds whether they wanted to do something fresh or lean into their existing dub-isms. There should've been a 99% top-to-bottom recast of the whole show. Most of the existing actors were there to begin with solely because of their ability to approximate an imitation of the Ocean cast's voices (who themselves don't seem to have taken much inspiration from the original Japanese voices or intent of the characters at all). Even though Funimation had gone stratospheric in its budget and pool of voice talent, they still gave Sabat half the main cast. The fact that Sean Schemmel was continued to be allowed to do his embarrassing "what in the hell are you doing with your mouth" Kaio voice says it all. He was never a particularly good fit for Goku until recent years, for that matter.

It felt for a moment like Funimation had it in them to actually challenge the status quo they had created in the dark ages of English anime dubs, but at this point they're leaning back into it, along with whatever TeamFourStar-adjacent nudges and self-aware liberties to the lines in the script they want to send to the fandom.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:09 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 pm I'd be satisfied with just a redub of the original Dragon Ball, but that will never happen unless there's a Kai recut.
Yeah, for original Dragon Ball I was going to say there's the Blue Water dub, but I guess you mentioned that option for GT and you did a Dragon Box sync so your aware its available (albeit not by any legal means sadly).

The scripts for the first 30 or so episodes of Blue Water Dragon Ball vary a lot, but exponentially improve once they get into the Red Ribbon Army arc.

The BLT dub is the most accurate English dub of episodes 1-13 we know of (maybe the Creative Corp Product and Animax dubs are more faithful, but sadly both are lost so we can't confirm or deny). Granted BLT is very clearly a dub made for TV with the heavy censorship of Roshi's antics, but they reverse the 4Kids-style changes made in Harmony Gold's dub of episodes 1-5 and re-adapt dialogue so individual lines are less faithful. Conversely the Funimation inhouse dub re-adapted BLT's dub without trying to make it more accurate other than reinstating Roshi's perverse antics.

A lot of people seem to not realise this (basically unless the edit would require visual editing to make it work, any of Funi's censorship persists in their uncut dub as well as their TV edit; but because it's just dialogue censorship, a lot of people just don't know it's a change

Generally unless an edit needed visual editing to work Funimation's censorship persists in their scripts, although because these are dialogue changes not video cuts many fans don't realize even their "uncut" dub is just uncut in name only. Effectively both Funimation and Blue Water's dubs are censored dubs, its just the former has a lot more nonsense thrown in.

Blue Water do exactly what Funimation should have done for the BLT dub scripts, and that's rework the dialogue to sound more natural, referencing accurate translations whenever corrections were necessary. Additionally their dub offers some examples of faithful terminology, like Goku referring to himself as "Son Goku" in episode 1, Nyoi'Bo, Kinto'Un, Crane Hermit isn't "Master Shen" or "Hero" (as is the case with Funimation's dub). Errors like Black having a sister, Goku's line about sensing Piccolo's power level, the feud between Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai, Piccolo saying he fought beings all over the universe were all discarded for more faithful dialogue.

You could argue Blue Water's scripting felt rushed for the first 28 episodes, but it's understandable considering they probably wrote and dubbed all 64 episodes between January and June 2003 and then they had until November 2004 to do all 153 episodes of original Dragon Ball. Blue Water were also working on many other shows at this time like Flame of Recca, Banner of the Stars and Gregory Horror Show (in addition to The Bloody Karte and The Second Guest) so it's entirely possible that Dragon Ball was backlogged and only picked up on the scripting in early 2004 when the Red Ribbon Army arc aired on Toonami UK. There were more writing staff on Blue Water Dragon Ball than GT too, which would also support more hands being needed.

Funimation's scripts had the edge over Blue Water for episodes 14-28 when the latter seemingly didn't have the chance or time to adapt a lot of the dialogue correctly and ended up with weird oddities like that really dark line from Nam about how Goku's state of unconsciousness sending him to the Gods and Roshi telling Yamcha a doctor can only help the living.

Blue Water GT's scripts were almost exclusively written based on original Japanese to English translations. Of course it helped that Ocean caught up with Funimation by the time they were moving on to GT. Naturally for original Dragon Ball it was cheaper for Ocean use the scripts Funimation had already written for those first 30(ish) episodes to save time on translating and adapting all the Japanese materials from the ground up.

Of course when it comes to acting that's a bit more subjective. After Dragon Ball Z Ocean began outsourcing to Blue Water to save money on paying the more seasoned Vancouver cast, but for me personally the Texas cast were not that much better than the Calgary cast at this time. Both were inexperienced, hired for the sake of penny pinching and imitating the Vancouver actors, and ultimately leave a lot to be desired when it comes to performances.

