DBZ Power Coloring Cards

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

DBZ Power Coloring Cards

Post by The S » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:18 pm

I found some errors in a product that are so ridiculous, it would make even the most casual DBZ fan shit themselves in offense. The product is called the Dragonball Z Power Coloring Cards, by Scholastic. The cover shows a graphic of Goku performing the Chou Genkidama, and features the blurb "Kickin' Stickers!" On the back, there's an image of Chibi Buu tying Super Saiyan 3 Goku up with his tassle, with the words:
"Dragonball Z
IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?
Maybe...
If the Z-Fighters can't stop Kid Buu!
Do your part to help defeat evil-
Pop out the awesome POWER
COLORING CARDS...
Fix 'em up with the knock-'em-out
STICKERS...
Then... COLOR 'em like you mean it.
YOUR MISSION IS OF THE UTMOST
IMPORTANCE!"

General corny stuff, right? Well, this isn't the offensive part. What is, is some of the inside material. Inside are cards with black & white pictures of DBZ characters, with "trivia" on the back. There are also stickers to put on the cards. The crappy stuff is the trivia; there are some answers that are wrong, oh so wrong, and would make Toriyama cry. Judge for yourself how lousy they are:

GOHAN
(Q) Who kidnapped Gohan on the day he learned that his father, Goku, was a Saiyan alien?
(A) Raditz

(Q) Name Gohan's signature attack move:
(A) Fusion

VEGETA
(Q) Vegeta and Bulma are the parents of which Dragon Ball Z character?
(A) Trunks

(Q) Unscramble the name of Vegeta's Saiyan comrade:
PANAP
(A) Nappa

KRILLIN
(Q) What does the increadible energy blast that Krillin releases look like?
(A) A flying disc

(Q) Unscramble the underlined words:
"Because Krillin is an earthling, NAGROD SBLLA cannot bring him back to life."
(A) Dragon Balls

BABIDI
(Q) Babidi's father also created Buu... what is his nam?
(A) Bibidi

(Q) What does Babidi bring out of people's hearts in order to control them?
(A) Evil

GARLIC JR.
(Q) Unscramble the letters to reveal Garlic Jr.'s greatest enemy.
MKAI
(A) Kami

(Q) Fill in the blank:
The Dragon Shenron granted Garlic Jr. immortality by gathering the _________ _________.
(A) Dragon Ball *not Dragon Balls*

SPOPOVICH
(Q) Name two of Spopovich's powers.
________________ and __________________.
(A) Flying, immortality

(Q) Unscramble the letters to finish the sentence:
AIBIBD controls Spopovich
(A) BABIDI

FRI-EZA *hyphen added to dodge filter*
(Q) Fill in the blanks:
Against all odds, Fri-eza survives the destruction of _____________. Fri-eza is rebuilt by his father __________________
(A) Namek, King Cold

BULMA
(Q) Bulma is the mother of _______________.
(A) Trunks

(Q) Unscramble the letters to reveal who Bulma helps with his Great Saiyaman costume.
AHNGO
(A) Gohan

PICCOLO
(Q) In what martial art does Piccolo train Goten and Trunks?
(A)Fusion

(Q) Dabura turns Piccolo into ____________.
(A) Stone

TRUNKS
(Q) Fill in the blanks with Dragon Ball Z heroes' names:
T_ _(N)
_ _(J)_R_ _ _
(G)_ _U
_(O)_ _N
(K)_ _ _K__
_ _(T)_ _S
(A)
Tien
Yajirobe
Goku
Gohan
King Kai
Gotenks

SUPER SAIYAN GOHAN
(Q) Super Saiyan Gohan's mother, Chi-Chi is human. Which Saiyan is his father?
(A) Goku

(Q) Unscramble the following to reveal who died in the battle against the Saiyans:
OOLPCIC
(A) Piccolo

ANDROID 18
(Q) Android 18 has a brother, Android 17. Together they rule the planet ____________ with a cruel hand.
(A) Earth

(Q) Enter the missing letters to reveal the answer: Android 18 and her brother destroy the following device of Dr. Gero's:
_ _ _ _g_ _ _y _ _s_ _ _s_ _ _ _o_t_ _ _ _ _r
(A) Emergency suspension controller

