DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:33 am

Kaiser Neko and his team has made it clear multiple times that continuing with DBZA is untenable. If your argument is 'the new stuff isn't working, go back to the old stuff,' your head is thicker than titanium, and your mouth runs longer than cheese. And you all can count views all you want. Only TFS knows if they're breaking even, in the black, or in the red, since as a company, they have all that information. Everyone here not named Kaiser Neko should shut up because they know jack.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:13 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:33 amEveryone here not named Kaiser Neko should shut up because they know jack.
If I didn't know any better I'd think you were either their lawyer or have stocks invested in them.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:06 am

Something to bear in mind is that DBZA also became a legitimate legal and financial risk as things went on.

The latest episodes in particular skirted the line where they could've risked being taken down permanently.

If it's a choice between these people potentially losing their entire livelihoods or making do with other less popular content, I'd easily take the latter, and so did they.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:13 am
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:33 amEveryone here not named Kaiser Neko should shut up because they know jack.
If I didn't know any better I'd think you were either their lawyer or have stocks invested in them.
No, I just reached a point in my life where I respect content creators instead of just bitch all the damn time because I'm not getting what I want.

It's fucking hard out there for content creators. I can count on every digit on my body who out there would kill for 200,000 views. TFS is doing their best with what they got. Have some empathy.
Last edited by FoolsGil on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:30 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 amNo, I just reached a point in my life where I respect content creators instead of just bitch all the damn time because I'm not getting what I want.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's a shame you didn't learn to respect people's opinions as well.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:30 am
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 amNo, I just reached a point in my life where I respect content creators instead of just bitch all the damn time because I'm not getting what I want.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's a shame you didn't learn to respect people's opinions as well.
You don't have an opinion. You're being a baby throwing a tantrum.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:36 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 amYou're being a baby throwing a tantrum.
I'm not the one telling people to shut up and calling them names.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:01 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 pm I can agree with that, Demo Reel was thrust upon CA viewers with little to no warning and we were told to accept that NC was dead and deal with it, understandably people weren't happy. I compare that to when Criminal Minds had A.J. Cook's character J.J. written off the show just so they could have some extra money to make the spin-off Suspect Behavior. Many fans were openly pissed at CBS for screwing over a beloved character just for a spin-off nobody was asking for, and that showed as the ratings for the spin-off were pretty poor compared to the main show, so SB got cancelled and with money free again CBS was forced to eat crow and bring back J.J.

I think NC has arguably improved since it came back in 2013, as Malcolm, Rachel and Tamara added a much needed spark into the show. I think some of his best episodes are in the revival (I especially loved the one where he tore apart that awful Lion King remake). I feel like Doug still enjoys doing the show, it just took taking a break from it for him to really learn to appreciate it again, if he had continue without stopping and never done Demo Reel I think the show definitely would've suffered. Likewise I think TFS taking a break from DBZA could do wonders and re-ignite TFS's passion.
I mean, I liked the revival for the first 2-3 years, but when he started doing the shitty clipless reviews (including the infamous one for Hocus Pocus), I slowly stopped liking the show, since it'd gone too far away from its original premise & set of rules, including one of the few remaining ones Doug HIMSELF set up when he made the video announcing the reboot back in 2013. The Hocus Pocus review was basically a rehash of the Moulin Rouge review, only not nearly as entertaining, with its message & just shows how Doug sees people who like the things he doesn't. Then the Christmas With the Cranks one where Doug gave a whole speech about how the show's changed & he doesn't wanna go back to his old style...only to do just that for the show's 10th anniversary only weeks after.
The Change the Channel stuff didn't start my hatred of Doug Walker, but it sure intensified it by a lot. I was basically done with the NC before then anyways. Some good episodes, but it's all tainted by the fact that it's Doug.
Yeah i'm not a fan of the clipless reviews myself as I felt like the whole notion of doing NC reviews of films that were still in theaters went against the whole "Nostalgia" concept, and I was definitely baffled by doing one for Hocus Pocus as it's not like it's a super-popular film that "everyone knows already" on the level of say Back to the Future(I at least understood him doing it for that awful Phantom of the Opera movie, since apparently those songs are heavily protected by copyright so there's no possible way Doug could do a straight review of that film without it getting taken down and possibly getting a copyright strike) thankfully there hasn't been a clipless review in quite some time now(I imagine because of fan backlash).

The Cranks review was OK and I liked the speech, but it definitely wasn't as good as the Christmas Tree review(and as someone that unironically liked Kranks I didn't quite feel the same outrage over the movie that Doug did).

