A couple questions...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PinkFloydLedZeppelin

A couple questions...

Post by PinkFloydLedZeppelin » Fri May 21, 2004 8:18 pm

I don't think these are very good questions, but they were on my mind:

In the Bardock special, Bardock forseen Gokou destroying Furiza, but Gokou didn't, Trunks did... you get my point.

Does Gokou and/or Kurririn ever find out that Jackie Chun was actually Roshi?

(This is for opinions) Don't you think it's kind of dumb about the SSJ legend only happening every thousand years, and not even all the elite Sayia-jins go SSJ, but later in DBZ kids who are like 7 who can't even fly are reaching this level? (Another version of this question is: Do you think Toryama should've allowed Trunks and Goten to become SSJ at such a young age?)

How did Vegita learn to read power levels without a scouter on earth? How did he pick that technique up?

How come it took Nappa so long to fight the Z Soldiers, it should've taken him less than a minute, right?

There are my questions... thanks for your time! :D
New age music sucks (i.e. Good Charlotte, Tool, Simple Plan, Eminem, etc...)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri May 21, 2004 8:47 pm

Your grammar hurts my brain. When that happens, EX kills the source of the pain so be careful for future posts.
In the Bardock special, Bardock forseen Goku destroying Furiza, but Goku didn't, Trunks did... you get my point.
No I don't actually. O_o Bardock saw the future because of what happened to him on Kanassa. Goku didn't because he can't see the future. Trunks didn't see the future, Freeza's death happened 2-3 years before his birth.
Does Goku and/or Kurririn ever find out that Jackie Chun was actually Roshi?
Nope. Only Tenshinhan thanks to Tsuru-senin.
(This is for opinions) Don't you think it's kind of dumb about the SSJ legend only happening every thousand years, and not even all the elite Sayia-jins go SSJ, but later in DBZ kids who are like 7 who can't even fly are reaching this level? (Another version of this question is: Do you think Toryama should've allowed Trunks and Goten to become SSJ at such a young age?)
It's possible that they were playing "catch up" with their dads. Only Goten didn't know how to fly. Note that whatever sparked the legend was a solitary Super Saiyan amongst saiyans all with PLs under 18,000. When Goten and Trunks are born, Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are the three most powerful beings in existence, all of which can go at least SSJ.
How did Vegita learn to read power levels without a scouter on earth? How did he pick that technique up?
Through observation of the fighters. He's just a super-skilled fighter, and picked up the technique as a result of analyzing how they were fighting. Note that at that point elite strength fighters were just "blips on his psychic radar". He just knew that people were nearby, not exactly how strong they were or precisely where they were. He developped the skill more on Namek as time progressed.
How come it took Nappa so long to fight the Z Soldiers, it should've taken him less than a minute, right?
Yup, but Nappa's a fuck. That was his version of playing.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A couple questions...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri May 21, 2004 9:20 pm

PinkFloydLedZeppelin wrote:In the Bardock special, Bardock forseen Goku destroying Furiza, but Goku didn't, Trunks did... you get my point.
I'm not really sure that Bardock foresaw Goku killing Freeza, probably just defeating him. But remember Toriyama had originally designed for the series to end with the defeat of Freeza, he didn't think ahead (or backwards in this case)
Dumb? Maybe...a lot of people had a problem with this; you could argue that because of their extraordinary Saiyan DNA, and that they were both half human (a definate advantage over pure bloods). But it really boils down to that they would be necessary later on, and had to be up to that level to begin with.
As I recall, he seemed to first learn how on planet Namek, as a result of fighting on Earth. I think back then Vegeta had some uncanny ability to perform anything he had seen. (Like re-creating a Kienzen "Destructo" disc) That skill kinda just faded after the Freeza saga though.
He very well could've, but he was playing around most of the fight. He allowed them to attack him first, and fought individually. Also a few times he held back, since they didn't want to kill Piccolo for the dragonballs, and they were going to use Gohan for black mail.
There are my questions... thanks for your time! :D
You're welcome. :wink:

SSJHitch
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJHitch » Sat May 22, 2004 8:12 am

PinkFloydLedZeppelin wrote:In the Bardock special, Bardock forseen Goku destroying Furiza, but Goku didn't, Trunks did... you get my point.
To explain this to fit into the storyline: at this time Cell hadn't travelled back in time and altered history. So the future that Bardock forsaw of Goku killing Freeza was correct. It was only when Cell came back in time that history was altered and Freeza survived on Namek.

Of cource what Deus ex Machina said is the real reason :wink:
Treading the thin line between insanity and genius

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 22, 2004 10:21 am

To add to that, Bardock's visions were only supposed to relate to how his people were doomed. Since Freeza was the cause of this doom, it would suck ass if he saw SUPER SAIYAN Goku sacrifice himself to fat-assed-bomb Cell and SUPER SAIYAN TWO Majin Vegeta sacrifice himself to fat Boo. Not only are we giving away major spoilers here, but it doesn't tie in with how Freeza is the result of the demise of the Saiyan race anymore.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 22, 2004 10:23 am

Didn't Cell travel back to a time before Goku fought Freeza on Namek?

