Divx support?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Divx support?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:13 pm

I recently got Adobe Premiere Pro 7 and it seems to not like any of the video files I'm importing. Does Premiere support Divx? If not, whats the best format to convert them to?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:21 pm

DivX, in a nutshell, is a hacked codec; it's essentially just a really freakin' awesome version of Microsoft's ASF format (which evolved into WMV). As such... official companies don't really like to "fully and officially" support DivX and its variants (even though things like XviD are completely newly written from the ground up, they're still technically variants on a hacked codec).

First off, I'd really recommend against using downloaded footage, especially DivX stuff. DivX was never meant for editing. It's a "final export" type of codec; it's meant for viewing, not editing. It doesn't have many keyframes, which meants that Premiere won't necessarily cut on the same frame you think it is / tell it to.

You have a couple of options. One is to buy the original DVD source. There are always R2s. They're expensive, but they're there. If the show isn't even out in Japan, you have some other options. One is... well... just don't make the video yet. You don't die from not making a video as soon as you want to ^^;;. There's something to be said for waiting for high-quality source material.

I think your best option would be to AVS point to the DivX AVI files; that'll allow you to do some other awesome things (such as some cleaning filters and resizing) within the scripts. Then you can just load the AVS files into Premiere and edit them directly (which would be like editing the DivX files, only much more accurately).

You could always just make HuffyUV clips from the DivX files within VirtualDub, and then load the clips into your Premiere project file. It's almost like the ol' days of capturing footage/clips before-hand, only it's all done digitally.

Hope that makes (at least) logical sense. If you want any more specific help, lemme know.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 am

VirtualDub is god. It solved all my problems. See, I wanted to make a Naruto AMV and since the episodes are DVIX format, well you get the idea. Yeah there are DVDs available for it, but me without a video capture card, it wouldnt have done me any good.

My birthday is comming up, so mabey Ill get lucky and get a card then.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:39 am

You don't need a video capture card to get video off of a DVD. All you need is a DVD drive in your computer. It's all digitally ripped and done within your computer.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:12 pm

Really? Wow, I had no idea. That'll save me a good $100. So as long as i have Premiere and a DVD drive I'm set? One question, is there a way to remove subtitles from the episodes i already have on my PC?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:18 pm

Yep. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "relatively simple," but it's easy enough if you just sit down and give it a go.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... index.html

Basic formula?

00) Install the AMVapp
01) Rip the VOB files off the DVDs
02) Make project files of the VOBs with DGIndex
03) Write an AVS script that points to the DGIndex's *.d2v file (which, in turn, points to the VOBs)

04a) Import the AVS files into Premiere to edit with, OR:
04b) Encode "dummy," low-quality AVI versions from the AVS scripts to edit with. Much faster to edit this way. When you're done editing (or want to export), you move these AVI files into something like a "hidden" folder, and when you load up your Premiere project, you point it to the original AVS files instead of the "dummy" AVI files.

05) RENDER!

Of course, insert comments here about how no amount of technical knowledge will suddenly and inherently give you any kind of artistic qualities to your work... the idea has to come first ^^;;. But I guess you're already at that point, so yay!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:27 pm

I'm guessing I cant remove subtitles from fan/digisubs on my pc? Thats my big problem.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:22 pm

No, you can't just "remove" subtitles from digisubs; they're "burned" right onto the file (except in the case of videos that come with things like .ssa subtitle files, which are separate)...

You can try and mask them out, or simply cover them up with black borders to make it "fake widescreen," which is what most people do...

Or download the raws! Yay!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:04 pm

I was thinking of getting the raws, but Saiyaman isnt hosting the Naruto eps I need raw anymore. Ill just make it "widescreen". Are there instructions on how to do it?

Edit: I'm using Yellowcard's "Way Away" to make a Sasuke/Itachi AMV. The episodes I needed were like 81-85, and I dont think anyone has raws up of those anymore.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:10 pm

Check on WinMX. Those wacky Japanese people have tons of raws still hanging around. I've got a friend who gets the raws as they come out every week. He's been using them in a couple videos with some nice AVS script filtering on them... and people think they're rips from the R2s. It's nuts.

Tell me some more about your concept. I'm obviously a huge Yellowcard fan, and would like to see "Way Away" done justice for once... ^^.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:39 pm

The concept is mainly about Sasuke seeking out his brother and how he goes about doing it. This is my first AMV ever, so it may not be up to your "standards", heh. However, I do know all about your "Do's and Dont's" of AMV making.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:07 pm

Raws are great if you can get them. I just used 'fake widescreen' though. I didn't feel like searching for raws... Maybe if I win the lottery I can own more Naruto R2 dvds.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:19 pm

Ok, there is now a slight problem with VirtualDub. I converted an episode and it turned out to be 20gigs! I only have 110gigs on my pc so I dont have room for them. Is there a way to compress the size?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:15 pm

Don't covert over the entire episode unless you know you've got the space for it. Set the in- and out-points (down at the bottom, with those small, black, triangular markers) to set just small clips you want to export (IE - scenes you know you're going to use).

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:55 am

I shouldve looked for something like that from the beginning, now i feel really dumb. Thanks for all your help EX, I appriciate it, being a noob to AMV making and all.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:02 pm

Hey, it's what I'm here for ^^;;

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:07 pm

Ok, I'm converting only the clips i need from the episodes. Is there still no way to make the files smaller? A 23 second clip turned out to be 820megs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:26 pm

What are you saving the files out as? Uncompressed? HuffyUV? Once I find THAT out, I can help a little more. ^^

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:54 pm

I actually figured it out myself. I compressed the clips to Divx with VirtualDub and Premiere seems to accept them for some strange reason. With that out of the way, I've managed to get about 5 hours of work done on my AMV, and I still have half of the song to work on. Yay!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:10 pm

*shrugs* Whatever works for ya' ^^;;