Does Funimation really treat Dragonball that bad?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jermyn

Does Funimation really treat Dragonball that bad?

Post by Jermyn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Does Funimation really deserve all blame and abuse it gets here on this board? I mean if not for them, DBZ in America would have died when Saban abandon the series. And if not for them dubbing DBZ, anime in the USA would not have become so sucessful as it is today. If they really didn't care for the series, why would they bother going back try to fix mistakes in dub?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm not upset at Funimation itself. I'm upset with subdivisions of it. :3

Like for example, I'm upset at whoever decided to cancel the UUE's (I own 4 of them and loved them), whoever decided to only partly-redub season 3 instead of a full on redub, whoever thought fake widescreen was a good idea, and whoever decided NOT to include the original syndication audio on seasons 2 and 3.

I'm also partly frustrated at Goku's VA for not returning for the redub of season 3, but I learned in another thread that he had his reasons.
That and he's been doing very well on this one show I've seen him on so I can't stay upset.

But yes, had it not been for Funi, I probably wouldn't have gotten into the show in the first place as I was introduced to the show through the dub on Weekday Toonami.

EDIT: Oh! One thing I should point out that they did a good job on.
NOT changing the main characters names.
Sure Goku's missing his "Son" in the dub, but its better than renaming all the characters the way they did in Sailor Moon. :shock:
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:41 pm

I kinda agree with you, I still hold a bit of respect for FUNi, and as 'bad' as things look with their treatment towards the series, I'm glad things turned out the way they did, afterall it could have been a lot worse. The only thing that they could do to fix everything for my viewing pleasure atleast, would be to simply release the first two seasons of DBZ without the widescreen bars. Plain and simple.

And..oh yeah, prepare for the plethora of reasons why Funimation deserves the blame and abuse it recieves here from the other board members. :wink:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 pm

All would be forgiven if they kept up with the UUE's, so I'm a little bitter about the widescreen (after dropping 100 bucks or so for the first UUE set), but there's nothing I can do about it.

They did do a good job with Dragonball (at least in Australia) and GT (apart from the fact GT was too expensive) so I can't fault them there.

I think everyone gets angry at them because in this day and age, there really isn't any excuse for lackluster anime releases.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 am

Captain Awesome wrote:GT (apart from the fact GT was too expensive) so I can't fault them there.
How's GT too expensive? Getting the "Lost Episode" volumes and the rest of the series' box-sets costs less over-all than the GT Dragonbox did. I don't really see how it costs a great deal, not much more than an even $200. That's counting the first LE volume w/t box-set and Goku Jr. special, by the way. Keep in mind, considering we're getting it 100% uncut with Steve Simmons' subs, the very fact it's less expensive than the GT Dragonbox is a very nifty perk IMO.
14 years later

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 am

FUNimation? No, I don't blame them as a whole. I blame the DBZ Brand Manager.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:12 am

Conan the SSJ wrote: How's GT too expensive? Getting the "Lost Episode" volumes and the rest of the series' box-sets costs less over-all than the GT Dragonbox did. I don't really see how it costs a great deal, not much more than an even $200. That's counting the first LE volume w/t box-set and Goku Jr. special, by the way. Keep in mind, considering we're getting it 100% uncut with Steve Simmons' subs, the very fact it's less expensive than the GT Dragonbox is a very nifty perk IMO.
What I meant was they are expensive when compared to the Dragonball sets (less than $200 for 150-ish episodes)

I think the GT sets are a great release (I'm currently acquiring funds to make a purchase), but after purchasing Dragonball so dirt cheap it's hard to pay that much for 64 episodes.

*edit* Though I gladly pay it for a 4:3 release*edit*

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 am

Kendamu wrote:FUNimation? No, I don't blame them as a whole. I blame the DBZ Brand Manager.
Seconded.

-Corey

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Kendamu wrote:FUNimation? No, I don't blame them as a whole. I blame the DBZ Brand Manager.
Seconded.

-Corey
MEOWTH THREEEEE!!!!! *thatonesound*

But seriously people, widescreeN?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Does Funimation really treat Dragonball that bad?

