Cowboy Bebop: Unforgiven 2

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Cowboy Bebop: Unforgiven 2

Post by Ben Plante » Mon May 10, 2004 11:00 pm

Has anyone besides me seen the CB music video, put to Metallica's Unforgiven 2? I LOVE that vid, I just discovered it, and was wondering what anyone else thought of it.

EDIT ONE HOUR LATER: Well, no comments, so I'll add what I think. Spoilers ahoy.

First of all, the song is wonderful. Some like Unforgiven better than Unforgiven 2, some like vice-versa. Personally I like 2 better, so there's my opinion on the song.

Truly, the term Unforgiven really does apply to Spike and Julia. They were both members of the Red Dragon, they both committed vile acts, and even when they quit, they continued to commit sins such as murder and the like. Despite their good intentions, they were still killing left and right. Julia died, because the Great Spirit had not forgiven her. Remember when Gren died, and his star fell, rather than disappearing? He was unforgiven, as Bull said. He was not able to make peace with his past. He did not join the Great Spirit. After Julia died, Spike began his path to forgiveness. Based on that cat story he told to Jet, he knew he was going to die. The cat died after living a million lives, then his love died, and the cat stayed dead that time. Spike escaped death so many times throughout the series, by some miracle. But... then his love died, and that was the beginning of the end. He knew he'd be unforgiven for what he'd done, but he could not allow an evil like Vicious to live, so he went in, ready to die, and killed his nemesis. I believe that he expected that he would be dealt the deathblow when he shot Vicious through the heart as well. Now, here's the irony. Spike fell and died, but after the credits, his star did not fall. It just faded away. He joined the Great Spirit. He... was forgiven. He accepted his destiny, and earned his forgiveness. I believe that is what the video was trying to say.

Oh, not necessary related to the video, but Spike's final word, 'Bang'... to me, that was a symbol that he was a fighter, a killer, a hunter... all the way to his death.

That's all.

Thoughts?
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 11, 2004 2:45 am

Good analysis, but Julia wasn't really a member of the Red Dragons. She was Vicious' girlfriend, but then she met Spike, they fell in love and she was cheating with him on Vicious. That's why there was so much bitterness between Vicious and Spike. They were best friends and then Spike betrayed him with Julia. Spike then wanted out of the Red Dragons and wanted Julia to come with him, but Vicious blackmailed her, she didn't meet up with him, and then Vicious tried to have him killed. He miracously got away and Julia disappeared on her own. He spent the rest of his time alive trying to find her, living he felt, on borrowed time.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Tue May 11, 2004 2:52 am

Really? I always assumed Julia was a Red Dragon because of her proficiency in fighting. I don't recall them ever saying whether she was or was not a member.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 11, 2004 2:58 am

I think that she was experienced in fighting because of the circles that she ran with, but I'm pretty sure she was never an "official" member of the Red Dragons. It would be an interesting thing to look into though.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Tue May 11, 2004 3:03 am

Meh, I'm not sure it's meant to be looked into. Cowboy Bebop is ultimately left up to specific interpretation I think.

Hey... In Faye's last scene, when she was upset that Spike was going off to die... she had what I think was a six-shooter. She angrily shot five bullets into the air however, not six. Are we supposed to think she was... saving one?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 11, 2004 3:26 am

No idea, my friend. One thing I do know was that there were no romantic feelings between Spike and Faye, despite what a lot of foolish people want to think. It was a "sibling-type" relationship, nothing more. And I think you could debate about a lot of things in Cowboy Bebop, until you were blue in the face, and still never no for certain. You're right about a large portion of it being interpretive. It's just that kind of a series. :)

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Tue May 11, 2004 3:30 am

You're right about a large portion of it being interpretive. It's just that kind of a series.
Which is what I love about it. :-)