Genki vs Energy

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Genki vs Energy

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:02 pm

Here's something I've noticed. The "Genki Dama" ends up translating to Energy Bomb/Ball/Blast/Thing, right? Yet, in almost every case where Goku is gathering energy for the Genki Dama or the Androids are stealing it, they always use the English word 'energy' (though the pronounce it 'en-ehr-gi' with a hard g) rather than 'genki'. Why is that, exactly?
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Well, because the word "genki" doesn't really mean energy. It's more accurate translation is "spirit" or even more referring to good health. So for them to just say "energy" it's just a more accurate and direct description of what they mean.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:19 am

The Genki Dama is a huge ball made of ki gathered from a bunch of people, so Son Goku always asks for energy because Ki means life force, which is your bodies source of power. And energy means source of power, making Ki energy.

Also, Genki could be translated as health (or something) and is used a lot as a sort of "How are you?" or "Farewell."
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Genki Dama = Spirit Bomb.

Refresh my memory, could 13-15 absorb energy like 19 and 20?

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:27 pm

I don't recall off hand, but I was about to watch movie 7 anyhow, so I'll let you know in a few minutes for sure :P

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:20 pm

No. 13-15 were not energy absorbing models.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:55 pm

Yeah, he's right. No energy absorption whatsoever. #15 has a flask tho. I mean, that's pretty cool, right? C'mon, it's a -flask-. Think about the staggering implications of that! FLASK

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:13 am

SDHero wrote:Yeah, he's right. No energy absorption whatsoever. #15 has a flask tho. I mean, that's pretty cool, right? C'mon, it's a -flask-. Think about the staggering implications of that! FLASK
Ah yes, instead of energy absorbtion he had...alcohol absorbtion :P

-Corey

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:18 am

Except that's not unique. Humans can do that too. :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:37 am

I think he was the same type of robot as Bender from Futurama, what with the constant alcohol consumption and whatnot.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:42 am

Mizugi wrote:I think he was the same type of robot as Bender from Futurama, what with the constant alcohol consumption and whatnot.
Dammit, I was just about to make the same kind of joke/reference >.< Hehe.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:27 pm

Speaking of the Androids, I was just thinking how Dr. Gero's plans really suck -a lot. I mean, in order for #13 to reach his full capacity, he has to absorb some parts from #'s 14 and 15 once they've been destroyed. Meanwhile Cell can't achieve his perfect form without absorbing two Androids that were produced 20 years ago. Mechanical genius, sure, but not a strategic mastermind, this guy.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:36 pm

It enables him to send out progressively stronger and stronger bad guys, giving the good guys enough time to themselves get progressively stronger and stronger. This enables MAXIMUM DRAMA!

If he'd sent out Perfect Cell straight away, or if Freeza hadn't been wandering around in "gay midget" form, or if Vegeta had just got off his arse and killed everyone himself, then the bad guys would have won. So hooray for villian supidity!
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]