Losing the Satanic Touch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

4KidsEmployee

Losing the Satanic Touch

Post by 4KidsEmployee » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:10 am

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:17 am

OMG LIKE BURN BUILDINGS TORCH GEN BARRY VIZ IS EVIL HATE.

And life moved on.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:19 am

the graphic novels are left unchanged

it's just the SJ magazine
That's all I care about. Still a bitch though.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

4KidsEmployee

Post by 4KidsEmployee » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:20 am

Last time Viz made a change in the SJ manga the changes were kept in the Graphic Novels.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:21 am

*reads*

:shock:

*proceeds to vomit in rage*

To quote what someone already said in that thread, Viz representives blood will flow over this...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:25 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:To quote what someone already said in that thread, Viz representives blood will flow over this...
No it won't.

They changed a name. They've been making increasingly larger edits for months. You'd be blind not to have seen it coming.

They made a decision. They want to start marketing it towards younger kids. If you don't like that, stop buying it.

And get a grip. Everyone. Before I lock this. If you want to talk this kind of hateful, non-constructive nonsense, go hang out on the OA where you belong.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:32 am

Hm.

Shonen Jump still has a teen rating, right? This sort of thing should be okay.

Moved on...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:49 am

Could it be because everybody's (dubbies) used to him as "H ercule" that they called him that? I mean it's not like they're targetting YuGiOh for kids, and that's really violent in comparison.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:They changed a name. They've been making increasingly larger edits for months. You'd be blind not to have seen it coming.

They made a decision. They want to start marketing it towards younger kids. If you don't like that, stop buying it.

And get a grip. Everyone. Before I lock this. If you want to talk this kind of hateful, non-constructive nonsense, go hang out on the OA where you belong.
Okay, maybe it won't, but it should. :roll:

I've understood that the marketing was aimed at younger kids, and that the edits had been leading up to this (I.E. 16's "Inferno Blast") But I was hoping that this wouldn't happen.

It's really a pointless edit, because I would bet more than 90% of the people reading the SJ manga have already seen some of the DBZ anime, where even in the edited dub they end up calling him Mr. Satan every once in awhile.

And it's pretty easy to tell people that they can protest by not buying the Graphic novels, but that's not such a great choice for those of us who don't want a censored manga, and don't want to order ours from Japan, and then learn to read japanese. Why shouldn't we all be put off by this?

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:57 am

We should be put off by it, but let's not hate Viz. They're doing us a favor just by bringing over the Dragonball manga in a neat monthly organ (though I don't think anything else in the magazine is that great except DB and Naruto, but that's just me...). Maybe someone will start a petition or something, though I frankly don't care too much. While I'd like to see Dragonball unedited, we all know Hercule's name is really Mr.Satan, so it really doesn't kill the manga for me or anything. If I want uncensored DBZ so bad, I'll get graphic novels (hopefully, they won't be edited as much if they know enough people will get antsy over it).

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:25 am

OMG TEHY R DASTROYIN THAT CULTURE N TI AND DBZ SI DEEP N AMERIKKKANZ RUAN TI AND MAEK IT A KIDS CARTOOOn.

Meh.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:40 am

What tablet said. Really guys, its not that big of a deal. If you cant put up with it, dont buy the frikkin magazine. Its that simple.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:47 am

I was actually more annoyed by:
I mean, Bulma? Sure, I can handle that. Yamcha? Only one letter.
I bet he writed Bejiita too...
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:19 pm

oponok wrote:Maybe someone will start a petition or something, though I frankly don't care too much.
If you really want to make a difference, the best way is probably to contact them directly, at either their regular-mail or e-mail addresses:

SHONEN JUMP c/o VIZ, LLC
P.O. Box 77010
San Francisco, CA 94107

letters@shonenjump.com

The key thing is to stress that the censorship is unnecessary and foolish (and more likely to drum up bad publicity among the people who actually read the magazine, than not doing so would have done), and suggest that they at the very least change it back to "Mr. Satan" for the Graphic Novel release.

Cussing Viz out / giving death threats does not make you more likely to succeed; it merely makes you come across as belligerent and stupid. Keep in mind that you have to convince them that DBZ fans are mature enough to handle his name, and being immature about it will only hurt your cause. Only a courteous, well-reasoned letter will be the least bit effective here.

That said, please check out my incredibly prescient thread from a few months back, where I gave some further information.

Good luck, all of you.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Maybe if you don't like this edit, you can cross out "H-e-r-c-u-l-e" and write in "Mr. S474nzzz0rz".

Truthfully, I was enraged when they did this with the dub, but I got over it; and while I usually call him Mr. Satan, there is every once and a while when I can't handle those two extra syllables, and I blurt out H-e-r-c-u-l-e.

Also, um... why when I type in H-e-r-c-u-l-e without the dashes, does it turn it into Mr. Satan? :lol:
Last edited by Detective X on Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:27 pm

Detective X wrote:Maybe if you don't like this edit, you can cross out "H-e-r-c-u-l-e" and write in "Mr. S474nzzz0rz".

Truthfully, I was enraged when they did this with the dub, but I got over it; and while I usually call him Mr. Satan, there is every once and a while when I can't handle those two extra syllables, and I blurt out Mr. Satan.

Also, um... why when I type in H-e-r-c-u-l-e without the dashes, does it turn it into Mr. Satan? :lol:
Yes. Same Fr ieza turning into Freeza. It's done intentionally.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:30 pm

Yes it's EX's little trick. There are certain spellings of certain names that he just feels are completely wrong and doesn't want them used on this forum. So if you type in one of these particular ones like He rcule or Fr ieza, they automatically go to what is considered the more accurate spelling or name: Mr. Satan and Freeza.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:31 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Yes it's EX's little trick. There are certain spellings of certain names that he just feels are completely wrong and doesn't want them used this forum. So if you type in one of these particular ones like He rcule or Fr ieza, they automatically go to what is considered the more accurate spelling or name: Mr. Satan and Freeza.
Yep. Just me being an amusing asshole ^^.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Yep. Just me being an amusing asshole ^^.
Don't be so judgemental about yourself. You're not amusing! :P

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:43 pm

So um....why are you reading US Shonen Jump and supporting it by doing as such if it pisses you off so?

You could argue that you want to support Japanese manga, but then aren't you helping to support the oft-bashed Yu Gi Oh by buying the material in the first place, giving blood to the very types of manga decried by US "fans" and claimed a failure?

It's a bloody circle. Bite your lip and suck hard on the lemon of American Japanese animation fandom, or learn Japanese. Either way your life is hell. Suicide is the answer. Yes, you heard me, now go.