MAJIN BUU
(Q) Majin Buu was conjured into existance by ___________, Babidi's father.
(A) Babidi *I've heard of I am my own grandpa, but I am my own father? What'd he do, pull a Piccolo?*

(Q) Because Majin Buu's body is so large and _____________, attacks bounce off him.
(A) Rubbery

PIKKON
(Q) Who does Pikkon battle at the Other World Tournament? __________ __________ __________
(A) Goku

(Q) Name one of Pikkon's attack moves. __________________
(A) Hyper tornado attack or thunder flash.

GRAND KAI
(Q) Of the four quadrants of the universe, how many does Grand Kai oversee?
(A) Four

(Q) Name an even that the Grand Kai oversees.
(A) Other World Tournament

ANDROID 17
(Q) Android 17 is so powerful that he can knock out Trunks, even when he is in what form?
(A) Super Saiyan

(Q) How many siblings did Dr. Gero create for Android 17?
A. 2
B. 5
C. 1
D. 4
(A) D. 4

MAJIN VEGETA
(Q) Under the influence of _______________________, Vegeta becomes Majin Vegeta and gains more powers.
(A) Babidi

(Q) After defeating Goku, whom does Majin Vegeta search out to battle next?
(A) Majin Buu

GOTENKS
(Q) What is the art of fusion that Trunks and Goten use to become Gotenks?
(A) Metamoru art of fusion

(Q) Unscramble to reveal who taught this art to Trunks and Goten.
UOKG
(A) Goku

SHENRON
(Q) How many Dragon Balls does it take to summon Shenron?
A. 3
B. 5
C. 7
D. 0
(A) C. 7

(Q) Who is the creator of Shenron the Dragon?
(A) Kami

SUPER SAIYAN TRUNKS *Note that SS Chibi Trunks is pictured*
(Q) Trunks doesn't let his father, _________________, know that he has greater power.
(A) Vegeta

(Q) Trunks and ________________ hope to prevent Cell from being born in this universe.
(A) Krillin

SUPER SAIYAN GOKU
(Q) Goku is the first warrior to become Super Saiyan in how long?
(A) 1000 years

(Q) Unscramble the word to complete the sentence:
ZDITRA
(A) Raditz

DABURA
(Q) Dabura has existed for thousands of years and is the ruler of the _____________________.
(A) Underworld

(Q) Unscramble the underlined word: When Dabura spits on his opponents, they turn into NETSO.
(A) Stone

KING KAI
(Q) Unscramble the underline words: King Kai lives in the other world with these two companions:
SSPAGROPHER & LEUSBBB ETH EYNMKO
(A) Grasshopper, Bubbles the Monkey

CAPTAIN GINYU
(Q) Captain Ginyu is the leader of the Ginyu Force. What special ability does he have?
(A) To switch bodies with opponents

(Q) Unscramble the underlined word: Captain Ginyu's special ability backfires, and he ends up as a GFRO
(A) Frog

ELDER KAI
(Q) Fill in the blank: Elder Kai rules as the ____________ Kai many years ago. Elder Kai was released from the Z sword when ____________ broke the sword in training.
(A) Supreme, Gohan

VIDEL
(Q) Who teaches Videl to fly?
(A) Gohan

(Q)Unscramble the name of Videl's father: ELURECH
(A) Hercul-e *hyphen filter dodging again ( XD )*

SUPER SAIYAN VEGETA
(Q) Which Androids did Vegeta defeat?
A. Android 16
B. Android 17
C. Android 18
D. Android 19
E. Android 20
(A) C. Android 18 and E. Android 20

(Q) Name Vegeta's worst enemy.
(A) Fri-eza

GOTEN
(Q) Unscramble the names of Goten's family:
IHICCH
KUOG
NOGHA
(A) Chi-Chi, Goku, Gohan

RADITZ
(Q) Who is Raditz's brother?
(A) Goku

(Q) Fill in the blank: Raditz came to Earth in search of his brother, who was supposed to _______________ the planet and its weak inhabitants.
(A) Destroy