That argument can be raised regarding almost 99% of the fights over the course of the series. Thank god Saiyans love to play around when fighting, otherwise some of the stuff would be a bit unbelievable. Eh? Eh?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 22, 2004 10:34 am

Nope. Cell arrived in 763. On december 24th, 762, Goku became SSJ and defeated Freeza.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat May 22, 2004 10:53 am

Its really hard to believe that a good chunk of the Freeza saga took place in one day. Dayspring, it does say that Cell arrived a year later, but how long after that does it say Trunks arrived?
Last edited by Sun_Wukong on Sat May 22, 2004 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 22, 2004 10:54 am

It's not as ridiculous as the Buu saga, which ALL takes place in one day. Or possibly two. I forget.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat May 22, 2004 10:58 am

Well considering from the tournament untill Goku leaves is at least one day, we can only assume that the rest took place in a matter of two or three days.

On another note, didnt the entire Cell Games take place in less than one day?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 am

What about when Piccolo and the others were fighting the Saibamen/Nappa? Goku left King Kai's two days before he got to Earth and had been traveling maybe a day by the time they got there, so that battle took a day (of course, there was the three hour break)...

And a part of Namek only took a day? Maybe the Frieza fight from the start with Vegeta until the very end but I don't see much else taking only a single day...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 22, 2004 2:21 pm

From the arrival of Bulma+co on Namek to when Goku defeats Freeza takes place between december 18-24 of december.
On another note, didnt the entire Cell Games take place in less than one day?
Unless you're watching the anime where every single insignificant action is stretched into four and a half episodes, the Cell Games only took place over a few hours at most.
It's not as ridiculous as the Buu saga, which ALL takes place in one day. Or possibly two.
Two days, which makes no sense. Didn't Satan spend like a week with fat Boo?
Dayspring, it does say that Cell arrived a year later, but how long after that does it say Trunks arrived?
I was quoting the daizenshuu when I said that. I'm not sure what was said concerning Cell's arrival in the manga, but didn't Trunks say it was a year before HE defeated Freeza? (In which case it's true because Trunks fought Freeza in "A day in august", 764, whereas Cell is 763)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 22, 2004 7:15 pm

About the Goku killing Freeza thing:

1: Bardock sees Goku killing Freeza.
2: Goku defeats Freeza.
3: Freeza survives, and goes to Earth with Kold to kill everyone.
4: Goku teleports to Earth and kills Freeza and Kold.
5: Goku dies.
6: The jinzoningen kills everybody.
7: Trunks goes back in time, and history is rewritten from 3 and up.

So yes, Goku DID kill Freeza.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat May 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Dayspring, it does say that Cell arrived a year later, but how long after that does it say Trunks arrived?
I was quoting the daizenshuu when I said that. I'm not sure what was said concerning Cell's arrival in the manga, but didn't Trunks say it was a year before HE defeated Freeza? (In which case it's true because Trunks fought Freeza in "A day in august", 764, whereas Cell is 763)
Hmmm, I'd thought only a year had passed between Frieza's defeat on Namek and his death on Earth.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun May 23, 2004 4:07 am

Adamant wrote:About the Goku killing Freeza thing:

Bardock doesn't see Goku killing Freeza, he just sees Goku going up against him on an alien planet sometime in the future.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun May 23, 2004 4:16 pm

PinkFloydLedZeppelin wrote:How did Vegita learn to read power levels without a scouter on earth? How did he pick that technique up?
He learned to sense ki during the battle on Earth, from watching Kuririn and the others doing it. He also learned to suppress his ki at the same time, so he could hide from Freeza's Scouters.

But the weird thing is, Vegeta always refers to it as Sentouryoku ("Battle Power", the Japanese term for "Power Level") throughout the whole series.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 23, 2004 4:31 pm

That'll be a character quirk, surely. Ki pretty much means "energy" (not exactly, I know, but it's close enough). That's far too wishy-washy and new-age for Vegeta, so he gives it a Dramatic Manly Name. Grrr.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:57 pm

Adamant wrote:About the Goku killing Freeza thing:

2: Goku defeats Freeza.
3: Freeza survives, and goes to Earth with Kold to kill everyone.
4: Goku teleports to Earth and kills Freeza and Kold.
5: Goku dies.
6: The jinzoningen kills everybody.
7: Trunks goes back in time, and history is rewritten from 3 and up.

So yes, Goku DID kill Freeza.
I don't think that's quite how it happens. I'll quote Trunks and Goku's conversation from DBZ Book #12:
Goku: I want to thank you... For defeating Freeza and his men. I was too soft on him... I should've finished him on Planet Namek.
Trunks: You were meant to defeat him, but for some reason there was a time discrepancy, and you couldn't. So I had to intervene.
To me, that says that Goku defeats Freeza on Namek, but I could be wrong. Also, Goku never learns Teleportation (known as "Instant Translocation" in the Ocean dub and "Instant Transmission" in the FUNi dub) in Trunks' timeline, as Trunks is shocked when he heard Goku tell him about the move, and I doubt it's something Bulma or Gohan would have left out when they told Trunks about Goku. But again, I could be wrong.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:36 pm

On december 24th, 762, Goku became SSJ and defeated Freeza.
Nice Christmas present :p

And Goku DOES end up finally defeating Frieza! In GT! (ducks fruit and wine bottles)
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:40 am

But Gohan destroyed his SOUL in movie 12, and if a soul dies you're dead for good!!