Losing interest in DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Losing interest in DB

Post by Kappa » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm

Deleted message.
Last edited by Kappa on Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Losing interest in Dragon Ball

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

This didnt need a whole thread to itself, and its not in the right section, user related stuff goes elsewhere.

I am dissapointed because this could have been a great general thread for discussing Losing Interest in Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Ditto, the best thing to do if you want to disappear from a site is to just do it, no announcements or anything.
Of course, you can leave a note in the signature or something if you want anyone to know.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm

I noticed in other sites some people are quiting Dragon Ball. Basically they are leaving the forum and no longer interested Dragon Ball anymore.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm I noticed in other sites some people are quiting Dragon Ball. Basically they are leaving the forum and no longer interested Dragon Ball anymore.
I can't blame them. After the great loss we've got last month, then it's understandable that they no longer have any desire or interest to follow the franchise.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm I noticed in other sites some people are quiting Dragon Ball. Basically they are leaving the forum and no longer interested Dragon Ball anymore.
That's not surprising. Kanzenshuu only allows Discussion of Dragon Ball and thus if you dont like Dragon Ball this is not your place. But other sites do have that freedom. I dont think I will ever stop liking Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 pm

That's been happening since 2019, after the Super Anime and Broly Movie ended.

Why are we dancing around the obvious truth? Love it or hate it, the Super Anime generated unprecedented amount of internet traffic around the franchise.

I mean, you can check for yourself the archive of the episode discussion threads and see that a discussion thread would consistently get to 15-20 pages, on top of new threads on a daily basis.

And you will continue to see the activity dwindle until Super gets renewed for a second season.

As for Daima, it remains to be seen if it will hold a candle to Super's popularity and mainstream appeal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 pm That's been happening since 2019, after the Super Anime and Broly Movie ended.
This isn't uniquely relevant to anything. Definitely not to the OP's reasons either.
There's people out there who would still be interested without any new material, and people who wouldn't be interested anymore even with new material.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm

Things change with time, and so it makes sense to not really atay interested in a work in the same way or to the same degrees consistently across our lives. It's okay to just move on.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm

I too thought this thread was going to be about losing some love for Dragon Ball as you grew up and noticed more of its flaws; or maybe something about how now that Toriyama's gone, any new Dragon Ball content seems even more unneeded than it already was. But instead it's a thread announcing that you're leaving Kanzenshuu, which is pretty boring and unnecessary. You're free to leave and never come back without telling anyone, you don't need to explain it. Though I can get losing interest in Dragon Ball, I'm less interested in it now than I was a few years ago. Even though we have the Super manga, Daima, and Sparking Zero, (and SDBH, I guess lmao) I'm just not as invested as I was even when there was less DB content, even if I still love the franchise and check this forum daily.
Go over time and space...

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm

Somehow Dragon Ball is the one interest I have that seems to be an infinite reservoir and I don't know why. There are peaks and valleys in my activity and engagement in the fandom, but even in the pre-BoG dark ages I still had regular involvement and visited/posted here fairly frequently along with probably listening to every podcast episode that's dropped. I will occasionally think about that and it's still a mystery why I've never felt truly burnt out or bored with it.

And... with 98 posts over six years, I doubt anyone would truly notice unless they already know you. That isn't a slight against you, by the way--I'm sure you're a lovely person with scintillating contributions to the Dragon Ball discourse, but I've been here for 17 years (gulp) and have over 1600 posts (though not a particular high number of posts for that amount of time, to be fair) and I would genuinely be surprised if anyone noticed my absence. I'm not an admin, mod, celebrity or podcast guest so I would just presume that I would be forgotten riff-raff. That's just the nature of forums. There's a lot of people that come and go over the years.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 am

Sorry thread starter, but I didn't even know who you were... It's a very normal thing for a lot of people to change interests and what they like. I'm not one of those but my daugther sure is. To me great sadness she went from really liking Dragon Ball -watching all of OG db up to Freeza saga in Z, and reading all the manga- to not wanting me paying her a free ticket to see Super Super Hero in theaters with me. And after Toriyama passed away half into episode 1 of DB she looked away and looked on her phone.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:08 am

We all fall out of things we love now and again, don't feel any shame in it Kappa.

