"UK" 'SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD' IS NOT BRITISH!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

"UK" 'SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD' IS NOT BRITISH!

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:01 am

"SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD", "STRONGEST GUY IN THE WORLD" and "SUPER SAIYA SON GOKU" (yes it's called SAIYA) that were released on DVD and VHS in the UK in 2002 are not dubbed by the British!

My intentions are to let people know of it's true origins and keep them away from saying it's bunch of British voice actors. What ever happened to the stereotypical "BBC" British accent? Because this dub doesn't feature one. Not even a common British accent. IT'S ACCENTLESS! (with the acception of Bulma possibly) :?

Don't think for a second I'm being angry at anyone. Don't think at the drop of a hat I'm going to yell (or rather TYPE IN BIG LETTERS MAKING USE OF MULTIPLE EXCLAIMATION MARKS) at anyone that names it a UK dub. Again I repeat "My intentions are to let people know of it's true origins" because many are not aware of it.

Also do not think that I dislike this dub. I have a great 'affection'- as such- for this dub. Though it's got it's major flaws...wait reword! underneath all those flaws it's Dragon Ball I feel the same way
with Magic Begins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origins

This series of dubs also aired on Toonami-UK some time in 2005 and 2006.

I think the most likely place where the movies where dubbed is The Netherlands. Afterall they shared the same Toonami as the UK and the fact that the dubbing is very broken up proves that English must not be the 'Mother tounge' of the majority of the Voice actors. Also worth noting is that the first 10 movies where released on DVD/VHS there.

AB-Groupe is the company that dubbed or a least hired voice actors for the French verison of Dragon Ball Z.

Daizex lists under its music section a French CD by AB that features Accentless English voices on some tracks!

http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/music/ ... _cds.shtml

It's the one listed as "DragonBall Z (French Studio AB Release)"

If I remember correctly this Dub and the French was discussed briefly in Daizenshuu EX the podcast episode 121. Here they discussed how both dubs made the same mistake that Goku and Tullece were "brothers". Some how the connection between these two dubs was not made. Why?

Isn't the AB-Groupe name on the back of the box a dead give away of the Dub's origins?

Ok so it's a Dub that aired and was sold in the UK shops, but don't label the voice acting as the work of the British!. Label it simply as the dub that "is available/ aired in the UK" OR... the "BIG GREEN dub" as its sometimes refered to as.

-----------------------------------------
VegettoEX wrote:...most shocking in dubs like "SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD" (from the UK...
Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:That dub was simply released in the UK. It is not a British dub.
VegettoEX wrote:There is not a single problem with what I just said

Of course VegettoEX saw no 'harm' in what he said he believes what he said is correct and I am in no way trying to argue with VegettoEX; but he was, in a sense, wrong. If he was to say "available from the UK" or alternatively "My copy was in imported from the UK" - He would be 100% correct in his statement, no questions asked- no 'statement' from me.

This is a French release that features an English voice cast, that does not originate from England/the UK, and is translated from/based on the French script, as with many European dubs. 3 of these movies are available from the UK as well as many other European countries. This dub appeared on Toonami UK at some point in 2005/2006

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie titles

DragonBall

1) The Legend of Shenron
2) Sleeping Beauty in Devil Castle
3) Mystical Adventure
4) The Way to the Strongest

DragonBall Z

1) Dead Zone or The Pursuit of Garlic
2) The Strongest Guy in the World
3) Super Battle in the World
4) Super Saiya, Son Goku
5) The Strongest Rivals
6) Fight! 10 Billion Power Warriors
7) Super Battle of Three Super Saiyas
8) The Burning Battles
9) Super Guy in the Galaxy
10) Dangerous Rivals
11) Attack! Super Warriors
12) Rivival Fusion
13) Explosion of Dragon Punch

TV Specials

Z 1) The Father of Goku
Z 2) Gohan and Trunks

GT) Four Star Dragon Ball is the Proof of Courage

I Myself did not see the TV Specials and watched very few of the movies.
Apperantley in the GT TV Special the word Saiya-jin was actually used instead of the usual "Super Warrrior".

Sonsaiy said "GT special... in this, Pan, just before her heart attack says "you are a descendant of the super warriors, the saiyans" (Japanese pronunciation too)".

