Dragon Ball GT: Calculations and Revelations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rockman

Dragon Ball GT: Calculations and Revelations

Post by Rockman » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:03 am

Image Image

After I got Annihilation and Salvation the day they came out, in about a month I had fully watched them over and over many times, and was wondering when Calculations and Revelations were coming out. When I found out they were coming out on December 30th, I was really surprised, because I felt that was a long time to wait for a couple of DVDs.

My mother had asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I told her mainly the only thing I wanted was those two DVDs, but they were scheduled to come out 5 days after Christmas. I tried everything I could do to get them early, but unfortunately there was nothing that could be done.

Then when they were finally released, I didn't have the money to get them! I was upset because I had waited a long time for them to come out.

Anyway, I finally got them yesterday, which is something that wasn't initially expected.

I don't know if I am happy with the way that Funimation dubbed them though. I said the same thing about Annihilation and Salvation when I got them, but they turned out to be alright. Maybe you have to watch them several times for the dubbing to sound okay to you. At the moment I think the Japanese version is better.

I know Calculations and Revelations were made and manufactured way before their release date, so I thought it was a little ridiculous to make people wait so long. If you check the DBGT DVD Guide on the site, look at the release dates for Preparation and Annihilation. It sounds like a long time to wait in between, doesn't it? But anyway, I understand the reason for some of the waiting, as they have a lot of dubbing to do, so I'm not making too big of an issue out of it.

What did you think of Calculations and Revelations? Do you think the dubbing was good? Do you think they were worth the wait?

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:05 am

Is there a Japanese version on the DVD like in the DBZ DVD's?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:15 am

Yep. DBGT DVDs are bilingual, too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:15 am

Yeah, of course there's a Japanese track ^^. All of the discs FUNimation has released themselves have had a Japanese track, along with the English track (except for the EDITED DBZ movies 5-8 discs, but there are uncut ones, as well).

And yeah... why the heck did the two Super 17 discs have to come out December 30th? Wouldn't it have made sense for them to come out the week BEFORE Christmas, to sell a few more off? Kinda silly.

Actually, they're the only two GT discs I've bought, so far. I'll probably only buy two more discs... the last two. I hardly own any of the show fansubbed, and the rest is raw. w00t.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rockman

Post by Rockman » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:16 am

Yes. The DVDs feature the English and Japanese versions, both uncut. There is also scene selection, and there are extra features, such as trailers, character profiles, interviews, and the opening and closing songs depending on which language is currently enabled.

EDIT - Sorry, my post was already done when you guys made yours.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:22 am

When I get new DB DVDs, I usually watch the Japanese version and then the dubbed version with the Japanese subtitles on just to check how accurate it is. The last two GT discs were pretty accurate in terms of translation, certainly much better than earlier releases (there's no longer many instances of endless dialogue where there was originally silence). As for the dubbing voices themselves....well, they're the same as usual, so if you like how they normally sound then I guess you'll like how they sound on these discs. I do think Pan's voice has improved a bit from when she first started.

I think the wait times between discs are pretty average for anime releases. Hell, it's better for them to put out two discs every couple months as opposed to one disc every two months like some series have done (I nearly went crazy waiting for Trigun to finish coming out a couple years ago).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 am

All I've watched on the dub track, thus far, has been "Step Into Thu' Grand Tour." Greatest song of all time. I had such a blast playing it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:31 am

VegettoEX wrote:All I've watched on the dub track, thus far, has been "Step Into Thu' Grand Tour." Greatest song of all time. I had such a blast playing it.
Hell yeah. If my sound card weren't broken, I'd listen to that right now.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:14 pm

Is Funi's DBGT opening sequence completely changed (like DBZ was?). Blue Ocean uses the original opening, but because it's japanese lyrics they changed the words to some non-sensical english. The instrumentals are still there though. In fact, the reason why the words are non-sensical is because they're trying to keep harmony with the instrumentals. Well, that and because they suck. :twisted:

"It's a desperate search! (sung where the "Dan Dan Kokoro" part would be)
All accross the universe! (Hikareteku)
We've got to find them all!
Gotta find those Dragonballs!
DragonBall!
Dragonball GT!"
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:47 pm

Dayspring wrote:Is Funi's DBGT opening sequence completely changed (like DBZ was)?
Yep. And the commercial eyecatches, too. :?

That part is kind of annoying, too, because the English return eyecatch is a split-second longer than the Japanese one, so at the very end, you can always hear a snippet of the English soundtrack. It's really, really short, but it bugs the hell out of me.

*shrug* Maa, ii ka...
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Rockman

Post by Rockman » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:02 am

I honestly don't know what eye catches are.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:17 am

Rockman wrote:I honestly don't know what eye catches are.
An eye catcher is a short animation that is placed just before and after a commercial.

Rockman

Post by Rockman » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Okay, I got it now. Thanks.

Also, while we are talking about Calculations and Revelations, I like Revelations the best of the two, but there was no good music played when Goku finished off Super 17 in the English version. Am I right?