"Factoids" Section... Any Ideas?

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:54 pm

People who get into debates over whether the Enterprise-D could beat an Imperial Star Destroyer. They should be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:57 pm

Hear, hear! Umm, have you killed any of them personally Psy?

Claytron

Post by Claytron » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:11 pm

I'm a bit late with my suggestions, it seems, but here are a couple:

- Short list of all known winners of the Tenka'ichi Budokai. Sure, there are the ones who we've *seen* win (Kame-Sen'nin, Tenshinhan, Goku, Mr. Satan), but what about before those? King Chappa won it once before, The Devil (Uranai Baba's fighter) won it twice before, and I thought there was another instance of hearing about a past winner.... maybe not?

and,

- Longest non-original animation flashback. That is, you wouldn't include, say, Kaio-shin's retelling of the origin of Majin Buu, since that's new material. I'm leaning towards an instance such as just before Freeza fires his final blast at Goku (when Goku returns the blast and seemingly kills Freeza), he goes into nearly EIGHT MINUTES of a filler flashback. That might actually be the longest, I'm not certain...

Well, just thought I'd throw these into the pool ^_^

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:37 pm

Good stuff. I especially like the Budokai winners idea. But seriously, just get Toriyama drunk and have him make up "official info" off the top of his head.

Toriyama: And for the... uhm... *hic* 9TH budokai... what's your name?
Zackarotto: It's Zackarotto, sir.
Toriyama: Sounds familiar... anyway, yeah! Zackarotto was the winner of the 9th!
Zackarotto: Alright! Can I have your autograph?
Toriyama: No.

Thus ending another episode of Zackarotto Theater. I'll say it again, though. Good ideas.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:45 pm

PsyLiam wrote:What about if, say, you believed that the operation actually did kill them, and all that remained afterwards were creatures that looked, sounded, and acted like them, but didn't contain their soles? Like, say, the vampires on Buffy?
If the operations performed on the twins managed to kill them, they as people, as humans, would be dead - sort of obvious. If Gero created two new beings in their image, I would say they are definitely androids. But I think the question you're getting at is what if Gero used that now-dead tissue of the twins to create 17 and 18? To me, if a person died and someone used their organic tissue as parts to build a new person, I would consider them an android. The human part of them is dead, the soul is gone, and all that's left is the once-living tissue. In the Terminator, they wrongly call Arnold a cyborg, citing that it's a metal skeleton with living tissue over top. But how is that a cyborg when it was never human? It was never enhanced? The living tissue was man-made, genetically engineered. If Gero had done something crazy like save and sustain their organs and skin and all that shit right after they had accidently died, and then used technology to bring them back to life, I would probably consider them cyborgs...cause afterall, isn't that what they did to the 6 Million Dollar Man (I'm not sure, never saw the show at length)? BUT, if he's just gonna save parts of their bodies to go towards making a new being in their image, definitely I'd consider it an android.
PsyLiam wrote: Or that episode of DS9 where Bashir replaces Vedek Bariall's (sp?) brain with positronic parts?
I've never seen much at all of DS9 (cause I'm basically new to Star Trek and only really watch TNG on Spike, thanks to my boyfriend). In this case of someone's brain being replaced by something to act in its place, that person would be considered a cyborg. The brain is kind of a serious organ, but if it can be replaced with a prosthetic brain, so to speak, it seems no different than someone receiving a prosthetic arm, you know? However, there are probably a few circumstances to this situation I'm missing since I haven't seen the episode.
PsyLiam wrote: (edit) On the other hand, I've just looked at your site, and now want to run away and hide before you attack me with more well-researched facts.

Or at least I did, until I read the line "while Seven of Nine from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine reminds me of Number 18 simply because she is a cyborg". I mean, if you can mistake the best Star Trek show for the worst one, then obviously I automatically win all arguments against you ever. Nyah.
Sorry, my friend! I didn't know I still had some mistakes with 7of9 on my sites! :oops: Trust me, I've already been highly scolded more than once for confusing the two shows. I have a sprite of 7of9 on my personal site, and had the same mistake there that I had to fix. Like I said before, I never have really seen DS9 OR Voyager cause I really wasn't into the Star Trek universe until my boyfriend and I started watching TNG every night on the superstation! And the boyfriend thinks DS9 and Voyager aren't as good as TNG so when they come on, he never wants to watch them, which annoys the crap out of me cause I want to see more 7of9! ;-;
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:40 pm

#18: Don't let yur boyfriend stop you. Watch the two shows! Despite what people say, I liked Voyager. Seven of Nine is a great character and there are such strong female characters in the series, DS9 has good female characters too though. I also love the Doctor, my favourite character in Voyager hands down. I do prefer DS9 though, except for the final season, where the show became crap. Especially don't let him tell you DS9 isn't as good. There are some that argue it's better then TNG. 8)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:08 pm

Woo! Girl power!