I used to be on team CTC until I heard some other stuff that turned me off to several of the personalities involved in that movement(Cinematic Venom did a whole video on how disillusioned he was with the movement after they abruptly turned on him out of nowhere and showed their own hypocrisy by still being friends with CA members on Facebook) and some stuff I've personally witnessed. Like Allison attacking any of her fans that didn't like the idea of her editing Brad Jones cameos out of all of her videos(After she'd already removed some videos featuring him like Vampires Kiss and It's Pat), which I viewed as being akin to when all those films edited out shots of the World Trade Center after 9/11, just a pointless exercise that only made things worse, basically she'll block you and/or attack you if don't mindlessly agree with her on absolutely everything. Lost some respect for Lewis too after he took a potshot at Brad in his 500th review for no good reason. Don't even get me started on how badly she's distorted the whole "Brad being swatted" thing, which he DID NOT lie about it like so many of her sycophants keep claiming, and all those assholes expressing Glee over Brad's cat dying can so straight to hell as far as i'm concerned. Also disturbed by Tony(who tried to psychoanalyze me on social media and got all pissy at me for emailing him with concerns I had about some statements he made attacking gamers on social media) promoting baseless rumors and lies about Brad molesting people and openly bragging about it on Twitter. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'd love to show you that CV video but unfortunately he took it down.

I still like Lindsay because at least unlike Allison and co, she knows better then to try and shame people for GASP! Still liking NC and Cinema Snob! OMG the horror! :roll: . Funny how in the beginning the CTC folks were saying that it wasn't about attacking Doug and co but rather about getting the truth out, so much for that stance.

Honestly I think Doug as been handling this a lot more maturely then many of the CTC folks have, as he seems to have moved on from the controversy(apart from a few minor references in a few episodes which if you're not intimately familiar with the controversy you won't realize what it's about) whereas people like Allison can't seem to let it go and will often randomly insult Doug or NC out of nowhere, I could understand being annoyed by people bringing him up to her all the time on Twitter, but randomly lashing out at him unprovoked is just bad form and i've seen too many CTC folks engage in that sort of thing(EROD being the worst, I never thought he was a good reviewer anyways, and this only cemented my dislike of him).

Sorry for the rambling, just had to get all that off my chest. For me NC isn't tainted in the least, I actually find it more difficult to enjoy content by CTC members knowing how petty and immature they can be(which is a shame as I genuinely loved Obscurus Lupa).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:57 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:46 pmThey can either keep pushing forward with new content or go back to DBZ Abridged, in my opinion both moves are perfectly respectable.
Respectable, yes, make sense ? not in the slightest. I just can't see how they'll be able to justify continuously relying on content that gets a fraction of the views DBZA got. The majority of their non-anime videos since DBZA received less than 40k views. That's unsustainable. I get it, they did one thing for too long and want to try something else, but no one cares. For a bigger example, look at Kishimoto. He's been known as the Naruto author for 20+ years now, which is why he tried to branch out and work on a completely different manga. That manga, according to him, was supposed to be just as big, if not bigger than Naruto...until it was cancelled after 5 volumes. It didn't even last a year. That's exactly where TFS will be headed if their content views continues to remain within the 20-40K range.
Good point, likewise Jim Davis tried to branch out from Garfield with U.S. Acres, which only ended up running for three years and it's cancellation was a real blow to him as it was a passion project. Heck originally Garfield and Friends was originally supposed to be solely about U.S. Acres, but CBS convinced him to also put Garfield in it, figuring correctly that not many people would be interested in a TV show based solely off a comic strip that wasn't that well known. Didn't Toriyama also try to branch out from Dragonball with another Manga series that got cancelled after only a few volumes?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 amDidn't Toriyama also try to branch out from Dragonball with another Manga series that got cancelled after only a few volumes?
I don't think so, as Toriyama just stuck with one shots after DB. He was so burned out from both DB and Dr.Slump that he never worked on anything long following DB's conclusion. Up to that point, Toriyama had been working 15 years straight on weekly manga. 5 years on Slump and another 10 on DB.

Toriyama's editor thought DB should've ended after Namek in hopes of him creating a 3rd big hit, but that obviously never happened.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 pm I can agree with that, Demo Reel was thrust upon CA viewers with little to no warning and we were told to accept that NC was dead and deal with it, understandably people weren't happy. I compare that to when Criminal Minds had A.J. Cook's character J.J. written off the show just so they could have some extra money to make the spin-off Suspect Behavior. Many fans were openly pissed at CBS for screwing over a beloved character just for a spin-off nobody was asking for, and that showed as the ratings for the spin-off were pretty poor compared to the main show, so SB got cancelled and with money free again CBS was forced to eat crow and bring back J.J.

