Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Been a looooooong time since I've been an OP.

This thread is for the discussion of: What single character in the original version do you think is well-represented in the English dub? The criteria can be a voice match, the performance or faithful dialogue, though ideally it's all three (even though that's rarely possible . . .)

My nomination is Mr. Satan.

If you can ignore that he was renamed "Hercule", I think that this English version is written to be very much like Daisuke Gōri's Mr. Satan. I can't recall any huge gaps between the two dialogues (meaning, no "someone give me a countdown" moments) that put Chris Rager way off-base, and Rager's performance feels similar to the original VA's in enough scenes that (I think) the two versions can be counted as similar-- both are given enthusiastic, humorous delivery that speak well for what the character is meant to be. I think that the English Mr. Satan is a respectful, respectable adaptation.

Agree, disagree? Have your own?

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:02 pm

I think Dabra. I'd say Rick Robertson did a pretty awesome job with him, sounding very similar to the original and catching his personality very well. I also agree about Mr. Satan, Chris Rager did a fine job.
Last edited by DBHighDefinition on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:05 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:I think Dabra. I'd say Rick Robertson did a pretty awesome job with him, sounding very similar to he original and catching his personality very well.
I was going to mention Dabura, myself, but my very own rules limit me to one character per post. :D

I think Dabura has the best voice in the entire dub, IMHO. Unlike as was the case with other characters, it was very well-chosen and perfectly utilized-- Robertson's Dabura is every bit a Lord of the Demon Realm.

~Da Lemmy

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Post by Big Momma » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote: If you can ignore that he was renamed "Hercule"
Fixed for you, those funny word filters. :wink:

My personal nomination would be Piccolo, but that is only with how his voice sounds.(I know its not exactly like the original, but it seems like a good match to me.)[/b]
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:12 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:I think Dabra. I'd say Rick Robertson did a pretty awesome job with him, sounding very similar to he original and catching his personality very well.
I was going to mention Dabura, myself, but my very own rules limit me to one character per post. :D

I think Dabura has the best voice in the entire dub, IMHO. Unlike as was the case with other characters, it was very well-chosen and perfectly utilized-- Robertson's Dabura is every bit a Lord of the Demon Realm.

~Da Lemmy
He does sound good. Every bit a Lord of the Demon Realm indeed.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Big Momma wrote:Fixed for you, those funny word filters. :wink:
Thanks, Big Momma; I hadn't even noticed. :oops:

~Da Lemmy

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:20 pm

You know i'd like to see what Mike has to say. What his opinion is.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'd say Mr. Satan and Dabra were the best voiced characters that did their original counter part justice. Mr. Satan had a little bit of a wrestler in him in the dub, but he was still spot on voice-wise and still matched the character even after that.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:27 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:You know i'd like to see what Mike has to say. What his opinion is.
He's free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mike actually has an opinion concerning this matter. :?
Tsukento wrote:Yeah, I'd say Mr. Satan and Dabra were the best voiced characters that did their original counter part justice. Mr. Satan had a little bit of a wrestler in him in the dub, but he was still spot on voice-wise and still matched the character even after that.
Those are the two, yeah. Mr. Satan was my first choice, but I've always had an appreciation for Robertson's Dabura, too-- notice how the moment someone mentioned Dabura, I took my excuse to back him up. :D

Chris Rager's Mr. Satan doesn't sound exactly like his Japanese counterpart, vocally, but I think he's as close as you can get.

~Da Lemmy

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:You know i'd like to see what Mike has to say. What his opinion is.
He's free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mike actually has an opinion concerning this matter. :?
Ok, fair enough.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:41 pm

A lot of people probably won't agree with this, but... Goku in the Video Games (at least), Sean Schemmel may not sound like Masako Nozawa, but he's taken the happy, naive, raised in the woods kid, also when he's pissed off too; and, made a pretty damn good English Equivalent in my opinion.

Other's would have to be, Dameon Clarke's Cell, Chris Rager's Mr. Satan, Rick Robertson's Dabra, and Eric Vale's Trunks.

If there's others I can think of, I'll add 'em here.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:42 pm

It's not always just about the sound of the voice, but the character it portrays. Voices can be slightly or even drastically different yet still convey the same personality.

I'll agree about Mr. Satan (as he is full well called in the uncut version). He's got every bit as much boastful, brutish oaf-ery in either language. Dabra too, though it's been ages since I've heard him in anything but short bits of game dialogue.

Likewise, I love what Sean Schemmel's Goku has become. Though he doesn't "sound like a girl" like Mrs. Nozawa's Goku, he still gets across the character very well. He can go from goofy, carefree Goku to super-serious, pissed off, defending his loved ones Goku. I only wish he'd been this good and had dialogue to show it with since the beginning.