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 am

Jermyn wrote:Does Funimation really deserve all blame and abuse it gets here on this board? I mean if not for them, DBZ in America would have died when Saban abandon the series.
Eh, it's proven to be one of the most popular cartoon series of all time world wide. I think someone else might've looked into it. And maybe, just maybe, theyd've thought "Hey, FUNi tried to Americanize it to hell and beyond, and they failed. Let's see if we're more successful if we, you know, don't. It worked for all those foreign dubbers."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:09 am

Adamant wrote:
Jermyn wrote:Does Funimation really deserve all blame and abuse it gets here on this board? I mean if not for them, DBZ in America would have died when Saban abandon the series.
Eh, it's proven to be one of the most popular cartoon series of all time world wide. I think someone else might've looked into it. And maybe, just maybe, theyd've thought "Hey, FUNi tried to Americanize it to hell and beyond, and they failed. Let's see if we're more successful if we, you know, don't. It worked for all those foreign dubbers."
FUNi didn't try to Americanize it. Saban did.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:46 am

To be honest Funi has proven like other companies that they are capable of releasing their series unedited, consistantly, with a decent number of episodes and extras with them. Yet Dragonball still to this day has not been given this.

Dragonball has a few problems but they're not from Funi so can't blame them for that.

GT had only one stupid thing and that was the lost episodes but we still got the series complete. I just wish they would put more episodes on the dvds. If Dragonball can have eight episodes on a dvd GT should too. You know keep it consistant. Plus with eight episodes on a dvd GT would only be eight volumes. They could have released it in one box, the complete series.

Z on the other hand is really the only thing I think most fans are mad at funimation for ruining. I mean look at what they're doing. They had a good thing going with the UUC's. Now we're being screwed over with the widescreen. Z has never been released consistantly and even though it is now, somthing fans have waited for, for a long time we're getting it in the crappy orange box.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:55 am

Xyex wrote:FUNi didn't try to Americanize it. Saban did.
Don't know whether to blame Atari or FUNimation for the lack of Kageyama lyrics in Budokai 2 and 3 in the US, while Europe and Japan get lyrical openings. :s

But as mentioned before, blame rests on the division responsible for the Dragon Ball series. Not FUNimation as a whole. They've proven to go beyond anyone else with the way they're handling One Piece. I can't be mad at the whole company. :(

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:08 am

And there we have our example: Saban did a lot of editing to DBZ, b Funimation didn't do much to change that in terms of the dialogue and characters and stuff... whereas from the sounds of it, they're trying to deal with all the stuff that 4kids did to Onepiece that makes people that know nothing about the Japanese version consider it a downright ignorably nasty show...
... So why not for DBZ?
(Though I've got to say... the post-Faulconer dub music in the UUE Saiyan saga ... WTF?)

Egh, though, it didn't turn out bad... just a weak adaptation (which, ok, is bad, but the show itself wasn't... seeing as it worked...).
Though it'd be plenty interesting to have a more faithful adaptation... and run them side by side for comparisons... :twisted:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:17 am

As a good friend of mine usually describes, "DBZ is FUNimation's blacksheep".

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 am

Of course, that's why when FUNi took over production fully the series became much more faithful to the original! With great scripts, professional voice acting and realistic portrayals of characters accompanied by the original score!

...wait...err, 'Mondo Cool'?

-Corey

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:19 pm

Does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that the best treated series by Funi out of all three has been GT? The crappiest one. XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that the best treated series by Funi out of all three has been GT? The crappiest one. XD

You don't think they did a little better with Dragonball?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Of course, that's why when FUNi took over production fully the series became much more faithful to the original! With great scripts, professional voice acting and realistic portrayals of characters accompanied by the original score!

...wait...err, 'Mondo Cool'?

-Corey
Totally faithful. Though I think that Japanese Yamcha sings "Cat loves food! Ye-yeah yeah yeah!" so much better. :roll:

http://yamchaisgay.ytmnd.com/ <--- For reference.
Last edited by Kendamu on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.