Writing up the Piccolo bio... holes in memory...

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Writing up the Piccolo bio... holes in memory...

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:17 pm

So for the last bit I've been writing a little outline in my notebook about all of the events we see Piccolo go through for his bio over on the "Characters Guide." Sadly, I have giant holes in my memory; this is what happens when you're not actively reading/watching a series that spans over 500 episodes :P.

So here's my list of events. PLEASE throw in some information where I'm missing it, or where it's just completely wrong. You don't need to get into TOO much detail; since Piccolo's a major character that's around for a hella long time, his bio's not going to be as absurdly detailed as, say, Nappa's. More long the lines of what Meri's written thus far for Trunks.

Anyway... here's what I've got. Note the red stuff... means I need some help.
  • Spit out as egg from Piccolo-Daimao
  • Shown as young child terrorizing and realizing his powers (Is this in the anime only?)
  • Emerges as an adult three years later to compete in the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai and battle/defeat Goku under the alias "Ma Junior"
  • (What's the order of his fights? I know he battles Kuririn and Shen/Kami... are those the only ones we see?)
  • Claims to be the original Piccolo-Daimao reincarnation
  • Loses (barely) to Goku via flying technique / headbutt
  • Given Senzu, blasts off, not seen for years
  • Confronted by Raditz, powerless
  • Offers to temporarily join forces with Goku, has been training with weighted clothing and developed new technique (which he wanted to kill Goku with)
  • Fights Raditz with Goku, loses an arm, kills Goku/Raditz
  • Grows arm back, takes Gohan
  • Watches over and trains with Gohan for one year
  • Vegeta and Nappa first sense Piccolo/Gohan upon their arrival
  • Learns that he is of Namekian origin
  • Easily disposes of Saibaiman, but still tries NOT to protect Gohan... but does... doesn't WANT to...
  • Grabs Nappa's tail, but it doesn't matter...
  • Vegeta afraid of Goku teaming up with everyone else, orders Nappa to kill, Piccolo jumps in the way of blast meant for Gohan... shown Piccolo's new, kinder nature, and his fatherly-type love for Gohan
  • Trains on Kaio-sei, refuses to partake in Bubbles training
  • Convinces Gohan to wish him back to life; wished back to life and then to Planet Namek
  • Comes across Nail, nearly dead, and merges with him to exponentially increase in power
  • Arrives to battle 2nd-form Freeza; holds his own quite well until 3rd-form transformation
  • (At some point, he's nearly killed and tossed somewhere to be healed by Dende, or something? Don't remember anything in this section)
  • Stalls for Goku as he forms the Genki-Dama
  • Shot through the chest when Freeza returns
  • Everyone's wished back to Earth (Dende heals him?)
  • Cyborg Freeza, blah blah, Piccolo's the only one to hear the conversation between Goku and Trunks
  • Trains with Goku and Gohan for the next three years
  • Watches #19 + Goku/Vegeta fights (?)
  • Pursuit of #20, briefly fight, #20 escapes
  • Enraged, refers to himself as Piccolo-Daimao once again, blasts up to Kami's
  • Waits impatiently until Kami is ready to once again merge, after watching over and discovering the "monster" below
  • "I am just a warrior who has long since forgotten his name..."
  • Lands in Ginger Town, discovers Cell, fights, learns who is really is / who made him, Taiyo-Ken blast AAH!! MY EYES!! escapes
  • (I get murky here, again... somehow he ends back up at Kame House, because that's where #17 arrives)
  • Fights #17 in giant awesome incredible "Can Can" battle, Cell arrives to ruin the fun, Piccolo beaten badly
  • (Murky, again. Somehow Cell absorbs #17, and somewhere in there Goku teleports in to get Piccolo out of the ocean? Once brought back, what does Piccolo do the entire time that Goku/Gohan/Vegeta/Trunks train in the Room of Time and Spirit?)
  • Cell Games, Piccolo mostly watches on
  • Only one to really hold own against Cell Jr
  • (What does he do for seven years? Train Dende?)
  • 25th Budokai, goes under "Ma Junior" again, concedes to Kaioshin
  • (Everyone blasts off to Babidi's, but I haven't seen the Dabura/Gohan fight, so I don't know how Piccolo's turned to stone... explanation?)
  • Stone Piccolo broken, Dabura killed, Piccolo OK due to regeneration, watches on (Who's fighting who at this point?)
  • (Murky, again. I know he nearly kills Babidi at one point, but is this before/during/after Vegeta fight? I know he flies off with Goten, Trunks, and Kuririn when Vegeta kills himself. I believe there's some point where Vegeta THINKS Buu's dead, and Piccolo just kinda talks to him... all that stuff about "Will I see Goku in the afterlife" blah blah blah... if someone could put all those events in order for me, I'd appreciate it)
  • Learns Fusion from Goku, teaches it and plays drill instructor to Goten and Trunks
  • Stalls Super Buu
  • Room of Time and Spirit, get stuck in, yell way out
  • (From here on out, I don't really remember anything. Haven't watched the fusion episodes onwards in YEARS, and the translated manga's not out yet... desperate help needed here)
So when it comes down to it, it seems like I don't remember jack about the show. Ah, well. That's what happens when real life comes into play :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:46 pm

