Z Fighters' Knowledge of King Cold

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Z Fighters' Knowledge of King Cold

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 pm

When King Cold and Freeza show up on Earth, everyone immediately notices Freeza's Ki, but nobody even mentions his dad. However, if memory serves right, Gohan lists him as one of the people that Cell's cells are made of. So my question is: when were the Z Fighters made aware of King Cold? From their perspective, I would have thought of him as just another fighter on Freeza's ship. Then again, I guess they could have found out through Trunks on their down time (which they seem to have a lot of around that time with the long periods of training as well as watching for Cell on TV).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Z Fighters' Knowledge of King Cold

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:22 pm

'Looks like you just answered your own question.
Trunks knew who Cold was (either from what he was told in his own timeline, or from what he heard right before killing both father and son himself).
No big mystery, here.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:44 am

If my memory serves me correctly, I think when Krillin calls Gohan on the telephone or some time before they actually go to see Freeza and King Cold, he says that there are two huge powers, rather than just Freeza's..but I'm not exactly sure.

Someone check this out please..lol ^_^"

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:10 am

In the anime, Vegeta notices Freeza's ki on the way there, but also notices another source of energy, even greater than Freeza and wonders what's going on.

According to this, the Z-fighters knew there was someone with an energy level even higher than Freeza's. A bit off-topic perhaps, but this indicates that Cold, in his second form, is stronger than the final, mecha-pimped version of Freeza. Cold must really be strong in his final form.

On-topic, I agree with Olivier Hague. Trunks knew about Cold and probably filled everyone in eventually.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 am

Terra-jin wrote:In the anime, Vegeta notices Freeza's ki on the way there, but also notices another source of energy, even greater than Freeza and wonders what's going on.

According to this, the Z-fighters knew there was someone with an energy level even higher than Freeza's. A bit off-topic perhaps, but this indicates that Cold, in his second form, is stronger than the final, mecha-pimped version of Freeza. Cold must really be strong in his final form.

On-topic, I agree with Olivier Hague. Trunks knew about Cold and probably filled everyone in eventually.
In the manga Tenshinhan mentions 'He's not alone! There's an even greater Ki!'.

At least I think, the frame I've seen was fan-translated.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Terra-jin wrote:In the anime, Vegeta notices Freeza's ki on the way there, but also notices another source of energy, even greater than Freeza and wonders what's going on.

I always figured that this was due to Freeza not powering up all the way while he's just chilling in his spaceship.

Doesn't Vegeta Know who Cold is? If he did wouldn't he may have let it slip somewhere who Cold was? Also, didn't Freeza himself refer to Cold as "Father"? Couldn't someone have here him?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:26 pm

I always figured that this was due to Freeza not powering up all the way while he's just chilling in his spaceship.
So is Cold.

DaemonCorps

Re: Z Fighters' Knowledge of King Cold

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:'Looks like you just answered your own question.
Well, I always like to try my own attempt at answering the question before reading other people's answers. Also, it's never really set in stone as to who told the rest of the fighters, so it's really up in the air as to what really happened.

Though, it does make sense that Vegeta could have mentioned Freeza's dad to everyone else, since he did fight for him since his planet's explosion. I mean, he'd have to make some sort of conversation while he was living in the the Capsule Corp. I doubt even Vegeta could stay that anti-social...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:20 pm

They did sense Cold's ki eventually; I think Freeza's was more noticeable because they had already fought him before, not because Cold was beneath notice.

If I remember correctly, all they really say about Cold was that he had a more "terrifying" ki than Freeza's, and there's more ways to interpret that than just strictly saying he's stronger.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:13 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:Doesn't Vegeta Know who Cold is?
According to the Daizenshû, almost nobody knew about Cold.
DaemonCorps wrote:it's never really set in stone as to who told the rest of the fighters
Who else would there be? The others simply felt another ki. They didn't even see Cold.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 am

As far as the show goes, I believe they simply saw him in the beginning as "another big fighting power" How they came to know about King Cold is interesting indeed and as far as I can tell it's simply a plot hole and nothing more... Oh come on! We've all dealt with this before!

*cough Cell regenerating when his head is destroyed coughcough*
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38 am

Mystic Jack wrote:How they came to know about King Cold is interesting indeed and as far as I can tell it's simply a plot hole and nothing more...
Why would that be a plot hole? Trunks knew, and he could have told them.
What's the problem, exactly?

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:10 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Mystic Jack wrote:How they came to know about King Cold is interesting indeed and as far as I can tell it's simply a plot hole and nothing more...
Why would that be a plot hole? Trunks knew, and he could have told them.
What's the problem, exactly?
Besides, they actually saw how Cold was beaten by Trunks. And just before that he mentioned Freeza as his son.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:25 pm

Pieter wrote:they actually saw how Cold was beaten by Trunks.
I didn't remember that.
just before that he mentioned Freeza as his son.
Exactly, that's my point: Trunks knew. Maybe he didn't know Cold's name (then again, I don't remember the good guys ever mentioning the name "Cold"), but he knew he was Freeza's father.

So unless the others mentioned "Freeza's father" before Trunks came back from the future, I don't see any plot hole... And even then, Trunks might have revealed who he had just defeated while they were waiting for Gokû. It wasn't sensitive information, after all...

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I believe either Roshi or Krillin mentioned King Cold when they were feeling Cell's Ki for the first time. I am not completely sure about this, but I can remember someone mentioning the name King Cold around that time.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:15 pm

If I remember correctly, Gohan said, when they were commenting on Cell's powerups, "It's Freeza! And his Father!". ... Actually I think this episode is coming on Toonami this week.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:16 pm

In the manga Gohan notices it, as does Kuririn and Tenshinhan. At least I believe that was everyone who sense King Cold's ki.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Pieter wrote:they actually saw how Cold was beaten by Trunks.
I didn't remember that.
They do, they also see how Freeza is sliced in pieces right. Piccolo could probably understand what they were saying. Trunks yells at them in capitals and they understand.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:54 pm

caejones wrote:If I remember correctly, Gohan said, when they were commenting on Cell's powerups, "It's Freeza! And his Father!".
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they never used the name "Cold".
Anyway, I still don't see the problem...

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

So... even with everyone's thoeries, is it safe to assume that none of the Z fighters knew Cold's name and that they only knew (at the most) that he was Freeza's dad?