KAMIKAZE GHOST ATTACK
(Q) Fill in the blank: Kamikaze Ghost Attack is the spirit version of the merging of Goten and __________________.
(A) Trunks

(Q) Unscramble the following words:
PRUSE YANISA KEGNOTS
(A) Super Saiyan Gotenks

CELL JUNIORS
(Q) True or False:
Cell has the ability to control Cell Juniors.
The Cell Juniors are wiped out by Super Saiyan Goku.
(A) True, False (Super Saiyan Gohan wipes them out)

SUPER SAIYAN GOTENKS
(Q) Do both Trunks and Goten have to be in their Super Saiyan form to make Super Saiyan Gotenks?
(A) Yes

(Q) What stage of powers does Super Saiyan Gotenks achieve?
A. 1st Stage B. 2nd Stage
C. 3rd Stage D. 4th Stage
(A) 3rd Stage

SUPER SAIYAN GOTEN
(Q) Fill in the blanks:
Goten's older brother, ____________, teaches him and Videl how to fly.
Goten wants to compete in the World ____________ Arts tournament so he can train with ________________.
(A) Gohan, Martial, Hercule

SUPREME KAI WITH KIBITO
(Q) Name one of Kibito's powers
(A) Ability to heal and transport

(Q) Unscramble the underlined word in the sentence: Supreme Kai warns Goku about AIBDBI's plan to revive Evil Buu.
(A) Babidi's
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:37 am

Scholastic publishing anything related to DBZ makes me cry. I've had this opinion ever since DBZ reached its height in popularity around 2000/2001. Fans of the show that are under 12 have ruined DBZ's reputation in the so called "hardcore elite" groups of anime fans. When DBZ went mainstream, any respect the "elite" fans had for the show went down the drain. DBZ is now in the same group as Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Duel Masters in their minds. Scholastic, or any other comany for that matter, releasing products like this, just pushes DBZ's reputation further and further down the drain. So FUCK YOU Scholastic!!!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:16 pm

Meh elitists are elitists and I'm not really interested in keeping their favor. Granted that is a horrendous bit of trivia (Krillin cant be revived because hes an earthling? uh...okay...) - but reallly, losing the so called respect of "elites" for liking DBZ isnt really worth screaming over, those my friends are elitists and their opinion matters not - for they wont like you unless you share their tastes in its exactness and really why wear a mask to make them feel special. Anime fans can be nasty, and the nasty ones I reccomending staying away from at all costs. I've had two experiences with anime elitists and really I've learned to ignore them. What with their hatred of anything American in nature, the english language and of course the fact that anime is made to make money, that shakes them to their core. They also have a tendancy for half Japanese talking (ie: "That kid is so baka!" or "EHH! That Swetter is so KAWAII!" ect) - so the moral of the story? Elitists and Elites suck. For the record I have not yet seen any elitists or so called elite here, everyone here is pretty good about just being good to eachother.
-Laserkid

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:37 pm

The "elite" and "elitists" that you referr to, are these the same ones that usually go around in clicks and are at the anime club on a weekly basis? God those people are irritating. The anime club in my school is where if you go, you can garuntee you will never get laid. I've seen some of the weirdest kids go to the club. I went once and I just couldnt take it. Highschool anime clubs are where youll find a lot of those people. Not too sure about the college ones.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:32 pm

I'm firmly with Laserkid here. If "Otaku" want to wander around, shouting "You like Pokemon/DBZ/Sailor Moon? That's not real anime. You should watch Prince Of Tennis, except that's dangerously close to being popular now, so I'm going to start hating it too", then let them.

Snobby elitist "the more obscure something is, the better I like it" attitudes in general are really quite childish. If a show you love suddenly becomes popular, shouldn't you be thrilled that all these kids are getting to know all the characters that you've known yourself for years? Shouldn't you be pleased that everyone likes the program that you like?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:05 pm

The whole "you watch DBZ? eww" fanboys / fangirls are the kinds of people we had in mind when we started our fangirl hunting thing. That was my motive, anyway. I suppose you can ask Jerseymilk or Dayspring if they just loathe people who throw Japanese words in their sentences.

