Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - General Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kikoha Hater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kikoha Hater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:10 am

God forbid if that was to happen, hopefully the controls aren’t as sluggish as Budokai 1 or Sparkling! and more in tune from what I experienced with Budokai 3/Super Dragon Ball Z. I'm optimistic that they might keep the character roster tight.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 am

Duo wrote:I hope they don't try to borrow anything from the Sparking! games.

Any more than 40 or so characters and I might just skip this title.

I'm optimistic again because it's Dimps, but let's not make the same mistakes that ruined the Sparking! series for me.
How is having to many characters a bad thing? Didn't Budokai 3 have like 50 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 have 60?

The problem never lies in the roster but have you play with the roster you have. I wouldn't mind have dozens of clones but what I would like is a dozen or two basic characters to clone.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Gogeta1090

Post by Gogeta1090 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:20 am

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/1 ... reator.htm

They are saying that they are trying to make a Create-your-own-character option in "Tenkaichi 4" (This game might be Burst Limit)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:31 am

Gogeta1090 wrote:http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/1 ... reator.htm

They are saying that they are trying to make a Create-your-own-character option in "Tenkaichi 4" (This game might be Burst Limit)
The way this sounds, the character creation thing will be in a new Sparking game that is separate from Burst Limit.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:15 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:How is having to many characters a bad thing? Didn't Budokai 3 have like 50 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 have 60?

The problem never lies in the roster but have you play with the roster you have. I wouldn't mind have dozens of clones but what I would like is a dozen or two basic characters to clone.
While it won't bother me to have clones that are slight variations of the same thing, I really hate the drive fans have to have more and more characters included. Super DBZ was the right direction, in my opinion, in that most every character was extremely unique.

Fewer characters, better characters. No Sparking! style rosters, please.

I never played MvC2...I know, I know. Please don't kill me. I loved the first one, at least.

Kikoha Hater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kikoha Hater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:33 pm

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 characters was diverse and weren’t just tacked on with generic moves, they had their own unique moveset characters and were taken from different games save for a few new characters. The problem lies with game designers who work with a high roster when they’re given little development time. So I agree with Duo that Super Dragon Ball Z was take in the right direction, despite having a small character roster I fond them to be well developed with a lot to offer.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Wow, they actually mentioned the Dragonball MMO. I don't like that they said players can create a Saiyan avatar... I thought it was just humans and Namekians. I hope they're just guessing... :?

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm

After reading through again, I just can't believe how much Dimps love there is here. Am I the only one that feels the Sparking games are much better than the Budokai games? Sure I like the Budokai games but they just don't have as much as the Sparking games added.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:50 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:

Wow, they actually mentioned the Dragonball MMO. I don't like that they said players can create a Saiyan avatar... I thought it was just humans and Namekians. I hope they're just guessing... :?
Even with Saiyans and Nameks running around I'm sure the humans won't be useless. Like other MMOs, there'll probably be places where each race outclasses the other two in one important way or another.

Let's just hope that whatever the humans can do in DBO is cool enough for peolpe to want to choose to be a human.
(they/she)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Kikoha Hater wrote:Marvel vs. Capcom 2 characters was diverse and weren’t just tacked on with generic moves, they had their own unique moveset characters and were taken from different games save for a few new characters. The problem lies with game designers who work with a high roster when they’re given little development time. So I agree with Duo that Super Dragon Ball Z was take in the right direction, despite having a small character roster I fond them to be well developed with a lot to offer.
Well, I think Marvel and Capcom characters are a bit more varied than DBZ characters.
To be honest, every fighter in DB-DBGT can only fly, punch/kick, transform, and shoot energy beams with different shapes and names(not that theres anything wrong with that! :D)

Meanwhile, in Capcom/Marvel, you have more varied characters that have each have their own unique powers.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Kikoha Hater wrote:Marvel vs. Capcom 2 characters was diverse and weren’t just tacked on with generic moves, they had their own unique moveset characters and were taken from different games save for a few new characters. The problem lies with game designers who work with a high roster when they’re given little development time. So I agree with Duo that Super Dragon Ball Z was take in the right direction, despite having a small character roster I fond them to be well developed with a lot to offer.
Well, I think Marvel and Capcom characters are a bit more varied than DBZ characters.
To be honest, every fighter in DB-DBGT can only fly, punch/kick, transform, and shoot energy beams with different shapes and names(not that theres anything wrong with that! :D)