Dragon Ball has been with me too long for me to ever truly lose interest. At times I need to take a break and indulge in other hobbies and interests, but it will never completely go away for me. I'll always be thinking about something related to the franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am

I think it's the lack of stakes in the franchise, + we got an ungodly amount of powerful good guys now, yet no new villains to pose them a threat. Super is currently in a weird state where only Black Frieza is the remaining villain, and even he now spares the good guys instead of killing them, so there's virtually no real danger.

...Which then means there is nothing to discuss about, besides sparring matches between the Z-Fighters and ranking them proper. I'll always have an interest in DB, but you can't deny that having a bunch of new characters and scenarios to speculate about is what helps to keep the discussion going.

Just my own opinion, but I think Granolah was redemeed too soon, and I think that was a mistake. He should have been an anti-hero on his own side, making things interesting whenever he reappears.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:19 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am I think it's the lack of stakes in the franchise, + we got an ungodly amount of powerful good guys now, yet no new villains to pose them a threat. Super is currently in a weird state where only Black Frieza is the remaining villain, and even he now spares the good guys instead of killing them, so there's virtually no real danger.

...Which then means there is nothing to discuss about, besides sparring matches between the Z-Fighters and ranking them proper. I'll always have an interest in DB, but you can't deny that having a bunch of new characters and scenarios to speculate about is what helps to keep the discussion going.

Just my own opinion, but I think Granolah was redemeed too soon, and I think that was a mistake. He should have been an anti-hero on his own side, making things interesting whenever he reappears.
Well, if the argument is "forced and artificial tension", DBZ was by far the worst offender. Considering how both Cell and Majin Buu would have never been a threat if the good guys weren't so unbelievably stupid all of a sudden. I mean, you had 5 people on Earth who could have squashed Semi-Perfect Cell twice, instead some bullshit happened and they let him live, twice. As the Future timeline shows us, one Future Trunks would have been enough to avert the whole Majin Buu mess.

By comparison, Super Villains are way smarter and more accomplished by their own merits, rather than having to rely on the protagonists' unbelievable stupidity to survive.

The problem is more that... well... there are no new villains since 2022. I don't count Cell Max since he's really just a nostalgia-bait monster with no brain or character to speak of.

Super Villains can and do generate unprecedented amount of speculation, we saw it with Black and Zamasu in 2016, Moro in 2019, and the Heeters in 2021.

Do you know what the problem is? It's Frieza. There's nothing original to do with this character, it's just the usual nostalgia pandering/wanking for the Namek saga. I'd trade Frieza for an original villain any day of the week, but then you wouldn't be able to milk the 1990s/Namek saga nostalgia.

What we are missing right now is an ORIGINAL villain. A newly-arrived villain that we know nothing about, like Black in 2016 and Moro in 2019. That invites speculation and tension. Frieza is neither original nor unique, as everything about him was already answered 30 years ago.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am ...Which then means there is nothing to discuss about, besides sparring matches between the Z-Fighters and ranking them proper.
There's plenty to talk about aside from current in-universe stuff. Conversations about whose stronger than who inevitably become tiresome because we can only make educated guesses on these things.

For anyone that explores the behind-the-scenes stuff like various international dubs, broadcasts, even Cure Dragon 255's recent thread about favourite animators was good. Maybe favourite writers, either for the Japanese version or in the rare cases where translators and scriptwriters for dubs are known (I've mentioned the Blue Water ones here).