So, yes. I hate them.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:32 pm

I'm lucky. (Most) of the people in my high school anime club were cool. Sure, we were all strange, but who's to say what's normal in this modern society of ours? I mean, even one of the foremost "playaz" in the school was in the club.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:05 am

My high school's anime club was more of a group of nerds who I never hung around. The closest thing to an anime club I joined was my group of friends who I usually let borrow my DBZ videos (This was 1998-2000 when not a lot of people had dvd players).

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:01 pm

The S wrote:who's to say what's normal in this modern society of ours?
Getting married in a Star Trek uniform is not normal. Men dressing up like Sailor Moon is not normal. Saying "baka" in everyday speech when your first language is English is not normal. Voting Republican is not normal. Being Welsh is not normal.

See? It's easy.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:03 pm

well the college anikjme clubs I've been to well...they had such a hatreed for anything american in nature that they refused to show anything dubbed in english at all, but you know I really dont mind dubbed or szubbed so that alone wasnt bad - it easnt bad until I saw that these were fansubs that the club themselves did claiming to be superirop to the eivlk corperate america translations of shows such as Inuyasha, Love Hina and Exel Saga. Well I haven t seen Excel Saga or Love Hina before or since but I both own the US Manga chapter of what the showed for Inuyasha as well as have seen the episode - and the translation is exactly the same thing - so much for "we're better translators" having lost that they just claimed ameriucan companies dont deserve money. When I bring up they are also robbing from the Japanese companies too and should at LEAST buy the Japanese DVDs even with their anti US comapnies shlock, and they come up with some other excuse - bottom line they had a problem acknowledging that anime costs money to make and is made to malke more money, noit top be just given away.

the OTHER one well, it wasnt abou mainstream for them but it might as well have been - for them if you liked anything more than 2 years old "you like stupid old stuff" and didnt know "tru anime" because you werent up to date onb the newest shniznat or whatever.

So generally my reccomendation for anime clubs is dont unless you yourslef start one with some anti piracy and anti asshat ground rules.
-Laserkid

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:09 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Voting Republican is not normal.
Hey, I'm voting Republican!!!javascript:emoticon(':(')
javascript:emoticon(':(')

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:21 pm

Bull Moose all the way!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:10 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Good to know I'm in good company then :wink:
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:15 pm

I vote Liberal. :D
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:17 pm

Screw Otaku, fangirls, fanboys, elites or whatever. They're all just snobs and well I dont care about them but it doesen't matter around here. I'm the biggest Anime fan in my grade and really, I'm honestly not all knowledged about everything and I seldomly get to read Manga and watch subs and stuff. Online, there was once a group of Otakus that just really ticked me off how in every sentence they mentioned how they hated dubs. Go buy a freaking sub movie or something! They had tons, so why complain? Sure, could be a disgrace, but let it go for once, geez!

I got a few Scholastic DBZ items. I only bought one for the tattoo's and I cut out the drawings so I could stick them on my wall of random things. But the quiz's and stuff pretty much sucked and had little to do with DBZ. I also got this drawing book that I thought would help me with my drawing but it was just see-through sheets of paper and some pictures. Best thing I got from that thing was How To Draw Manga by Katy Coope.
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 pm

Katy Coope is a goddess. I have two of her books, and they kick ass.

Anyone know if she has a website?

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:49 pm

I have two of her books two, I love her style of drawing. No, I dont know if she has a website but I should look around for one.
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:18 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
I am tempted to make some sort of witty comment combining both the fact that you rose to such obvious bait, with some sort of put-down of your less than stellar typing abilities, but then we'd end up in some sort of heated debate that would imply that American politics isn't something that would be very, very funny if it wasn't for the fact that it involved electing the most powerful main in the world, and my god this is a horrendously run on sentence isn't it?

Politics cause arguments, m'kay?

Also, what on earth is "Bull Moose"?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:52 pm

PsyLiam wrote: the most powerful main in the world
Oh I wouldn't say "the most powerful main" in the world.

Get it?! Two people burned! BAHAHA!! :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:18 pm

Shit.