Meanwhile, in Capcom/Marvel, you have more varied characters that have each have their own unique powers.
True, but if you take Super DBZ into account then you know that Dragonball characters can be portrayed as more than "flying, punching and kicking, and shooting energy beams of different shapes" and stuff. You can actually make the energy beams have different purposes. You can give different characters varying fighting styles so that very few actually resemble each other enough that you feel like you're playing a "clone" or something.

The different energy attacks can not only be a different shape, but they can be controlled to change direction in mid-air, have different effects (like big explosions or just hitting someone head-on), have different ways that it can or can't home in on an opponent, give it varying ranges of distance that it can fly based on which version of the technique you do, have it simply come up out of the ground (Bakuhatsuha), etc.

You can also make the characters move differently. If you get Son Goku's Instant Movement he plays a lot differently once you learn how to use it right. Different characters vary on how far they can dash. I could go on all day, really. Dragonball characters can be very different from each other if some creativity is put into it and the game designers decide to go beyond simply retelling the series.
(they/she)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:26 pm

If sparking 4 AND burst limit gets released in 2008, I thinkit will be a little much for even me...

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Kendamu wrote:
True, but if you take Super DBZ into account then you know that Dragonball characters can be portrayed as more than "flying, punching and kicking, and shooting energy beams of different shapes" and stuff. You can actually make the energy beams have different purposes. You can give different characters varying fighting styles so that very few actually resemble each other enough that you feel like you're playing a "clone" or something.

The different energy attacks can not only be a different shape, but they can be controlled to change direction in mid-air, have different effects (like big explosions or just hitting someone head-on), have different ways that it can or can't home in on an opponent, give it varying ranges of distance that it can fly based on which version of the technique you do, have it simply come up out of the ground (Bakuhatsuha), etc.

You can also make the characters move differently. If you get Son Goku's Instant Movement he plays a lot differently once you learn how to use it right. Different characters vary on how far they can dash. I could go on all day, really. Dragonball characters can be very different from each other if some creativity is put into it and the game designers decide to go beyond simply retelling the series.
Yeah, you're right on that. It is possible, and in BT3/Meteor, it was done pretty well(although a handful did look alike). I should've said that it hasn't been done very well in the past view games(besides SDBZ and possible B3, but I haven't played the latter for a long time)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kikoha Hater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kikoha Hater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:58 pm

I understand that viewpoint but I can’t agree with that, but be that as it may that didn’t stop Craft & Meister from making the characters unique from one another. The entire franchise is filled with characters that have their own unique powers that could be capitalize in games.

Son Goku
Shunkan Ido- Goku is able to teleport anywhere as long as there an energy signal.
Shunkan Ido Kamehame-Ha- A combination
Ryu Ken- It a punch that manifest as an actual dragon that can either coil around its bigger targets or incinerate smaller ones.
Wating Kamehame-Ha-

Tenshinhan
Taiyoken- Tenshinhan can blind opponents with this move, Goku and Kuririn also share this move.
Shiyoken- Tenshinhan grows an extra par of arms.
Shi Shin no Ken- Tenshinhan creates duplicates of himself having to divide his overall power among his clones.

Kuririn
Kienzan- Kuririn creates a razor edged disc that’s capable of cutting its opponents.
Kienzan ???- Kuririn fires off one regular sized Kienzan that splits off into dozen regular size kienzans.
Kakusan Kikoha- Kuririn fires off a energy blast that breaks into several blasts.
Bushin- Is able to create duplicates of himself.

Freeza
Imprisonment Ball- Freeza traps his enemies in a paralyzing ball which leaves them at his mercy.
Pyschokinesis- Freeza uses telekinesis to uses to manipulate rocks and boulders.

Gurd
Time Stop-
Paralyzing Technique-

Commander Ginyu
Body Change- Nuff said.

