A silly little question...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

parron
Not-So-Newbie

A silly little question...

Post by parron » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:25 pm

As you may or may not know, I am a DBZ fanfic writer who is a wee bit obsessive about staying as close to canon as possible and keeping everyone in character. I am drafting out and writing a story that takes place about two years after DBGT, and was just idly wondering:

Does ANYONE have a job in this world? Okay, Bulma and her family are rich of Capsule Corp... and Mr. Satan and Videl I suppose are rich from the whole "World Champion" thing, and I believe Yamcha was a baseball player for a while, and there was a line where Gohan said he was "something like a scholar," but that leaves a LOT of people who just... live. Somehow.

>.> Does anyone have any jobs or sorces on income I'm missing? Do any of you have any ideas as to what they might do for a living? >.> It's not really important, I suppose, but I really hate to leave out such a big thing, and I also worry that my own ideas are too silly and -- dare I say? -- fangirlish to be realistic (like, for example, a friend of mine who wants me to make Bra a supermodel. 0.o).

Or I suppose I can be ignored entirely. That works too. ^^

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:47 pm

As far as i know

Yamucha- Baseball player (beginning of DBZ, lived on Bulma's wealth in DB)
Mr. Satan- Wrestler
Bulma- Head of Capsule Corp.
Trunks- Head of Capsule Corp. (end of DBZ through middle GT)
Gohan- Scholar (of some type, not really mentioned)

Most of em you already mentioned, but I dont think anyone else had jobs. My question is, where did Muten Roshi get all of his weath if he can afford to have two other people living with him? Tournament money?

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:03 pm

I think the Mr. Satan being a wrestler thing is Viz and FUNi. I believe he just gets his money off the Budoukai winnigs.

As for Tenshinhan and Chaozu, god knows where they get their money. I know they scammed it in DB, but I think they stopped that when they left Tsurusennin.

Juuhachigou did get a lot of money off of Satan at the 25th Budoukai.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:10 pm

Tenshinhan did get a buttload of money from winning the 22nd, and Kame Sen'nin won quite a few tournaments in his days (Where else would his reputation have grown from?), which sort of explains their income. Mostly I believe almost everyone sponges off from their friends. Bulma being head of Capsule Corp., the world's most gigantic corporation means she must have quite a few bucks to spare.

And stuff.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

SSJHitch
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJHitch » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:16 pm

Same for Goku, he sponges off his 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai winnings. As for Tenshinhan and Chouzu, I don't think they need all that much money. Because whenever you see them, they appear to be living in the desert in a tent or something. They probably hunt for food, and don't need to buy anything, even if they had shops where they are.
Treading the thin line between insanity and genius

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:36 pm

Yeah, seems like the winners live pretty damn good of the winnings. I forgot the amount they win but it seems to go a long way.

Goku prolly also bummed off of the Ox-King since he's royal and all that good stuff. Chi-Chi prolly had a hell of a dowry if you think about it. Although most of his wealth was prolly lost when Roshi obliterated his castle in DB.

Yeah, it seems like they are all bums in some way or another. You don't see like Chiaotzu working a fast food joint or anything although that'd be entertaining to see him in a McDonald's outfit....him or Piccolo.
"It's all fun and games til someone spills the mayonnaise." -Edd from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:46 pm

I think everyone pretty much covered everything, but I'll recap everything with what's known "officially", and theoretically.

Goku & Chi chi: Neither of them were working around this time, and since they probably stopped mooching from Gyu Mao, their money either came from Gohan or Mr. Satan. I'm inclined to believe it was Mr. Satan; either because Chi chi asked Videl (her original reason for wanting Videl to marry Gohan) or Mr. Satan payed them off, either so they would keep his secret or so Goku wouldn't compete in the Tenkaichi tournament.

Gohan & Videl: Gohan seems to have some "scholarly" job, which involved a lot of reading, but is never elaborated on. Can't really guess much beyond that. It's possible that Videl works, but given she comes from a wealthy family it wouldn't be necessary.

Mr. Satan: Obviously one of the wealthiest characters, we know he won several Tenkaichi tournaments, and ontop of that he's a major celebrity so he probably does tons of product endorsements. (Such as the "Cell Games" movie. heheh)

Briefs Family: This one is a no-brainer. Trunks is President of the Capsule Corporation, a multi billion dollar conglamorate. The entire family has more money than Vegeta has ass tight spandex.

