Are they going to re-release DBGT Final Bout?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:34 pm

Not french.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:31 pm

To me, it sounds like heavy gibberish coming out of a japanese tongue :lol:

I could actually immitate Recoom's japanese voice, but anything I say will sound like just that - a bunch of gibberish, wtf is dat...forget about Dre.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:51 pm

I GOT IT!!!!

Thankfully, my Grandmother was kind enough to get it for me, so kudos to the Greatest Generation!! And ladies and gentlemen, that... cover art is great... I guess...

Let's face it, we all know it's relatively bad, but after shirking homework to play it for four hours, I fell in love with it all over again! You see, I used to rent this game every once in a while back during the dark times (between seasons 2 and 3). I, not having the internet yet, was puzzled by:

a.) Who the HFIL Pan, Trunks, Cell, Majin Boo, Super Vegetto and Super Baby were.
b.) Why Gohan aged fifteen years.
c.) Why Frieza looked so different.
d.) Why Little Goku (apparently from the first 13 eps. of DB, I thought) was in there.
e.) Why Little Goku could go Super Saiyan (the look of which was totally new to me).
f.) What the difference between "Super Saiyan" and "Super" was (apparently which series the character is from).
g.) What a Super Saiyan 4 was, and why it had a moving sausage link tied to it's belt.
h.) Why the voices were different (oh so horribly different at that).

But I didn't care, I loved it. Being too young to have ever played, or been interested in, Dragon Power, this was my first DB gaming experience, and I was grateful. I looked for a reasonably priced one for years after Blockbuster dropped it, and now my search is at an end.

And they left the awful voices in! Hey, VegettoEX, maybe you should add the cast list from this game in your trivia section as the "(Thankfully) Lost American Dub Voices!" Sound good?
Last edited by johnboy1 on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:55 pm

Hah, so it still has the original 1997 Bandai dub? That's freakin' awesome. I heard that Kyle Hebert said it wouldn't have a dub at all; guess that was wrong! That's so silly... way to confuse your fans, FUNimation !! :D

Unless I'm reading you wrong, or something. Mine hasn't shipped yet. I'm cheap and went for the 4-12 day shipping.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:00 pm

Yes, by "awful voices," I did, indeed, mean the original Ban Dai dub, so you read me right!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:24 am

I swear, I would buy this game just for those awful voices, but seeing I own the game in Japanese... I get the amusement of enjoying Kid Buu's monkey noises and Freeza's "Japanese-Italian Mobster" voice.

I should record some of the japanese voices when they say something funny, like I could of sworn Freeza said "Would you like some coco?" or Piccolo and his "Your a schubby booby bubba!"

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:37 am

I just received this ad for Final Bout in my mailbox. Maybe this will help folks entering the contest being run on this site, because did FUNimation EVER skirt the issue of it being total, infinite crap.

"Atari today announced that the Company will re-release Dragon Ball GT® Final Bout for the PlayStation® computer entertainment system. Originally released in limited quantities in 1997 and coveted by collectors, Dragon Ball GT®: Final Bout will be authentically recreated in its entirety for release in late August."

("Authentically recreated" means "so blame Bandai if you're gullible enough to buy this.")

“Between the nostalgia and demand for retro games, and the impressive success of our own Dragon Ball Z® video games, we believe that the time is right to re-release this game,” said Nancy MacIntyre, vice president of Marketing and Public Relations for Atari’s Beverly Studio."

(Oh, yeah. Blame this on the recent pop culture retro trends. No, this isn't just a cheap cash-in. No, sir. Not this game. Nope.)

"Very limited quantities of Final Bout were produced when the game first launched, resulting in what has become a rare, collectible item for fans of the Dragon Ball® franchise."

(It was the ONLY DRAGONBALL Z GAME over here, you tools. Who needs your crap now with Budoukai?)

"The re-release of Final Bout will include the original game..."

(Damn.)

"...exactly as it was first released in 1997. In order to differentiate the re-release from the original, the re-launched version will feature all-new packaging artwork designed exclusively for the 2004 edition by TOEI ANIMATION."

(Woo-hoo.)

"Faithfully following the Dragon Ball GT® animated series, Dragon Ball G® Final Bout allows players to assume the role of 17 Dragon Ball GT® and Dragon Ball Z® warriors, or customize their own player in Build-Up mode."

(17 characters? Is this including the baker's dozen or so forms of Goku?)

"Simultaneous beam attacks and menacing power struggles will have fans engaged in ruthless competition as they battle enemies on the ground or in the skies. The game accommodates 1-8 players in Tournament Mode."

(The only thing that's ruthless about this game are the controls! HAHAHAHAHA! Yes... 1-8 players in tournament mode? My hat's off to you if you find eight people who actually want to sit down and "play" this schlock. No wait. Make that "authentically recreated" schlock.)
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:44 am

Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that e-mail, as well :D.

I've gotten a lot of entries so far, but for the most part, people seem to be missing the entire point of dancing around the bad issues. They're just... not saying anything, at all. "The game is being released! Buy it!" That's not an entry ^^;;. FUNimation did a pretty good job on theirs :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:23 am

Yeah I remember the dubbing of that game. Made the current cast at their worst look like professionally trained Shakespearean (probably spelled wrong, sorry) actors.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:34 am

Actually I remember a really funny thing about one of Vegeta's lines. He say's somthing like "I will defeat you Kakarot" but how he say's it is "I will defeat you *long pause* Kakarot" I always pictured some man knowing nothing about Dragonball looking through papers in a hurry looking for the name he's suppost to say. Listen for it next time its pretty funny when you hear it.