I think most of the conversations about English language home releases has been overdone until whenever the next one comes out, but maybe more on foreign DVDs and Blu-Rays? Manga releases? I could go on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 am
Xeogran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am ...Which then means there is nothing to discuss about, besides sparring matches between the Z-Fighters and ranking them proper.
There's plenty to talk about aside from current in-universe stuff. Conversations about whose stronger than who inevitably become tiresome because we can only make educated guesses on these things.

For anyone that explores the behind-the-scenes stuff like various international dubs, broadcasts, even Cure Dragon 255's recent thread about favourite animators was good. Maybe favourite writers, either for the Japanese version or in the rare cases where translators and scriptwriters for dubs are known (I've mentioned the Blue Water ones here).

I think most of the conversations about English language home releases has been overdone until whenever the next one comes out, but maybe more on foreign DVDs and Blu-Rays? Manga releases? I could go on.
I agree with the overall premise of this post. I've never found "who could beat who in a fight" post particularly interesting in the first place.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:19 am What we are missing right now is an ORIGINAL villain. A newly-arrived villain that we know nothing about, like Black in 2016 and Moro in 2019. That invites speculation and tension. Frieza is neither original nor unique, as everything about him was already answered 30 years ago.
I agree with this, the only thing they can do with Frieza is to finally show his real planet and race properly, but it seems like a thing they'll never tackle. Original villains definitely generate more interest and discussion, though Heeters were kinda meh in the regard that they were introduced as Frieza's henchmen from get go, 2 of 4 were gag characters, and Elec was just all talk and no bite.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am I agree with the overall premise of this post. I've never found "who could beat who in a fight" post particularly interesting in the first place.
I find conversations that leen more on the narrative significance of a character's strength or transformations more interesting. I don't care to squabble over made up numbers that merely work as a rough guide to how strong a character is at best and don't take strategy into consideration. This is why fights in original Dragon Ball are so great because there's more tactics and less beam spamming.

I also used to wonder, for example is adult Goku stronger than Vegeta in GT because Vegeta never (to our knowledge) attained Super Saiyan 3, but I don't find conversations like that very useful anymore. In more recent years I've come to appreciate more nuanced story-oriented answers and explanations to these things, like Geekdom's idea Vegeta did in fact attain Super Saiyan 3 because it strained his body too much. That's just one case of something we can only speculate on, and after the Z Freeza Arc in terms of "official" confirmation of strength and power we can only rely on Super Saiyan multipliers or Toriyama's comments about Goku being a 6, Beerus being a 10 and Whis being 15, which only applies to those characters and only during the Battle of Gods portion of the story. As such these conversations are eventually going to reach the point they just become guesswork and feel redundant.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:19 am What we are missing right now is an ORIGINAL villain. A newly-arrived villain that we know nothing about, like Black in 2016 and Moro in 2019. That invites speculation and tension. Frieza is neither original nor unique, as everything about him was already answered 30 years ago.
I agree with this, the only thing they can do with Frieza is to finally show his real planet and race properly, but it seems like a thing they'll never tackle. Original villains definitely generate more interest and discussion, though Heeters were kinda meh in the regard that they were introduced as Frieza's henchmen from get go, 2 of 4 were gag characters, and Elec was just all talk and no bite.
Personally, I was way more interested in the Heeters than Granolah. Granolah was not an interesting villain, everything about him was already revealed right at the beginning, while the Heeters remained mysterious (what would they wish for? what is their long-term plan and when they would collide with the main cast?).

That is why I am so sick and tired of Frieza the nostalgia bait always stealing the spotlight from these new villains.

And now we've gone 2 years without any new villain. Isn't it boring to still talk about Frieza after 30 years? Is the Namek saga nostalgia really that strong, that people still want to see Frieza after 30 years? What is so special about this villain, if not nostalgia, that we still need him in the spotlight after 30 years?

I'll agree that the only interesting Heeter was Elec, who was carrying his team in terms of charisma and personality. Still, at least it was a NEW and ORIGINAL villain, instead of Frieza for the 4th time after 30 years.