Insights and Questions from the New Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Insights and Questions from the New Special

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:10 pm

The following is some insights I gained from the special and some questions. I would love to hear your thoughts and insights as well.

1. Vegeta wore his old Capsule Corp., Battle Jacket because it is Saiyan formal wear. An insight on Saiyan culture I did not know.

2. Apparently, there is a newer model of Scouter on the market that can read combat strength readings that go into the millions or perhaps billions before they blow up.

3. I learned what Vegeta’s reaction was to his little brother and his wife. He was almost kind and showed concern, which is saying a lot for Vegeta. In addition to this, he really surprised me with “the honor is mine” comment to Gure. The strange part is that Tarble did not react to this behavior that is supposed to be uncharacteristic of a Saiyan. Perhaps it was more to their ethics than many like to claim.

4. Avo and Cado used to rank as high as the Ginyu Tokusentai, now they are as strong as Freeza.

5. In their base form chibi Trunks and Goten is as strong as Freeza.

6. Avo and Cado have something that looks like a shortened version of the Fusion Dance that not only offers more strength but more mass as well.

7. The Metamoran fusion can be dissolved rather quickly and the users do not have to wait a certain period until they can fuse again.

8. Kakarrot is still an ass and the bias against Vegeta was honestly shown throughout the special on the part Kakarrot.

The only questions I have is does this special fit into the main continuity? In addition, what did Vegeta mean that Trunks lacked “motivation” like his mother? Was Vegeta speaking in general or was he talking about training? If so, did he attempt to train Bulma at one period in time?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Insights and Questions from the New Special

Post by Drabaz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:1. Vegeta wore his old Capsule Corp., Battle Jacket because it is Saiyan formal wear. An insight on Saiyan culture I did not know.
No, I think he was just wearing it because he still wants to fight Goku. So wearing that armor is pretty much a sign of "I'm ready."
Saiyan-Professor wrote: 2. Apparently, there is a newer model of Scouter on the market that can read combat strength readings that go into the millions or perhaps billions before they blow up.
That's a minor inconsistancy. It's relavent to when sombody powers up and then sombody else says, "I've never felt anything like this. His ki energy is huge!" They do this at least 4 times in the show. :)
Saiyan-Professor wrote:3. I learned what Vegeta’s reaction was to his little brother and his wife. He was almost kind and showed concern, which is saying a lot for Vegeta. In addition to this, he really surprised me with “the honor is mine” comment to Gure. The strange part is that Tarble did not react to this behavior that is supposed to be uncharacteristic of a Saiyan. Perhaps it was more to their ethics than many like to claim.
I'm actually surprised we never saw Tarble's reaction to seeing a Super Saiya-jin.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:7. The Metamoran fusion can be dissolved rather quickly and the users do not have to wait a certain period until they can fuse again.
Yea, i noticed this too, but it's just one of those things you're supposed to over look. I was like, "Hey wait.....nah nevermind it's hilarious. I'll let it slide."
Saiyan-Professor wrote:In addition, what did Vegeta mean that Trunks lacked “motivation” like his mother? Was Vegeta speaking in general or was he talking about training? If so, did he attempt to train Bulma at one period in time?
Hahaha! He was just saying he would train Trunks but it would be against Trunks' will because it's not somthing he wants to do and wouldn't put all of his efforts into. Just like in the end of Z in which both Goten and Trunks lost all motivation to train since the world was at peace. "What's the point in training when I could be out gettin my mac on!"
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 pm

It was WAY too short for sure.

The ending punch? We've never had just one punch without a dragon fist or a hole through the body as a defeat, and they didnt explain how they became 'good' right at the end.

