Does Sony Vegas Lower the Quality?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Does Sony Vegas Lower the Quality?

Post by Drabaz » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:31 pm

When you render a video into .avi, .wmv, or whatever does it lower the quality of the video file you're using as bad as Windows Movie Maker does?

I just did a lot of editing on a short clip and instead of having a million video tracks for the short clip I was hoping to save and render that short clip so that it's just one video and will only take up 1 video track. But if that clip will end up being of lower quality than the rest of the video, I don't think it will be worth it.

By the way I'm using Sony Vegas and making an AMV......obviously :D
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm

It has nothing to do with the program... it has to do with the codec you're exporting into.

I have never used Vegas before, but in Premiere (and After Effects, and VirtualDub, etc.) you can select which compression setting you want to use in the export settings. If you don't want to lose a single thing, use either HuffyUV or Lagarith (both of which come as a part of the AMVapp). Also make sure you're exporting to the same frame rate, window size, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 am

No, definitely not. WMM exports only into wmv as far as I'm concerned. You can play around with the settings to give your encode a higher quality, but that's about it.

Now, Vegas (which I use) has a wider range of codecs to use. Loseless codecs (like Lagarith and Huffyuv) are good if you want to retain quality, which is what you should save as when you finish your AMV (Then you use a program like VirtualDub to compress to a smaller format). But as long as you use the right settings, your video should come out looking as good as your original footage themselves.