Thoughts on DBZ: Why it's the best anime series EVER!!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Thoughts on DBZ: Why it's the best anime series EVER!!!

Post by OutRun2 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 am

Hi guys :)

Well, I've finally managed to watch DBZ in its entirety for the first time ever. Man, what rollercoaster ride. Where to start...

I had previously seen the show back in 2000 in Cartoon Network dub form, but only up to the start of the Majin Buu saga. Now, fast forward seven years later, after having bought the whole series on dvd, I was able able to watch it from beginning to end and FINALLY see those Buu episodes I've been waiting to see for ages.

I can honestly declare, that DBZ is now my favorite anime series EVER!!! Even dethroning Macross which previously held the crown. This is the KING of fighting anime! I can't honestly see how Naruto, YuYu Hakusho, Hajime No Ippo, etc can top it. I can really understand why the series is as popular as it is, now. I feel I can now identify with the truly hardcore DBZ fans.

Upon watching the Babidi/Buu saga for the first time, I did not expect the series to take the turn it did with the introduction of these characters. Majin Buu has to be THE most disturbing villain in the whole series bar none! The fact that he turns humans into food and eats them is just downright twisted and plain wrong. But you know what? I loved every minute of it :lol:

Having not seen the Buu saga before, I was really taken by surprise once he changed into Evil Buu. First thing I thought was "Oh shit, this is gonna get goooood! :)"
You could actually feel the danger and evil this guy possessed. He makes Freeza look like Mr Rogers :twisted: I honestly thought Goten, Trunks and Piccolo were done for, once they got out the Spirit Room(fusion or no fusion). There was no way they were any match for Evil Buu.

Once Kid Buu was formed, I said to myself "Well, this is the end of the line for everyone. No way Goku beats this guy". And indeed it looked that way for a while. But thanks to Vegeta's plan Goku brought out his trump card and saved the day with his Genki Dama or whatever it's called :)

Upon reflection, I think my favorite part of the series is still the Android/Cell sagas. There's just something sinister and mysterious about the way the plot moves along that attracts me. Anyone watching that particular section of the series can't help but sit and watch in suspense, wondering what's really going on. The way things unfold during the android and imperfect cell sagas, coupled with the whole time traveling aspect of it, and how they're all tied together is nothing short of brilliant.

Well it's late and I really can't think of anything else to add, other than it was a great ride. The length of the show does not bother me at all, neither does the long, drawn out nature in which the series progresses. I think the character development is one of DBZ's greatest strengths, as well as the way in which everything ties together in the Dragon Ball Universe.

I expect to re-watch the whole series from start to finish at least once a year. That way everything remains fresh and it keeps it from getting too old and redundant.

How often do you guys watch DBZ in it's entirety?

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:26 am

I have watched DB in his entirety at least once thanks to the dragon box :)

(I'm doing it again now, but I'm still at the 21 tournament)

You should watch the original DB, it's great, and King Piccolo's saga is personally my favourite.

I've been watching Dragon ball since 1989 and I still like it :) best anime ever

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 pm

I have yet to watch the anime series in its entirety, but I have read the manga. Sometimes I go back & read some chapters a couple of times. I would like to see the anime series in its entirety one day, but it seems like a far off dream for me at the moment.
Last edited by Sebastian (SB) on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:I have yet to watch the series in its entirety, but I have read the manga. Sometimes I go back & read some chapters a couple of times. I would like to see the series in its entirety one day, but it seems like a far off dream for me at the moment.
It's easy to watch the series, Seb. Just stare at each panel for 22 minutes at a time.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:39 pm

That would a lot longer than the anime series itself. Since you wanna get all technical about it, I'll be more specific.
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:That would a lot longer than the anime series itself. Since you wanna get all technical about it, I'll be more specific.
I think it would be...roughly 50 minutes per chapter. If you want to be technical.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 pm

When I meant by being more technical was calling about how I've never seen the anime series, but read the manga series.

Friezafan120
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Friezafan120 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:03 pm

The manga is indeed superior. DBZ would be the best series ever IF it ended with the Freeza Saga.
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 pm

I don’t think Dragonball Z or any manga can be called "the BEST EVAR!"
I really don’t think anything can be called best. It is a classic and well drawn series though.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 pm

It IS the best. Nothing can ever beat the godliness of DragonBall. Your post just made me REALLY happy!

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I think that Dragonball Z IS one of the best damn Animes ever made. I have been watching since 98 when it was on CN, and I just can't get the hell enough! :D
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:49 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:... and I just can't get the hell enough! :D
Seconded!

Although, I will say even though I get just as much satisfaction from DBZ as I do DB, I do prefer DB slightly more.

Also, I'll state I prefer DBZ with the post Freeza arcs versus having it end with Freeza. The Android and Cell stuff is just too good I think to leave it out. Also, I do really like the Buu stuff (can't say the same about GT).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:14 pm

The manga is great. Seriously good reading. I can't watch the anime after reading the whole series anymore though...I'm like..."What is this?! What's with all the repeating frames?! This part never happened! This doesn't make sense! Goku can fly to get groceries, he doesn't need to drive!! Fight something for the love of Kami! Stop talking so much!!! HOW IS GULDO LASTING SO LONG AGAINST KRILLIN AND GOHAN?! AHHH!!!"