They could have made it a full hour if they wanted; just seems rush to me. But I LOVE big guys attacks.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:1. Vegeta wore his old Capsule Corp., Battle Jacket because it is Saiyan formal wear. An insight on Saiyan culture I did not know.
I was glad they gave some explanation for this. Personally, this was my favorite design for Vegeta.
2. Apparently, there is a newer model of Scouter on the market that can read combat strength readings that go into the millions or perhaps billions before they blow up.
The obvious explanation is that Tarble isn't much of a fighter, but a brilliant scientist (who has improved the scouter's reading capabilities) ;p
3. I learned what Vegeta’s reaction was to his little brother and his wife. He was almost kind and showed concern, which is saying a lot for Vegeta. In addition to this, he really surprised me with “the honor is mine” comment to Gure. The strange part is that Tarble did not react to this behavior that is supposed to be uncharacteristic of a Saiyan. Perhaps it was more to their ethics than many like to claim.
One of my favorite scenes. It's uncharacteristic, but seeing Vegeta bow like that made me crack up laughing.
4. Avo and Cado used to rank as high as the Ginyu Tokusentai, now they are as strong as Freeza.

Now that is impressive. This has to mean that Goten and Trunks have trained since the end of Z, since I'm fairly certain they weren't that strong before. Or maybe it was their training in the RoSaT that gave them this strength (I don't think we see them fight separately between that and the end of Z).
7. The Metamoran fusion can be dissolved rather quickly and the users do not have to wait a certain period until they can fuse again.
Comedy or mastery of the art? Maybe a little of both. It was still hilarious.
8. Kakarrot is still an ass and the bias against Vegeta was honestly shown throughout the special on the part Kakarrot.
I loved the rivalry between them in this special. Sure, Vegeta isn't as die-hard about beating Goku now, but he's still trying to one-up him at petty things (eating contests, etc). The ending was perhaps one of my favorite endings in all the specials/movies so far ("I thought we were friends!" "YOU THOUGHT WRONG!").
The only questions I have is does this special fit into the main continuity? In addition, what did Vegeta mean that Trunks lacked “motivation” like his mother? Was Vegeta speaking in general or was he talking about training? If so, did he attempt to train Bulma at one period in time?
Hm, it could fit I suppose. The special ends with the narrator talking about how it was a "tale of an evil menace that failed to register in public memory." And, aside from Vegeta's brother, there's not really anything to exclude it from continuity.

As for Vegeta's comment, I thought he was talking about motivation in general. In GT he seems to be fairly lazy with regards to the running of Capsule Corporation, no?

-Corey

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I thought it was good non-canon fun for all. It proves to me how popular and strong Dragon Ball is still going after all of these years. I also thought the animation was particularly interesting. It used more rounded line like early DBZ or DB and the seemingly high quality pastel colors of the end of DBZ. I also like the sorta remixed intro with Truks and Goten doing the thing Gohan did.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:The obvious explanation is that Tarble isn't much of a fighter, but a brilliant scientist (who has improved the scouter's reading capabilities) ;p
Rygal Seven's at it again!

And I was also glad that they used that design for Vegeta. It was my favorite one, and it's his most well-known.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Drabaz wrote:No, I think he was just wearing it because he still wants to fight Goku. So wearing that armor is pretty much a sign of "I'm ready."
Yeah that is most likely the case but then again all that we saw the Saiyans wearing in flashbacks were the Battle Jackets.
I'm actually surprised we never saw Tarble's reaction to seeing a Super Saiya-jin.
That is a good question. This goes along with my theory that other Saiyans survived the destruction of Planet Vegeta and perhaps some have achieved Super Saiyan as well. Dragonball GT never explained how Redgic knew that Chibi-Kakarrot was a Saiyan.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:The obvious explanation is that Tarble isn't much of a fighter, but a brilliant scientist (who has improved the scouter's reading capabilities) ;p
That is not a bad idea but also perhaps some of the remnants from Freeza’s Empire is still around and they took over the production of the Scouters after Freeza’s kingdom was destroyed by Vegeta in the filler scenes.
Now that is impressive. This has to mean that Goten and Trunks have trained since the end of Z, since I'm fairly certain they weren't that strong before. Or maybe it was their training in the RoSaT that gave them this strength (I don't think we see them fight separately between that and the end of Z).
Apparently so I just love the fighting in base form scenes.
As for Vegeta's comment, I thought he was talking about motivation in general. In GT he seems to be fairly lazy with regards to the running of Capsule Corporation, no?