Garlic Jr.
Dead Zone- Creates a vortex that sends it victims into a cold hellish dimension (no it doesn’t trap them in an f@#&ing).
Imprisonment Technique- Garlic Jr. shrinks his enemies and seals them in a glass jar.

Dabura
Seki Katsuba- He spits on his enemies to turn them into stone.

Majin Boo
Hurricane Dash- He destroys an entire city just by running through it.

I could seriously go on, but hopefully you get the point. :wink:

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:04 pm

It seems that maybe the game will be released sooner than we tought.

The German USK has already rated the game for PS3:

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (PS3, Atari)
Freigegeben ab 12 Jahren gemäß § 14 JuSchG

The rating is "ab 12" which is similiar to the American "T". (Restricted for those below the age of 12)

Source: Gamefront

Now, my 2 cents about Burst Limit.
First I was pretty excited, but then after I saw that Dimps is developing it, my mood went down. I'm probably the only DBZ and videogame fan who hates the Budokai series. Goddamned ugly move animations which don't look like DBZ at all, and almost every character has the same basic moves (with the same ugly animations). Hell, even in Budokai 1 the specials are the same for many characters.
Then this fu**ing Dragon Rush in Budokai 3. A mix between Rock, Scissors, Paper and luck which is totally boring, too long and has nothing to do with skill.
I played Budokai 1 for a month and that was such a waste of time in my life. Budokai 2 and 3 were no big improvement. Still the same awful animations and basics for almost everyone of the 3756438585 characters! It seems that Dimps was not willing to learn.
Sure, the Sparking! games have even more characters and actually some of the same mistakes, but it is also no real fighting game. As you said in this thread, it is a "DBZ Simulation". ^^

Now, hate me and throw stones at me.

Oh, wait! I forgot something. Dimps was also responsible for Saint Seiya: Sanctuary which was (surprisingly) a pretty good "Anime Fighting Game". Most of the characters have unique moves and an unique gameplay style. So, Dimps proved that they can indeed develop a good fighting game.
IF they developed an all new engine with new gameplay, then I'm still hoping!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Kikoha Hater wrote: <crazy-awesome breakdown of why dbz fighting isn't as generic as it looks>
:wink:
Why don't you work for Spike, Bandai or Dimps? :D :D

T_T I think I'm going to go and... try... to individualize a bt-sized cast. :oops: let's see what happens...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kikoha Hater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kikoha Hater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Well I wouldn’t say that I was trying to point out that Dragon Ball isn’t generic, its more like a counterpoint to those who want excuse the "120 clones" by trying to make a point that DB characters are totally devoid of originality and uniqueness and have nothing left to offer besides punch, kick, and energy blast. I’m trying to say that there’s plenty of materials there for game designers to use, again Super Dragon Ball Z was able to capitalize on that (and not just in ki department but melee as well) a lot more then Budokai and Sparklin!. Hopefully you'll do a better job at individualizing then me, I’m too lazy to for that at the moment. :)

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:09 pm

I agree with you Timo. I always LOL when I happen to read someone saying that Budokai 3's graphics are better than Tenkaichi's. My god, those graphics were horrible. The models look bad, and those damn dark lines that stroked the models made me want to puke. Also, I thought those games were slow and boring, and also more of a chore than being fun. Plus they did some really dumb stuff, like...ah...oh yeah, Yamcha's ultimate. If you don't get his combo right, somehow he'll hit himself with his spirit ball. wtf?

Oh yeah, lack of techniques, bad animations for techniques...and tedious, annoying music track (that was re-used in every damn game).
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Wow. I remember how people were wanting to get away from the Sparking format and wished that Dimps wasn't gone. Now that they're back I'm witnessing the start of just the opposite. Only this time The Sparking series isn't going anywhere. It's just sharing some space with Burst Limit.

BTW: Just in case some of you didn't notice, Sparking has no "L" in it. It's "Sparking!" like in the last part of the Cha-La Head Cha-La intro to the show.
(they/she)

Kikoha Hater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kikoha Hater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 pm

I know its Sparking without the “L”, it's just a habit ok. I'm not surprise at all that some would a bit apprehensive at Dimps, there just as many Sparking (look, see no “L”) as they are Budokai fans, so the sharp divide shouldn’t really come as a surprise.