Shedding Tears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Shedding Tears

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:01 am

We've all done it. In a series as long as Dragon Ball, it's impossible not to get attached to some characters. And the more emotional and empathetic ones such as I will shed a tear every now and then. So which moments have you found "a little something in your eyes?"

My biggest one was when Goku finally found out that the masked man he was fighting at Fortuneteller Baba's was actually Grampa Gohan. I watched the dub and the moment was perfect. I did cry, but just a little.

Another moment was when T ien was draining his life energy to keep semi-perfect Cell from capturing Android 18. I didn't know that Goku would save him so I was sure that he was going to die.

Please don't respond just to let us know how manly you are by never crying. I don't care and I'm sure others don't either.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:08 am

Let's see. I can recall 3 times.

1. I was pretty choked up when Future Gohan died. That whole scene with Trunks in the rain was so emotional. I loved the Dubs music in that scene.

2. For some reason I cry when everyone thinks Goku was killed by Kame-sennin in the 21'st Budokai. Especially Kuririn's screaming at Kame-sennin.

3. When Kuririn was killed by Tambourine I also cried.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:14 am

I get choked up every time Krillin dies. He's my favorite character and he just doesn't deserve it. He's like the Kenny of Dragon Ball (although it's never funny when he dies).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:17 am

I've actually never cried over DB. I guess its because I don't find Toriyama's works to have moments that are that moving to me (probably because all his works are gag-manga). As for happy-induced tears, I just never tend to cry at those moments under any circumstances. Emotional deficiency? :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:28 am

Mine would be when Freeza shoots Vegeta through the heart with his “Death Beam” and Vegeta attempts to give Kakarrot the motivation to kill Freeza by recounting the Saiyan’s relationship with Freeza. The flashbacks provided an extra something that the manga lacked. The next is when Vegeta used the Saishyuu Saigo no Waza (Ultimate Final Skill) against Fat Buu. The last one would be the concluding episode of Dragonball GT.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 am

Like Dayspring, I've come to see DB as too much of a comedy/action series to really get too absorbed in the drama. But there's a few parts I've gotten choked up over...

1) Gohan's death in the Trunks special. It was one of the first DBZ portions I'd ever seen; I still have it on VHS taped off of Cartoon Network somewhere. Once I got the special on DVD and watched it uncut (and in Japanese), it was even "better."
2) Goku's death teleporting Cell away. Both version of this scene really do it for me.
3) Goku relaying the news of Vegeta and Gohan's death/"death" by Buu to the others, and their subsequent reactions. Especially Bulma's.
4) Bee getting shot.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:38 am

So far, the only scene that has got me all teary is the ending montage at the end of DBGT episode 64... and I know I'm not alone on this. :wink:

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:54 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:3) Goku relaying the news of Vegeta and Gohan's death/"death" by Buu to the others, and their subsequent reactions. Especially Bulma's.
4) Bee getting shot.
Oh yeah. Those 2 are good ones. Especially when Goku tells about Vegeta and Gohan. I love in the Dub whe Kuririn goes "Come on Goku".
SSj_Rambo wrote:So far, the only scene that has got me all teary is the ending montage at the end of DBGT episode 64... and I know I'm not alone on this. :wink:
Ya know, this scene always got me sentimental. But not teary. However at the end of the Episode in the Dub whe Goku says "Till we meet again guys" and The End pops up...Geez, teary eyed galore. I'm actually hoping on FUNi's remastered sets. They keep Dan Dan in during the montage, but keep in the Voices that were in their Dub. I'd like to see those 2 together.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:06 am

Gozar wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:So far, the only scene that has got me all teary is the ending montage at the end of DBGT episode 64... and I know I'm not alone on this. :wink:
Ya know, this scene always got me sentimental. But not teary. However at the end of the Episode in the Dub whe Goku says "Till we meet again guys" and The End pops up...Geez, teary eyed galore. I'm actually hoping on FUNi's remastered sets. They keep Dan Dan in during the montage, but keep in the Voices that were in their Dub. I'd like to see those 2 together.
I doubt anyone could get any kind of emotional response with Menza's music blaring in the background.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:20 am

Is Menza's music really that bad? I like his scores in the movies he does, but I haven't seen GT.
I'm looking forward to the GT Season Box Sets, if I don't like his music then I'll switch it to the Japanese score.

/off topic

When Vegeta sees Trunks get killed by Cell then goes ballistic doesn't make me cry, but I do get a little sentimental.

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:30 am

I have teared up a few times. I can't remember what all of them were though. I just know one in particular... when Goku sacraficed himself to save Gohan and everyone else... that got me.

Oh yeah and when Goten meets Goku for the first time, I teared up a bit there too.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:33 am

Hm, let's see...

