What version of Super DBZ would you recommend??

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Berserk

What version of Super DBZ would you recommend??

Post by Berserk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 am

Well I dont speak or understand or read JP so thats the biggest disatvantage, but at the same time I'm getting it completely original like I would have liked too if I buy the JP version, and the only big advantage to the american port is I understand it, so my question: Is Super DBZ simple enough play with out understanding JP or am I screwed and better get the NA verison?? cause I'm one of those competitive fighting people, I play Tekken, and SF at tournements all the time and was wondering am I screwed if I buy the JP cause I really hated how Atari edited the game, and as a purist DB fan I like my DB untouched and original but on the other hand I want to be able to actually want to understand how to kick some a$$ in the game.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:40 am

Question: How *DID* they change the game?

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:42 am

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 am

It doesn't seem too bad to me; but I am a dubbie.

So, if you must get it unchanged, I say go with the PAL and get around the region locking with some sort of hack.

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:56 am

bkev wrote:It doesn't seem too bad to me; but I am a dubbie.

So, if you must get it unchanged, I say go with the PAL and get around the region locking with some sort of hack.
Well the PAL verison still is no better than the NA release, thats why I asked about the JP verison

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:57 am

The PAL, according to the article you sent to me, has the Japanese voices AND cha-la. SO, what are you talking about?

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 am

bkev wrote:The PAL, according to the article you sent to me, has the Japanese voices AND cha-la. SO, what are you talking about?
you obvioulsy didnt read close enough the only thing different is the VO which are JP, but everything else is the same

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 am

English version, you can read what is going on, you won't watch the intro because it is crappy quality and the minimal amount of voicework is forgetable.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:12 am

People complain about the tiniest things. :?

First of all, the VA work in SDBZ is so minimal you'll amost not even notice it. Secondly... the 2005 Cha-la is.... bad, so no loss there.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:29 am

Buy the english version, you can understand what is going on, Cha-la and no Japanise is okay to lose for knowing how to play the game.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Berserk wrote:
bkev wrote:The PAL, according to the article you sent to me, has the Japanese voices AND cha-la. SO, what are you talking about?
you obvioulsy didnt read close enough the only thing different is the VO which are JP, but everything else is the same
So what? So the text in the manga style boxes that pop up are in English instead of Japanese and they changed the opening song. Why's that such a big deal?
­

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Aside from the intro, is the music altered in the English version?

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:24 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Aside from the intro, is the music altered in the English version?

-Corey
Not that I know of. If it were, it'd clearly be brought up by now. Wiki hasn't said anything of this.
14 years later

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Xyex wrote:The 2005 Cha-la is.... bad, so no loss there.
:shock: Blasphemy!!!

Ahem, well I believe I answered this question a looong while back. The only differences include, the refreshing HEAD-CHA-LA 2005 intro music, the JPN voice overs, & the Special Enemy BGM which plays when you engage against a customized enemy in the arcade mode. It's like a remix of one the Freeza Saga pieces done by Kikuchi for the series. I believe Mike brought this up in one of his podcasts as well. Overall, the game is what matters most, so there's really not much of a significant loss, but a loss none the less. It's just matter of you willing to cough up about $100 or more just to play the JPN version.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:21 pm

Going off the main page, I'd have to recommend the ultra-cheap Japanese version that's on sale at Play Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40- ... -16sm.html

-Corey

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Going off the main page, I'd have to recommend the ultra-cheap Japanese version that's on sale at Play Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40- ... -16sm.html

-Corey
Yes but to play it he'd need to get swap magic, which cost about $30, and if he had a slim PS2 he'd need to buy something extra for it. I'd go for the UK version, but that's just me.
­

dasmith
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dasmith » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 pm

Hey, I've got a question.

If I recall correctly, the GH release of Budokai 3 contained a few nice items that the original domestic release didn't have, such as the ability to select the Japanese vocal track.

If I read wikipedia correctly, these features were taken from a European "Collector's Edition" that basically included extras that the Japanese added in to their release after they brought the game over from America.

Should we expect to see things like the Japanese voice track and maybe a different opening on a GH release of Super Dragonball Z? (I'd like to buy the game, but I don't want to see a GH release with the Japanese track come out a week after I buy it..)

-Derek

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:45 pm

dasmith wrote:Hey, I've got a question.

If I recall correctly, the GH release of Budokai 3 contained a few nice items that the original domestic release didn't have, such as the ability to select the Japanese vocal track.

If I read wikipedia correctly, these features were taken from a European "Collector's Edition" that basically included extras that the Japanese added in to their release after they brought the game over from America.

Should we expect to see things like the Japanese voice track and maybe a different opening on a GH release of Super Dragonball Z? (I'd like to buy the game, but I don't want to see a GH release with the Japanese track come out a week after I buy it..)

-Derek
That's if we get a Greatest Hits release. Aside from this forum everyone else I talk to bashes the game to bits for no having a lot of characters. I, myself, balked at it at first when i saw it only had a total of eighteen fighters.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:01 am

I would've thought Greatest Hits would've been released already considering the fact it's been out for about two years already.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:05 am

Mystic Jack wrote:I would've thought Greatest Hits would've been released already considering the fact it's been out for about two years already.
...June/July of 2006 was two years ago?

SHIT, MY WORK DAY WAS LONGER THAN I THOUGHT! >_<;;

:P

-Corey