In Movie 8 "The Burning Battles" Son Goku's Saiyan name "Kakarotto" is actually used, unlike Movie 3 where Goku is just Goku- full stop. In comparison The Burning Battles seems to be more accurate than the earlier dubs.

Name changes, mistakes and odd pronunciations:

- The Dragon Balls= The Crystal Balls (Funny the show is called Dragon Ball doesn't it drop a hint?)
- Shen Long/Shenron= The Sacred Dragon
-Bulma= "Bloomer"
-Piccolo= Big Green (I believe this name was also used in the Chinese dub- I could be wrong)
- Dr Uiro/Wheelo= "Dr Willow"
- (Lord) Slug= Great Master Slug/Emperor Slug
- Kami-Sama= Green God/The All Powerfull
- The Saiya-jin race= Super Warriors
- Super Saiya-jin= Super Warrior (yet the Movies titles use 'Saiya')
- Tullece= "Talas" or "Terlz"
- Vegeta= "v-JET-a"
- Genki-Dama (Movie 4)= "Ka-may-ha-may-ha!" (Kamehameha)
- Kaio-Ken (Movie 2)= "Ka-may-ya-may-yarrr!" (Kamehameha)
- Kaio-Ken times 10 (Movie 3)= "Now I want... Total Powerrr!"
- Shinseiju/Tree of Might= The Sacred Tree
- Kuririn/Kuririn= Klearen
- Kaio-Sama (Movie 3): Majesty
- Muten Roshi: The Old One/Man
- Hiya Dragon/Icarus= Little Dragon
- Gohan: "Go-han" or "Goharn"
- Oolong: "Old Pal"- as named by Gohan (Movie 2)- funnily enough Gohan also calls Pic... (I mean) BIG GREEN! "Old Pal" at one point in this film also.
- Planet Namek (Movie 4): The "Unhappy" Planet Namek
- Son Goku (Movie 2)= "SonGokoo" (Barely any 'breathing space' between words)
- Nyobo/Power pole= Magic Wand/Magic Stick
- The Legendary Super Saiyan- The Legendary Warrior Of Space
-Karin/Korin= a Female

----------------------------------------

Interestingly the movie summarys on the back covers of the AB/Warner Vision DVD & VHSs are the exact same as what's featured on the back covers of the FUNimation DVDs. It uses the FUNimation spellings/renames such as Wheelo and Lord Slug.

--------------------------------------------

Memorable quotes

"LET THAT CHILD ALONE!"- Piccolo (Big Green)
"Come magic cloud!"- Son Goku
"Whatever...we should be able to explode the roots"- Son Goku
"It is he!"- Dr.Kochin
"That's super fantastic super cool! I Know all about combat sir! They even invented new techniques in Martial Arts sir! They're the best!"- Kuririn
"(Kuririn makes orgasm noises)"- Kuririn (Movie 3)
"Ready! REVENGE!!"- Piccolo
"Activation magic wand!"- Son Goku (DB Movie 2- the 'wand' is Nyobo)
"That's why you drew your antennas into your ears! You miserable traitor!"- Slug WTF!
"Not that! Don't do it! He's on our side Goku don't hurt that guy!" Yamucha to Oozaru Goku. The Guy in question is Lunch/Launch

--------------------------
What's funny is the fact that so many people bash this dub, many of these people are fans of the FUNimation dub. Though I have a great love for the voices of the FUNimation dub, their script for DragonBall Z:Movie 3 was awful it was adapted from the TV Script of the Ocean dub.

In a lot of ways the AB-Groupe dub is much closer to the Japanese script than the FUNi version. The in the FUNi script there is a line about how the fruit of the tree is for Shen Long... sorry but what? Come on not even AB Groupe made a stupid line like that.

Also there is a instant where Tullece is clear sweating and he says something like "You haven't stopped me so far!"- trying to act all high a mighty and showing he's 'not intimidate'. It's clear just looking at the scene and watching it in all other versions of the movie that Tullece is clearly shocked and in fear of Son Goku's increasing Battle Power.