-Corey
That is true but I just thought it was strange that he said that within the context of some comments concerning training.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 pm

As an alternative explanation; I thought right away that Tarble was merely comparing Avo and Cado's power as being comparable to that of First form Freeza's. not final form Freeza. If I may add, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it mentioned during the Namek arc, that very few had the privilege of seeing or even knowing of Freeza's actual form? I doubt Goten and Trunks were as Strong as Freeza's final form. In my belief, I'd scale them at around the same stage as when base form Goku first had the chance face Freeza, at best.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:00 pm

So is anybody else having trouble with this frickin' "browser."

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Of course, all I get is a white screen.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Snail wrote:

As an alternative explanation; I thought right away that Tarble was merely comparing Avo and Cado's power as being comparable to that of First form Freeza's. not final form Freeza. If I may add, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it mentioned during the Namek arc, that very few had the privilege of seeing or even knowing of Freeza's actual form? I doubt Goten and Trunks were as Strong as Freeza's final form. In my belief, I'd scale them at around the same stage as when base form Goku first had the chance face Freeza, at best.
Yet, no one ever contradicted the statement throughout the first part of the fight. The only time that any concern was shown was when Aka was formed. Speaking of Aka he must be extremely strong given that it took base form (primarily) post Room of Space and Time Gotenks to beat him.
Innagadadavida wrote:So is anybody else having trouble with this frickin' "browser."
It took me along time to download it but once it downloaded fully it worked fine. I was wondering why everyone is having so many problems with it. I watched it 4 times now with no drag in the stream.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Checked it out on a different computer and it's working great. WOW! Launch is in it. That's strange, I thought she disappeared forever.

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Wich form of Frieza?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Wich form of Freeza?

The special does not say which of Freeza’s forms that Avo and Cado could be compared to. I would believe the 4th form because when Avo and Cado “Merge” (their version of dance fusion or should we call theirs “Vogue Fusion” :D) into Aka Super Saiyan 1 Gotenks could not finish him off.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Wich form of Freeza?
It seems to me that people saying this are putting more thought into it than the creators did. The way I see it, it was an offhand comment meant to say that Trunks and Goten are about as strong as or a bit stronger than Frieza as Super Saiyan Goku fought him.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:It seems to me that people saying this are putting more thought into it than the creators did. The way I see it, it was an offhand comment meant to say that Trunks and Goten are about as strong as or a bit stronger than Freeza as Super Saiyan Goku fought him.
I say First Form Freeza, because Freeza himself says that no-one had even seen his third form before, much less his final form.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:45 pm

So how about Gotenks learning the Wolf Fang Fist? 8)

I'm officially lobbying the creators of the games to give him that attack in the next game!
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Wich form of Freeza?

The special does not say which of Freeza’s forms that Avo and Cado could be compared to. I would believe the 4th form because when Avo and Cado “Merge” (their version of dance fusion or should we call theirs “Vogue Fusion” :D) into Aka Super Saiyan 1 Gotenks could not finish him off.
Okey then.I didn't watch the special yet but when Ako and Cado merged SSJ Gotenks wasn't a match right?

Oh and apparently SSJ Goku>>>>SSJ Gotenks,and somehow Android 18 can sense Ki but she didn't know how to do that in the Buu saga

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:It seems to me that people saying this are putting more thought into it than the creators did. The way I see it, it was an offhand comment meant to say that Trunks and Goten are about as strong as or a bit stronger than Freeza as Super Saiyan Goku fought him.
I say First Form Freeza, because Freeza himself says that no-one had even seen his third form before, much less his final form.
The problem with this line of thought is that the creators of this special didn't even bother with the(FAR more recent) rules of fusion. If they didn't care for continuity enough to make Goten and Trunks wait between fusions, I seriously doubt that an offhanded comment meant to gauge the relative power of these new foes would bother to factor in forms and who knows what without saying so outright.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Perhaps but that was a giant increase in power when they “Merged”, if Avo and Cado was at form 1 Freeza’s level then their version of fusion is superior to the Metamoran one.
Last edited by Saiyan-Professor on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.