What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm
And I agree it's definitely time Crunchyroll put OG DB on blu-ray. Maybe they can work out a deal with AB to use their remaster.
Sadly, you just know they're gonna just repackage the Blue Bricks at like double their previous retail price.

Speaking of which, I expect we should be hearing something later in December or early January? There was about 6 months between GT's re-release and Z's season blu-rays re-release so we should be getting something from OG Dragon Ball by February.

An import of AB Groupe's Blu-rays would be ideal, but I have no faith in Crunchyroll based on their track record.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm
And I agree it's definitely time Crunchyroll put OG DB on blu-ray. Maybe they can work out a deal with AB to use their remaster.
Sadly, you just know they're gonna just repackage the Blue Bricks at like double their previous retail price.

Speaking of which, I expect we should be hearing something later in December or early January? There was about 6 months between GT's re-release and Z's season blu-rays re-release so we should be getting something from OG Dragon Ball by February.

An import of AB Groupe's Blu-rays would be ideal, but I have no faith in Crunchyroll based on their track record.
Yeah, and what do you wanna bet that they're gonna be the exact same discs from back in 2009/2010 with the same set of FUNimation trailers that were on the BB's?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:10 am

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pmI feel like half the fun in owning shows and movies is looking at the packaging. It just gets me in the mood to watch whatever it is. This is something that's lost with streaming.
Most definitely. You feel more connected to the show/movie by looking at the box, reading the synopsis on the back and putting the disc into a player. I have nothing against streaming for checking out new stuff but when I'm rewatching stuff I love nothing beats the experience of my aforementioned ritual and popping in a disc. And of course you'll never lose access once you take care of your DVDs and Blu-Rays.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm Sadly, you just know they're gonna just repackage the Blue Bricks at like double their previous retail price.
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Crunchyroll doesn't re-release original Dragon Ball at all, even for rebranding purposes. Funimation never re-released it once after the blue bricks, but they put out GT The Complete Series. I know 20 discs would be a bit much for one release but they could have re-released it in two collections of 10 discs like Madman did.

Original Dragon Ball just always seems to be forgotten, especially in North America.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:37 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:10 am [

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Crunchyroll doesn't re-release original Dragon Ball at all, even for rebranding purposes. Funimation never re-released it once after the blue bricks, but they put out GT The Complete Series. I know 20 discs would be a bit much for one release but they could have re-released it in two collections of 10 discs like Madman did.

Original Dragon Ball just always seems to be forgotten, especially in North America.
I also considered that as a possibility, that they're not gonna bother re-releasing original Dragon Ball and just decide that fans can subscribe to their streaming service or Hulu if they want to watch it again.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm Sadly, you just know they're gonna just repackage the Blue Bricks at like double their previous retail price.

I would love if Crunchyroll would adopt the mentality of "Fuck it, let's just license the best masters from other countries." Like, there's gotta be a strong amount of people wanting the AB Groupe remasters in the US by now. If they just spend the money, they'd save time, money, & energy just using them instead of trying their own hand at it, especially if they'd just put the boneheads who did the last 2 Z remasters on the job. DB was remastered into HD with good AI upscaling & got the broadcast audio finally on a home media release. It's about time we get a GOOD remaster of 1 of these shows for once rather than a mid or subpar one that FUNi tries to gaslight everyone into thinking is good.

I've gotten the rest of the Z Dragon Boxes I needed because I'm frustrated at not having at least a decent way to watch the original cut of Z. It's so endlessly frustrating that the Dragon Ball franchise is constantly shown so much disrespect by the people that own it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:03 am

So, all 7 Dragon Boxes are finally mine!

Also, has anyone else had the problem off the top of Vol. 4 being slightly longer than the bottom when it comes to the opening for the disc cases & Dragon Book, or is the one I have just weird?

