DBZ, Most Popular Anime in the US?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nikkolas
Regular

DBZ, Most Popular Anime in the US?

Post by Nikkolas » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 pm

I always wondered how Dragonball Z stacked up in fame here in the US compared to other big series like Pokemon or the current juggernaut, Naruto.
Is it/was it bigger than them?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:20 pm

I'd like to say that it was as big in it's hay day as Naruto is now, but in comparison to pokemon it doesn't stand a chance.

Nothing will ever be as big as pokemon was when it hit the US and the rest of the world and that's the truth.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Which actually really sucks becayse the Pokemon TV series really sucks. I love love love the games, but I just could never stomach the series.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:25 pm

What about Speed Racer, Thunder Cats, Voltron, ect?
­

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 pm

When you ask the average joe on the street they think most anime is Dragonball Z,Sailor Moon, or Pokemon. I will say it's way more known than Naruto is now.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:42 pm

I see what your all saying, but I just don't think it's the most recognizable.

If you had a picture of Goku and a picture of Pikachu and asked random people on the street who each character was odds are that more people would know Pikachu.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I see what your all saying, but I just don't think it's the most recognizable.

If you had a picture of Goku and a picture of Pikachu and asked random people on the street who each character was odds are that more people would know Pikachu.
Do answers like "That guy from Dragonball Z" count?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Rocketman wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:I see what your all saying, but I just don't think it's the most recognizable.

Do answers like "That guy from Dragonball Z" count?
I don't think so, because although you do have a point I still think that people would actually know who Pikachu is.

DBZ - huge in the US in the late 90's and early 00's

Pokemon - Epically huge across the world in the late 90's and early 00's
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:43 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I'd like to say that it was as big in it's hay day as Naruto is now, but in comparison to pokemon it doesn't stand a chance.

Nothing will ever be as big as pokemon was when it hit the US and the rest of the world and that's the truth.
Spongebob Squarepants.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:45 pm

I wanna say...it was definitely way more popular than Naruto is, but not nearly as popular as Pokemon.

I mean, did we ever get a Shenlong balloon in the Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade? *Points to the Pikachu parade balloon*.

You need to be HUGELY popular to get your own parade balloon.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Pokemon was and is the most popular anime in the whole world.

DBZ was probably the most popular anime in the 90's with Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho in the world.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Taku128 wrote:What about Speed Racer, Thunder Cats, Voltron, ect?
Thundercats isn't even really anime, despite the intro. That's like calling X-Men anime because of the outro in the later part of the series.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:04 pm

"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Yay, Tenchi's high up there! I'd say that's the thing that brought me truly into the depths of more obscure anime.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Cowboy Bebop? Higher than Pokemon?
I fail this list.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Ya know now that I think of it I don't even really know why pokemon was so popular.

I didn't play many handheld games as a kid so can someone answer this for me. Were the pokemon games something really revolutionary with the leveling system and what not or was it just because all the pretty monsters were appealing to kids?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Taku128 wrote:What about Speed Racer, Thunder Cats, Voltron, ect?
Thundercats isn't even really anime, despite the intro. That's like calling X-Men anime because of the outro in the later part of the series.
Sorry, don't actually have any familiarity with the series. I was just naming popular shows that were animated in Japan, didn't know it was animated for the US though.
­

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Ya know now that I think of it I don't even really know why pokemon was so popular.

I didn't play many handheld games as a kid so can someone answer this for me. Were the pokemon games something really revolutionary with the leveling system and what not or was it just because all the pretty monsters were appealing to kids?
I hate Japanese RPGs, as a whole.

I hate turn-based combat, the way the Japanese do it.

And yet.

I loved the Pokemon games. I *still* love the Pokemon games.

There is something indescribably endearing about the series. The combat is easy to pick up and rather simple, but it actually has a lot of depth to it too.

It's really, I suppose, hard to explain why the series is so damn infectious. It's just a really solid, great series of games. I'm an adult that, just a year ago, was playing the newest Pokemon game. I was totally enthralled. It's crazy.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am

There are also a lot of guys in their 20s who still love and can sing to this day.this song to this day.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Super Sonic wrote:There are also a lot of guys in their 20s who still love and can sing to this day.this song to this day.
Like this? I think that is originally form the most subscribed poster on Youtube. Goes to show its popularity.

I remember in like 95 or 96 when they sent out a promo VHS for the show before it aired. I think I still have it; that was pretty badass at the time since I was only 5 or 6. The show was very popular for the first few years, then quality went down hill.

Is it really that popular in U.S. anymore? I haven't heard anything about it in years. I'm in high school and I look around I still see some people still wearing Dragonabll merchandise, but never any Pokemon stuff. (Wow, even the spell check on the forum is against Dragonball. It says that Pokemon is a word and Dragonball isn't) :x
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."