I think NC has arguably improved since it came back in 2013, as Malcolm, Rachel and Tamara added a much needed spark into the show. I think some of his best episodes are in the revival (I especially loved the one where he tore apart that awful Lion King remake). I feel like Doug still enjoys doing the show, it just took taking a break from it for him to really learn to appreciate it again, if he had continue without stopping and never done Demo Reel I think the show definitely would've suffered. Likewise I think TFS taking a break from DBZA could do wonders and re-ignite TFS's passion.
I mean, I liked the revival for the first 2-3 years, but when he started doing the shitty clipless reviews (including the infamous one for Hocus Pocus), I slowly stopped liking the show, since it'd gone too far away from its original premise & set of rules, including one of the few remaining ones Doug HIMSELF set up when he made the video announcing the reboot back in 2013. The Hocus Pocus review was basically a rehash of the Moulin Rouge review, only not nearly as entertaining, with its message & just shows how Doug sees people who like the things he doesn't. Then the Christmas With the Cranks one where Doug gave a whole speech about how the show's changed & he doesn't wanna go back to his old style...only to do just that for the show's 10th anniversary only weeks after.
The Change the Channel stuff didn't start my hatred of Doug Walker, but it sure intensified it by a lot. I was basically done with the NC before then anyways. Some good episodes, but it's all tainted by the fact that it's Doug.
Yeah i'm not a fan of the clipless reviews myself as I felt like the whole notion of doing NC reviews of films that were still in theaters went against the whole "Nostalgia" concept, and I was definitely baffled by doing one for Hocus Pocus as it's not like it's a super-popular film that "everyone knows already" on the level of say Back to the Future(I at least understood him doing it for that awful Phantom of the Opera movie, since apparently those songs are heavily protected by copyright so there's no possible way Doug could do a straight review of that film without it getting taken down and possibly getting a copyright strike) thankfully there hasn't been a clipless review in quite some time now(I imagine because of fan backlash).

The Cranks review was OK and I liked the speech, but it definitely wasn't as good as the Christmas Tree review(and as someone that unironically liked Kranks I didn't quite feel the same outrage over the movie that Doug did).

I used to be on team CTC until I heard some other stuff that turned me off to several of the personalities involved in that movement(Cinematic Venom did a whole video on how disillusioned he was with the movement after they abruptly turned on him out of nowhere and showed their own hypocrisy by still being friends with CA members on Facebook) and some stuff I've personally witnessed. Like Allison attacking any of her fans that didn't like the idea of her editing Brad Jones cameos out of all of her videos(After she'd already removed some videos featuring him like Vampires Kiss and It's Pat), which I viewed as being akin to when all those films edited out shots of the World Trade Center after 9/11, just a pointless exercise that only made things worse, basically she'll block you and/or attack you if don't mindlessly agree with her on absolutely everything. Lost some respect for Lewis too after he took a potshot at Brad in his 500th review for no good reason. Don't even get me started on how badly she's distorted the whole "Brad being swatted" thing, which he DID NOT lie about it like so many of her sycophants keep claiming, and all those assholes expressing Glee over Brad's cat dying can so straight to hell as far as i'm concerned. Also disturbed by Tony(who tried to psychoanalyze me on social media and got all pissy at me for emailing him with concerns I had about some statements he made attacking gamers on social media) promoting baseless rumors and lies about Brad molesting people and openly bragging about it on Twitter. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'd love to show you that CV video but unfortunately he took it down.

I still like Lindsay because at least unlike Allison and co, she knows better then to try and shame people for GASP! Still liking NC and Cinema Snob! OMG the horror! :roll: . Funny how in the beginning the CTC folks were saying that it wasn't about attacking Doug and co but rather about getting the truth out, so much for that stance.

Honestly I think Doug as been handling this a lot more maturely then many of the CTC folks have, as he seems to have moved on from the controversy(apart from a few minor references in a few episodes which if you're not intimately familiar with the controversy you won't realize what it's about) whereas people like Allison can't seem to let it go and will often randomly insult Doug or NC out of nowhere, I could understand being annoyed by people bringing him up to her all the time on Twitter, but randomly lashing out at him unprovoked is just bad form and i've seen too many CTC folks engage in that sort of thing(EROD being the worst, I never thought he was a good reviewer anyways, and this only cemented my dislike of him).