Then my head explodes.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:27 am

Drunken Master wrote:The manga is great. Seriously good reading. I can't watch the anime after reading the whole series anymore though...I'm like..."What is this?! What's with all the repeating frames?! This part never happened! This doesn't make sense! Goku can fly to get groceries, he doesn't need to drive!! Fight something for the love of Kami! Stop talking so much!!! HOW IS GULDO LASTING SO LONG AGAINST KRILLIN AND GOHAN?! AHHH!!!"

Then my head explodes.
Isn't this the same as when people read the books that become movies or television shows?

Can we really compare a printed work that becomes a moving picture?

Someone mentioned other anime such as Yu-Yu Hakusho and Naruto, and as much as I am in love with Dragonball Z there is such a thing as being tooo over the top. And some of these series are much more balanced. Don't get me wrong, I'll still choose Dragonball three out of five times over anything else if I had to choose. And I do favor Dragonball over Z, again for the balancement of the show.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:33 am

Neither the Anime nor Manga are my favorites of their respective mediums. Death Note recently edged it out for favorite Manga and, while I do enjoy watching parts of the Anime, I've seen more than enough that have blown it out of the water. The GetBackers, History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi, Rurouni Kenshin and so on...
Pope Blitzkrieg Internet Shades McCool wrote:The manga is great. Seriously good reading. I can't watch the anime after reading the whole series anymore though...I'm like..."What is this?! What's with all the repeating frames?! This part never happened! This doesn't make sense! Goku can fly to get groceries, he doesn't need to drive!! Fight something for the love of Kami! Stop talking so much!!! HOW IS GULDO LASTING SO LONG AGAINST KRILLIN AND GOHAN?! AHHH!!!"

Then my head explodes.
Quoted for serious win. I can still watch the Anime, but that often happens to me as well.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Y'know it's funny, over at the AoD forums, 99% of the replies to this same topic are people that HATE anything with Dragon Ball's name on it. It seems the younger people on their early to late 20's seem to have this "DBZ sucks" mentality and think they're too good for it or something. I am 34yrs old and have been watching anime for over 15 years! Starting with things like Macross, the original Gundam, Bubble Gum Crisis, Megazone23, all the way to things like Cowboy Bebop, Gungrave, Escaflowne etc. I have seen A LOT of shows, folks! You're not talking to an anime n00b here! I know my stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the above mentioned are FANTASTIC! But there's something strangely attractive about the Dragon Ball franchise. It's so over the top, so juvenile, so BLATENTLY one dimensional that I can't help but be shamelessly drawn to it. Maybe it's because at 34, I've gotten over my "I'm too cool to watch this kiddy shit. I need an anime with depth, with substance, something underground, extremely cool but not mega popular and mainstream" phase.

I've accepted that DBZ is a household name and is a mega franchise throughout the world. I just watch it with an open mind and watch it for what it is, a fun action series with lots of fights and over the top action scenes. I don't care that the plot isn't as deep as FMA, Gungrave or Evangelion. I just like to kick back and enjoy it even if it's just a bunch of mindless action and shit talking.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:47 am

You know, while I would hesitate to call Dragon Ball the best anime ever (I'd have to pick between Fullmetal Alchemist, Big O, Eureka-Seven or Bleach no idea which one) - I WILL Say its EASILY my favorate. No other series gets me to go back and watch it nearly as often as DB/Z does. I've got the entire series on DVD (With the first 13 eps of DB on VHS but there isn't a proper US release of those yet on DVD anyway) - so I've been running through the entire series myself recently (Currently inn the tail en d of the Red Ribbon Saga). I just love the characters, the artstyle and the aesthetic. It really draws me in. It has plenty of flaws that we fans debate incessently and it has inconsitancies up the wazzo and lacks the depth I'd take to call it best. But it still is my favorate because I cannot stop loving every last second of it. Except GT, but then I didn't buy that series :P

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:52 am

OutRun2 wrote:Y'know it's funny, over at the AoD forums, 99% of the replies to this same topic are people that HATE anything with Dragon Ball's name on it. It seems the younger people on their early to late 20's seem to have this "DBZ sucks" mentality and think they're too good for it or something.
Or, uh, they just don't like it.

The fact that you made three topics about DBZ at once, and all of them were ridiculously over-the-top in their fanboyish sycophancy, might also have biased some against posting a positive response.
Maybe it's because at 34, I've gotten over my "I'm too cool to watch this kiddy shit. I need an anime with depth, with substance, something underground, extremely cool but not mega popular and mainstream" phase.
Honestly? I think most people at AoD have as well. Doesn't mean they all like DBZ.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:When I meant by being more technical was calling about how I've never seen the anime series, but read the manga series.
My comment was on how you don't need to watch the anime, as you get the same effect by taking 22 minutes to read each panel of the manga.

the joke -> :arrow:

joor hed -> :shock:

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball is one of my favorite past times & I'll always hold it to heart. A lot of the other stuff that's out there, never really entranced it as much as Dragon Ball. I think it has to do with the fact that the style is unique & different then what's out there in the Japanese entertainment market. Sure Toriyama's style is simple, but can you ever name a artist that when you look at a art piece, you would automatically think Toriyama. I think very few can that effect on you.

The only other title that's ever come close to my passion for Dragon Ball would be One Piece for a lot of reasons. I've seen other titles like Bleach & Naruto, but they feel so derivative to me for some reason. I know they have their unique aspects, but sometimes I'm left thinking they're not sure what they want to be. Of course that's just me.
My comment was on how you don't need to watch the anime, as you get the same effect by taking 22 minutes to read each panel of the manga.

the joke -> Arrow

joor hed -> Shocked
I think that's a good way of putting it.