DBZ dub actors voicing differently

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

DBZ dub actors voicing differently

Post by Super Sonic » Thu May 27, 2004 8:47 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the dub actors for some characters did not do the voice for certain other characters that their Japanese counterparts did? For example, you know how the original version did like the manga's mentioning of Krillin and Yajirobe sounding similar? We know the dub didn't follow suit, but I think that's ok. I really couldn't picture either Mr. Strait or Mr. Klaasen doing Yajirobe, nor could I picture Mr. Drummond or Mr. McFarland doing Krillin. Also although I love her Genkai, I'm glad Ms. Young didn't do Tambourine's voice.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 27, 2004 8:51 pm

Where-as Mayumi Tanaka did Kuririn and Yajirobe, Brian Drummond originally did Vegeta and Yajirobe in the original FUNi/Ocean dub.

Drummond's Yajirobe was one of the greatest voices on the face of the planet.

But yeah, it's interesting. One of the biggest things in the dub world I was hoping is that Johnny Yong Bosch got the role of Ii-chan in Angelic Layer (Vash <--> Ii-Chan, Masaya Onosaka). Would have been such a perfect fit. Alas, I believe it's an entirely different voice group (ADV's in-house, or something).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu May 27, 2004 10:15 pm

I believe it's often been said that Johnson's Trunks is the closest to the original Japanese type of voice. And everyone loves him.

Whereas, say, Sonny Strait sounds nothing like the original Kuririn. I do agree with Mike with respect to him...the voice was horrible at first, but after a while, it was far, far better than anything Klassen ever did.

And some of the voice choices come from the fact that the actors were hired to voice "adult" characters (in the case of Goku and Kuririn, especially), so they are bound to conflict with voices chosen for children.

(And who is FUNi's voice for VA Kuririn anyway?)
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 28, 2004 3:21 am

If you're talking about young Krillin, I believe that Lori Steele does his voice. I couldn't picture her doing Yajirobe either.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri May 28, 2004 8:38 am

VegettoEX wrote:One of the biggest things in the dub world I was hoping is that Johnny Yong Bosch got the role of Ii-chan in Angelic Layer (Vash <--> Ii-Chan, Masaya Onosaka). Would have been such a perfect fit. Alas, I believe it's an entirely different voice group (ADV's in-house, or something).
Ah, that'd be good. Kinda in the same way that they hired the same person to play both Ranma and Inu Yasha in the series' respective dubs (since Ranma <--> Inu-Yasha, Kappei Yamaguchi). Now if they could just get that guy to play Usopp in a future dub of One Piece... :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri May 28, 2004 11:02 am

You mean Richard Cox? He actually wasn't always the dub VA for Ranma. He replaced the original actress Sarah Strange, around the fourth or fifth season.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 28, 2004 11:55 am

I liked the first dub Ranma best :/

Then again, I've only seen the first two seasons, and little tiny bits and pieces of later stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri May 28, 2004 1:43 pm

Okay, I've never seen Ramna at all, but they replaced a female with a male? Isn't that odd? (And did the same person do both Ramna's male and female voices?)

Does Lori Steele do any other FUNi voices? I get a bit hazy around the Buu saga.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri May 28, 2004 1:54 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Okay, I've never seen Ramna at all, but they replaced a female with a male? Isn't that odd? (And did the same person do both Ramna's male and female voices?)

Does Lori Steele do any other FUNi voices? I get a bit hazy around the Buu saga.
Ahhh, I miss Sarah Strange. She was a much better male Ranma than Richard Cox (although I do like him too, even though his Ranma/Inu Yasha/Quicksilver from X-Men Evolution all sound alike).

No, two different people voiced male and female Ranma. Venus Terzo (sp?) did the voice of girl-type Ranma (although another woman voiced her for the first few episodes, but I don't remember her name).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 28, 2004 2:44 pm

I've only seen the first season of Ranma, though I've read up to vol. 23 of the manga. Anyways, at first time watching I couldn't tell that he was voiced by a woman, though that goes for most English dubs and American cartoons whenever a woman does a male character, unless you hear bits of the actress' other characters in the voice.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri May 28, 2004 3:07 pm

Out of curiousity, did Sarah also do Ranma in the movies? I knowe his voice there was different from Cox's... Either way, I liked it more than his series movie. It seems more natural. *has the ending for movie 2 playing in his head*

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri May 28, 2004 3:32 pm

B-kun wrote:Out of curiousity, did Sarah also do Ranma in the movies? I knowe his voice there was different from Cox's... Either way, I liked it more than his series movie. It seems more natural. *has the ending for movie 2 playing in his head*
Yeah, Sarah played Ranma in all the OVAs and movies. I don't think Richard Cox started until season 4 or 5, and by that point, the movies and OVAs had long since been dubbed.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri May 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Ah, thought as much. In that case, I prefer her over Richard (BTW, all I've seen of the anime Ranma is the movies (which I rented and kind of forgot to take back to the store. ^^; It's under new management now so I'm not sure it'd even matter anymore) and a couple Ranma Forever DVDs, in which the later cast voices the characters, though I've read a good chunk of the manga).

Wait, what were we talking about again? :?:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri May 28, 2004 4:01 pm

Meri wrote:Venus Terzo (sp?) did the voice of girl-type Ranma (although another woman voiced her for the first few episodes, but I don't remember her name).
Isn't that Blackarachnia? Amy?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri May 28, 2004 8:54 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Does Lori Steele do any other FUNi voices? I get a bit hazy around the Buu saga.
Are you talking about Chibi Krillin? Cause doesnt Sonny Strait voice adult Krillin?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri May 28, 2004 9:20 pm

PsyLiam wrote:
Meri wrote:Venus Terzo (sp?) did the voice of girl-type Ranma (although another woman voiced her for the first few episodes, but I don't remember her name).
Isn't that Blackarachnia? Amy?
Yes indeed it is. And she did quite a good job as female Ranma I think. Of course I still prefer Kappei Yamaguchi and Megumi Hayashibara as Ranma, but the dub I don't mind, plus David Kaye's Soun was hilarious to me. :lol: Here's a little interesting fact to get back on the topic of DB, Kuno's Japanese VA was Hirotaka Suzuoki, who was Tenshinhan and Ukyo's Japanese VA was none other than Hiromi Tsuru a.k.a Buruma. 8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri May 28, 2004 10:21 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
PsyLiam wrote:Does Lori Steele do any other FUNi voices? I get a bit hazy around the Buu saga.
Are you talking about Chibi Krillin? Cause doesnt Sonny Strait voice adult Krillin?
Yeah, I know. I just didn't know who did Chibi Kuririn. To be honest, I thought it was a guy, and now I'm worried about the amount Lori Steele smokes.

I'm just curious if she does any other voices, like Goten and Trunks, since I'm not really familiar with the FUNi voices for those two.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 28, 2004 11:45 pm

Goten's voice is done by Kara Edwards, who also does Videl. Little Trunks is done by Laura Bailey who does the voice of Keiko Yukimura on YYH.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sat May 29, 2004 10:35 am

PsyLiam wrote:I believe it's often been said that Johnson's Trunks is the closest to the original Japanese type of voice. And everyone loves him.
I actually believe Brad Swalie's Gohan is the closest Japanese counterpart, without getting a Michael Jackson-esque voice to do the part.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 29, 2004 3:52 pm

Is he the Ocean Gohan? I do like his voice, and it does sound a lot like Morrow's Goku (which makes sense from the Japanese voices POV).

FUNi's Gohan is Damon Clarke, isn't it? And everyone seems to love him too. How comes adult Gohan gets all the good voices?