Sorry for the rambling, just had to get all that off my chest. For me NC isn't tainted in the least, I actually find it more difficult to enjoy content by CTC members knowing how petty and immature they can be(which is a shame as I genuinely loved Obscurus Lupa).
Does any of that really do anything to cancel the fact that CA knowingly protected a child grooming rapist?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:33 pm I can easily compare this to, & forgive me for doing so, Doug Walker after he killed the Nostalgia Critic off back in 2012 in favor of Demo Reel. Some of the ex-CA creators made some good points where Doug could've done a better job bracing people for that show & gauging interest than just ending his most popular show. It shows the nonexistent strength of Doug Walker's writing & filmmaking where not a lot of people tuned into Demo Reel as a suitable replacement for the NC. So, he soft rebooted the NC because he wasn't making money.
Now, I'm only making this comparison to show that, when you're only known for 1 thing, it becomes hard to become known for other stuff. And, with the ending of DBZA, I can see how a lot of the 3 million people subbed to them just don't care to watch anything else from them. I'm certainly not saying that these guys are as bad as Doug Walker. Far from it. However, when the best thing you're known for is, basically, comedic fan fiction, it's hard to take off from that with other content. I don't want these guys to be forced back to doing DBZA for views (which is why I'm glad they couldn't make any money directly from it, as it never became a crutch for them), especially since it'd be a half-hearted effort from them. Look at Doug Walker nowadays. It took a few years, but the NC went on a downward spiral because the spark of passion he once had for it is gone. It's true that you can argue the NC was never good, but it was at least entertaining in the early years. I don't want that to happen to DBZA. It's better they ended it on their own terms than just do it out of a hunt for views. My opinion is that I think they should've done the other content in the year they took off before episode 60 to brace people for what content was coming, but this is how they've chosen to do it. Gotta roll with the punches.
Some good came from Nostalgia Critic's return, but honestly, very little from his actual main series. I still enjoyed his old editorial videos and some of his Top 11s because they have him give Doug's honest opinions and analyses about the media he covers, rather than the usual girlish screaming, unfunny skits and random crossovers. The supporting cast from Demo Reel were treated quite well overall too.

Even before the clipless reviews, I had already long since gotten sick of Doug's humour and the intrusiveness of the skits. In the long run, TGWTG as a whole helped a whole generation including me get properly into film... but it's very much Level 0 stuff. Most individual creators that moved on have gone on to much better and more mature projects, Lindsay Ellis of course being a shining example. You've still got some like Linkara who refuse to evolve and will seemingly be stuck in the same old schtick for eternity. The Change the Channel controversy revealed that the TGWTG "brand" was holding almost everyone else back, on top of revealing an unforgivably ugly side to those responsible for the site.

With TFS, I obviously wouldn't be comfortable if they felt "forced" back into DBZA. I don't care so much about the viewing figures. However, I get the climate from the content they're producing now that a part of them probably does want to come back. I honestly feel it's an inevitability. If they wanted to entirely leave Dragon Ball behind in the same way that Doug abandoned his Critic character, sure, fair enough, but TFS are still keeping the cast and characters around for the Shortz, which seemingly have the highest budget of all their current content, and the loose plot of the Shortz will eventually strafe very close to the Buu arc itself. They still have a Shenron logo, I'm pretty sure they still make DBcember lists and so on celebrating the franchise. Dragon Ball is still a huge part of their identities as creators.

The main issue beyond burnout was the constant copyright disputes and I'm realistic enough to understand that's easily the biggest impediment to a potential return. I still applaud TFS for taking the initiative to try new original content and I hope they keep up with it to a point where they can match the visible talent, creativity and ambition they displayed for latter-day DBZ Abridged. But it's been over two years and I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't really seen anything near that level. I hate to be that harsh but there's few feelings worse than apathy in the face of people you love trying to produce content.

oh god what have I started with this thread...

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:07 pm

yeah, I respect people's opinions and all but some of you either don't believe or chose to ignore the fact that returning to DBZA is not an option, lower views are preferable to lose their entire channel forever.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm

Does any of that really do anything to cancel the fact that CA knowingly protected a child grooming rapist?
If you're referring to Jew Wario no they did not "protect" him, in fact they actually kicked him out of CA once they found out about what he did, the reason they didn't say anything is because JW's victims asked them not to, so to respect their wishes they didn't say anything publicly about what he did.
YamiGoku wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:07 pm yeah, I respect people's opinions and all but some of you either don't believe or chose to ignore the fact that returning to DBZA is not an option, lower views are preferable to lose their entire channel forever.
Do you personally know anyone from TFS? Then you have absolutely no way of knowing for a fact that it's "not an option", COVID has made a lot of people have to make hard choices so you never know what might happen. Plus if they keep getting lower views they will lose their channel forever anyways.