...I'm going to go burn trekkies and cut things. Bye, Trekkie ladies!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:45 pm

I really wasn't into the Star Trek universe until my boyfriend and I started watching TNG every night on the superstation!
W00t~~! Star Trek TNG ROCKS!! Lucutus, baby! Yeah! :D
I bought 60 episodes for $30 a year or two ago on VHS (some charity sale. Used but mint/near mint at 50 cents per video!). DS9 is great if you like Star Trek ship battles as about 4/5 of it is intergalactic war. Voyager is classic Trek only CGI effects, better character development and acting, with the Borg thrown in at random intervels. Unfortunetly the later seasons came out after movie 8 so they deal w/the Borg Queen. :?
People who get into debates over whether the Enterprise-D could beat an Imperial Star Destroyer. They should be eliminated with extreme prejudice.
I know! EVERYBODY who's anybody knows the Enterprise would win! Now, the Enterprise-D Refit from "All Good Things..." vs the Death Star... Now THAT's a debate! :D

...Why are you all looking at me like that? :P ( :wink: )
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:30 pm

Dayspring wrote:

W00t~~! Star Trek TNG ROCKS!! Lucutus, baby! Yeah! :D
I bought 60 episodes for $30 a year or two ago on VHS (some charity sale. Used but mint/near mint at 50 cents per video!). DS9 is great if you like Star Trek ship battles as about 4/5 of it is intergalactic war. Voyager is classic Trek only CGI effects, better character development and acting, with the Borg thrown in at random intervels. Unfortunetly the later seasons came out after movie 8 so they deal w/the Borg Queen. :?
Locutus. It's latin. And never do that "...baby! Yeah!" thing again, or I will kill you.

The war doesn't start until season the end of season 5, so, it's about 2/7 intergalactic war. And I was going to continue, but I got to the part where you said that Voyager had better character development and acting than DS9. And I stared, confused, trying to remember any character development in Voyager at all (aside from a bit for Seven, and a bit for the doctor).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:48 pm

I was saying Voyager had better acting than '60s Trek. Personally I only liked Sisko's actor, Dax (the one who left to be Becker's Bitch on CBS for 2 seasons before getting fired) and Worf(sp). But that last one doesn't count because he's originally from TNG. :P
Same goes for character building. Voyager didn't have a consistant plot like DS9 (it was more ep-by-ep like TNG) so it's character building was ok considering.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:44 pm

I dunno. Was Tuvok any different in season 7 than he was in season 1? Was Harry? Chakotay actually managed to get less character as time went on, which was pretty amazing.

Compare that to, say, Bashir, who changed completely from uppity, arrogant bastard in season 1 to mature, understanding adult in season 7. Or Odo, who was an oustanding character brilliantly acted. And, well, almost everyone else. It's recurring characters were more interesting than the majority of people in Voyager and the FUCKING BASTARD downstairs has just started to play music, at 3:45 in the morning! Fucking fuckity fucker.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:01 am

No way Dayspring! DS9 is still much superior to Voyager. Actually concerning your remark about Chakotay Liam, I heard that around the time that Seven came in, because there were so many episodes with Janeway and Seven of Nine, that Robert Beltran(Chakotay), I think actually went to the production staff and told them if they were just going to continue having him in one minute-long scene on the bridge saying to raise shields that could the writers just kill him off and be done with it. And Dayspring, how could you not consider Kira and Odo memorable characters? That bland wouldn't-stand-out-if-she-glowed-in-the-dark Ezri definitely, but Kira and Odo? Come on!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:12 am

Kira = meh. I'll admit I forgot Odo. He was cool on meth. How could I forget him?! If not for Odo the Dominion would have won the war! Stupid, stupid me. I dunno. I just find once DS9 started getting interesting it totally lost it's Trek feel. A Federation Ship with a cloaking device?! C'mon!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:29 am

What?! The Defiant was cool! Besides, Sisko always was flying in the Federation's face like that. Oh, and I forgot to mention my favourite character Garik, best spy you couldn't trust around! There was some much to his character. You always wanted to know more.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:44 am

WAAAAAAAAY off topic here...

Special thread for discussing a possible "Factoids" section, please ^^;;
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:12 am

Sorry EX! :oops: I've actually thought of something else that might be interesting and that's perhaps a section on maybe interesting dates of when things concerning DB happened in Japan. Such as the date the anime started and ended, how many video games were made, just stupid stuff like that to do with the popularity of DB in Japan. You could also include things in America too if you wanted, or even maybe interesting bits of fandom in other countries too. Just a thought. :)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:37 am

Hey, that doesn't sound half bad. Can't some of that be covered in the newbie guide, though?