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:24 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 am I've gotten the rest of the Z Dragon Boxes I needed because I'm frustrated at not having at least a decent way to watch the original cut of Z. It's so endlessly frustrating that the Dragon Ball franchise is constantly shown so much disrespect by the people that own it.
Well, I may not be the best person to pontificate about this, but despite the release of these very American Dragon Boxes, perhaps FUNimation (and maybe even some other companies, US-based or not) STILL, almost approaching 2024, think of us as some kind of "fringe" or "minority" fans? I mean, perhaps we are lucky we even got these domestic DBoxes in the first place, and never forget that they never released the other DBoxes in the USA (we never got OG DB, GT or the Movies in DBox format/footage) to this day.

Heck, I remember that back then, we did not even get the few extras that the Japaneses Z DBoxes had, such as the Bardock/Trunks Specials. That was fucking criminal. We got only the NEP for GT episode 1 (which doesn't even count anyway, since it was part of the DBox Z footage itself). :lol:

Bottom line is, FUNi gave us only the barest they could, which was actually good considering that we had been "disrespected" for the past 15 years or so, but at least the Z TV Specials should have been included, IMO.

To sum up all of that, then: my guess is that, despite this community alone having 14.000+ members, these numbers do not represent the average DB "fandom", and FUNi and probably even other companies around the world still don't "cater" to us properly.

Sadly...

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:03 am So, all 7 Dragon Boxes are finally mine!

Also, has anyone else had the problem off the top of Vol. 4 being slightly longer than the bottom when it comes to the opening for the disc cases & Dragon Book, or is the one I have just weird?
By the way, congrats for the collection! Those look very nice indeed!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:05 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:24 am Well, I may not be the best person to pontificate about this, but despite the release of these very American Dragon Boxes, perhaps FUNimation (and maybe even some other companies, US-based or not) STILL, almost approaching 2024, think of us as some kind of "fringe" or "minority" fans? I mean, perhaps we are lucky we even got these domestic DBoxes in the first place, and never forget that they never released the other DBoxes in the USA (we never got OG DB, GT or the Movies in DBox format/footage) to this day.

Heck, I remember that back then, we did not even get the few extras that the Japaneses Z DBoxes had, such as the Bardock/Trunks Specials. That was fucking criminal. We got only the NEP for GT episode 1 (which doesn't even count anyway, since it was part of the DBox Z footage itself). :lol:

Bottom line is, FUNi gave us only the barest they could, which was actually good considering that we had been "disrespected" for the past 15 years or so, but at least the Z TV Specials should have been included, IMO.

To sum up all of that, then: my guess is that, despite this community alone having 14.000+ members, these numbers do not represent the average DB "fandom", and FUNi and probably even other companies around the world still don't "cater" to us properly.

Sadly...
See, here's the thing. I remember (I think) Geekdom101 or someone saying that that FUNi had been wanting to license the Dragon Box masters for a while due to the good word of mouth people spread about them back in the 2000s. However, Toei wouldn't budge for the longest time until 2009 when they finally relented. In the meantime, we got the various DVD & VHS releases up until then. I'm very certain that if Toei gave them the DBox masters, they would've just used those rather than made dumb decisions like the Orange Bricks. Whether they would've just done standard DVD releases or did the US DBoxes, who can say, but that's the story there.

On the topic of us being a minority, I don't quite know. Considering how over the last decade & change with the rise of well-presented YouTube videos showing people why the various FUNi releases are terrible, as well as how when FUNi did the Kickstarter campaign to do the 30th anniversary sets for Z, a lot of people had legitimate harsh criticisms of the set so bad that FUNi had to release a damage control blogpost & second trailer for it that only made things worse. Not only that, but the Kickstarter took its sweet ass time making its 3000 person goal. I think there are more people who know what DBZ should look like by now than don't & would like FUNi to stop fucking around & actually give us a decent remaster & stop lying to us about what's actually on the discs. Social Media has a funny way of presenting things as they are & spreading the word about things in ways that companies can't cover up. I think if FUNi/Crunchyroll were to give us a better remaster that's actually GOOD, they'd get so much good word of mouth & praise that it'd sway a lot of people. It's why I hope they get ahold of AB Groupe's remaster of OG DB considering they've been slowly rereleasing FUNi's older DB releases with their branding on the packagings.