Plus there's a simple way around that-just make a separate channel dedicated solely to DBZA, people are diehard enough fans that they'll willingly follow the series to a new channel no problem and it'll get just as many views as before or maybe more.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:42 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:21 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:33 pm I can easily compare this to, & forgive me for doing so, Doug Walker after he killed the Nostalgia Critic off back in 2012 in favor of Demo Reel. Some of the ex-CA creators made some good points where Doug could've done a better job bracing people for that show & gauging interest than just ending his most popular show. It shows the nonexistent strength of Doug Walker's writing & filmmaking where not a lot of people tuned into Demo Reel as a suitable replacement for the NC. So, he soft rebooted the NC because he wasn't making money.
Now, I'm only making this comparison to show that, when you're only known for 1 thing, it becomes hard to become known for other stuff. And, with the ending of DBZA, I can see how a lot of the 3 million people subbed to them just don't care to watch anything else from them. I'm certainly not saying that these guys are as bad as Doug Walker. Far from it. However, when the best thing you're known for is, basically, comedic fan fiction, it's hard to take off from that with other content. I don't want these guys to be forced back to doing DBZA for views (which is why I'm glad they couldn't make any money directly from it, as it never became a crutch for them), especially since it'd be a half-hearted effort from them. Look at Doug Walker nowadays. It took a few years, but the NC went on a downward spiral because the spark of passion he once had for it is gone. It's true that you can argue the NC was never good, but it was at least entertaining in the early years. I don't want that to happen to DBZA. It's better they ended it on their own terms than just do it out of a hunt for views. My opinion is that I think they should've done the other content in the year they took off before episode 60 to brace people for what content was coming, but this is how they've chosen to do it. Gotta roll with the punches.
Some good came from Nostalgia Critic's return, but honestly, very little from his actual main series. I still enjoyed his old editorial videos and some of his Top 11s because they have him give Doug's honest opinions and analyses about the media he covers, rather than the usual girlish screaming, unfunny skits and random crossovers. The supporting cast from Demo Reel were treated quite well overall too.

Even before the clipless reviews, I had already long since gotten sick of Doug's humour and the intrusiveness of the skits. In the long run, TGWTG as a whole helped a whole generation including me get properly into film... but it's very much Level 0 stuff. Most individual creators that moved on have gone on to much better and more mature projects, Lindsay Ellis of course being a shining example. You've still got some like Linkara who refuse to evolve and will seemingly be stuck in the same old schtick for eternity. The Change the Channel controversy revealed that the TGWTG "brand" was holding almost everyone else back, on top of revealing an unforgivably ugly side to those responsible for the site.

With TFS, I obviously wouldn't be comfortable if they felt "forced" back into DBZA. I don't care so much about the viewing figures. However, I get the climate from the content they're producing now that a part of them probably does want to come back. I honestly feel it's an inevitability. If they wanted to entirely leave Dragon Ball behind in the same way that Doug abandoned his Critic character, sure, fair enough, but TFS are still keeping the cast and characters around for the Shortz, which seemingly have the highest budget of all their current content, and the loose plot of the Shortz will eventually strafe very close to the Buu arc itself. They still have a Shenron logo, I'm pretty sure they still make DBcember lists and so on celebrating the franchise. Dragon Ball is still a huge part of their identities as creators.

The main issue beyond burnout was the constant copyright disputes and I'm realistic enough to understand that's easily the biggest impediment to a potential return. I still applaud TFS for taking the initiative to try new original content and I hope they keep up with it to a point where they can match the visible talent, creativity and ambition they displayed for latter-day DBZ Abridged. But it's been over two years and I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't really seen anything near that level. I hate to be that harsh but there's few feelings worse than apathy in the face of people you love trying to produce content.

oh god what have I started with this thread...
Strongly disagree on Linkara, he has in fact evolved quite a lot and does not in fact do the "same old schtick"(Hell he's actually working on a brand new show that will air in the same timeslot as AT4W once per month), he no longer gets nearly as angry at comics as he used to(unless it's truly awful like Heroes in Crisis) and he puts a lot of effort into explaining why a comic does not work and his reviews have gotten much longer to reflect that. His reviews of Sins Past is a goddamn masterpiece as far as i'm concerned and i'd argue his AT4W movie is better then any of the anniversary films.

Lupa on the other hand I feel kind of went backwards once she left CA, Movie Nights is alright but nowhere near as good as her old show and Baywatching was never really my thing.

It sounds like you've not watched AT4W in a very long to have such an inaccurate view on Lewis.

You are right though that the fact that TFS is still doing the Shortz shows they aren't willing to totally abandon DBZ for content.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:23 am

Like, the clipless reviews are generally awful. Doug's style of reviewing doesn't lend well to doing an NC-style review of films in theaters. Not only that, but Doug only sees the films once in theaters as opposed to (maybe?) multiple times on home video, leading to him making even more mistakes, especially in the recreated versions of the scenes. Now, parodying scenes or characters from the movies only really works for Doug if they're quick & balanced with the actual clips of the movies, but long skits "recreating" scenes of the movies isn't that good the way Doug does it.