FUNi Shen Long said:
"I cannot grant your wish until you have given me some fruit".
Of course neither are as good as the Home Release/Uncut script of the Ocean Dub, which is my favourite (dubbed) version of Movie 3 (and Movies 1 & 2).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 am, edited 50 times in total.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 pm

You just don't want to have such a crappy dub associated with your country :P But I guess you're right. But then again, it seems to only be available in Britain. So it seems reasonable to call it the UK dub or British dub or whatever. I actually have all three of those "Big Green" dubbed movies on DVD.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:You just don't want to have such a crappy dub associated with your country :P But I guess your right. But then again, it seems to only be available in Britain. So it seems reasonable to call it the UK dub or British dub or whatever. I actually have all three of those "Big Green" dubbed movies on Dvd.
I don't really hate this Dub too much.

Sure it's quite stupid but I have quite a soft spot for it. It was the first dub that I purchased I had a year to go before my discovery of Amazon (lol). If the rest of the movies by this dubbing company were available on DVD I would gladly buy them with no regrets, though purchasing a FUNimation (release / product / DVD) is much more worth my while due to having a good English verison that makes sense, and a brilliantly translated Japanese version.

But the fact that everyone believes it's English is kind of annoying. Fair enough it has a high association with the UK and people assume that the voice actors are British because of a lack of accents. The dub resembles a basically accentless Brit, but in truth it's accentless Frenchies.

I suppose my article seems to come from the wrong direction, as if I am having a Vegeta-like fit at the people that call it a UK dub, I'm going to make some slight edits.
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:... But then again, it seems to only be available in Britain...
That's not true. DVDs and VHSs with the "Big Green dub" are long available in the Netherlands. Also some of the Scandinavian movie DVDs have this trash.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Timo wrote: That's not true. DVDs and VHSs with the "Big Green dub" are long available in the Netherlands. Also some of the Scandinavian movie DVDs have this trash.
Yes, the DVDs are Multi region. It lists 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. So there must be even more countries that these DVDs are available in, other than the UK, the Netherlands and Scandinavia.

So included with those 3 will be: Australia, New Zealand, African countries (Region 5), China, Hong Kong (etc).

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Having searched through YouTube I have located a few video clips from this dub for people's "enjoyment":

Footage from SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXe2aUxCBmI

SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD DVD/VHS advert:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_vEhflYBE

Footage from Mystical Adventure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vi5JKtb5Z6w&feature=related

Footage from Sleeping Beauty in Devil castle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TUo5qmckdQ

Sonsaiy

Post by Sonsaiy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Don’t ask me why but I have a soft spot for these dubs and the GT one.
In fact I think the sub par dub actually made me enjoy the horrible mess that was GT.
Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:
Footage from Mystical Adventure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vi5JKtb5Z6w&feature=related

Footage from Sleeping Beauty in Devil castle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TUo5qmckdQ
I really need to upload the rest of these dubs as there are some really awesome/crappy one liners with excellent/awful delivery.

More videos from YouTube

The lord Slug movie is actually watchable now!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=adEulYQEAJg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=whnuJReGbso

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Sonsaiy wrote:Don’t ask me why but I have a soft spot for these dubs...

More videos from YouTube The lord Slug movie is actually watchable now!
I have quiet a soft spot for this dub too. I don't know exactly why. I just do. Perhaps its because of its rarity and difference when compared to other dubs. Also the fact that it was the first dub and only so far being sold in UK shops.

Thank you for the video contributions :D Very good quality uploads.

The thing that confuses me about Goku's false Super Saiya-jin/Saiyan transfromation in this dub is the fact that its recognized as the "Super Warrior" yet in the dub of SUPER BATTLE IN THE WORLD the Saiya-jin/Saiyan race are the "Super Warriors". Nothing to differentiate the race and the transformation :? And yet movie 4 is titled by AB as SUPER SAIYA SON GOKU but they completely ignore the fact that he's a Super Saiya :lol: in the film.

-Edit-

Just looking through your old posts out of general interest. Basically seeing if you had anything on the topic at hand (lol) :lol: . And I'm pleased to say I found in a replie to "...Ah the UK dub" that informed me of the title for Movie 7 and I now know that all TV specials aired thanks to you :wink:
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Hey dude

You're insane. TO THEMAX!!!!!!!!!

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:30 am

ETC123 wrote:You're insane
I had (perhaps) taken this in the wrong way. I thought it was an insult. Whether it was or not, I took it in the wrong way and reacted badly.

Sorry.
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:24 am, edited 8 times in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 am

Timo wrote: Also some of the Scandinavian movie DVDs have this trash.
They do? I know some of the Scandinavian dubs were based on the Big Green dub, but I'm not so sure the dub is actually present on the DVD releases of these.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:42 am

Yep, at least the Scandinavian movie 7 DVD.

