Classical/Baroque/Romantic/etc-era references in Kikuchi's OST

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Classical/Baroque/Romantic/etc-era references in Kikuchi's OST

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri May 03, 2024 12:09 am

When watching DB (and going through one of the YT playlists gathering each BGM), I was able to pick up on a few works like Beethoven or Chopin popping up in the very early episodes at times for brief sections.

But then later on, you have stuff like M420 which is basically "Ride of the Valkyries". And a fondly remembered DB Movie 2 theme which takes after O Fortuna (Music being 20th Century so not in any of the aforementioned eras).

And recently I just realized that Goku's Movie 4 (Z) theme (M1115, M1304 tipped me off though) is a rework of "In the Hall of the Mountain King", most noticeably the first seven notes of it, and then two notes after it seems like it could have broken into the standard sequence but then it deviates.

In the same movie there was also an organ track likely inspired by Bach (but being more of an improv piece).

Guess most composers of this field will invariably reference what came before them in their own way, and doing that while maintaining their own unique creative DNA is the mark of a true great as well (needless to say, Kikuchi passes).

With that being said, has anyone noticed anything else, in particular from the Z production onwards?