The Hocus Pocus "review" didn't need to be clipless. Was copyright really something Doug didn't wanna have to deal with by editing his reviews to not trip the YouTube bots? And, would that film's clips really have been caught if he used them anyways? It was, at the time, an over 20-year-old bad 90s film that people like to watch at Halloween because they enjoy it, or don't mind watching it with friends for a good time. And, not a lot of people see it as a guilty pleasure. Some people love the performances, the plot, the cheesiness, & everything else unironically. I hate how Doug rationalized the love some people have for that movie as, "They know it's awful, so they enjoy it on that level ironically." Like, Hocus Pocus isn't The Room or Birdemic. That's a very narrow window for HP to have, but The Room & Birdemic run on ironic enjoyment. They're not comparable. There are, certainly, worse films.
I didn't even watch the POTO review. I saw it was clipless & didn't even bother. I was so done with those reviews after HP left a bad taste in my mouth. It's about as bad, I assume, as the Pink Floyd's The Wall review, which was probably one of the worst reviews he's ever done.
I just find it hypocritical that he tells the audience people naturally change how they go about things over time, only to go back to his old style of less skits & more straight-forward gags, as well as stopping the video essays, which I felt weren't for the NC.
I saw most of CV's videos on his disillusionment. Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense on why a few of the CA members went that hard against him when he did nothing but try to spread the word to help them. It's awful.
Depending on who they're still friends with, I don't wanna readily shit on them. The people at fault are Doug, Rob, Michaud, & a few others. I don't put any fault or hatred with people like Malcom or Tamara, though their callousness towards the people who experienced things before they joined CA as actors was awful. People went through hell & they're just awful.
Allison removing Brad's cameos from her reviews is her business. If she doesn't want the guy in them anymore, I've got nothing against it. She has her reasons. Brad legit stabbed them all in their collective backs, sold them out, & deserves no sympathy in my eyes. He himself had problems with CA's higher-ups & how the movies were produced, yet, suddenly, he's developed special amnesia that's made him magically forget all of it? And then he completely disregarded every legit grievance everyone had because someone complained about being forgotten when they all went to a dinner one night at the end of one of the shoots? Classy. Fuck Brad. Unless anyone can show me otherwise, I don't believe he was swatted. Someone prank called the police saying he was suicidal, which, obviously, wasn't true, nor should it have happened, but it wasn't Allison's fault that happened. If Lewis took a shot at Brad in one of his ATFW episodes, I don't care. Brad's a dick who threw away friendships for loyalty to abusers & manipulators. Not much sympathy from me, sorry. No room for enablers in my life.
Ok, the people who made fun of Brad's cat dying are fucked & the people lying about things Brad obviously wouldn't do are awful & I don't condone that.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 am Honestly I think Doug as been handling this a lot more maturely then many of the CTC folks have, as he seems to have moved on from the controversy (apart from a few minor references in a few episodes which if you're not intimately familiar with the controversy you won't realize what it's about) whereas people like Allison can't seem to let it go and will often randomly insult Doug or NC out of nowhere, I could understand being annoyed by people bringing him up to her all the time on Twitter, but randomly lashing out at him unprovoked is just bad form and I've seen too many CTC folks engage in that sort of thing (EROD being the worst, I never thought he was a good reviewer anyways, and this only cemented my dislike of him).

Sorry for the rambling, just had to get all that off my chest. For me NC isn't tainted in the least, I actually find it more difficult to enjoy content by CTC members knowing how petty and immature they can be (which is a shame as I genuinely loved Obscurus Lupa).[/spoiler]
Doug's been mature about it? Dude, outside of talking about it on a local news show, Doug hasn't been mature. Moreso, he's been ignoring it to let it pass. Yet, he actually acknowledged it in The Wall. Honestly, if you genuinely don't think the whole "Hashtag" scene with Doug playing the "Person You Hate" with all of the imagery of people watching from behind computer screens & being on social media more than just a "minor" reference to CTC, you are blind, sorry. Doug has these serious delusions of grandeur that began almost a decade ago & continue to today of how he can't do any wrong, how he doesn't need to accept responsibility, how he shouldn't get better because people are gonna watch anyways & it all came out in The Wall. Most people watching would've gotten the connection & it's clearly that's what Doug was going for, even if he framed it in a more general way about "Cancel Culture" (AKA consequences for the terrible actions of shitty people). Not mentioning something isn't being more mature. It's just sweeping it on under the rug. Especially if Doug acts like he did nothing wrong, despite the evidence that he did.

