DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Daisetsu » Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:Wouldn't that make things a wee bit darker?
Yes, but I'm one those nut-jobs who likes dark humor.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 pm

jcogginsa wrote:honestly that joke is the worst in the series as far as i'm concerned
Any particular reason why?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun May 17, 2015 9:31 pm

johnboy1 wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:honestly that joke is the worst in the series as far as i'm concerned
It's incredibly dark and it's at the expense of a character who ultimately, while a sad-sack, doesn't necessarily deserve to be shit on to the point of him killing himself.

While I still think the joke is funny in a very black comedy manner, I understand how uncomfortable it made some people. But for me, the real crux of it is Goku's followup later in the episode.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:49 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:But for me, the real crux of it is Goku's followup later in the episode.
That was a surprisingly heartfelt little moment in a series that (re)writes all of its characters to be a bunch of assholes. And yet I totally bought it.

On that note, a bit more jarring for me, though, was the fact that Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation was played dead straight. We have Krillin's death screams played for laughs along with Freeza's snarky gloating, a totally straight-faced portrayal of rage and loss from Goku, and then we have self-aware banter between King Kai and the narrator. Could you offer some insight into the writing process for that scene?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun May 17, 2015 9:56 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:
It's incredibly dark and it's at the expense of a character who ultimately, while a sad-sack, doesn't necessarily deserve to be shit on to the point of him killing himself.

While I still think the joke is funny in a very black comedy manner, I understand how uncomfortable it made some people. But for me, the real crux of it is Goku's followup later in the episode.
I will note that, when that episode was released, i had a really low opinion of black comedy due to an influx of bad Black comedy i'd been exposed to.

And i really liked the Goku follow up later on. And Trunks awkwardness.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun May 17, 2015 11:10 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:

Yeah about that. Seeing as how the rope was Puar transformed wouldn't that technically be Puar killing Yamcha instead of simple suicide? Just asking.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:Yeah about that. Seeing as how the rope was Puar transformed wouldn't that technically be Puar killing Yamcha instead of simple suicide? Just asking.
Most like assisted suicide.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:Yeah about that. Seeing as how the rope was Puar transformed wouldn't that technically be Puar killing Yamcha instead of simple suicide? Just asking.
To slightly change the qoute "I can't believe they're having this conversation"
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon May 18, 2015 1:53 am

Vegitofaxx wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
To slightly change the qoute "I can't believe they're having this conversation"
Me neither. XD

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 am

Personally, I found the Yamcha joke tasteless and unfunny. Not that suicide jokes can't be funny, there's plenty that are (to me at least). But I felt that this was unnecessary and was just there for "shock value". Also, the set up wasn't worth the payoff with Goku later on. Though, I admit, it was funny that there was no Yamcha in "The History of Trunks".

I always find the best jokes to be the ones for the hardcore fans.

"Are you Son Wukong?"
"I used to be inlove with a little indian boy"
"Cat loves food"
"Are you a brilliant scientist?"
"Sad for you"
"Nothing. Just...nostalgia"
"Go teach a dinosaur to ride a ball/ I'd love to see your dinosaur...it does what?"
"...then I'm a park ranger"
etc. etc.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 18, 2015 7:51 am

The park ranger one isn't really for hardcore fans, as both the anime and manga imply this heavily.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 am

Doctor. wrote:The park ranger one isn't really for hardcore fans, as both the anime and manga imply this heavily.
In the manga, we just see him standing on a rustic scenery with a rifle. That's not enough to imply that he is working as a park ranger. Not to mention that the scene was thought up for Lunch, and then she was replaced with #17 because Toriyama feared people didn't remember her.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 am

rereboy wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The park ranger one isn't really for hardcore fans, as both the anime and manga imply this heavily.
In the manga, we just see him standing on a rustic scenery with a rifle. That's not enough to imply that he is working as a park ranger. Not to mention that the scene was thought up for Lunch, and then she was replaced with #17 because Toriyama feared people didn't remember her.
Toriyama worried about the fans forgetting? That probably the most bass ackwards AT thing I've ever heard :lol:
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 am

MarCas92 wrote: "Cat loves food"
How that quote is only for hardcore fans to understand?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 18, 2015 9:59 am

Vegitofaxx wrote: Toriyama worried about the fans forgetting? That probably the most bass ackwards AT thing I've ever heard :lol:
He probably worried that fans were as forgetful as him :lol:. But yeah, the scene was originally intended to be for Lunch. Even what #17 says ("it's been a long time since I heard that voice"), referring to Goku, makes much more sense if it was Lunch saying it.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 am

rereboy wrote:
Vegitofaxx wrote: Toriyama worried about the fans forgetting? That probably the most bass ackwards AT thing I've ever heard :lol:
He probably worried that fans were as forgetful as him :lol:. But yeah, the scene was originally intended to be for Lunch. Even what #17 says ("it's been a long time since I heard that voice"), referring to Goku, makes much more sense if it was Lunch saying it.
Did #17 even ever hear Son Goku? :lol:

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 am

^Before that point, he didn't meet him. However, he was reprogrammed to kill him, so it's more than likely that he knows what he both looks and sounds like.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^Before that point, he didn't meet him. However, he was reprogrammed to kill him, so it's more than likely that he knows what he both looks and sounds like.
Which only makes you wonder why he didn't go after Goku after he was brought back to life. Guess #17 thought, "Fuck it. I'm too young looking for this shit. I already died once from getting involved with Goku and his friends, I'm not going through that again. Park Ranger for life!"

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

A little while ago a thought came to me that made me laugh and excited. If TFS does do the Majin Buu saga I wonder how they'll do the "Kurrin telling Goku about being married to #18 and having a kid." I bet it will be hilarious and even contribute to "Kurrin's Owned Count."

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon May 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Wouldn't being married and having a kid deduct from the owned count, if anything?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147