And: AB Groupe didn't dub ANYTHING! They're just a (huge) brand managing / TV / media / publishing / whatever company. Either an other company / TV channel license stuff from them (for example Warner Vision in the case of the UK DVDs, or Polyband in the case of the German DVDs) or AB itself decides to release stuff. Then these foreign companies hire a dubbing studio to do the dub.

Sure, AB is sorta responsible for many different (shitty) things of their licenses but the acual dubbing tasks were done by different companies (= dubbing / sound studios)
But it's true that the "Big Green Dub", the Scandinavian dubs...hell ALL European dubs (except for the Italian dub of the TV show and the international English dub from Ocean) are based on the French dub.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:00 am

Timo wrote: AB Groupe didn't dub ANYTHING! They're just a (huge) brand managing / TV / media / publishing / whatever company. Either an other company / TV channel license stuff from them (for example Warner Vision in the case of the UK DVDs, or Polyband in the case of the German DVDs) or AB itself decides to release stuff. Then these foreign companies hire a dubbing studio to do the dub.

Sure, AB is sorta responsible for many different (shitty) things of their licenses but the acual dubbing tasks were done by different companies (= dubbing / sound studios)
If that is correct the fact that it is not British still remains. The fact they hired companies is quite believable. FUNimation hired Ocean.

The fact rains as you said yourself- the dub is at least based upon the French dub.

I'm at least 99% sure the voice actors are not from the UK.

Bridge Entertainment from the Netherlands is also connect to this dub. It recives no mention on packaging or the DVDs themselves. It is perhaps this company that does the dubbing.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22 am

No Bridge didn't dub it. I aks tem once and they don't know which studio dubbed this crap. Bridge is only the publisher for the Netherlands.

I think they got this dub from AB. So, in my opinion, once AB hired a dubbing studio to dub the movies in English for the European market. But which studio and in which country the dub came from is totally unknown.

EDIT:
By the way: Two years ago, I started a very similiar thread:
Click!
Last edited by Timo on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22 am

Nope, Bridge Entertainment is just a publisher.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:36 am

Ah so it remains to be a mystery!

Btw, Good post there Timo. Even Bridge Entertainment's confused :lol:.

I think it's a bit of a shame that the rest of the movies weren't released in the UK. I would have bought the lot :lol:. I could have watched them on Toonami but I wasn't watching TV much at the time. Still dont' much. I stick to DVDs and Games (and VHSs).

Sonsaiy

Post by Sonsaiy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Movie titles

1: is called “Dead zone”
Which was misleading as everyone thought it would be the pioneer dub especially as it was the first to be aired.

6: “Fight 10 Billion Power Warriors”

No exclamations after “Fight” either so it’s just one sentence…
A misleading one at that
They’re not powerful warriors as the Japanese title suggests, nope, they are POWER WARRIORS like Power Rangers I presume
And Goku is going to fight 10 billion of them.

8: “The Burning Battles”
Proof that more titles should be literally translated…. And then shortened.

9: “Super guy in the galaxy”

Super… check
Guy… check
In the… check
World… damn

They stopped airing the movies after 9 but I’m sure they dubbed them all.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:24 pm

So were they dubbed not in England because they didn't want to hear their native accents or something?

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Sonsaiy wrote:Movie titles

1: is called “Dead zone”
6: “Fight 10 Billion Power Warriors”
8: “The Burning Battles”
9: “Super guy in the galaxy”
Ah so Movie 1 used the American name!. I had thought it was "Pursuit of Garlic"- Though not a brilliant title is doesn't seem quiet as stupid or incorrect as some of the other titles.

I'll add these in the list. - Thanks :wink:

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Super Sonic wrote:So were they dubbed not in England because they didn't want to hear their native accents or something?
What :?:

No where here is it ever mentioned that I or anyone else wouldn't of liked to have heared a British voice cast. The fact is that people, mostly Americans, think that it's a bunch of British voice actors just because they speak English. That isn't a shot at any Americans it's just the way I see it.

My point is to inform these people that the voice actors certainly are not British. If it was British the would be a strong varient of Northern (strong), Southern (posh-ish) and maybe even some Scousers (Liverpudlians).