I personally find Zoe Slusar's less husky kid Goku voice more natural sounding than Stephanie Nadolny. Similarly I'd take Caitlynne Medrek's Pan over Elise Paige Baughman anyday. It also helps both were child actors at the time, the authenticity is a nice touch. Sean Schemmel as adult Goku may be better than Jeremiah Yurk's discount store Kirby Morrow but the bizarre lines about light overcoming the darkness, the value of people living good lives make Funimation's GT dub too jarring for me. Chris Sabat is fine as Vegeta but irredeemably awful as Yi Xing Long, Roger Rhodes was meh as the former and bland as the latter, albeit without the distracting voice filter.

Ultimately none of the performances in either Funimation or Blue Water's dubs of original Dragon Ball and GT but Blue Water at least put effort into the scripting and clearly cared about presenting the shows faithfully, so I'll ultimately give their dubs the edge as alternatives for both shows.

Obviously for Funimation Z vs Westwood Z the scripts are near identical, though the latter improves slightly on certain terminology like "Instant Translocation" as well as pronunciations like Kaioken and Videl. Sadly Westwood's greatest weakness is it has no uncut or Kikuchi-scored equivalent but I'd still take the experienced Vancouver cast's deliveries over what we got from Funimation's cast who were clearly learning to act as they went along, not coming in as trained professionals to inconsistent direction like Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil, etc were while still doing respectable work in spite of the circumstances.

Between the two North American dubs, and even if we want to count it the Creative Corp Product dub that's mostly lost, only dubbed up until some point in the Namek arc there's really no ideal way of watching Dragon Ball Z in English, it's never been dubbed to a high standard. Of all three original anime Dragon Ball Z would clearly benefit the most from the redub treatment and because Ocean were in a hurry to sell their dub to AB Groupe to distribute within Europe they weren't able to rely on their incredibly gifted writing staff they were able to utilise for GT and original Dragon Ball.

In light of this part of the reason I will always advocate for Ocean Kai is that once its out fans who want to watch that part of the story will have two strong, solid, consistent productions with the choice of two casts who were both seasoned professionals by the time of its production. Given their history I would also expect Ocean Kai's scripts to be on similar ground to Funimation in terms of faithfulness, maybe even re-adapting Funimation's lines to flow better, as while their Kai dub is quite good some of the overly bloated lines can be a bit overkill at times even if the performances save them.

Ultimately as a fan of dubs I do think it's unfortunate to get the best experience of the entire 1986-1997 anime storyline in English you have to jump through so many hoops between switching casts, having scripts that vary widely in separate productions with drastically different approaches, settling for censorship in the original series or a replacement score in Z if you want the better voices. It's just the biggest mess and doesn't serve anyone to the full.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am

I see Kai kept being thrown around as why Z doesn't need a redub and like Kai isn't Z. It's a shoddily edited, half assed, censored recut with badly placed music in the first series and a hideous green tint in the second series. I'm happy for dub fans satisfied with Kai but Kai's dub being good is a consolation prize at best.

Of course "should Dragon Ball Z get a redub" and "could Dragon Ball Z get a redub" are two different things.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 am

Yup, Kai is pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to any prospects of the Saiyan, Freeza, artificial human or Boo arcs being redubbed. It was the single chance and one-off excuse TOEI could ever Funimation. Now of course you could argue there was never anything stopping Funimation from taking the initiative and doing a complete redub themselves because they have the confidence in their regular customers to support it, but that gets back to your next point....
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am Of course "should Dragon Ball Z get a redub" and "could Dragon Ball Z get a redub" are two different things.
To which the former is sure, why not, if it can be pulled off, not just as an artistic endeavour but also from a business perspective, but the answer to the latter question is a resounding no. Its great to have ambitions, but when it's prohibitively costly and a major financial risk such a proposition is just never going to get off the ground.

No executive would take such pipe dreams based on purist fantasies seriously, not to mention other costs such as licensing, production of physical media (which granted is not as big as it used to be but still has its reliable supporters), running a streaming service make anime dubbing a fragile industry to begin with that for better or for worse Funimation's original dub of Dragon Ball Z no doubt was invaluable to growing sales.