Erod really can't & shouldn't be talking on the level of the others from before he joined CA. He wants so desperately to be liked by the other former producers. I can't take him seriously anymore.
Honestly, if the former CA producers who went through awful shit with the higher-ups wanna take pot shots, I have no problems with that. They had terrible management to deal with, awful movies they filmed in bad conditions & not a lot of time with amateurs, & other things that they all laid out in the NSA document. Petty? Yeah, & I don't think some of the shots are fair (particularly how Allison called the Disneycember reviews "lazy" out of clear hatred for Doug), but I have no problems with it. Fuck Doug.
See, you have an easier time separating the art from the artist than I do, as well as having none of the hang-ups that I do. To me, I already started to hate the NC for 3 years before & started noticing problems with Doug's writing of the show before the CTC movement partly explained why that was. I can't watch the NC for multiple reasons. It's a shit review show, I hate Doug as a person, I hate CA as a company, & everything's tainted. I even hate Brad because of how he's handled everything. I have a lower opinion of James Rolfe for apparently The Wall being when he stopped working with Doug because of how badly it went over with viewers, but whatever. I can't go back, sorry.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:21 pm
See, that's also the thing. Film review & analysis has evolved since Doug started. Even Doug's former friends have evolved their styles to maintain relevance. Now the NC is a relic of a bygone era of film "criticism" that is no longer copied as much. I'd much rather watch anyone else than Doug.
I agree. TFS being forced to go back to DBZA wouldn't be good. We want quality rather than quantity. Though I'd love if Kaiser did abridged movies of the arcs of OG DB like he said he was thinking about doing several years ago.
YamiGoku wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:07 pm Yeah, I respect people's opinions and all but some of you either don't believe or chose to ignore the fact that returning to DBZA is not an option, lower views are preferable to lose their entire channel forever.
I don't believe no one's forgetting that here.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 pm
Bruh. Channel Awesome definitely DID protect him, whether they meant to or not. They didn't disclose ANY of the details of his grooming or predatory nature to ANYONE, even just in private. It literally took the CTC controversy to get that information out. 5. Years. Later. And, in that time, several people made tributes to him, including MarzGurl who, regardless of how she's acted in some instances, basically took her "Farewell, FamiKamen Rider" tribute film back after she'd already released it, saying that she wouldn't have made it if she knew. A lot of people were disgusted that this information wasn't revealed before then. It definitely protected him when he was alive & did as well after he did. Not to speak ill of the dead, but, if you're a predator & a groomer, people have a right to know who'd care so they could be careful around you. People don't like predators or groomers for good reasons. What they do is sick shit.

See, if they made a channel dedicated to just DBZA (which, for all intents & purposes, the TFS channel was for until several years ago), then it'd divert attention away from the main channel, especially as they're still trying to find their new footing not attached to abridging. Perhaps eventually, but not now.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:42 pm
Linkara's a great reviewer. He's 10 times the reviewer & person that Doug was ever in his prime. He's constructive, has, largely, good takes, & I think his show's aged a lot better than Doug's. I also have the same opinions of Lindsay Ellis, Todd in the Shadows, Film Brain, & most of the other producers. I also had the same opinion of Brad, until he showed his true colors. Linkara's messages & critiques also make sense like One More Day ruining Spider-Man's character in the worst ways & insulting the readers, as opposed to Doug's reviews being, "THIS MOVIE IS BAD, HERE'S WHY, REEEEEE!" copy/pasted forever until he dies an angry old man. I recommend checking out the newer ATFW episodes. Seriously, check out the One More Day. It's 3 parts & a bit long, but it's a great explanation as to why it's an awful comic.
Allison, I'll admit, I don't watch religiously, but I do like her shows for the most part. I'm not much into Baywatch, but I find her riffing style entertaining because of her decently funny dry wit. It plays well to my sense of humor when there's quick sarcastic, or dry, quips & jokes rather than sketches that take too long & aren't funny. the Nostalgia Critic is basically like Family Guy at this point; unfunny, passed its prime, & cynical. Doug only does it for the money & rarely adds anything good to the conversation.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Yeah Hocus Pocus was never despised or loved by critics, it was always a cult film at best so the comparisons to Birdemic and The Room never made any sense.

I'm against Allison removing cameos because it's essentially her trying to rewrite history and pretend like they were never friends, which I view as inherently misleading and dishonest so it really rubs me and several of her other former fans the wrong way. Just because you can do something does not mean it's a good idea to do so(again like all those studios that removed shots of the WTC after 9/11, the fact that films like Toxic Avenger IV, Gangs of New York and Glitter got cheers from audiences for leaving shots of the towers in proves that studios made a mistake in making all those changes)

I still like Malcolm and Tamara and frankly i'm disturbed by the death and rape threats they got from CTC fans(and Malcolm got plenty of racist messages because of course), that was another thing that pushed me into abandoning that movement.

I was glad NC went back to his own style by having one week where he does an old-school-style NC video with just him in a white room and nobody else and then the next week he does a newer-style review with props and sets and the other actors. I think that's the best way of appealing to fans of both the old and new NC episodes.

Brad didn't "stab" anyone in the back, I don't blame him for wanting to still stick around, especially since he lives in the same state as Doug. Brad didn't throw anyone away, they threw him away because he didn't want to abandon CA. I think Allison and Tony are dicks for spreading bullshit rumors about Brad about him molesting people(which never happened). I don't think he "forgot" what happened, he just didn't want to drink the kool aid and abandon CA just cause everyone else was doing it(And if i'm being totally honest, I think a lot of the smaller creators only left CA for a few convenient brownie points rather then for actual morality reasons or whatever)

Brad never claimed he was "swatted" though, that's a myth Allison and other CTC members keep pushing, here's what actually happened:https://imgur.com/a/xnZjOqX. He didn't show his "true colors", the others did when they backstabbed him, not the other way around, still a fan of Cinema Snob and always will be regardless of what Allison and her creepy-as-hell sycophants claim.

