How many poeple have know DBZ more than 10 years?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How many poeple have know DBZ more than 10 years?

Post by shinmaru » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:28 am

Hi. I'm curious how many people know DB from the Japanese / Cantonese time, and where and how did you first meet your love (DBZ)? lol

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 pm

I remember the cantonese version of the show.

When did the Japanese version air in Japan?
When did the Cantonese and Mandarin versions air in China and Hong Kong?
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:07 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 pm

I was first exposed to Dragonball on YTV back in 95' as a child. I followed the series from episodes 1 - 13, and onwards when Z aired on television spanning from episodes 1 - 54. In 98' I was exposed to the brutality that was movie 8 without prior knowledge of what-the-hey had occured after the Namek arc. Afterwards, I started browsing around cantonese video shops with my parents, went ahead and spoiled a tiny bit of the Cell arc and about half the GT series for myself. In winter of 99' new episodes of the series were finally aired on YTV, and I pretty much followed the entire series from the Ginyu arc to the end of the Kid Buu arc ( 2002 ). I've been trying to acquire the entire set of films, and series since 2000, and just when I had an enormous chunk of the singles, the season sets were announced, and I put that to rest.

So in a nutshell, I've been a fan of the series for a total of 13 - 14 years now.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:27 pm

1999 is when I got into the series, so, almost 10 years...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Summer (or Spring?) of 2000. So I'm going on 8 years.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Mornings in 7th grade, so 1998-99 ... yeah, 10 years.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:26 pm

I actually had no idea, but I was shocked to see an old pic of myself in first grade with a DBZ shirt on, so that would put me at a little over 12 years.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:36 pm

1994 here. There was a cardass machine in a video game store by my school. When I bought all the Street Fighter cards I started buying from the other machine that had cards from a series called "DragonBall".

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:02 pm

I was exposed to Dragonball first (not z or gt) when I was 12, that was about 10 years ago I think. My local, and favorite, comic book shop played the bootleg videos on a tv in the back of the store where they sold and rented bootleg "Japanese animation" videos. For some reason they didn't call it anime, yet.

Although my first exposure to anime was Fatal Fury the movie and Kite (I know, a 12 year kid watching the unrated version of Kite. Imagine my reaction) Dragonball looked like a lot fun. I didn't know who the characters were or why they were constantly beating the shit out of things but it was sure fun to watch. I wasted most of my money on bootleg DB rentals, oh and video games, and comics.

I watched the entire DB/Z/GT series by the end 2001 before the series ended officially here in the US. Still I didn't mind watching the English dub on Toonami. I realized how completely inaccurate my English sub bootlegs were. Then again I was knew something was up when Goku called majin buu a "fucking asshole" :lol:

Yeah, 10 years of being a Dragonball fan. Speaking of shame, is there anybody here who brought the Dragonball Beckett magazines? Weren't the "3D" covers and poster total crap? Or was it just me?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:59 pm

My first exposure was Curse of the Blood Rubies back in 95, when I was 12 going on 13. Saw the first 13, but didn't really get into Z until the Toonami broadcasts when I was 15 going on 16.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I've been a fan for 7 years, known about it for 9.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:03 pm

Since '99 coming up on ten years.

That makes me feel old.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 pm

I guess Fall 96, first ocean dub airing of Z.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Not me - I've been since the Fall of '01. It was sometime in '02 when I first started working on a language for the Saiyans.
Just Saiyan...

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 pm

*coughs*

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:51 pm

First exposure like most people was from EGM in 92-93 or so.

Became an official fan in 98, so that's 10 years. :)

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 pm

97 or 98, I can't really remember. So 10 or 11 years.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I think it was '95 when I became a Dragon Ball fan. That or early '96.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 pm

1995, I think. When YTV aired the Saban dub of the Pilaf saga. Then a year later Z started and we all thought there was a season missing. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.