This should be of help, if someone hasn't already replied by the time I'm done. :P

- Piccolo almost dies against Freeza 3rd form, but Gohan rushes in to save his life by blasting him with a giant Masenko. (Which Piccolo has to blow up when Freeza deflects it). Freeza begins to transform right afterwards, so Gohan leads Piccolo to Dende so he can heal him.

- Dende heals Piccolo after they are wished back to Earth.

- Piccolo watches Goku & 19 fight, adding commentary. When Goku begins losing Piccolo tries to intervene, and gets shot down by Dr. Gero. However when Vegeta arrives, Piccolo reveals that he was only pretending to be hurt, waiting for the right moment to attack (Vegeta messed his plan up by attacking)

- After Cell escapes, Piccolo flies around for several hours (and episodes) with Tenshinhan trying to track him down. Then later he decides to fly around with the Z-senshi on a plane, so that he could supress his KI. When Goku returns and tells everyone his plan, he returns to the Kame house.

- During Piccolos fight with 17, Cell arrives. After he powers up, Piccolo stands paralyzed by his strength and does nothing while Cell fights 17. When Cell almost absorbs 17, Piccolo kicks him off, and they have a brief scuffle. Piccolo gives him a massive Ki blast, but Cell isn't hurt. Piccolo yells for 17 to run, and Cell breaks his neck with a punch in mid-setence. Cell blasts Piccolo through the stomach and tosses him in the Ocean. (He says he no longer needs Piccolos energy?) A little while later Piccolo somehow manages to wash up on shore, Goku sences his Ki when he arrives to save Tenshinhan, and saves him too.

- Piccolo is restored by a senzu bean, and basically just sits around until Vegeta and Trunks finish up. Piccolo also uses the Room of Spirit of time after Goku and Gohan finish.

- Dabura attacks the Z-senshi on Babidi's orders to kill some of the weaker fighters, so to lure the stronger ones inside. After killing Kibit with a ki blast, he spits on Piccolo and Kuririn, then flies back in the ship.

- When Piccolo is turned back to normal, Boo has just finished eating Dabura. Piccolo watches on as Boo is about to kill Kaioshin, then (Majin) Vegeta arrives.

- When Goten and Trunks fly off to help Vegeta, Piccolo goes after Babidi at the same time, chopping through his energy sheild and cutting him in half.

- After that he explains to Vegeta what will happen to him when he dies, then flies off with the boys.

- After Piccolo escapes from the room of Spirit and Time, he pretty much just sits back and watches SSJ3 Gotenks beat the tar out of Boo (Also freaks out about how they destroy Kami's Palace) After Gotenks uses his "Boo Ball" technique, he is eventually forced to help him with the Boo Volley Ball technique.

- After the Fusion ends, Piccolo steps in to save the boys, offering that they should all go down fighting together (To which of course, they are less than thrilled). Then Gohan shows up, he adds several hours of commentary until Boo escapes and he talks to Gohan. When Boo returns he tries to warn them that he senses Boo is trying to decieve them, but is absorbed.

- Piccolo is removed from Boo's innards, and then dies when Boo destroys the Earth. After being restored to life he donates his energy to the Super Genki Dama, and flies into the city to try and convince others to as well. Of course everyone runs away screaming for their lives.

- When Piccolo see's everyone donate their Ki because of Mr. Satan he laughs for the first time, saying "You got me beat Mr. Satan! Bwa ha ha!"

- He attends the after party, choosing to sit in quiet solitude of Bulmas garden, and then at the "disco" he just sits and taps his foot amusedly.