1) Goku reuniting with Granpa Gohan. For some reason, it was a happy kind of sadness because it's the first time we see Goku actually crying but still being the happy kid he was. And at the end, he wasn't brought down by the fact that he wouldn't be able to see his grandfather again.

2) Goku dying from being hit by the Makankosappou. Do I really gotta explain this? We watched him grow up over the years and just as we see him enjoying his adult-hood, Son Goku dies. To top it all off, the jerk dies with a smile on his face both after falling back from the beam and just as he dies. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SMILE WHILE I GRIEVE! ;;

3) Yamcha, Chaozu, Tenshinhan and Piccolo's deaths. While I didn't cry, I did feel rather sad by their deaths. Yamcha gets surprise attacked, Chaozu and Tenshinhan go all out to try and slow Nappa down but we see their attacks have absolutely NO EFFECT on him. Then Piccolo does the unexpected and jumps in the way of Nappa's blast that's aimed right at Gohan. You feel bad because everyone trained for a year and it all turned out to be for nothing. They all ended up dying, one by one. And these were the same guys who we all thought were the strongest fighters back in Dragon Ball. People we didn't think could ever be surpassed prior to Piccolo Daimao's existence (in the case of everyone but Piccolo).

4) Freeza doing in Vegeta and Kuririn, while almost killing Piccolo and aiming his sights on Gohan. Wow, this was rough. Vegeta not only dies, but he also lowers himself by asking the very person he once mocked to fight on his behalf for his own pride. To defeat the very person who shattered his pride by showing him that very same feeling of humiliation. He tossed away his pride and begged someone he once mocked and thought he himself was better than him. Then you have Piccolo getting beamed and left for dead, followed by Kuririn suddenly being killed (at this point, we're still at the point of "Oh no...he's already been brought back to life before!" since Porunga was gone and Shenlong was their only hope) and then Gohan being Freeza's next target. Once again, people we all thought who were incredibly strong being picked away at as if they were nothing.

5) Flashback of everyone being killed by the Artificial Humans. Wow, this was rough. We already knew everyone was killed by #17 and #18 by what Trunks told us, but seeing it happen in the TV special and the TV series really hurt. When you see even Yajirobe being killed, you can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness. As in when even one of the weaker guys who normally runs away at the first sign of danger actually attempts to fight but ends up being killed with ease. And these deaths are brutal too. Not only that, but Goku's been dead due to his heart condition. So no one could depend on Goku, nor wish him back due to the fact that he had died of natural causes. Trunks' future was a horrible reality where all of the gang we grew up with were all dead.

6) Goku's arrival back in the living realm. This is what makes Dragon Ball so great. The whole friendship aspect. When Goku came back, you couldn't help but feel overjoyed by seeing that goofball back with the friends and family he grew up with. Not only that, but things had changed while he was gone. His first-born had grown up, he had a second son, his best friend grew out his hair and had a family, and his rival even decided to settle down with Bulma and their child. You also couldn't help but laugh when Goku kinda gets weirded out by the fact that #18 is walking casually among with the group.

7) Goku's departure back to the realm of the dead. This one made you wanna hold things back. Goku had to leave. He was leaving behind his family once again. Not only this, but he had to leave when the planet was in dire need of him. To make matters worse...Goten has to go and want a hug from his daddy and not wanna let go. ;; Then of course, you end up laughing when Goku tells everyone he'll see them all again once they die (to which Kuririn asks if that's a bad omen).

8) Goku firing the Super Genki Dama against Majin Boo. The music is what makes this scene so great. Goku's finally got everything in the bag. He looks back on how much trouble Boo has caused and how he himself was even getting tired of him changing forms. Then he finally does it. After such a long struggle, he finally puts Majin Boo away. Seeing everyone give their Genki to Goku and telling him to fire it just adds on to the great scene.

9) Goku leaving at the end of GT. Something about Goku...he really does make a lot of these types of scenes. The guy acts like he's going to be gone only for a little bit, but Vegeta seems to know something is up. Goku then says goodbye to Piccolo and apologizes to him for causing him so much trouble during his lifetime and for having him go to Hell. He has one last match with Kuririn, as well as seeing Roshi and "Urigome" (as he continuously calls him) one last time. He flies over the areas where Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chaozu are and vanishes with Shenlong and the Dragon Balls. It's such a mystery as to what exactly happened, that even to this day we STILL don't know if Goku actually died or not.

10) The ending montage during the final episode of GT. Here it is. The real kicker. Goku walks away from the Tenkaichi Budokai of the future as several scenes from Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT show up, such as Goku meeting all of his friends for the first time, enemies arriving for the first time and doing what they do, etc. All while Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku plays in the background. Then, finally, Goku salutes us, leaps in the air with the Nyoi-bo while waving goodbye, and takes off with the Kinto'un, while the words "THE END" come up on screen.