Tenshinhan & Chaozu: They are almost always wearing the same clothes, and don't appear to have any real home. Likely they just travel around the wilderness, training and hunting for what they need.

Yamcha: He was once a professional baseball player, but this was never mentioned again after the Saiyan saga. He does seem to make (or have) some money, since at the end of DBZ he mentions Bulma sold him a car at a good price.

Kuririn & 18: Well, everyone remembers 18 blackmailing Mr. Satan, they probably have more than enough money to last them the rest of their lives. Besides, Kuririn looks like retirement age.

17: Um...professional drag queen?

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:53 pm

I think 17's a hunter. He certainly dresses the part.

And cute Vegeta analogy. Speaking of, he most likely gets alll his money from his wife and later his son.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:50 pm

Baba is a fortune teller....weee.... :)

Dende has the best damn job though!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:21 am

Heh heh, the thought of Vegeta getting money from Trunks is funny, B-kun. "Here's your allowance, dad. Now don't go spending it all on ice cream again!" Seriously, I doubt Vegeta really needs any money of his own. He can just eat the food that other people buy in the Briefs household, and I don't think he's a big shopper really (he bought some shaving supplies in GT, but that's it). I mean, how much do you need to buy if you just train all day long?

Dende's job as Kami would be a sucky job to have. You don't really get to do much, and I don't think he gets any sort of money from it. A do-nothing job would be fine if you got some actual compensation, but, really, with the Z senshi around, the Kami doesn't actually do any sort of protecting or anything. He's just a dragon ball machine :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

vegetaSS3

Post by vegetaSS3 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:40 am

Since it seems to be the future they might just get housing from government and themoney is for extras the government pays for food and ect. It seems possible........ :?:
"I am a warrior,not some variety of flowers!!"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:44 pm

Yamcha was only a baseball player in the anime. As for Goku and Chi Chi, I'm assuming Chi Chi stretched those Budokai winnings out for a very long time.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:25 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Dende's job as Kami would be a sucky job to have. You don't really get to do much, and I don't think he gets any sort of money from it.
Dood... YOU GET A SLAVE! And he has a magic carpet too! And you can like...see everything down below the Earth! You can see chicks naked! :twisted:

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:40 am

Dood... YOU GET A SLAVE! And he has a magic carpet too! And you can like...see everything down below the Earth! You can see chicks naked!
DAMN RIGHT!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:22 am

But wouldn't you get bored looking at naked chicks after thousands of years? Wait, never mind, I already know the answer to that question, and I can't even pretend to understand why >_<
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:08 am

Hehehehehehehehehehehehe..... 8)

No... no it would not. Besides, you'd get a constant infulx of new chicks. But, if it somehow did get boring, you could always watch someone elses cable TV. ^_^
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

smokenrowboy

Post by smokenrowboy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:16 am

hah the guardian of the earth doesn't do a good job. dende sucks. and u know what kami means in japanese? it means 'god' and dende is a crappy god
Whatever happens, happens.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:51 am

Well, I guess the word "god" kinda loses its sense when there's, like, 15 people on Earth alone with god-like abilities.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:32 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Briefs Family: This one is a no-brainer. Trunks is President of the Capsule Corporation, a multi billion dollar conglomorate.
Err... the Dragon World's currency is in Zeni, not dollars. It's also worth mentioning that their value is more akin to the yen than the US dollar, so Z|1,000,000,000 would be more on the order of around $10,000,000.

Just so's you know. :wink:
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:51 pm

smokenrowboy wrote:hah the guardian of the earth doesn't do a good job. dende sucks. and u know what kami means in japanese? it means 'god' and dende is a crappy god
Hey, smokenrowboy, I recommend you improve the spelling a bit, unless you want to find VegettoEX banning you when he comes back. And you wouldn't want that, because EX's banning is vicious. I mean, really vicious. I remember when we were back in 'Nam..

Well, er, not to stray offtopic, most Gods in DBZ only distinct ability vary between telepathic and teleporting abilities. Which makes me wonder how they got the job in the first place. Well, they're probably immortal, too...
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.