Other dub characters I'd give a nod to are Kuririn, Garlic Jr, and Cell, off the top of my head.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 pm

To be perfectly honest, considering almost all of the movie-exclusive characters are one-dimensional, hardly interesting personalities with little to no realistic motivation or character traits other than "I wanna either rule the world or kill things lol", then I'd say that every movie character except for Tullece, Tapion, and #13 were done extremely faithfully. I mean, it'd be kinda hard for FUNi to mess any of them up.

The same holds true with minor characters like, say, Kaioshin, Oolong, Mr. Popo, or Pu'erh, who only have one or two real main personality hooks. Characters like that are just hard to get wrong.

But I'd say if I had to pick a non-movie main character that was done about as flawlessly as possible, I'd jump on the Mr. Satan train as well. Dabra was excellent in the dub too, but he's not major enough of a character to earn my nomination, although props to Robertson for the fantastic voice and performance.

But to throw out a new opinion, I think either Goten or Trunks were great in the dub too. Casting was great for both of them, acting was fantastic, and their dialogue made them SOUND like children. I'd say they were handled about as professionally as could be.

Oh, and Shen Long too. One of the few characters who Chris Sabat is truely perfect as.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:53 pm

MagicBox wrote:Oh, and Shen Long too. One of the few characters who Chris Sabat is truely perfect as.
I dunno. I honestly liked whoever voiced Shenlong when the Ocean Group was around. He actually sounded like a dragon-like figure, as opposed to a big deep voice. That he captured this growling tone in his voice that the original Shenlong (well, the one from later in Z anyways) had.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I'd agree with Dabura and Mr. Satan. Zarbon somewhat too actually. Out of the main main cast that matters I think that Schemmel did a good job as Goku IN THE 23rd BUDOKAI everywhere else I'm still not too fond of. Wish that his 23rd Budokai portrayal was how he portrayed Goku in future redubs instead of what we've got. He kinda portrays him in that way in Budokai 2 but that was the last Budokai game I played in English so I don't know or care what he sounded like afterward.
MagicBox wrote:To be perfectly honest, considering almost all of the movie-exclusive characters are one-dimensional, hardly interesting personalities with little to no realistic motivation or character traits other than "I wanna either rule the world or kill things lol", then I'd say that every movie character except for Tullece, Tapion, and #13 were done extremely faithfully.
While I agree with Tapion and #13 why'd you put Tullece. I'm not disputing it at all, I agree, but I'm kinda wondering if we're thinking about the same thing. Is it that he's not as maniacal or is it that he just plain isn't running the "What if Goku was evil" scenario like the movie supposed to portray. And I think that Chuck Huber just barely captured Akira Kamiya's Garlic Junior. Shigeru Chiba, yes, Akira Kamiya, not at all.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:59 pm

I also think Babidi. He may not sound like the original, but i think Duncan Brannan pulls him off extremely well IMO.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Vekurotto wrote:And I think that Chuck Huber just barely captured Akira Kamiya's Garlic Junior. Shigeru Chiba, yes, Akira Kamiya, not at all.
My main problem is that he forgets when to do Pilaf and when to do Garlic Jr. They sound waaaay too identical.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:10 pm

MagicBox wrote:But to throw out a new opinion, I think either Goten or Trunks were great in the dub too. Casting was great for both of them, acting was fantastic, and their dialogue made them SOUND like children. I'd say they were handled about as professionally as could be.
Goten's voice was a wee bit different in his first few episodes, but even before Edwards had really settled into the role he had become my favorite character anyway-- it was a genuinely appealing performance that sounded just right. I adore Masako Nozawa's Goten the same way, but in faith it's Kara Edwards that is the reason Goten's smiling face pops into every avatar of every message board I frequent.

Having seen both now, I think that the original Goten's character is nicely apparent in Edward's interpretation. My single gripe is that there's no Kamekame-Ha. :?
DBHighDefinition wrote:I also think Babidi. He may not sound like the original, but I think Duncan Brannan pulls him off extremely well IMO.
To give my honest opinion, Brannan's Babidi suprasses the original in some respects.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Ah, yes, I agree about Goten and Trunks. Both are good examples of what I said about not having to match the original voice to still be good and fitting.

Also, Babidi. Actually, I really dislike Babidi's Japanese voice. That' whiny, weasely sound... ugh.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 pm

And i think Stepahanie Nadolny should get some attention as well with her role as Goku. I thought that she was outstanding in Dragon Ball, just nailing Goku's role, catching pretty much every aspect of his personality perfectly IMO.