11 years have come and gone since GT's end (or rather, the end of Dragon Ball all together) as well as since we last saw Goku and everyone else. Being able to see them all at least one more time was such an incredible treat. It was like reuniting with long lost friends.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:42 am

Wow, Tsukento. You put a lot of thought into this!
Tsukento wrote: 3) Yamcha, Chaozu, Tenshinhan and Piccolo's deaths.
I got a little teary eyed when Chaozu sacrificed himself in vein, and Tien's reaction. Yamcha, however, (as much as I love the guy) should have seen that coming. He's had enough training to sense Ki, he should have dodged. He had that fight in the bag. Piccolo's speech was a little sappy, but I bought it.
Tsukento wrote: 4) Freeza doing in Vegeta and Kuririn, while almost killing Piccolo and aiming his sights on Gohan.
This reminded me of when Vegeta cried when he was fighting Freeza. That was pretty intense. I don't think I cried but I must have had a sickly face while I watched it.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 am

Tenshinhan's 'last' Kikohou really did bring tears to my eyes.

Also, Bee getting shot was pretty upsetting. It was weird seeing such a comedic character like Mr. Satan getting upset. I really felt pretty bad for him and Buu at that moment.. Still, it was nice to see Mr. Satan kick some ass!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:05 am

1. Kuririn's first death. It was the first death of a major character in the series and was just so shocking.

2. Goku's first death. 'Nuff said.

3. Android 16's head getting stepped on. That was just so..... mean. I felt Gohan at that moment.

4. GT ending. I was literally bawling through this one.

5. The most recent: the opening of the latest special. After so long, and seeing this cute opening.... I was really teary.

A few other times I think I got close to tears, like Roshi/Chaozu's death, and when Vegeta blows himself up.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:33 am

Wow...I may cry while writing this!
1.) Future Gohan is killed
I still cry thinking about it now. I mean, he probably knew he was going to die. Thus he knocked out Trunks, who would avenge him (seven fold lol).
The fight it self, Gohan gave it everything! He almost beat those Jinzonigen in the TV Special, with a single arm. But alas, he failed. But because of his death, Trunks becomes a Super Saiyajin.

2.) Vegeta blows himself up
When I saw this for the first on Toonami, I was a forth grader. I remember the next day, my friends and I were all so sad.
"Vegeta died! But he's too hardcore! How could this happen!?" -me, seven years ago.
Thinking about it now. Wow, we...Vegeta has come so far as a person. I feel like I grew up with Vegeta. I was very much like Vegeta in my youth, and around the time Vegeta died I changed too (Like Vegeta). So, this is an important, but a special death/moment.

3.) Goku, the second time
What is there to say, but this a recent moment that has made me sad. I think it started when I saw Vegetto EX's or Mr. SEX's AMV Succession.
Now, through most of my fandom, I've hated Son-Goku. I hated how he got all the attention. But during the Cell games, as he sacrificed himself, I felt like something was wrong. I missed Goku's presence. I can't explain it. I was glad Gohan was finally in the spotlight, full force. But I did miss Goku.
Now, I wasn't particularly glad that he came back during the Buu arc as he became the main character. But I did like that he was back teaching the kids fusion.

So there is my 1-3 emo moments.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:41 am

I did get choked up at the part of the manga where Goku finally gets to see his grandfather again. Another would have to be Kuririn's first and second deaths. Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho against Cell was a very emotional moment, and Vegeta's last words after he was shot by Freeza really made for a dramatic moment. These are only the ones right off the top of my head, but there are many more. Dragon Ball truly has some magnificently dramatic moments that are both touching and powerful.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:44 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I doubt anyone could get any kind of emotional response with Menza's music blaring in the background.
As it just so happens. I did. So take that Mr. Negativity. :P I happen to like Menza's Music in the final Episode. It worked for me.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 am

Yi Xing Long wrote:I did get choked up at the part of the manga where Goku finally gets to see his grandfather again. Another would have to be Kuririn's first and second deaths. Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho against Cell was a very emotional moment, and Vegeta's last words after he was shot by Freeza really made for a dramatic moment. These are only the ones right off the top of my head, but there are many more. Dragon Ball truly has some magnificently dramatic moments that are both touching and powerful.
Vegeta's first death was quiet sad, just watched that episode to day actually.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 am

The scene that really got me was when Piccolo died from Nappa's blast during the Saiyan Arc. I felt the same way Gohan did. The Japanese version was way more dramatic and....I'm tearing up just typing about it.

Another one that got to me was when Goten started crying when Goku had to go back to Heaven during the Buu/Fusion arc. It was one of those moments that caught me off guard. Everyone was already sad that he was leaving, but Goten's emotion towards his father's departure was something I could relate to.