Again why scrap the dub that helped so much, only to invest in something new (which as per the OP's suggestion is made partly to spite the older product and its fans) that there's no reason to suspect will reach anything close to the same level of success but many reasons to think it will fall flat on its face if the goal is to not only break even but turn a profit (and again there has to be some incentive for this, creative reasons alone aren't going to suffice)?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm
Bro. Do you really not know of the broadcast audios? You must be exceptionally uninformed on a bunch of things. People have collected high quality VHS rips of each episode people in Japan recorded while they were airing back in the day. They offered them to Toei, but Toei wasn't interested. However, Chris Sabat has the audio files that he was given by them & AB Groupe snuck them on their Blu-Ray for OG Dragon Ball. We can get them on home releases. Toei just has to authorize it, or a licensor has to be sneaky.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am I see Kai kept being thrown around as why Z doesn't need a redub and like Kai isn't Z. It's a shoddily edited, half assed, censored recut with badly placed music in the first series and a hideous green tint in the second series. I'm happy for dub fans satisfied with Kai but Kai's dub being good is a consolation prize at best.

Of course "should Dragon Ball Z get a redub" and "could Dragon Ball Z get a redub" are two different things.
"Shottily edited"? Not really. Though I can see that for the first batch of episodes, as they cut out certain connecting frames that were in the original Z, the editing got better over time as Q-Tec found their groove with doing it. Although, I wish Toei had cut more of the filler out of the last 69 episodes that they didn't need to leave in.
"Half-assed"? Not really. The phrase you're looking for is "done on the cheap." It's clear that Toei didn't give Q-Tec a lot of money & the fact that they did the Buu Arc in-house to save even more money rather than let Q-Tec finish it is evident. Q-Tec put a decent amount of effort into the series. They color-corrected the film masters back to closer to how the show originally looked, remastered it into HD, edited out a LOT of filler to keep the story & pacing more close to the manga, color-corrected Vegeta's color pallette in the first scene he appears in, redid scenes with heavy flashes to be less seizure-inducing, & what not. The only things that are really weird is where they rotoscoped over the original animation to either repair damaged frames (as I guess they claimed), or change the strobe effects in the beam clashes. Those aren't great when they stick out like sore thumbs.
"Censored," not really. Early on, yes, with the holes in Raditz & Goku filled in, the blood being toned down, & the nudity with Gohan & Goku covered up. And in Toei's Buu Arc recut, the middle fingers were censored for some reason. However, nothing else was really censored & what WAS censored is mostly negligible.

I don't know if anyone actually says that because Kai exists, Z doesn't need to be redubbed, as that's not the case whatsoever. IMO, it really needs a modern redub. The original Z dub is shottily translated, really badly acted (even with the redubbed lines from 20 years ago with somewhat better performances & cleaned up dialogue), & badly-produced. I honestly think if they redubbed the whole show & released it on a new Z release alongside the original dub, everyone would be happy even if they'd probably still use the shitty FUNi visual remaster from 10 years ago.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 am ]
"Shottily edited"? Not really. Though I can see that for the first batch of episodes, as they cut out certain connecting frames that were in the original Z, the editing got better over time as Q-Tec found their groove with doing it. Although, I wish Toei had cut more of the filler out of the last 69 episodes that they didn't need to leave in.
1. The aforementioned early issues

2. Redrawn scenes that stick out like a sore thumb because they look like an 8 year olds fanart

3. Way too much filler kept in

4. Green tint in Boo

"Half-assed"? Not really. The phrase you're looking for is "done on the cheap." It's clear that Toei didn't give Q-Tec a lot of money & the fact that they did the Buu Arc in-house to save even more money rather than let Q-Tec finish it is evident. Q-Tec put a decent amount of effort into the series. They color-corrected the film masters back to closer to how the show originally looked, remastered it into HD, edited out a LOT of filler to keep the story & pacing more close to the manga, color-corrected Vegeta's color pallette in the first scene he appears in, redid scenes with heavy flashes to be less seizure-inducing, & what not. The only things that are really weird is where they rotoscoped over the original animation to either repair damaged frames (as I guess they claimed), or change the strobe effects in the beam clashes. Those aren't great when they stick out like sore thumbs.
"It's the Toriyama manga cut!" *Screws up that premise literally within the first second, to say nothing of when they get to Buu, which, lmfao.
"Censored," not really. Early on, yes, with the holes in Raditz & Goku filled in, the blood being toned down, & the nudity with Gohan & Goku covered up. And in Toei's Buu Arc recut, the middle fingers were censored for some reason. However, nothing else was really censored & what WAS censored is mostly negligible.
1. The middle finger being censored was all of Kai not just Buu