- He returns as a spectator for the last Tenkaichi tournament, adding more commentary yet again about Oob.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:58 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I needed. I wasn't too far off in what I thought (and didn't write down), but I wasn't going to note it if I wasn't sure.

Muchly appreciated! Now just have to type it up all pretty and... the hardest part... take all the screen caps :P. Luckily, I'm sure there's a nice full-body shot of Piccolo in the first daizenshuu, so I don't have to do one of my crazy-ass composite pan-shot cut-outs re-borders... x_X;;
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:21 pm

DB: There's only one manga panel concerning kiddy Piccolo: "I swear I'll avenge you, dad!" blablabla

He flicks a few guys unconscious in one panel-fights in the preliminaries at the 23rd budoukai, and yes he does fight Kuririn before Shen before Goku.

EDIT: He doesn't train Dende. He just chooses to live at the lookout from then on. He's pretty much training to fight like normal (manga anyway).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:24 pm

Thank yas. I'll make a note of kid-Piccolo in the bio, then (that he only appears for the one panel, but it's dragged out in the anime). I don't like to make a big deal of changes like that, but I think that's the sort of thing that warrants it.

Thanks, again~

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:57 pm

Since I'm back at the apartment now, are there any Piccolo screencaps you want me to take from DVDs? I'm not really doing anything for the moment except for reading manga and waiting for footage to finish encoding (it's STILL going!!).

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:04 pm

I can't tell what I want until I actually write out the bios and have a sense of paragraph and image placement, unfortunately... I'll just do it myself... later... ;_;

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:28 pm

Who had actually managed to see Piccolo-Daimao? The reason I ask this... most of Goku's friends didn't realize who Piccolo was when he appeared at the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai (in fact, I think only Tenshinhan did...)

Roshi died trying to kill him... Tenshinhan and Chao-zu would know who he is... Kuririn was dead long before Daimao was really around... help? ^^;;

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:28 pm

The only ones I think knew his appearance were Goku, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Roshi, Yajirobe, the King... and other than them, his minions, Pilaf and them.

But, he did make that television broadcast announcing his lottery to destroy one part of the world every year, and I remember Bulma, Yamucha, and Lunch, in evil form, saw that. And Bulma's parents. I think that's all.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:16 pm

A lot of people saw that broadcast. It was shown on a huge TV screen in the middle of a town.

This is the reason Piccolo had to disguise himself with a turban at the 23. Budokai. A huge amount of people would've recognised him otherwise.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Yeah, like the green skin wasn't a give-away. :roll: But let's face it, the people of Earth have horrid memory. Between the fight against the Saiya-jin and the arrival of Cell they've all completely forgotten about Goku and the others...

Anyway, to get back on topic, yeah, everyone on the planet saw him thanks to his broadcast. Only Krillin, Roshi, and Chiaotzu would have missed it, what with being dead.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:34 pm

Xyex wrote: Only Krillin, Roshi, and Chiaotzu would have missed it, what with being dead.
What about Giran, Namu, and all the others Piccolo killed?

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:28 pm

What about Giran, Namu, and all the others Piccolo killed?
They were killed by Tambourine, if I recall.

I know that everyone saw that broadcast, I was just trying to think of the main characters that saw it, or that were shown watching it.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:13 pm

*gets back to writing*

How long after Namek explodes is the Mecha-Freeza stuffage? I'm ignoring Garlic Jr., obviously, by the way...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:51 pm

About 8 months. December 24th 762 is the last day of Namek. Mecha Freeza arrives on Earth in "a day in August" in 763
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:21 pm

I don't know about exact dates, but the manga says a year had passed since the fight on Namek when Cyber-Frieza shows up.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:15 pm

Go by that. I was using the daizenshuu, but who's to say DB even follows the same 12-month calendar as us?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:40 am

Super Sonic wrote:I don't know about exact dates, but the manga says a year had passed since the fight on Namek when Cyber-Freeza shows up.
Close, but I believe it said a year had passed after the second summoning of Porunga. So that's a year and 260 days.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:01 am

Back to the "who would've seen Piccolo?" question for a minute, while this in no way excuses the inhabitants of Earth, Chaozu and Roshi would have only seen Piccolo Daimo -before- he regained his youth, which given that they live in a world with Dinosaurs and talking dog-men, excuses them not recognizing the new, younger, and en-turbaned Piccolo Daimo based on the old, wrinkly one's appearance. Everyone else is still pretty stupid.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:46 am

So it took Goku almost two years to come back from Yardrat? How long was he actually on the planet and how long did it actually take him to come home?