I think Doug has at least been more mature about this then Allison, Tony and Erod have been. Unlike them, I don't see him constantly taking random potshots at them on Twitter for no reason at all and blindly insulting anyone that dares to still enjoy their content, but CTC do that all the fucking time and frankly I lost a ton of respect for them seeing them act all holier then thou and shitting on anyone that did not mindlessly agree with every single they said. I think NC is still a damn good show and I still do like Doug as a person, but i can no longer say that about Allison or Tony(Erod i never liked to begin with so that made it easier for me) I actively despise them as people now(and with Tony it's personal because of what a total dickhead he was to me for no good reason, he got all pissy at me for saying I should've contacted him on Facebook or on Youtube instead of using his email, when the only reason I did that was because I didn't know he had a Facebook page since he didn't bother to include a link to it on his Twitter profile and most content creators generally don't respond to Youtube comments, so logically that didn't seem like the best way to contact him, plus he was all "hurr durr i'm glad i'm not a gamer cuz they mostly suck!" which really didn't help, so yeah after that i'm not in the mood to listen to anything that asshole has to say about anything).

Sorry but you're never going to convince me to switch teams on this one, I already got burned by CTC once, I won't ever make the mistake of trusting those lying hypocrites ever again.

Never heard anything about James Rolfe not working with Doug anymore, I still have a ton of respect for James and I still like AVGN.

I don't think NC is a "relic" at all and Doug has in fact evolved his style considerably since he started, he's gotten more in-depth and he's been more accepting of other people enjoying a film even if he does not personally like it.

No i'm not "blind" at all just because i'm not jumping on the hate brigade for The Wall review like everyone else(honestly I didn't think it was close to being the worst thing ever, probably because I was never that big of a Pink Floyd fan, so I never viewed The Wall as some unassailable masterpiece like others did).

I think the CTCers are the ones with true "delusions of grandeur" here, convinced they are better off having left CA when that's certainly not true for all of them(even before Allison outed herself as frankly a smug arrogant asshole, I already was losing interest in her content).

No they didn't protect JW, they kicked him out once his victims brought his actions to their attention and chose not to tell anyone else after the victims specifically asked them not to.

Also Doug's reviews are far then just "this movie is bad REEEEEE!"(BTW the REEEEEE thing is often used by alt-right shitheads online to mock people with autism like myself just so you know, so you might not want to use that term anymore) there are several reviews where he talks about films that are almost good but not quite there(Man on the Moon) and ones he likes despite others not liking them(Hook). People that think all Doug does is shit on bad films are people who haven't regularly watched his content much or in a very long time IMO.

I'm a big Family Guy fan and I don't think that show is passed it's prime at all so that may explain why I still watch NC and don't see it as cynical at all, I think Doug genuinely enjoys doing it and I don't get the sense that it's only about money for him at all and I think he does add plenty of good things to the conversation.

I have seen Linkara's One More Day review and really enjoyed it, and I think Doug has done similar great reviews in that style(his video tearing apart that horrendous Nutcracker 3-D film is one of my favorites that he's done).

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

If you're referring to Jew Wario no they did not "protect" him, in fact they actually kicked him out of CA once they found out about what he did, the reason they didn't say anything is because JW's victims asked them not to, so to respect their wishes they didn't say anything publicly about what he did.
YamiGoku wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:07 pm yeah, I respect people's opinions and all but some of you either don't believe or chose to ignore the fact that returning to DBZA is not an option, lower views are preferable to lose their entire channel forever.
Do you personally know anyone from TFS? Then you have absolutely no way of knowing for a fact that it's "not an option", COVID has made a lot of people have to make hard choices so you never know what might happen. Plus if they keep getting lower views they will lose their channel forever anyways.

Plus there's a simple way around that-just make a separate channel dedicated solely to DBZA, people are diehard enough fans that they'll willingly follow the series to a new channel no problem and it'll get just as many views as before or maybe more.
No, but, I watch their streams on twitch, and there they have said 2-3 times that even if they weren't burned out, now the situation with youtube and the copyright strikes is even worse, and if they continue they risk losing their channel so its not worth it.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

No, but, I watch their streams on twitch, and there they have said 2-3 times that even if they weren't burned out, now the situation with youtube and the copyright strikes is even worse, and if they continue they risk losing their channel so its not worth it.
When exactly did they say that though? Was that before the Pandemic hit?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

When exactly did they say that though? Was that before the Pandemic hit?
I dont remember, I think the first time was the stream when they debuted Dieseldust, but i'm not sure.
also if you watch the more recent streams like the movie maraton and the DR. stone one, they seem optimistic on what they are doing now, they look content on the new shows and they want to do more new stuff, or at last thats what I see.
idk maybe they are struggling and they dont want to show it, but i doubt it.