2. Buu Kai completely omitted the sniper killing the old couplea scene that was in the manga (you know that thing Kai was allegedly supposed to be cut around?) Plenty of other notable scenes like Bobbodi's death or the monk's death at the Tenkaichi Tournament when Bobbodi is looking for Trunks and Goten. And yes some othe gore scenes like Vegeta coughing up blood when Freeza kills him.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 am Bro. Do you really not know of the broadcast audios? You must be exceptionally uninformed on a bunch of things.
Mistake #1: I do know of the broadcast audio, in fact I've gotten the chance to inspect it as separate from the video files (MKVCleaver, then into Audacity).
Mistake #2: Regardless of its quality, it is still in fact a mono audio channel, it was not produced as 2 channel stereo to begin with. Even if it is duplicated on both channels like the movie audio is for 1-12, that does not make it stereo.
Mono is merely a channel category, the proper distinction between high and low would be what came from the original masters and what came from the degraded optical tapes (both produced in mono as that's how the series originally aired).
Mistake #3: Claiming that I'm uninformed when actually I happen to know what these designations entail and have actually seen the audio spectrograms and waveforms for the material in question myself. When you swap the channels for Movies 1-12 there's no difference at all, but for Movie 13 there is. And the VHS broadcast audio captures don't even have a second channel in the first place.

Not trying to be rude here but if you're going to make wild assumptions like these then what other choice does that leave me with?

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

A redub is not necessary and (most likely) won't happen. For many reasons. Money being the main one. With that said, getting an English redub that is faithful and has nothing to do with Funimation's DB dub(s) would be great. For me at least. But then again, I have never liked the Funimation dubs.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:41 am

No. Not because the old Funimation dub is good, it's absolutely not, but because we're too far separated from the original airings for it to matter anymore. There would be no money in it for Crunchyroll, and with network TV losing viewers each year there wouldn't be much point in broadcasting it since they wouldn't be able to make anything from it going into syndication. Lastly as others have pointed out the "uncut" dub that's on all the DVD's is complete and is still very popular in the states. So much so that I imagine that people would flip if their beloved childhood dub were to be changed. Even though it's been changed twice already with the switch from the Canadian cast to the Texas cast, and again with the Orange Brick DVD dubs.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am

If a redub were necessary every time someone complained about dubbing errors, I think every show would have countless dubs. It's just ridiculous; a redub is only necessary if the first one is lost, damaged, or heavily censored. Dubbing again something already uncut would just be a waste of money.

There are already several English dubs, so there's no need to do it again. If you're unhappy with the dub, you always have the option of subtitled version. Several countries would require a "redub," at least for the countless censorships made to the footage, but English dubs are the last in the world that would require a complete redub as there is already some and uncut.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 am

Joujou wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am If a redub were necessary every time someone complained about dubbing errors, I think every show would have countless dubs. It's just ridiculous; a redub is only necessary if the first one is lost, damaged, or heavily censored. Dubbing again something already uncut would just be a waste of money.
By that logic, the only problem with the Ocean/Funi/Saban dub was the censorship.

Stuff like Bardock being a brilliant scientist? Perfectly fine.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 am
Joujou wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am If a redub were necessary every time someone complained about dubbing errors, I think every show would have countless dubs. It's just ridiculous; a redub is only necessary if the first one is lost, damaged, or heavily censored. Dubbing again something already uncut would just be a waste of money.
By that logic, the only problem with the Ocean/Funi/Saban dub was the censorship.

Stuff like Bardock being a brilliant scientist? Perfectly fine.
Old English dubs also had rescores and different edits/cuts, which is why they had to be dubbed again (like every country should do with Yu-Gi-Oh! 4Kids adapted). So an uncut dub was fine, at least to allow the use of the uncut footage. But if every time something was badly adapted or translated, companies should do a redub, then every dub of everything should be redubbed.

"It's absurd to expect a redub simply because one dislikes a poorly adapted version. Consider the situation from the perspective of the company. The use of heavily edited or cut dubs like the Ocean dub can hinder the release of an uncut version. That's precisely why the Funimation dub was created. Be grateful that a redub was undertaken, allowing access to the unedited version. Otherwise, viewers would be left with either subtitled versions or awkward editing, with music changes between edited and uncut segments.

In many countries, where only a few sentences may be lacking, a redub may not even be considered, despite poor translations like in the French dub."

If you are unhappy with the dub, then switch to the subtitled version like every foreign people are doing with their own dubs