See, here's how licensing with Toei works. They license things in batches & charge a premium for them for no reason. This is seen with their various Tokusatsu franchises being slowly licensed over the last almost 10 years for NA home releases. FUNi only licensed the masters for DBZ. The 2 Z TV specials are part of a separate license because Toei considers them separate from the main show. Same with the other 2 shows. FUNi would have to sign 2 different licensing agreements for those shows' DBox masters & considering they're "not as popular as Z," they didn't deem it necessary to do, so they did the Blue & Green Brick sets at the same time they did the DBoxes & after the Orange Bricks. The reason they didn't is because business.

According to MistareFusion in his video from years ago on all of the DBoxes, the NEP for GT ep. 1 was actually a bonus on the GT DBox. Somehow, FUNi got it with the Z masters & put it at the end of Z ep. 291 where it belongs. Maybe Toei just packaged it in with the rest of the show, who knows?
Ssj3Engels wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 am By the way, congrats for the collection! Those look very nice indeed!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks! :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm

Super Complete Series standard edition arrived.

There was a dent in the top left hand corner but I reached out to Amazon showing this picture and they said they would refund 50% of the price I paid for this set.

Granted I already own all of Super but between the Black Friday price and partial refund I'll have only paid about €30 for this when all is said and done.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:08 am

Super Hero 4K. I must say the lenticular slipcover is really nice, and the case is slimmer than most UK releases, so saves a little bit of shelf space.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:21 pm

Got the Visual history for Christmas and It reminded me why I love Toriyama's art.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm Super Complete Series standard edition arrived.
Granted I already own all of Super but between the Black Friday price and partial refund I'll have only paid about €30 for this when all is said and done.
That is one sexy set.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:26 am

Dragon Ball Kanzenban #29 (Start of the Majin Buu Arc! 😁).

Front:

https://imgur.com/gallery/A0EX9So

Back:

https://imgur.com/a/l5bQ99R

Bought it on January 5th (first Friday of the year :)).

Super Kal

Post by Super Kal » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:11 pm

https://ibb.co/hmHCzy1
late Christmas gifts to myself

trying to collect all the single dvds, but since my stroke, I've had to take a break from collecting

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:04 am

Just got Dragonbox Volume 6. Two left to go!
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Rhadon

Post by Rhadon » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 am

First Bluray Box DBZ in Germany finally an Uncut release it only took 23 Years and it looks gorgeus, Dragon box was just way to blurry on a modern Oled Tv with 77 inch, it looked terrible.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:49 pm

I bought this bad boy at the Walmarts a few weeks ago.

My son is 3 and he loves Piccolo. Ever since my brothers gave him all their old DBZ toys and posters, he's been obsessed with Piccolo.

I wasn't too keen on the 3D animation when this film was announced so I skipped out on it when it was brand new. But enough time had passed that I was willing to overlook that in order to have some fun watching new Dragon Ball with my boy. Imagine my surprise when I find out that Piccolo is basically the main character of this film. It was fate!

Of course, my youngin got extremely bored in the first part of the film which was mostly expository dialog, but he definitely got into it as the action picked up.
After watching the film with an open mind, I can say that while I'll always prefer hand-drawn 2D animation, I respect that the filmmakers took advantage of 3D animation and did stuff that could never be done in 2D. I loved this movie.. I had a great time watching it with my son! And it made me feel excited just like watching Dragon Ball for the first time.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:53 am

Just paid for the SH Figuarts Son Goku (GT kid) at Bigbadtoystore. And finally paid to get the SH Figuarts Super Saiyan Goku to be shipped over to Toronto.
The world is your's.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:56 pm

Just bought: DragonBall Z Dragonbox Volume 7 DVD. Just one more to go! Getting Dragonbox 4 is going to be tough but I'll manage.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.