Writing up the Piccolo bio... holes in memory...

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Frozen

Post by Frozen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:34 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:This should be of help, if someone hasn't already replied by the time I'm done. :P

- Piccolo watches Goku & 19 fight, adding commentary. When Goku begins losing Piccolo tries to intervene, and gets shot down by Dr. Gero. However when Vegeta arrives, Piccolo reveals that he was only pretending to be hurt, waiting for the right moment to attack (Vegeta messed his plan up by attacking)
You forgot to mention the fact that he chopped off Gero's arm to stop him from draining energy from the other warriors. That scene was particularly badass.

On a side note, the correct spelling for his name is Piccoro, not Piccolo, as well as Daimakuu, not Daimao. Of course, beautiful funimation had to change things from the way they originally were.
Last edited by Frozen on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:B

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:10 am

Frozen wrote:On a side note, the correct spelling for his name is Piccoro, not Piccolo, as well as Daimakuu, not Daimao. Of course, beautiful funimation had to change things from the way they originally were.
PLEASE tell me this was just a failed attempt at sarcasm o.o;;
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:19 am

Frozen wrote: On a side note, the correct spelling for his name is Piccoro, not Piccolo, as well as Daimakuu, not Daimao. Of course, beautiful funimation had to change things from the way they originally were.
noob... n00b! N0000B!!!! :shock:

j/k, mostly. Piccolo is spelled Piccolo. The only reason it's PROUNOUNCED Piccoro in the anime is because there's no "l" in the Japanese alphabet (you know what I mean). He's named after the instrument. As for Daimakuu vs Daimao: never heard of that...
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:21 am

Dai mean "Great", "ma" means "Demon"... What the fuck is "kuu"?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:36 am

B-kun wrote:Dai mean "Great", "ma" means "Demon"... What the fuck is "kuu"?
Argument for Daimao: "Great Demon King".

Argument for Daimakuu: "Great Demon WTF"...
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:50 am

Now, now... be nice. For all we know, the person's just being silly ^^. And if not... well, it's time they learned that:

a) FUNimation bashing is SOOOO five years ago
b) If you're going to bash them, at least do it for something practical/correct
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:16 pm

Just to further back up the evidence, even though it doesn't need to be, expanding on what Dayspring said regarding the "r" and "l", yes since the letter "l" doesn't exist in Japanese, they use "r" as the closest equivalent, since the pronunciation of it has a similar sound. But that doesn't mean English speaking people who have the "l" in their language, need to be replacing it with "r". Especially since it is indeed an English word anyway. Okay, okay, so it's originally an Italian word meaning "small", but of course in this case Toriyama meant the musical instrument. Okay, now that I've probably confused people further, I'll shut-up now. :roll:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:48 pm

Frozen wrote:You forgot to mention the fact that he chopped off Gero's arm to stop him from draining energy from the other warriors. That scene was particularly badass.
Yeah, that was pretty bad-assed :D However I didn't mention it because EX already knew, I was just 'filling-in' for the parts he didn't remember. And Piccolo dis-arming #20 is pretty memorable.
On a side note, the correct spelling for his name is Piccoro, not Piccolo, as well as Daimakuu, not Daimao. Of course, beautiful funimation had to change things from the way they originally were.
I can see why you might think that, since at one point Dr. Gero's sensors actually identify him as "Piccoro". But rest asured, this is a simple case of engrish, as others said earlier. Steve Simmons translations for DBZ were as close to the original as you can get without learning Japanese yourself.

Cold Cobra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cold Cobra » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:13 am

I take it that you're leaving GT out of the bio? If you are, then at least Piccolo can have a good ending. It really annoyed me that his GT ending was that he was stuck in hell and was "helping out" the ogres that are supposed to be able to control it.

Anyway... Even though it may seem it, I'm not one of those extreme GT haters or anything. I'd just like to clear that up. :)
Er.... No.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:34 pm

Whenever someone necroposts an angel rips its wings off.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:19 am

Actually, Dayspring, I dunno if this really counts as necro-posting. I mean, the bio isn't up yet...

Cold Cobra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cold Cobra » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:36 am

Whoops! I honestly didn't see the length in time from it's last post, as it was still high on the threads list.

Honest mistake! :oops:
Er.... No.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:53 am

Nah, it's cool... I'm not done writing the bio. In fact, I haven't touched it since about the last posts in this thread. And for the most part, no, we're not really including GT in the bios. For one thing... I just haven't seen most of GT. Also, it's not as easy to refer to the manga when writing as it would be for the rest of the series (not to mention those pesky things in GT that contradict the manga).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:19 pm

B-kun wrote:Actually, Dayspring, I dunno if this really counts as necro-posting. I mean, the bio isn't up yet...
My apologies then. I figured it was up somewhere since the thread was dead so long. Sorry, Cobra.