We all seen Japan & USA's Box art...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:47 pm

Thanks bunchies to both of you.

Actually, what it is, is I collect images of foreign, rare, and odd box/jewel case arts. I prefer images of good quality and without obscuring items. So it's no big deal, SonGokuGT, that you didn't find the exact ones I wanted, because you were unaware. The point is you went out of your way to assist me, and I thank you for that.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 pm

The S wrote:Thanks bunchies to both of you.

Actually, what it is, is I collect images of foreign, rare, and odd box/jewel case arts. I prefer images of good quality and without obscuring items. So it's no big deal, SonGokuGT, that you didn't find the exact ones I wanted, because you were unaware. The point is you went out of your way to assist me, and I thank you for that.
Eh, buy them and scan them?

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:51 am

This is not meant to sound like a flame but meh if it comes off like that sorry.

But notice the words RARE and FOREIGN, someone tell me how he is meant to buy and scan things that are hard enough for those of us in those countries to find never mind someone trying from abroad.

Any way Bukuu Togeki (thing i spelt that wrong) is in my opinion the best of the DBZ games out at the moment, but I can't understand a word of it as it's in japanese :(
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:41 am

Hikari_dashita wrote:(thing i spelt that wrong)
Indeed.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:51 am

Myself wrote:
Hikari_dashita wrote:(thing i spelt that wrong)
Ack I spelt that wrong aswell >.<

Well i have done worse before and probably will do again
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:57 am

Why do Japanese GBA games come in those funky rectangular boxes? I've always wondered that.

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:01 am

I think it's to do with the fact the japanese prefer the smaller more compact boxes as it tends to reflect most of what they try and do with their technologies and their minimalistic approach to things.

Though it could just be down to cutting costs and the publishers, any way rumor it has they are thinking about putting games in DVd style boxes over here.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:20 am

And they're simply better.

I mean: a US/EU GBA box is way to big for such a small cartridge, a box as big as the Japanese one is a lot better. [loves my Bomberman Story box =D]
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:46 am

Yes, but he's asking for good images from something rare and foreign so I think he can put out that smidgen of effort.

If I can import Japanese games I have confidence almost everyone here can (and most do).

The only true constraint is money.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:09 am

The packaging of video games in the US actually stems back to the original commercial release of computer software in the US.

Software (which includes video games) are merely a series of 0s and 1s stored electronically. There is nothing "physical" about this that you can put your hands on, save for the media that it comes on... and even that is not the actual "product."

Retailers and developers were having a tough time convincing people to "buy" software; after all, the only thing they got was some disks with some code... they could just copy that if they wanted to, without needing to pay for anything. In order to convince the American public that they were actually getting "something" for the money they were turning over, large boxes with lots of stuffed paper and booklets were developed. When you buy computer software, what comes with it? A big box. And lots of little cards. And an instruction manual. What do you really need? The one little CD.

Basically, in order to convince the public that they were actually getting something for their money, some kind of physical product had to be developed that they could actually conceputalize and hold in their hands.

Anyone remember the original Saturn & PlayStation game cases? Those things were freakin' huge. Luckily, as time has passed on, the public is catching on and starting to realize we have limited space to actually store all this crap we're buying. That's why things like slim-cases are starting to catch on, which rocks.

The Japanese have always been about saving space and developing "smaller" versions of things. GameCube games come in the exact same packaging that GameBoy Advance games come in (in Japan, mind you)... those rectangular smaller boxes (if you're familiar with it, the rectangular box the GBA Player loading disc that comes with the hardware is stored in the game kind of case). Why wouldn't that fly in America? Because the GameCube is more powerful than the GameBoy Advance, and obviously should have a larger case for its game (despite them being... ya' know... TINY).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:31 pm

Also, the GC needs the same size casing as PS2 and Xbox games, otherwise it's obviously not as powerful/cool/etc. as those systems. But, hey, Nintendo's desperate to still be #1, so who can really blame them?
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:24 pm

SDHero wrote:Also, the GC needs the same size casing as PS2 and Xbox games, otherwise it's obviously not as powerful/cool/etc. as those systems. But, hey, Nintendo's desperate to still be #1, so who can really blame them?
Nintendo IS #1!

*runs into room crying*

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 pm

Over here, pretty much all PC games now come in DVD-size boxes. Big games get fatter boxes, but they aren't any bigger. I hadn't even noticed the change until I went over to the US and saw all the big, tree destroying pieces of cardboard on the shelves.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:55 pm

Yeah! I love the PC game boxes in Europe! Way better than the combo "Big cardboard box + Jewel case" we get here. The Japanese Gamecube games come in miniature see-through DVD cases with cardboard sleeves, I love 'em!

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:02 pm

Yes, but he's asking for good images from something rare and foreign so I think he can put out that smidgen of effort.

If I can import Japanese games I have confidence almost everyone here can (and most do).

The only true constraint is money.
Well, that is my constraint. I'm totally broke and don't have a job. Otherwise I'd have the games myself.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:54 am

O.o Nice plastic DVD case for games ^.^

I got sent a copy of FF7 for my PC by a freind in the US that box made the postage come to nearly £8 >.<

Oh well I didn't pay for it as it was a Bday present ^.^
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:31 pm

The S wrote:Well, that is my constraint. I'm totally broke and don't have a job. Otherwise I'd have the games myself.
That's the excuse most people use for downloading ROMs. To which my usual answer is "get a job".

This is a bit different though. To be honest, I really can't see the harm in having screenshots of Japanese versions of Video Games.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:26 pm

PsyLiam wrote:
The S wrote:Well, that is my constraint. I'm totally broke and don't have a job. Otherwise I'd have the games myself.
That's the excuse most people use for downloading ROMs. To which my usual answer is "get a job".

This is a bit different though. To be honest, I really can't see the harm in having screenshots of Japanese versions of Video Games.
Yeah, I was just kinda iffed by the fact that it almost seemed he expected perfection but he wasn't putting too much effort into it.

But of course seeing as how there is a severe lack of voice on the "internet" I probably just read him wrong.

Great point about the ROMs though.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:02 am

To which my usual answer is "get a job".
Easier said than done.

And the only reason I asked is because I searched thoroughly and couldn't find it myself.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:13 am

The S wrote: Easier said than done.
Maybe with that attitude.